IMDb > "Zoey 101" (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Zoey 101"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Zoey 101" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 15:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Britney's Sister's Show

Author: nat_mermaid from United Kingdom
22 May 2006

I have tried to like this show, I really have, but I can't find a reason why anyone would like it. The story lines are weak, the acting is weak and unbelievable. Every cast member seems to have been picked up off the street at random. And it seems to me that the whole show is just a vehicle for Jamie Lynn Spears to be able to move on to movies. Every episode shows Zoey as the girl that every girl wants to be her best friend and that every boy wants to date. She's always perfect and no one is like that in real life. How can people relate to a character that is just a Barbie doll? Jamie Lynn's acting is fair but she is not a strong enough actress to have the lead role in a series. All the show's fans are just young girls who don't know any better. I'm sorry if you think my comments are too harsh but if you can find a meaningful and deep moment in this series that isn't quickly directed to a beach party - please accept my opinions and find something worthwhile to watch.

Author: tinkerbell_bubbles36 from United States
15 January 2005

I watched the premier of this because there was nothing else worth watching on TV. I expected it to be another "Unfabulous" or another "Lizzie McGuire" or a copy of some other show but this show is totally original. It's about a girl named Zoey who starts going to a boarding school in CA that allows girls to attend for the first time in its history. The characters are very realistic. My favorite character is Chase. He obviously likes Zoey but is too shy to admit it. It's cute. But anyway, like I said this show is very entertaining and I can't wait to see future "Zoey 101" episodes! I would definitely recommend this show for anyone! 9/10

This show is bad...

Author: roldanjb918-1 from New York, United States
6 July 2006

This is the absolutely worst show in the history of Nickelodeon. First of all, no boarding school has a Sushi Bar, Flat screen TVs, and gives every student a laptop. This makes the show so unrealistic, and boring. The plots are pointless, and incredibly boring. The actors are so bad, it makes me want to take my own life. I really hate the fact that in the show, Zoey is the most popular girl in school, and the prettiest, and smartest, and gets the best grades without doing any work. She never has any real problems, and every guy wants to date her. She is so perfect. There isn't anyone like that. Also, I hate that everyone would do anything for her, and everyone picks her for every team, or club. It is so annoying. Quinn is so obnoxious. Her experiments are pathetic, pointless, and fake. Chase is such a wimp. He says he loves Zoey, but if he told her, it would ruin their friendship. How pathetic. Michael tries to be funny, but he never accomplishes anything. Nichole is so perky, and screams a lot. She is never seen doing any work, or studying, but she is a straight A student. Lola thinks she is an actress, but she sucks (Excuse my language). Need I say more? I think no. For your own good, stay away from this show at all costs.

Because Everyone Runs Away From The True Reflection.

Author: crimson_darkdoll from Singapore
15 November 2006

Right, where do I start? I cannot even imagine to comprehend this preteen pathetic excuse of a show. Picture this: a boarding school, where kids whose parents are rolling in money simply chuck them in there so as to jet around the world themselves. It could not get any more diabolic than this.

If you taught these kids, shall not even upgrade them to the term teenagers, because they hardly even act like sane homosapiens, were self-centered, think again. About 23 minutes choked full of their so-called problems, boy troubles, and the like.

The heroine of the show, of course, Mademoiselle Zoey, played by Britney's Polly Pocket Little Miss I'm All That sister, Jamie Lynn Spears, has obviously much to learn about acting. However, I will give her some face, because her superficial, one dimensional character, does not allow much room for depth. She plays Pacific Coast Academy's sun, moon and stars, crusader fighting for the plight of all women, equality of all genders.

Perfect in everyway, always with her two loyal sidekicks, Nicole, the daffy bimbo, who obviously has too much of Daddy's cash, and tough chick, Dana, who proves a hard nut to crack. Both left the show in seasons 2 and 1 respectively, not that I blame that. But horror of horrors, in comes Lola, who deems herself the greatest actress since Natalie Wood, with green feathers in her hair and fake tan. She is even more rude than Zoey herself, if that is even possible, and even more dumber than Nicole, and hell, we know that cannot be possible.

This show, like all the sorry excuses for television programmes Nickelodeon has been spewing out since 2000s, is a prime victim of stereotyping. Get girl next door and dense to her best friend's feelings for her Zoey, a great albeit inarticulate at times best boy friend, Chase, a cool, arrogant ladies man, Logan, a boy and clothes crazy girl, who is not very bright, Nicole, the one whom everyone thinks is weird just because she is extremely smart, the nerd, Quinn, the over-dramatic, annoying yet super thin, Malibu picture perfect model, Lola, and the tough yet soft inside woman, Dana. Now, where have I heard these characters before? I am sorry, but what is so wrong with having a personality? Just because Quinn is passionate about Science, and actually cares about her future and doing well in the academic aspect, in which the rest should be concerned about as well, she is "weird" and a "nerd"? Lola at the beginning of the series, proved to be a potential great character with her sassy ways and different outlook in life, Zoey just had to go, get out your pitchforks, burn her at the stake, she's going back to Weird Town and all that jazz. So much for womens rights. Unfortunately, Lola just became nothing more of another OC clone, in all its anorexic glory. Probably so as to not outshine her Mistress.

But hey, the 2000 generation of MySpace whores seem to love it with the Chase/Zoey typical fairytale romance, the tension between adamant, "hot" Logan and "kick-ass" Zoey or Dana, whichever to your liking, and the pretty people. Please, this show exists to remind us that people do not like realism, they prefer a pretentious, shallow and vapid lifestyle. Sorry to break it to you darlings, that will not happen, unless you have a major trust fund and parents to cushion you.

Zoey 101 is the worst show ever!!!

Author: Rguitar25 from United States
20 June 2006

When I first watched Zoey101 with my sister we thought it was a piece of garbage. No one is that rich and lives at a dorm off the pacific coast. In the show, Zoey is a mega popular rich girl that everyone always go to her for advice. Zoey is always the one with the good idea and everyone agrees with her no matter how stupid her idea is. She is always perfect at everything including her perfect figure. And she is such a dietetic freak she talks about carbs like she knows what they are. When she sees that her friends are eating chocolate she confiscates it. And another thing that ticks me off is that she is always chewing a piece of spearmint every time you look at her. And everyone wants something do with her, for example in one episode that Logan guy bid $4,000 to have her and her friends cheer for everything he does in his pathetic life. And her friend Nicole is an overly perky freak that screams a lot.And Lola dresses like a hoochie Houdini lady. 80s called they want there bushy hair back.Might as well shave off the hair chase. This show sends a bad message to kids everywhere to make them think that if they don't have the latest I-Pods and designer clothes they will hate themselves.

This show is a big thumbs down.

We hate you Jamie Lynn,

Best wishes Ryan, and Kara L

Hokey and why do I watch it?

Author: sarah_91 from Canada
17 October 2005

I'll admit that I watch this show whenever I get the chance to and whenever I wake up early enough (it's on kind of early for us here in Canada) but every time I do I get even more mad at it. I do like the wide variety of characters, but the show, to me, is too unrealistic for normal standards. The school is perfect, with its Sushi Bar (yes, a SUSHI BAR) and hardly any rules (for example, the guys seem to always be allowed in the girls' dorms - wouldn't happen). Anyways, what bothers me even more is that the main character Zoey (Spears) is perfect, also. She is SO popular, everyone in the whole school seems to know her and completely love her. Example, the episode with the exams. EVERYONE asks Zoey to help her, as if she is the only smart one in the school. Please. And the episode with the backpacks, amazingly, she makes about a hundred of them with those radio things in like what, less than two days...? It always seems like she has an idea for everything, and in the end the whole cast congratulates her and loves her even more. It really bothers me a lot.

Also, on top of that all, I have to say that the acting isn't all that great. Jamie Spears, in my opinion, didn't earn or deserve the main part in this show, if the show had to be made at all. When I first saw her in All That (1995), I thought that she actually had some talent. Well, the role of Zoey Brooks turned me off. She doesn't have much emotion or facial expression in what she says or does. In the very first episode, where she plays basketball, she isn't that good at all. And of course, the coach asks her to join the team and says she is "great". Also, in the episode with the school play, guess who makes the lead role? Yup, you guessed it. Zoey. She can't act, why did she make the lead? And, WHY does every boy want to kiss her? Is she really THAT pretty? And that Nicole (Alexa Nikolas), well she isn't anything special either. Kristen Herrera, even though she left the show, wasn't very good either. All the other actors are typical and somewhat boring. There isn't much going on. I'd have to say that the best actors on the show (my opinion) are Erin Sanders (Quinn) and Paul Butcher (Dustin). They are a little more believable. And I can't stand the fact that, and this happens all the time, The actors aren't true to the age group. They are made to look older than the average grade 8 student (I think they are in grade 8).

Overall, this show bothers me a lot. A lot of it makes you want to just scream "Yeah Right" when you are watching. And I know this is only a show, so pushing the limits is common and bound to happen, but this show sticks out for me. For grade 8 thirteen year olds, they are going to want to be just like Zoey, and they can't. Because Zoey is perfect. She goes to a perfect school, has perfect clothes, is so popular, the list goes on. Not any normal girl. I'm going to give this show a 5/10. Because even though it's as unrealistic as a tween show can get, there's something about it that wants you to keep watching it. I don't mind if I miss it, but if it's on, I'll watch it. 5/10.

A mild surprise

Author: James (Ferdinand_the_Barbarian) from Washington State
13 August 2005

As somebody who grew up on Pete and Pete, Clarissa, Salute Your Shorts, and all the other classic Nick shows, I hold a fond place in my heart for Nickelodeon. But that place has, generally, been reserved for anything before All That appeared. In my (not-so) humble opinion, that's the moment at which the network started to go downhill.

Okay, so Zoey 101 isn't exactly on a level with Pete and Pete. It's got elements of The O.C. in that it's based on upper-class lifestyles. But I'm not going to discriminate against it based on that. Any given show is going to be about a very small slice of society. This one just happens to be an upscale slice.

It's a decent show. It's shot well, so it's visually entertaining -- something I can't say for most Disney and Nick shows. And, though it's classic preteen content, it's spun in a way that stops me from vomiting, as I do watching most other crap being peddled on children these days.

That's saying something. I'm 19 and I can tolerate this show. That's near-glowing praise.

So much internal bleeding...

Author: Opinionated_27 from United States
6 May 2006

This show makes me(and many others) hate their lives. Let's face it, Zoey is perfect; she's bland pretty, gets good grades, everyone goes to her for advice, she's popular, she goes to an amazing school with amazing rooms. Reasons why I gave this show a 3: 1. The acting is horrible.Sometimes I just want to hurt the people who put these untalented actresses(especially victoria justice) on television. 2. The characters are unbelievable and mismatched. You have your typical popular girl. A peppy, shallow, stupid ,stereotypical, girl who is portrayed by a horrible actress. Then you have a typical jock guy who is somewhat normal and actually nice.Then the stereotyped smart girl who is a freak and obviously does not fit in with the perfect popular friends of hers. Then a stuck up rich pretty boy that would be happier gazing into a mirror all day. Then the wanna be actress who is played by another stinky actress. And last a normal nerd person guy. 3. The plot is boring, and lame. 4. I hate how spoiled these characters are. Can't they just be normal! 5. Everything ends up perfect for them, and we all are reminded of how much our lives stink.

It falls flat on it's face...

Author: Zaptharo from United States
25 January 2008

For any fan of Nickelodeon who used to watch the network in the 80s and 90s, there was always something good on. You had entertaining acts like You Can't Do That on Television. You had weird but good shows like Pete & Pete. You even had cartoons that taught morals like Doug. But just like Disney, Nickelodeon has fallen down the tubes, limiting their demographic to shallow preteens and giving us poor excuses to come up with new, innovative shows. As I tried watching Zoey 101, I just shook my head in disgust.

The setting couldn't of been more fake than this one. Each character attends a boarding school called Pacific Coast Academy, boasting everything that a spoiled child wants. A sushi bar, laptops everywhere, flat screen TVs in every room, cool dorms to hang out, etc. The kids in this show are rarely seen in class and there doesn't seem to be any real teachers. It looks more like a place that you would spend on a nice summer vacation rather than to work and study while preparing for college.

The characters were also a factor that turned me off. Every episode consists of boy problems, situations that they caused themselves, and troubles that should be solved. Each character is a stereotype. Zoey (Jamie Lynn) seems perfect in anything she does, and each of her friends ask her for help when they feel they are in grave danger. Only leading her to have no other side. I've been through school and I can tell you, nobody is like that. Chase is dumb. Logan plays the arrogant tough guy. Quinn plays a nerd who is highly unrealistic in what she does. Michael is an idiot. Lola is a clone of Nicole. Dana is just well, a tough person. Why not use some originality? Something that is unique for these characters, and different from other personalities? Is being stereotypical the best the creators of this show can come up with? Instead, these actors are dull personalities with the sense in that there is a lack of creativity involving their roles. There is nothing here to be amazed or surprised at.

Not only that, but the show is clearly for the intent of aiming for kids of adolescence, facing a stage in that they must evolve from being a child to being an adult. Through that period they must learn to study on their own, make their own decisions, and do what's right for them. Zoey 101 contains nothing of those values. In this case, we are supposed to believe that looking good and having a stereotypical personality is all you need to succeed. I'm sorry, but that simply isn't true. People can't expect things to be handed to them like the actors in this show are and just let those things sit there. If I expect things in Zoey 101 to happen in real life, then I would be living in a fantasy world locked away in a dream house. Nothing in this show relates to those who face health and money issues. Neither does it relate to kids wanting to learn something meaningful.

So in conclusion, Zoey 101 is a show made by Nickelodeon that only falls flat on it's face. It displays a horrible message for kids and I highly think the show itself is simply inappropriate for them. Sure, it doesn't have morbid violence, but it teaches everything to make a kid act and look stupid. A horrible show, and should be forgotten with the rest of the garbage Nickelodeon has been making in recent years.

1 out of 10.

comments on zoey 101

Author: rclos68 from Canada
15 December 2007

I just want to stand up for this show everyone is dumping on. It is not suppose to be a realistic view on life in a boarding school. It's suppose to be fun, and for the most part it delivers the goods. I think the leading lady is rock solid in her role. She's not always perfect, like when she stood up for Dustin against a bully and also when she tried to baby him, sure life in the school is unrealistic, but that is the case for most, if not all? situation comedies of this sort. Examples, High School Musical 1 and two, Hannah Montana ex cetera, so just strap yourself in and enjoy the ride. The last of shows seem to have a lack of focus. The producers seem to be stepping away from the comedy and focusing more on serious stuff. The Haunting of pca by the ghost was very weird like the concept wasn't entirely thought through, if want more drama in the show the characters have to be deeper.

Page 1 of 15:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]