IMDb > "The Mighty Boosh" (2003) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 3 of 7: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

Plain surreal

Author: Filmlover7375900 from United Kingdom
28 December 2012

This TV show follows the exploits of Jazz-fan Howard Moon, Fashion guru Vince Noir, Gorilla Bollo and Shaman Naboo.

In total there is twenty episodes (eight in the first series, six in the second and third).The first series takes place in zoo, the second in a flat and the third in a shop called Nabootique, which is owned by Naboo. Due to the changing of the setting for every series, the show keeps fresh and entertaining. My personal favourite episodes would be 'Hitcher' (series 1), 'Nannageddon' (series 2) and 'Eels' ( series 3).

This TV show is surreal and is not everyone cup of tea, there is also plenty of rude humour thrown into the mix, which is the reason for its 15 rating here in the UK. To give an example of the surrealism on show, there is a talking and moving ball of bubble gum called Gary in one episode. Apart from this not quite being everyones cup of tea, I can't recommend this show enough. THANK YOU JULIAN BARRET AND NOEL FIELDING FOR CREATING A HIGHLY ORIGINAL AND ENTERTAINING SHOW.

Flagging in Third Season

Author: Jofez from Atop the pyramids
4 February 2008

Season Three of this fantastically bizarre British comedy series is a bit like the modern day burrito. Consider the burrito. Long long ago, it began as a simple, honest man's food, being sold door to door by small Mexican men in tuxedos. But then it got too sure of itself. It broke free from the salesmen who had supported it and went into mass production with the evil Old el Paso empire. It thought it knew what the people wanted. But it was wrong. Dead wrong. And the flaky, salty imitations that line supermarket shelves today pale in comparison to the once great glory of the burrito.

Similarly, once upon a time, The Mighty Boosh burst onto the 10pm SBS slot like a deliciously absurd, wacky and wonderful explosion of comedy heaven. It had everything. A friendship between the self proclaimed cockney bitch Vince Noir (Noel Fielding) and the jazz guru Howard Moon (Julian Barrat) which occasioned still unparalleled hilarious banter. A zoo with a dangerously moustachioed owner and a slavishly sycophantic manager. Wild adventures into exotic like the arctic and monkey hell. And at the heart of it all, a much imitated but inimitable low-budget absurdist style of humour. But like all explosions, its glory was sadly short-lived, and all that remains is the afterimage, burnt onto our retinas, of Vince restyling the Ape of Death's hair.

Or so we thought! Rising like the phoenix from the ashes of BBC, season two erupted, answering the mournful call of the cult followers of the Boosh. Fans rejoiced as Vince and Howard recommenced their adventures, taking to the stage in their own band. Their bizarre encounters with Old Gregg (some say he's half man, half fish, others say its more of a 70/30 split), Tony Harrison (the most useless member of the Council of Shaman) and the French intellectual coconut Milky Joe showed the same spirit of exciting, boundary-testing comedy. But, like a much used household implement, the cracks were starting to show. With greater roles given to the boring Bollo and Naboo, and the thrashing of the dead cockney horse, Vince and Howards banter still redeemed the show, like a couple of killer singles on an otherwise mediocre album.

In season three, like genetically modified fruit, the Boosh has lost that organic element which made it great. Howard and Vince's relationship remains largely unchanged (despite certain homo-erotic diversions), but the banter doesn't hit the mark quite so perfectly as it did. Instead of wild adventures, the series is largely confined to Naboo's shop in which Vince and Howard work. On the occasions when they do leave the shop, the humour is that of the sordid style seen in Mr Susan and Sandstorm, going for shock, rather than the more subtle absurdism that made the show so brilliant. I felt like I was in a knackery, watching Tony Harrison and Saboo trotted out episode after episode in increasingly un-hilarious scenarios. The show is ultimately cruder, baser and less funny.

The Boosh's humour is unique, and if it's a style that you like, you'll love the show.

Hugely Indulgent and Often Awry

Author: owlinabowl from United Kingdom
15 January 2007

In recent years, Channel 4 and the BBC have been engaged in a highly resourceful and relentless comedy sparring match to see who can produce the most eye-catching and consistently funny programs on terrestrial TV. The Beeb has always been confident as it has classic comedy staples such as Have I Got News... and ...Buzzcocks to fall back on. Channel 4 made the opening bid with the superbly funny and very stylish Teachers and Spaced. The BBC then scored massively with Little Britain and The Office and looked set to dominate, yet C4 retaliated with a litany of short-lifespan masterpieces such as Garth Marenghi's Darkplace, Spoons and The IT Crowd (all of which are sorely missed) as well as their larger budget gamble: The superb Green Wing, which preceded to sweep the BAFTAs as well as the nation off its feet.

So, the balls in the Beebs court, so to speak. What do they do? They pinch two of Channel 4 more low-key stars, Julian Barrat and Noel fielding - both staples of one of C4s more impenetrable misfires, the relentlessly uncompromising yet often morbidly hilarious Nathan Barley - and commission them to go free reign on a sitcom than happily allows them to indulge in their 'wildest fantasies'.

At times bizarre, absurdist and often deliberately sloppy and poorly directed\edited, 'The Mighty Boosh' is a intriguing concept. It takes two clearly intelligent and well-educated comedians and attempts to streamline the surreal trivialities of a far-reaching sketch show and condense them into a sitcom. Yet despite the colour and visual flair and enthusiasm its a proposition that just doesn't quite work due to its own sanitised notion of self-disposition.

Essentially, 'The Mighty Boosh' is so ruthlessly determined to be weird and surreal that it comes across as contrived and formulaic owing to its inability to be self-critical. And yet this lack of discipline (particulary in the set-design, layout and presentation of the show) never feels like its adding to the comedy in a particularly relevant way given that the concept of the program doesn't necessitate it. Unlike the aforementioned '...Darkplace', which depended on it and was subsequently brilliant.

Hugely smug and, especially in the second season, very pleased with itself owing to its roller-coaster success. 'The Mighty Boosh' is a textbook example of comedy faltering owing to its need to focus on its target, yet that target by default being unfocused due to its unstable basis. A similar problem was seen in 'Big Train' (which was nonetheless slightly easier to digest thanks to its sketch show format) and can be found in American programs such as 'Robot Chicken' and the later episodes of 'Family Guy'. If you want a example of where a surreal sitcom really works, check out Dylan Moran's hugely entertaining 'Black Books'. In the meantime, give 'The Mighty Boosh' a look-in but don't be surprised if you come out feeling bored and over-stretched.

Of all the people in the world I should probably hate this show the most, but i don't, i really don't.

Author: Xanthe Young from United Kingdom
7 February 2010

I completely sympathise with those who view this as totally over-hyped as I've experienced first hand the effect it has on some rather deranged fans in the form of two former friends of mine who spent about a month speaking entirely in sentences with either the meaning 'I love Vince' or 'Xanthe looks like Naboo'. This by now has become a very old joke. I do look like Naboo, I've never once argued this point but do people really need to remind me every couple of days? As a result I've held a grudge for a long time without ever actually watching the series and giving it a fair chance, then about a month ago I finally got fed up of not really knowing what people were comparing me too (much like when people called me 'the girl from the ring') and watched all three series over a couple of days. I'm so glad I did because the feeling of loathing turning to love is so warm and lovely. Almost as warm and lovely as the show itself.

I can't really tell you what its about or why you should watch it because it can't really be explained. But I promise you it's one of the least cynical and good natured and funny besides programmes i have ever come across. Each episode it an experience you want to live out over and over again.

I hate the term 'random' applied to anything other than computer programmes which are designed to make genuinely random decisions so i totally reject the idea that anything about this show is random because it isn't, it's not weirdness for the sake of weirdness either, it has it's own beautiful logic if your prepared to go looking for it. It doesn't mind whether you like it or not either.

I think each individual gets something different out of it when they watch it so even reviewing it seems a little pointless. You're going to have to decide for yourself on this one, because the words of any one person don't really do it justice.

What i got out of it was a kind of inner peace not least of all because now when someone shouts 'Naboo' at me I can say 'I'm going to have to turn my back on you'.

It grows on you for sure

Author: olga1403 from United States
18 September 2009

I first heard about the Boosh around the 2nd season so I watched a couple of episodes and sort of thought that the show is too over the top to be actually funny, but I bought the 3rd season and became sucked in by the whole world of The Mighty Boosh. The best series on TV FOR SURE! The characters, the music and the look of the show are unique somewhat child-like(in a good way) and fun. Every episode is crazy in its own wonderful way, and the characters are outlandish and the stories behind each episode are unpredictable in an anything goes sense. I can pretty much promise that if you watch it a couple of times you'll find yourself addicted. Though I'm not sure it's the show that can go beyond a certain number of seasons while keeping the cult factor, the first 3 seasons are awesome. Check it out if you haven't already!

What is it? Well, imagine Monty Python's Flying Circus with an actual plot...

Author: Halldór Sigurðarson (katlaklori) from Iceland
24 June 2011

It's not full of ethical questions about human moral behavior. It's not action-packed testosterone bomb. It's not an enlightening science show. But what is it? It's The Mighty Boosh and you'll just have to roll with it.

Gosh, it's hard to review.

Why do I give it 10/10? Well, it's simply hilarious, and stays that way no matter how many times you watch it.

The vivid imagination and unorthodox jokes make up the most beautiful and rib devastating (they'll explode because of the laughing) show in history.

The acting may not be worthy of much, but it has the best intentions and does what is necessary to blow your mind and lungs.

The surreal world and events make this a show to remember.

Two mildly insane friends having fantasy fun in front of a camera*, that's what it is.

*NO! This not an adult... wait, what? How could anyone even think that? There's a gorilla protagonist for crying out loud! You sicken me.

Surreal comedy at it's best

Author: Joofus from USA
26 February 2008

When I first heard the premise of the Mighty Boosh, I'll admit; I was skeptical. It sounded too zany, too weird, and, above all, just too spacey to be funny.

God, was I wrong.

The Mighty Boosh is certainly one of the funniest TV programs I have ever seen in my life. It's on par with Monty Python, and almost touches the talent of the god that is Eddie Izzard. Noel Fielding (Vince) and Julian Barratt (Howard) are comedic geniuses with perfect timing, and some of the worst taste in jokes. But hey, it's funny as hell, and halfway through the first episode I was splitting my sides laughing. The other characters (namely Bob Fossil, and Naboo) are fantastic. Unlike in other popular shows, they only add more rather than making it too complicated.

So far, I'd say that the second season of the show was by far the funniest. The Tale of Milky Joe and and the Old Gregg episodes will have you in stitches. I haven't finished the third season yet, but what I've seen has been made of pure win.

Buy the DVDs, go to the live show, or find it online; this show cannot be missed.

Marvellous Boosh!

Author: quarter_past_three from Somerset, UK
27 February 2006

I'm completely mad about the Boosh, i quote it in all situations and like most other people just stumbled on it. All the episodes are fantastic little packages of deranged comedy. Prsonally I prefer the first series, the zoo acts like a base whilst the second series is more weird. And Noel's hair deserves a show to itself!

They are just as good live (I saw them in Oxford!) and are well worth trying to get tickets for. After all, they did begin on stage so that's where they're most at home.

I haven't heard the radio show, although I believe it's more of the same theme. I can't imagine it without being able to see the craziness on screen!

Hip, sexy and magical-and that's not just Noel Fielding!!

Author: electronic_shrew from United Kingdom
19 February 2006

The Boosh is a curious thing. The first time you see it, you will probably go," Christy! This is more confusing than a man with Weetabix hands!!! What is it all about?".

BUT I AM WARNING YOU, DON'T DISMISS IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you do, I'll be all over you like a flannel!!!!!! Sure, it's surreal but it has a kind of intelligence to it. It also has Noel Fielding in it (an added bonus!!!!!!!) If Noel doesn't rock your boat, there's always Julian Barratt! Now here's a song from The Boosh:

Oh Howard Moon, Why did you kill yourself? You had so much to live for So much to live for Oh Howaaard

Shoot your face off! Shoot it off! Shoot it all off!

Plus, they are excellent live!!!!!!!! i saw them in Oxford!!!!!!! genius

Brillliant indeed... if you are 5 years old!

Author: robinanimate from Norway
25 January 2008

After all the praise given to the mighty boosh, I cant believe what BS it is. The predictability factor is at the same level as the latest episode of east enders. The dialogue seems to be a reproduction of a conversation I had with my friends at last weekends afterparty... and that is NOT funny in retrospect. The overall originality might score a point on locations and costumes, but with pretentious, wannabe-spaced-out performance executed like this, the series comes out of it no less than pathetic. With such excellent series from Britain like Red Dwarf and Little Britain, how does stuff like the mighty boosh even get allowed to be released.

Page 3 of 7: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]