The Mighty Boosh (TV Series 2003–2007) Poster

(2003–2007)

61 ReviewsOrdered By: Helpfulness
Most Original Comedy For Ages
tom-148814 September 2005
I've been raving about this comedy for a long time even though I missed some of it when it was on TV (usually late at night). So the arrival of the DVD was awaited with much anticipation. People often ask me to describe The Mighty Boosh - which is not an easy thing to do.

Essentially the structure is that of a sit-com, in that there is the reoccurring location of the zoo, and a set of familiar characters most notably the two main protagonists – zoo-keepers Vince Noir (Noel Fielding) and Howard Moon (Julian Barratt). Vince is the fashion conscious shallow one, that plays against Howard's jazz loving, self-important but likable loser. Each episode is a juxtaposition of the Morecombe and Wise type banter between Vince and Howard, and the sheer surrealism of their subsequent adventures that take them to exotic locations and pit them against bizarre and often quite dark foes.

For me the triumph of the show is due to the breadth of vision that links the fantastic theatrical visual look (based on largely on Noel's sketches), with Julian's love of music, together with the off-beat acting style and witty script to provide an experience that is more than the sum of its parts.

There is nothing else quite like this on TV, you won't be splitting your sides every minute at quick-fire one-liners written by teams of caffeine stimulated comedy writers, but instead prepare yourself for a rather more gentle experience, peppered by some hilarious set-pieces, who's imaginative brilliance will ingrain itself into your heart and mind. It's quite simply lovable.
67 out of 76 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
a grower, if you are
agabuga30 May 2006
I first became aware of Julian Barrett and Noel Fielding when they did a regular slot on the Lee & Herring review show of the juste pour rire comedy festival. I remember thinking that they were quite funny and that their main strength was in making you feel like you were just watching them talking among themselves, rather than acting a rehearsed script.

When I first saw the mighty boosh I didn't really give it a chance. I was channel-surfing late at night and, in my usual cynicism at any new comedy that the BBC releases, switched over after twenty seconds. It wasn't until about a year ago when I visited a friend and we had been out getting intoxicated that I was persuaded to watch a full episode, post-pub style. In spite of my earlier cynicism I found myself laughing, and since then it has grown on me to the point that I've just ordered the 2 series boxset.

Comparisons to Reeves and Mortimer are inevitable and I don't blame people accusing the writers of stealing some content. Of course I remember in 1990 people saying the exact same thing about Reeves & Mortimer in reference to Morecambe & Wise. As one reviewer has already said, they are standing on the shoulders of giants.

What sets the mighty boosh apart is its form. Reeves & Mortimer have never been any good at sitcom. Barrett and Fielding take the same surrealist approach to comedy but apply it to the form of sitcom with a sort of laissez-faire ease which allows the story to feel as if it's just unfolding in front of you.

I think it's interesting that some reviewers have criticised the actors for being too concerned with their image. Personally I thought one of the central jokes (if not THE central joke) of the mighty boosh was that EVERYONE is concerned with their image, and you can either admit it, preen yourself, and revel in how fabulous you look (like Vince) or you can deny it in pursuit of an elusive higher truth which (according to the show) always gets away from you and leaves you in the soup (like Howard).

This is classic double-act stuff (the vain, shallow one and the insecure, pretentious one) and these are two actors who are at home with each other and pull it off well. The supporting cast do their job very well, and Barrett and Fielding's bizarre side characters provide good, if brief, displays of their range as comic actors.

The sets in the mighty boosh are unashamedly low-budget and as far as I can tell none of it was shot on location. This (along with the curtain-up style intro which the two main characters perform (in character)at the beginning of each episode) serves to give the whole thing a thick layer of romantic irony, which neatly bridges the gap between the surreal train ride of the plot and the often mundane, very naturalistic exchanges between Howard and Vince.

In summary, the more I get into this show the more I love it for what it is; a well-crafted sloppy jelly of mixed ideas, held together with sound-acting-glue and peppered with quotable one-liners. It grows on you like cheese, which is a kind of meat, a tasty yellow beef.

That's the end of the review, but is it really the end?
42 out of 53 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Very strange, but hilarious!
miss_niss3 August 2004
It takes a certain type of person to appreciate this type of comedy, and I'm glad to say I'm one of them! This show is cool, its British, it's laid back and it's trippy, much like Naboo I guess. I only just started watching it at episode six, but as soon as I saw Naboo holding up a picture of two kittens I was hooked. "Look at the cat on the left. His name is Phillip." Classic.

It's a great show, something really different and really funny. Vince and Howard are a great couple, their styles compliment each other well, but I have to say I like Vince the best. He has really cool hair.

I hope this show gets another series. I love it. I just went out and brought a poncho!

Its a hubba bubba nightmare!
69 out of 92 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Mighty Boosh is a breath of fresh comical air!
nickemu198029 March 2005
I can't praise Messrs Barret and Fielding enough for producing one of the finest comedies of the decade so far. It seems to have gone largely ignored by the masses, but I'm sure it won't be long before the rest of the nation catch-up and they'll all pretend they watched from the start! Like all excellent work you are constantly asking yourself "How did they come up with that?!" This for me is the beauty of this programme, it's completely original, imaginative and sometimes it seems completely spontaneous. It may take you one or two episodes before you are hooked but once you are you'll find yourself searching on your Sky remote through BBC2 and BBC3's listings trying to find out if it is on. If its on at 2 or 3 in the morning, so what, stay up, watch it, go into work tired the next morning it's well worth it. If your the kind of person who gets angry if you don't get enough sleep, then simply go into work wearing a poncho! It's impossible not to be happy in a poncho, but of course, you all know that! Boosh Forever!!!!!!!
60 out of 80 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Not just adolescent humour
Smirnoffuzz20 July 2006
Everyone's entitled to their opinion and comedy is a matter of personal taste. However, don't be misled by most of the negative comments about the Boosch. It is NOT just humour for adolescents. I'm nearing retirement age and I remember Hancock in the early sixties but I think this programme is excellent. I think American sitcoms are generally grossly overrated (I despair at the popularity of that awful smug tripe known as Friends) and have been concerned at the recent trend to try and imitate this style in British sitcoms. The Boosch has no truck with that approach. It is wonderfully uncompromising in following the British tradition of not writing to a ratings-chasing formula (which nearly all US sitcoms do) but says "if you like this - fine but we're not going to water it down just to try and make it more acceptable to a mass audience". Whether you like it will depend on your personal taste in humour but it is right up there with the Goons, Python, the Young Ones, Father Ted and the rest. Future series may not be up to the standard of the first two but so what? There are only two series of Fawlty Towers but that's not exactly branded it a failure. Incidentally, I'm not totally anti US sitcoms. The Simpsons was great at first (well beyond its sell-by date now though) and one of the greatest of all time was, of course, Bilko.
38 out of 49 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Maybe not for everyone, but certain to gain a loyal following
Superunknovvn12 April 2006
"The Mighty Boosh" is one of those series that are only possible in the U.K.. Writers and producers have such a refreshing and daring humour there, it's a joy to ignore American sitcoms for a while and take a peek at British comedy shows. "The Mighty Boosh" is another very original and imaginative show that grew from a stage act to a radio show to a T.V. sitcom. Every episode is taking place in different locations including jungles, deserted islands, snow and sandy deserts and underwater worlds. Sounds far out? It is.

The only things linking up from one episode to the next are the main characters, clumsy, but lovable Howard Moon (Julian Barratt) and Uber-Mod Vince Noir (Noel Fielding). In the first series these two are working at a zoo where some rather curious colleagues of theirs hang out, too. The second series mainly takes place at night. Vince and Howard have moved in with their friend Naboo, an Indian shaman, and a talking ape. Sounds far out? It is.

Another element that's in every episode is the hilarious, quite catchy music. Barratt is responsible for these short little ear candies. As funny as these songs may be they reveal a real songwriting talent as Barratt covers a lot of different styles effortlessly. Usually I'm not a big fan of musical parts in TV shows, but it works here and the songs about "Nanageddon", "Mod Wolves" and the "Ape Of Death" make this program even more special. Sounds far out? It is.

The humour of "The Boosh" is not as in your face as in other sitcoms. The show is more amusing than it is flat out hilarious. That and the innocent, child-like creativity of "The Boosh" might not be for everyone and these are probably the reasons for the show being more of a cult phenomenon right now. Barratt and Fielding already have a loyal following, though, and I'm sure that it will grow over time. Very English, very far out. The Boosh rules!
28 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Genius, like Vince's hair.
joolzipoo9 September 2005
I first stumbled upon this a few weeks ago, one late Saturday night on BBC3. I only saw half of one of the episodes but it had me killing myself laughing. I then felt I had to watch the remaining two episodes of series two in the following weeks. It is one of the most random shows ever (and the costume department love their polo mints) but it is hilarious. I think you have to give the show a chance and give yourself time to get into it(having a good sense of humour helps too). A review here said that it was 'a step too far' but I think that was just a wee bit too dramatic a statement to make. I don't think it's a point of not liking it, I think its the fact that people don't give it a chance or understand the humour. The Mighty Boosh could be described as a mixture between 'Garth Marenghi's Darkplace' and 'Spaced' with added randomness and songs but even that is quite vague and I guess you really have to see it for yourself. I just bought the series 1 DVD with my birthday money and so far, I am loving it. It will appeal to fans of 'Garth Marenghi....' and 'Spaced'as I said before(because of the type of humour)Finally, can I just say that I am so glad that the BBC decided not to use canned laughter in the programme. Canned laughter seems to kill a lot of comedies (with the exception of Father Ted and the like) and if the people at the BBC had decided not to ditch the canned laughter, The Mighty Boosh would not be nearly as fantastic as it is just now.
23 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
BRILLIANT!
roopandtrace1 July 2004
Noel Fielding and Julian Barret have created a masterpiece of comedy writing, acting, directing, etc. Julian provides the show's music, as well as being the star/writer and Noel draws the animation. It is full of silly and surreal characters, like Bollo the guitar playing gorilla, the sinister hitch-hiker, or Brian Ferry lord of the forests. It may not be to everybody's taste. The series is set in a strange zoo, run by Bob Fossil, played by Richard Fulcher, from the sketch show Unatural Acts. Daily Mail readers or more conservative style people. It is very very silly, and many people will not like it. But, hopefully it will be a Little Britain style hit. Each episode involves Barret, named Howard Moon in the series, gets into trouble and travels to some strange world, Then Fielding's character Vince Noir, rescues him with help from some bizarre new character.

Episode One is KILLEROO. Howard Moon is asked by Bob Fossil, the zoo's owner, to participate in an illegal boxing match against a deadly kangaroo, and Vince tries to train him Episode Two is MUTANTS. Howard discovers that Dixon Bainbridge, the zoo's landlord, is cutting up animals and splicing then together. Can Howard save the animals? Episode Three is BOLLO. Vince's best animal friend Bollo the gorilla becomes ill, and so Howard dresses up as a gorilla to entertain people. the monkey grim reaper accidentally takes Howard to monkey hell... Episode Four is Tundra. This episode is adapted from the Boosh's stage show Arctic Boosh. Howard and Vince set out to the Arctic in search for the mystical Egg of Mantumbi. They meet mysterious dwarfs in Parkas and a dancing polar bear. Episode Five is Jungle. Howard and Vince trape off to the jungle to find the zoo's old owner Tommy, who's mind has been destroyed by a cheese addiction. Episode Six is Charlie. Vince and Howard both try and become writers. But, Vince is published and Howard is not. Little does Dixon Bainbridge know, but stealing Vince's fame is a bad idea. Episode Seven is Electro. Vince joins a band called Kraftwork Orange, with Johnny two hats and the electro sisters. But, Howard cannot join them, as he sold his soul to the spirit of Jazz. Episode Eight is Hitcher. Howard and Vince are asked to drive a nasty bair to an animal prison, and are instructed not to pick up the scary hitch-hiker... The Boosh is definitely for you if you like the League of Gentlemen or the Simpsons. Watch it on BBC3 or BBC2.
51 out of 80 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Took a Couple Episodes To Get Into It...
homeopt14 March 2006
but I can honestly say I love it now. I downloaded the first series and almost deleted it after watching the 1st episode. But I decided to give it a shot and after the 2nd episode it started to slowly get under my skin in a good way. This is not your daddy's sitcom and if you judge it as such, you will probably hate this show. This show is certainly original if nothing else. I love the weird premise of the show and the many assorted weird characters. And I love the musical and dance numbers as well, they're all really well done ! I really like the guy who plays the Howard Moon character. He has a very subtle comedic genius about him. The Vincent Noir character complements him well with his eccentricities ...and his hair ;) I'm currently downloading season 2 -- don't worry, i plan on importing the dvds soon -- and can't wait to see if the magic remains.
14 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
And I once looked at a hedge, what's your point?
TheBlackVoodoo14 September 2005
It's good to see so many who appreciate this comedy. I meet few who've seen it, anyone who has loves it and the rest, obviously, haven't seen it. Many here love it which is great, one making ambiguous suggestions to a dislike of it, but with no real depth to the reasons why. Id like to talk about the opposing reasons of what they could have said. I think this is muchly Noel and Julian's personal SOH and I think that that is great because they have really good SOH. I have a similar SOH and so enjoy it. A good alternative comedy should not be written with the masses in mind, and just because you may not understand the humour, that doesn't make it weak. Id never call any comedy weak, especially not because it is the writer's own humour. Do you think all stand up comedians are acting? No. Some do, but most gather information of things they find funny in there daily lives and use them. It is up to the audience as to whether or not their upbringing brought them to this moment in time where they find it funny. I personally think its the best kind of comedy. And if you don't, so be it. I don't like "Bo Selecta" very much, but id never call it weak. I just know that its just not my SOH. I have seen Noel do stand up and think he's great. Fantastical and childlike, with almost infinite energy and ideas.

I am not a big fan of progression either, musical or comical, I think genius can come from anywhere, at any time. The key is originality. We all know that "Friends" being the number one comedy based on the public doesn't make it the funniest or most clever comedy in what I call "The Real World." Something else I've noticed, and I don't mean to sound arrogant, is that the "scally" culture just don't get The Boosh. Probably because it's weird and dark, and the jokes aren't always spelled out for you in brightly coloured letters. It is suited more to "real" music fans, artists, poets and those of an alternative nature.

I think Noel and Julian are very clever, with many other great inputs and inspirations from the likes of Steve Coogan (producer)(Alan Partridge), Matt Berry (Dixon Bainbridge) and Richard Ayoade (Saboo) (Garth Marenghi's Darkplace), Nicholas Burns (The King)(C**t, Nathan Barley) and they have both worked with Chris Morris (Brass Eye, The Day Today, Big Train, Jam) on Nathan Barley.

I believe this comedy, particularly the first series, to be rich in word play and a clever use of language. The use of sets and props is well thought out, artistically, minimally and budget-wise, it's also different and humble. The ideas of such extreme, deep and diverse characters is almost astounding at times, if not for its light heartedness. The jokes vary in style, like "oh yeah the double bluff gag" or "oh yeah they blatantly stupid and weird gag" a lot, and such crammed word wizardry makes it a feast of surreal munchery. The best thing is that they know that some things are funnier if they're said differently. Like everyone knows that "You S**gs" is funnier said in a cockney accent than a Cumbrian one. They also use timing, delivery and camera work to the best they can be. The music. How can you not mention the music… they obviously have good musical ability. They are catchy songs, varying in style with each one, including brilliant lyrics. To do one in every episode is very special.

I would compare it more to the young ones, if I had to, rather than R&M. Mainly because it is a sitcom and although TMB is less slapstick, the central points of the subjects are similar, for example the alternative lifestyle and the thoughts and feelings that come with that, and obviously the characters like animals and weird people are similar too.

I've said a lot, if you've even got this far! That's because I was so impressed and wanted to tell people who are considering watching it. Its now my second favourite comedy, behind "Spaced" and just before "Family Guy" and "Alan Partridge."

I loved this programme as I relate to it and think it is very, very clever. You might too.

A step too far? Maybe, if you're wanting to stay put, if not, Come with us now on a journey through time and space, to the world of the Mighty Boosh. And love it.
30 out of 54 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Hugely Indulgent and Often Awry
owlinabowl15 January 2007
In recent years, Channel 4 and the BBC have been engaged in a highly resourceful and relentless comedy sparring match to see who can produce the most eye-catching and consistently funny programs on terrestrial TV. The Beeb has always been confident as it has classic comedy staples such as Have I Got News... and ...Buzzcocks to fall back on. Channel 4 made the opening bid with the superbly funny and very stylish Teachers and Spaced. The BBC then scored massively with Little Britain and The Office and looked set to dominate, yet C4 retaliated with a litany of short-lifespan masterpieces such as Garth Marenghi's Darkplace, Spoons and The IT Crowd (all of which are sorely missed) as well as their larger budget gamble: The superb Green Wing, which preceded to sweep the BAFTAs as well as the nation off its feet.

So, the balls in the Beebs court, so to speak. What do they do? They pinch two of Channel 4 more low-key stars, Julian Barrat and Noel fielding - both staples of one of C4s more impenetrable misfires, the relentlessly uncompromising yet often morbidly hilarious Nathan Barley - and commission them to go free reign on a sitcom than happily allows them to indulge in their 'wildest fantasies'.

At times bizarre, absurdist and often deliberately sloppy and poorly directed\edited, 'The Mighty Boosh' is a intriguing concept. It takes two clearly intelligent and well-educated comedians and attempts to streamline the surreal trivialities of a far-reaching sketch show and condense them into a sitcom. Yet despite the colour and visual flair and enthusiasm its a proposition that just doesn't quite work due to its own sanitised notion of self-disposition.

Essentially, 'The Mighty Boosh' is so ruthlessly determined to be weird and surreal that it comes across as contrived and formulaic owing to its inability to be self-critical. And yet this lack of discipline (particulary in the set-design, layout and presentation of the show) never feels like its adding to the comedy in a particularly relevant way given that the concept of the program doesn't necessitate it. Unlike the aforementioned '...Darkplace', which depended on it and was subsequently brilliant.

Hugely smug and, especially in the second season, very pleased with itself owing to its roller-coaster success. 'The Mighty Boosh' is a textbook example of comedy faltering owing to its need to focus on its target, yet that target by default being unfocused due to its unstable basis. A similar problem was seen in 'Big Train' (which was nonetheless slightly easier to digest thanks to its sketch show format) and can be found in American programs such as 'Robot Chicken' and the later episodes of 'Family Guy'. If you want a example of where a surreal sitcom really works, check out Dylan Moran's hugely entertaining 'Black Books'. In the meantime, give 'The Mighty Boosh' a look-in but don't be surprised if you come out feeling bored and over-stretched.
16 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Off-beat, surreal, comedy brilliance
grantss19 December 2015
Off-beat, surreal, comedy brilliance.

The lives and times of Howard Moon (played by Julian Barratt) and Vince Noir (Noel Fielding). Season 1 sees them working at a zoo while going on all manner of weird and wacky adventures. By Season 2, they're living with a shaman and a gorilla...

Incredibly funny, in a weird, absurdist sort of way. Some of the skits and jokes are incredibly left-field, but they work! In some cases you need to know a bit about modern culture (eg a knowledge of the works of Gary Numan or Bryan Ferry might come in handy) but this just makes it even more interesting, and bizarre.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Not at all a conventional sitcom, but excellent nevertheless
elijahhandley23 June 2014
The Mighty Boosh has always been one of my favourite programmes, sitcoms and beyond. It is nothing like the traditional sitcom - it is far more surreal and outlandish (in a positive sense), with plenty of strange characters that are a lot of fun.

The plots for each episode are almost highly unbelievable and silly, but that just adds to how lovable the series is. There are only 20 episodes at the current time, with no signs of another series being produced anytime soon, but each episode differs completely in terms of the plot with new characters introduced in pretty much every episode - be it a green-skinned hitchhiker with a Polo sweet for an eyepatch, a half-fish deep sea transsexual, or the legendary Yeti on heat, you never really know what to expect in any episode.

If you have a strict sense of humour, requiring the jokes and comical situations to be direct, rather than subtle, the chances are you will not like Boosh. There is no laughter track and the jokes/gags are generally deadpan, or at least low key. This is why the series often puts off American audiences. What they may not realise is that one character (as well as a variety of minor characters portrayed by the same actor), Bob Fossil, usually defies this sense of humour. Fossil, incidentally, is portrayed by an American (Rich Fulcher). He tends to be very direct with his humour, rather than the subtleness as depicted, by the main characters, Howard and Vince, as well as recurring supporting character Naboo the Enigma.

This is definitely a TV show you must not judge based on one viewing. It may take a few episodes to get used to the humour. And in all seriousness, you will often start with the first episode, 'Killeroo', which is the weakest episode of the whole 20 in my opinion. There is no explaining this to my beloved girlfriend who hated the show when I showed her the first episode. On reflection from this, I'd suggest starting with an episode like the 'Nanageddon' episode, one of the best of the bunch. This episode features an army of Satanic old ladies killing people across London using weapons such as OAP free bus passes and knitting material. No, seriously.

It's not to everyone's tastes, but I advise giving it a try. For me, it's a perfect 10. I imagine this show is like Marmite - love or hate. I don't know anyone who thinks the show is "all right", "okay", or "pretty good". It's either "brilliant" or "a load of rubbish/trash/garbage. Give it a try.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Brillliant indeed... if you are 5 years old!
robinanimate25 January 2008
After all the praise given to the mighty boosh, I cant believe what BS it is. The predictability factor is at the same level as the latest episode of east enders. The dialogue seems to be a reproduction of a conversation I had with my friends at last weekends afterparty... and that is NOT funny in retrospect. The overall originality might score a point on locations and costumes, but with pretentious, wannabe-spaced-out performance executed like this, the series comes out of it no less than pathetic. With such excellent series from Britain like Red Dwarf and Little Britain, how does stuff like the mighty boosh even get allowed to be released.
14 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
i really don't get it...
blindstarkid12 January 2008
don't get me wrong. i like surreal comedy, i.e. Monty python, Vic and bob etc. but this just seems to be one big idiotic non-funny joke.

everyone i know raves on about this show, but i have tried, believe me i've tried to get into it, but its just not funny. awful acting, awful pop-culture references, and awful awful songs.

it is one of those shows that is weird for weird's sake. i have seen julian barrett in other things (Asylum and Nathan Barley) and he is genius. i don't even know how he could agree to be in this. noel fielding is one of the most annoying people on this planet. he cannot act, he does the same stupid voice for every "character" he plays, and he laughs at himself when delivering lines.

this isn't comedy. it isn't genius. it's a serious step down for British comedy.

you want funny? go get a reeves and Mortimer DVD.

absolute pish.
16 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
30 Minutes Of My Life I'll Never Get Back
Mark Saltzer22 September 2008
So I bought series 1 and 2 of this show. I only watched the first episode. The longest half hour of my life. This is getting rave reviews, for what. The pilot episode was ignorant and devoid of comedy. I song that was a complete rip of Forever Autumn, with the lyrics of a 4 year old. The Boxing Guru Uncle strummed a bass guitar as if it were a six string, Indigenous Australians that bore no resemblance to the real thing. A punchline at the end that needed a flashback just in case the mentally challenged audience forget the last 10 minutes of the show. This was the first and last episode I will be watching, even if the show miraculously turns into a classic. Will be using the DVD's as beer coasters and the cases will be salvaged to replace some PS2 games I have with tatty cases. Enough said.
13 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Terrible, unoriginal toss
DJ FatSkank9 November 2006
"Oh, look at me, I've got a pair of pink pants on - I'm hilarious."

"Oh look, a bloke in an ill-fitting gorilla suit stood in the corner while I stand not saying anything wearing a coat five sizes too small"

"Let's do exactly the same thing again (even use the same scripts) in a ever so slightly different setting and call it a second series"

Absolutely unfunny rubbish, a pair that think it's ground-breakingly hilarious to do something which they consider to be mildly odd played out as if it was a primary school play acted out by a couple of 7 year olds who've had little practice or given it little thought, then rehash it over and over again.

DRIVEL. Please someone, get rid of them for the sake of British comedy!
19 out of 44 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The British 'Trailer Park Boys'
Sadist916 May 2005
Being a Canadian, and being in the teen aged generation, I pretty much idolize the show called Trailer Park Boys, and after seeing a few episodes of this hilarious show, I'm convinced it's an equivalent.

The two main characters, Vince Noir and Howard Moon are always pulling of lines so smoothly you'll be giggling like a school girl, usually performing in a way that you feel like these are two of your best buddies and your watching through a hidden camera watching their idiotic antics. I highly recommend it to fans of 'Family Guy' and 'Trailer Park Boys' as I'm sure it'll be a hit for them, it was for me, and I can't help but love this show.

13 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Something Completely Different
petekoolkid31 March 2006
I bought Series 1 & 2 on a recommendation from Amazon. After the first 5 minutes, I thought, this is a load of rubbish, I will dump it in the Oxfam shop next time I get home. But, no matter how bad I think a movie is, I always persevere to the end. Half way through the first episode I thought "interesting". By the end of the episode, "very interesting". I then went straight into episode 2 and was hooked. I watched all 8 episodes and the extras in one hit. What a great way to spend the day rather than the usual laying on the beach all day. If you were a fan of the Goons and Monty Python and "Something Completely Different" then this is for you.
7 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Smug, pretentious, studenty codswallop.
MadHatter2611 May 2006
What a load of pretentious rubbish! I agree totally with the reviewer who observed that the characters spend most of their time trying to look cool instead of delivering their lines. The greatest comedy characters are flawed, thus you can identify and empathise with them. This show is just far too pleased with itself. Even as a surrealist piece, it doesn't work. There are far superior efforts already out there. I feel the hype building with this one however, and as with Little Britain and Nighty Night, it reveals the desperation in this country post-The Office for another successful comedy to sell to the world. A cross between Red Dwarf and Wizbit (an 80's kids show with Paul 'not-a-lot' Daniels), but not as funny or intelligent as either.
15 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Fantastic
t0bler0ne16 October 2005
This is a very good programme, it is better than little Britain,the office and all those other famous comedies. It is absolutely hilarious and has the most fantastic hairstyles! You should watch it as soon as it is on TV! It is so different to any other comedy it is physca-delic funky and totally cool. The acting is great by all the characters and every episode has tons of laugh out loud jokes. All of the characters are unique and original and both the series's are great! I give it 10/10 and 5 stars for it is by far the greatest British comedy and if you aren't watching it you are missing out!This show also has loads of catchy songs and phrases that you will find yourself laughing at all the time even if you are not actually watching it.
11 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Does not live up to it's potential
Mexiward8 January 2007
A friend of mine had been raving about the Boosh for ages and finally lent me the series one DVD. The first thing I noticed was that there is no laughter track. I started to hope it would be something clever and subtle like Spaced or Teachers (both shows lack laughter tracks). After watching the first few episodes I had not smiled once, let alone laughed. After watching the entire first series had laughed once, more out of desperation.

The idea of the shows is good, the script is also good, in places. The main problem is the 2 leads can not act. Give the same script to the League of Gentlemen and I would be laughing at every episode. The cast here just speak there lines, sometimes with different voices and that is it. It is almost as if the can not be bothered in a kind of almost arrogant way.

Another problem is the lazy directing. They are no doubts trying to be subtle, but it does not work. Shows such as I'm Alan Partridge or the League of Gentlemen do this so much better. Again, with better directing there would be more laughs.

The final main problem is the predictability. Sometime guessing what is going to happen next is part of the fun. You only have to watch the vet in the League of Gentlemen to see this aspect delivered to perfection. You know that some poor animal is going to die, you just don't know how. With this show what you think is going to happen just happens. There is some originality in the show and the odd bit of madness, but this is spoilt by the execution rather than the idea/script.

You can see what are either tributes or copies of elements of other shows such as Spaced, but it does not work with properly because of the acting and directing. The music scenes are very much like the one you get in the Simpson or Family Guy. But yet again this element is spoiled by the poor, almost no existent, directing.

I am sure people do enjoy the Boosh, but for me there is nothing here that is not done better elsewhere. If you laugh out loud at this do not watch Spaced without a doctor on standby as you will crack a rib.

Finally, I have to admit to lie earlier. I did not watch every episode as turned of the last show half way through and put Coupling on. I was laughing before a word was even spoken.

In summary, huge potential wasted by lack of effort.
9 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
hate hate HATE this NME-approved crap.
dan-is-grate10 December 2008
Why is it that so many comedies today are funny because some other trendy media has told them it's funny? The NME (a British magazine devoted to bands like Razorlight and the Kooks and other talentless bands) always has these arseholes on it's cover, and from watching it, I can see that the trendy one was the kind of douche who sat in his university refectory playing his guitar with a bunch of other bottom-feeders sat round him, and actually longs to be a musician, but, being a studenty tosser who is devoid of talent, decided to fall back on his "kooky" sense of humour. He's funny because he's trendy, not because he's funny, like for example, Vic and Bob, who these two are clearly trying to be the "next" of, minus actual humour. The other guy, with the 'tashe, I can assume likes offbeat and left-bank humour, and could possibly have potential if he wasn't in a band-wagon comedy. Someone said that they seem to spend more time trying to look cool than be funny and that is hitting the nail square on the head. But that's what the NME is all about, as long as it fits with their image of "cool", they are funny/a good band. The jokes/songs are secondary to looking cool.
9 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Hip, sexy and magical-and that's not just Noel Fielding!!
electronic_shrew19 February 2006
The Boosh is a curious thing. The first time you see it, you will probably go," Christy! This is more confusing than a man with Weetabix hands!!! What is it all about?".

BUT I AM WARNING YOU, DON'T DISMISS IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you do, I'll be all over you like a flannel!!!!!! Sure, it's surreal but it has a kind of intelligence to it. It also has Noel Fielding in it (an added bonus!!!!!!!) If Noel doesn't rock your boat, there's always Julian Barratt! Now here's a song from The Boosh:

Oh Howard Moon, Why did you kill yourself? You had so much to live for So much to live for Oh Howaaard

Shoot your face off! Shoot it off! Shoot it all off!

Plus, they are excellent live!!!!!!!! i saw them in Oxford!!!!!!! genius
6 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Masterpiece of Comedy
bgh1229 July 2006
How do you begin to describe the Mighty Boosh? It is a comedy that simply cannot be compared to others of its type because, well, there are no others of its type! The closest comparison I can find to relate it to is the utter hilarious randomness of 'American Dad' or McFarlane's other classic 'Family Guy', shows unconfined by labels such as Sit Com. Each episode and joke is individual from another and this gem of a show is the epitome of its kind. The show's main characters are Vince (played by Noel Fielding) a self obsessed slightly sappy 'mod' obsessed with fashion, his hair and for some reason Mick Jagger and Howard (played by Julian Barrat), a self proclaimed intellectual musician who cannot take criticism.

The show basically Follows their adventures and encounters with many very strange characters. The show is very surreal with no true references to reality and each individual episode manages to bring in an unfailingly catchy comedic song to the mix. The set up of the show, as is even mentioned in one episode (series 1 episode 8) Howard gets himself into trouble and Vince, albeit unwittingly, rescues him. Each episode usually brings something forward from the last to give the fans a feeling of nostalgia, giving another incentive to purchasing their DVD's. However the way it differs from shows of similar style such as 'Family Guy' or 'American Dad' is not only that it is acted rather than animated but also that it has a sense of infallibility in its comedy. When you watch an episode you know it is going to produce laughter, there isn't the slightest chance it will leave you bored.

It is a show I would sincerely suggest you watch. It can be found (admittedly rarely of late) on BBC 3. It is one of the funniest shows I watch and I myself admit to being an avid fan so please, give it a chance!
7 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this