IMDb > Girl Play (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Girl Play

Girl Play More at IMDbPro »

Funny and Real, I LOVED THIS MOVIE!!!!!!!!

Author: fresands2002 from Los Angeles, CA
9 September 2004

I saw this movie at OutFest in Los Angeles and I have to say as one of the few straight white males in the audience I couldn't have been more involved in the "characters" (in quotes since the movie is based on the actresses' life stories) and their stories. The filmmakers have done such a fantastic job of bringing these women's life stories to 'life' on the big screen in a compelling and hysterical way.

I found myself laughing uncontrollably at the situations these women find and get themselves into. But, I was also really impressed at how I was able to relate to their lives and saw similarities to things in my own life. It's pretty amazing that no matter what your race, gender or sexual preference there are moments and things we all go through.

But, no matter how poignant and real the story was the most important thing for me was how funny it was. Lacie and Robin's situations and stories are just FUNNY AS HELL and the scenes with Dom DeLuise and his assistant are some of the funniest moments I've seen in a movie theater in a long while. Not to give anything away but the scene with Robin and her mom (played terrifically by Mink Stole) was not only real and but absolutely hilarious.

I was completely captivated and really loved this movie from start to finish. I can't wait til it comes out in theaters so I can see it again.

...vibrant, smart, hilarious, and unsentimental love story

Author: Meredith Muncy
2 August 2004

GIRL PLAY is a vibrant, smart, hilarious, and unsentimental love story about two stage actors, Robin Greenspan and Lacie Harmon, cast as the leads in a romantic play. The women come fully equipped with compelling reasons why their falling in love with each other is simply not an option: Robin lives with her life partner in a clearly defined world, replete with Post-it reminders and insurance policies, and Lacie has recently come to embrace her commitment-phobia in full. But when their eccentric stage director (played to perfection by Dom Deluise) insists at rehearsals that the two women experience one electrifying and vulnerable moment after another, their chemistry has no place to go but up.

For all kinds of reasons, these two should not fall in love, and yet we all know where this story is going. But we don't know what fresh, unexpected, and delightful trouble it will trigger; nor whether these women will actually overcome their obstacles and make it – especially given Robin's terror at the mere possibility of hurting and disappointing her live-in girlfriend. The fear takes her back to the dread-filled moments that led to her coming out to her provincial mother (flawlessly played by Mink Stole). And Lacie clings to her independence after she revisits her most recent unbearably awkward, horror-show-down breakup with a demi-semi-steady.

The story unfolds beautifully, mixing narrative and direct-address narration. Because the writing, acting, direction, and editing are so incredibly deft, this hybrid means of story-telling and story-showing works beautifully. It reminds me of High Fidelity in that seamless way of mixing narrative, direct address, and flashbacks.

Mink Stole and Dom Deloise might have stolen the movie, had Robin Greenspan and Lacie Harmon not given such strong and appealing performances. Forgive the reductive Hollywood-ese of this analysis, but Robin Greenspan's hilarious neurotic practicality is young-Woody-Allen good, and Lacie Harmon's hilarious wry cynicism is young-Bruce-Willis sexy! What's more, these two leading ladies also wrote the movie. What's more than THAT…the movie is based on their true story. What's not to love!?

Wonderfully refreshing and sexy romantic comedy!

Author: kristin-54 from Los Angeles, CA
4 August 2004

In this hilarious and poignant romantic comedy, GIRL PLAY tells the story of Robin and Lacy. They're each in a committed relationship, yet they're falling in love with each other. In an intimate journey through their love lives, Robin and Lacy tell us; how they've become afraid of ending long-term relationships because... what else is there?, being uninterested sexually with a have-sex-with-me-NOW-what's-wrong-with-you girlfriend, being afraid to "come out" to a match-making Jewish mother, and, oh yeah, falling in love with a new co-star while in a play about relationships.

I laughed, I cried, I remembered the ridiculous things that I did, said and felt when falling in and out of love. Robin and Lacy bring such an honesty to their roles, I felt like I was watching two friends.

Turns out, this is a true story and the actors are also the people they portray! Oh, did I mention the extremely hot sex scene? Thank you Lee Friedlander for tastefully showing two women make love. My husband and I both thank you! Go see this movie. You will remember why you ever fell in love in the first place, no matter who it is you love.

Kissing Jessica who??

Powerful characters, intelligent writing

Author: rosie52 from United States
15 January 2005

The story is well written, the characters engaging. The most original and probably the funniest lesbian movie I've seen in a long time. A powerful story that develops as the characters continue to realize that they are meant to be together. I found myself connecting with the characters, as their love relationship blossomed and they struggled with the emerging feelings for each other. In addition, one character deals with the struggle of coming out to her parents the other struggles with her own demons. I would gladly purchase this movie for my collection. It's one that I could watch again and again. Not only for the laughs, but because it's about real girls. Rosanne

Refreshing and inventive

Author: cartercomm from United States
15 January 2005

This is a fine, small movie. As a straight man, I honestly had little expectation to enjoy this very much, so I was pleasantly surprised I enjoyed it so much.

Usually I go to pictures where things blow up, or something vital is at risk, but I found this funny and not too deep into itself, in other words, I like that they (the actors and film makers) can laugh at themselves, while taking on 'serious' topics, such as relationships, coming out, etc.

I want to see it again!

I like the intimacy shared by Robin and Lacie, with the audience, I found them both to be engaging and entertaining.

While the sound threw me off in couple of spots, (I don't know if it was the theater), the humor was catchy enough to carry me past the little distraction and i found myself laughing out loud throughout the film. All in all, I found it to be Enjoyable.

We laughed, we cried and then we rejoiced!

Author: joencarol from United States
25 January 2005

Obviously, we just loved this movie. The acting was wonderful and the story was enthralling (all the more so because it is true). You don't have to be gay to enjoy this. It has everything and then some. Lacie Harmon and Robin Greenspan wrote the movie and also play themselves. What charmers. We saw it at the Festival in DC and intend to see it again when it comes to NYC. There was mention of a sequel when the writers were questioned in DC. I hope this is so. If they ever sell the DVD rights, this will be added to our permanent library. I don't understand why it has such a low rating on this website. It would seem that someone is just being vindictive. What a shame to ridicule such a wonderful film.

Two Thumbs Up....A Must See.

Author: birdbranes from United States
15 January 2005

If Siskel and Ebert had seen this film this is exactly what they would have said, "Two thumbs up. A must see." So, who can give me their address so I can send them a copy of this wonderful, uplifting, delightfully funny film created by a wide array of talented individuals? Kudos to all involved. Lee Friedlander did a wonderful job bringing an already tremendous play (sold out many weeks by the way) to the big screen for so many more to enjoy. I have been following the talents of Lacie Harmon and Robin Greenspan for many years, and I'm not surprised by any means that their extreme brilliance continues to shine even brighter every year. I cannot wait to see what new projects they will come up with in the future. As soon as Girl Play is released on DVD I will own a copy for my private collection.

Great Movie about true love

Author: lcaspi from United States
14 January 2005

My husband and I have been to many movies over the past year and were grateful to finally see one that we enjoyed from start to finish. The acting from everybody was beyond reproach. The two writer/actors were incredibly endearing and vulnerable, and we fell in love with them as soon as the movie started. The writing was insightful and funny. The cameo appearances made by Dom DeLuise and Mink Stole were icing on the cake! I keep checking back to see when the next film by this outstanding team of people will be ready. If you're looking for a love story, look no further, this is the one you MUST see! It will make you fall in love with whomever you're with all over again and if you're cynical about love this movie will give you the courage to take a chance on love again.

Which one of the ex's do you think "Junecatpower" might be?

Author: (moviefanla) from LA
15 September 2004

Obviously, there are some really personal emotions spilling over in Junecatpower's "over the top", immature and inaccurate commentary which is way too magnified and emotional to be taken seriously. Put your claws back in Catwoman, it's obvious who you are and what your motives are. Independent film-making is a challenge enough without public, slanderous comments like the fabricated comments from a hurt sole.

This film was beautifully shot on a combination of super 16 film and High Definition 24p. Both formats are high quality, preferred, formats for industry professionals and it shows because the film exhibits beautifully. The cinematographer clearly brings decades of award winning experience with him to this rich looking film.

A few points about the film that cannot be disputed are: it is beautifully shot, the acting is tremendous - having earned two of the top awards from Outfest 2004 for "Best Acting" (and a third Outfest award for "best narrative Lesbian feature"), just about all audiences can relate to it for one reason or another (a clear fact once you've been in an audience it has screened for) and, the sound and music quality are incredible. The film hasn't screened to an audience yet where at least a dozen or more people ask how to get a copy of the soundtrack.

Without a tremendous director, none of the above mentioned qualities come through in any film.

Congratulations to a talented group of people for coming together to create a unique, award-winning film which is screening at festivals around the world and sure to land in the theaters and/or on the shelves of video stores for hungry audiences of sophisticated women and men (lesbian, gay, bi, transgender and straight) around the world.

I loved it!

Author: kellington-1 from United States
18 February 2006

It was funny and when I found out the real-life history of the movie, it made it even better.

Plus the behind the scenes (on the DVD) about how the two lesbian producers resisted making the movie because "they didn't do lesbian movies", but they were won over the material was great.

The lesbian director seemed to be very talented as well.

I found it at blockbuster.com.

I loved the parallel execution of the play within the movie, and it didn't hurt that the two actresses were really hot. But it was mostly humorous, and nothing cheesy.