Rey Mysterio vs. Chavo Guerrero; King Booker & Queen Sharmell in the Locker Room; Extreme Rules Match for the ECW Championship: Big Show vs. Sabu; The Sexiest Women on TV: The 2006 WWE Diva... See full synopsis »
Six-Man Tag Match: Spike Dudley and The Dudleys vs. Rey Mysterio, Paul London and Billy Kidman; 'Til Death Do Us Part Match: Kane vs. Matt Hardy; John Cena Interrupts Randy Orton's ... See full synopsis »
The biggest Superstars of RAW and SmackDown! clash at Royal Rumble to determine who will go to WrestleMania 21 as the heavyweight contender. The Road to WrestleMania begins as RAW and SmackDown! present WWE Royal Rumble.
Matt Hardy vs Edge, Chris Benoit vs Orlando Jordan, Kurt Angle vs Eugene, The Undertaker vs Randy Orton, Eddie Guerrero vs Rey Mysterio, John Cena vs Chris Jericho, JBL vs Batista, Hulk Hogan vs Shawn Michaels.
World Heavyweight Title Match: Chris Benoit (c) versus Shawn Michaels versus Triple H. WWE Intercontinental Title Match: Randy Orton (c) versus Cactus Jack. WWE Women's Title Match: Victoria versus Lita.
The 15th annual WWF Royal Rumble, with the winner to recieve a WWF Title shot at Wrestlemania X8, Undisputed WWF Title: Chris Jericho vs. The Rock, WWF Intercontinental Title: Edge vs. ... See full summary »
Your opinion about this PPV will largely depend on your opinion about the Shawn Michaels vs. Triple H match, since it takes up almost a third (!) of the total running time. Seven matches are presented:
1) La Resistance vs. Edge and Chris Benoit (for the tag-team title). A regular tag-team match, Edge gets it most of the time, Benoit comes to his rescue...and then Kane enters the scene and attacks them both, interrupting the match. No ending, thus no rating.
2) Chris Jericho vs. Tyson Tomko (with Trish Stratus). Mediocre match with a lame finish: Tomko has the advantage, but he accidentally runs into Trish and Jericho knocks him out with a kick. **
3) Shelton Benjamin vs. Randy Orton (for the intercontinental title). A very long match, incorporating many different styles of combat (ground wrestling, acrobatic moves, even boxing). Some crucial interferences by Ric Flair (what a surprise!). **1/2
4) Trish Stratus vs. Gail Kim vs. Victoria vs. Lita (for the women's title). The "sudden death, fatal 4-way" concept doesn't work. Each woman gets only one or two opportunities to shine, and the action is hard-to-follow. Gail Kim, in particular, deserved better (by the way, they had a woman who looks AND wrestles like that and they let her go? What were they thinking?). **
5) Eugene vs. Jonathan Coachman. I expected this to be garbage, and I was right. A disgrace. 1/2
6) Chris Benoit vs. Kane (for the heavyweight title). I agree that THIS should have been the main event. Kane is awesome here; he's like a comic-book creation. The match is pretty slow, but the sheer physical power (Kane) and technique (Benoit) on display make it worth your while. ***
7) Triple H vs. Shawn Michaels. "Hell in a cell" match. This one is a matter of taste. If you like them bloody, brutal and exhausting, you'll have a field day. If not, you'll probably find it (after a while) boring and interminable (it goes on for almost 50 minutes!). **1/2
0 of 0 people found this review helpful.
Was this review helpful to you?