IMDb > Longing (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Longing More at IMDbPro »Sehnsucht (original title)

Excellent Mood Piece

Author: crappydoo from New Zealand
12 May 2008

The ability of the movie of keeping its audience interested right up to the end by constructing the movie almost entirely out of slow, long, lingering shots reflects the brilliance of the director. Very few directors have this ability. Wong Kar Wai is one that comes to mind. Gus van Sant on the other hand has been fairly erratic: Elephant was good but Last Days lulled me to sleep. So it is refreshing to see a director having the grasp and control of production.

Coming back to the film, it is a simple story of a married couple where the man has a brief fling with a woman in a different town, which is resolved eventually. It may also get fairly predictable, although it wasn't for me.

It is clear that the director is having fun with the audience by using intelligent shock tactics. However, ironic as it may sound, this is a perfect film for people who wish to wish to watch a movie to relax and enjoy good cinema. A few of the people may not like the epilogue, but to me it was revealing and it was an interesting variation to regular cinema. So it doesn't really matter whether we like it or not, it is a unique experience that I haven't seen in movies before.

The acting is also excellent with all the performers giving a heartfelt and honest performance.

So kudos to the director and we hope she comes up with more such stuff in the future.

a relaxing, unusual, slow-paced romance

Author: dina013 from Romania
29 November 2010

Shot in a usual village-setting, no glamor, no special dramatic effects, this movie displays love, grief and sensibility in a rather uncommon way; it deals with real people (or at least it has a strong tendency of emphasizing realism), real routine and day-to-day situations, where you don't really have the "femme fatale" or the hero.

Markus, the main character is the real mystery here. Some questions the viewer might be asking him/her self during this movie: what does Markus want? what does he think/feel? One of the great pluses for this movie lies within this character's psychology, since it often hard to understand where he's going with his actions and most importantly why. That is what brings the viewer to the end of the movie, through the long shots that could be considered almost dead-boring if it weren't for that true curiosity of finding out what happens next.

So: do we find out? In the end, it is really a mystery, a question of "fate". I found the epilogue of great effect and a good means to emphasize the essence of what we -as an audience - witnessed through this nice, quaint little romance.

Fair, but predictable in most places

Author: efcarter from United States
8 January 2007

I saw this film at the Palm Springs Film Festival and have to admit I might be too callous and jaded to rate this one fairly. This film is another story about an unfaithful man that is selfish and can't face the consequences for his actions. He is married to a good woman and travels out of town for a weekend training event and gets drunk and sleeps with another woman. Instead of ending it after one night he decides to continue to see this woman. After multiple times of seeing her he decides to stop and tells her he wants to end the relationship. The mistress falls from a balcony and presses charges against him for pushing her off when actually it looks like he was only moving forward towards her to comfort her and as she was pushing him away she lost her balance and fell. She decides to press charges against him for pushing her. The truth is you can't tell what really happens; I assume the film is deliberately left this way. Only because of this accident and charges being pressed against him he has to tell his wife what has happened. He is so overwhelmed with guilt he tries to kill himself and fails. The film also implies that either his wife or his mistress takes him back but does not state if this implication is true and if so which of the two women take him back. I would have to guess that the wife takes him back, just based on the background provided in the film. It was OK, but I would not recommend it as a must see, too many parts were predictable.