Minotaur (2006) Poster

(2006)

43 ReviewsOrdered By: Helpfulness
Surprisingly better than most Sci-Fi originals
Jack12 March 2006
Years ago, the people grew so greedy and hedonistic that they were no longer satisfied with worshiping a mythical god, so the Queen had sex with a bull and produced the Minotaur. Didn't turn out so good, a few deaths were involved, and the creature was placed in a labyrinth beneath the palace. Now every third year eight people are cast into the labyrinth as a sacrifice.

This had surprisingly high production values for a Sci-Fi original. All the sets were quite nicely done, and even the Minotaur looked very good. On the bad side, the characters just didn't have much character, nor screen presence, and it got pretty boring towards the middle. The worst part was that, when trapped in a series of caves with a killer critter, what would a person do? Perhaps be quiet so as not to attract the attention of the beast? Not these folks. The main character especially seems almost incapable of grasping the situation; He yells at the top of his lungs on numerous occasions. Once, the Minotaur is only a few feet away and the guy still can't shut up. He's also convinced that his girlfriend, who was sacrificed three years earlier, might still be alive somehow. I couldn't quite figure out how anyone could be so dumb as to believe such a thing. There's also a woman who screams a lot - not just a regular scream, but a long, long scream. Maybe ten seconds in duration. That's a real joy to listen to.

Two of the more entertaining characters are the high priest and priestess who are in charge of the kingdom. The priest likes smoking from a bull skull, and wants to get it on with the priestess. Seeing that she's his sister, she's rather cool on the idea, and jumps into the labyrinth as well. She's about the only interesting person down there. And one of the few people who speaks in such a manner that you can understand her. I missed a lot of mumbled dialog in this movie, but I don't think it served much purpose anyway.

Overall, I think the Sci-Fi Channel may be getting a little better at movie making (they've certainly had enough practice). This one was almost good.
47 out of 60 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Pleasant Diversion
bobwildhorror5 January 2008
Welcome to the CITIZEN KANE of Sci-Fi Channel movies. Not that MINOTAUR is faultless. It's just competent on so many more levels than your average Sci Fi-Schlock Fest that it appears great in comparison.

We have some actual acting going on. Granted, there is some great scenery chewing, but it's on a grand scale. There are some good effects. There are some epic looking landscapes and the occasional set. And the script and direction are actually acceptable.

On the down side, there's the same CGI overkill that seems to haunt every Sci Fi monster flick. Thankfully, this is kept to a minimum. We're also stuck in the same labyrinth/cave sets for way too long. And every so often I couldn't help feeling that plot points were being cribbed from a Terry Jones film.

But these are minor quibbles. There's some attempt here to breathe life into the monster on the loose genre. Not bad at all.
21 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Interesting Interpretation of the Mythological Creature
ennuidoll12 March 2006
I watched this movie expecting to be disappointed and bored to tears, but I was actually quite entertained.

The writers use the legendary Minotaur to create a new mythology around the beast for this film. The monster is created by a people who worship the bull and wished to have a living god. Interestingly, they chose to make the Minotaur white, no doubt to give props to the original myth.

The plot is fairly predictable, but with enough surprises and suspenseful moments to keep it interesting. The characters stay true to being primitive, ancient people. They are simple and their reactions are less than logical, but many horror movies have been built on bad reactions to scary things. The characters lack depth, but I don't think it's inappropriate considering the nature of the film.

The Minotaur itself is well put together. The effects are simple, but not bad. As I was watching I wasn't thinking about how poorly done the effects were or how much better they could've been. In other words, the effects didn't detract from the film without being devoid of effects--a rare thing in movies of this caliber.

The movie begins with an overview of the mythology for the film and sets up the plot very quickly. The rest of the movie takes place in the labyrinth and the palace above it where we encounter bizarre hedonists in a brother/sister prince and princess combo.

The movie is not terrible, nor spectacular. All in all, it was a treat for me to see someone use the Minotaur in a film.
34 out of 49 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Nothing brilliant but surprisingly one of SyFy's more tolerable movies
TheLittleSongbird18 May 2012
Minotaur was not a brilliant movie. And in all honesty, I wasn't expecting it to be, in fact considering SyFY'S reputation I was expecting much worse. There are problems, but to my surprise Minotaur was one of SyFy's more tolerable movies. The film surprisingly looks great, unlike other SyFy movies you can actually see and somewhat understand what's going on, the photography is not too slipshod, a decent job is done to make the setting believable and the scenery is really quite stunning. The music is another improvement, not forgettable or sluggish but often well-orchestrated with a couple of rousing moments. The main female character is also beautiful and doesn't fall into the trap of being too vapid, and while I think Tom Hardy knew the script was bad and overdid it sometimes there is an element of charisma about it that has been sorely lacking in other fantasy/adventure SyFy movies. The minotaur is rather unconvincing, with the quality coming across as choppy computer-game-ish, but I have seen far worse effects before. Besides the minotaur is quite menacing, again another improvement on other SyFy monsters. Minotaur also has a lot of faults, starting with the insipid dialogue and clichéd and personality-less(generally) characters and ending with a rather predictable and at times ridiculous story that takes time to get going in some of the cave/labyrinth sequences and Tony Todd(who was so brilliant in Candyman) overacting embarrassingly, like Danny Glover in Age of the Dragons and (I know this next example isn't SyFy but still) Jeremy Irons in Dungeons & Dragons he chews the scenery to pieces. Overall, not a brilliant movie and has a lot wrong with it but tolerable, compared to other things that SyFy have done. 5/10 Bethany Cox
7 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
For your lazy Saturday night
Geoffrey Reemer23 August 2008
Ah, Minotaur... saw this movie in my TV-guide on a lazy Saturday night. The review that came with it wasn't that good, but I had nothing better to do. So I just gave it a go.

Surprisingly, the story kept me entertained for the whole 90 minutes. Tony Todd was a real treat and you could see the actors were really trying to make something out of it. Sure, it's a B-movie and sure, it's going straight to DVD. But if you just watch it without too many expectations and without caring too much about plot holes, you'll have an entertaining night.

Special effects weren't that good, but the ancient atmosphere and camera work made up for that. Unfortunately, the Minotaur himself was too robotic for my taste. That took a little bit of the magic away.

Conclusion: Minotaur is a very approachable myth/monster movie that you can just pick up in the video store, or watch whenever it comes on TV. It's a fun way to spend a lazy Saturday night :).
9 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Don't be fooled, it's JAPMTVM...
innocuous11 March 2006
Just Another Poorly Made TV Movie.

A combination of poor script, minimal SFX, and wild over-acting by Todd and company make this a pretty sad take on the well-known myth. Corn syrup blood spews and there's a lot of noise. That's about it.

I did derive a bit of pleasure from trying to sort out all the different influences on Todd's portrayal of the "psycho" potentate. It's Frank Booth ("Blue Velvet") meets Thulsa Doom ("Conan the Barbarian"), with a bit of Jabba the Hutt thrown in for good measure. Until you've seen someone taking a "hit" off a cattle skull, you haven't seen good cinema.

There's some vague hope that things will pick up, until the victims are tossed into the labyrinth. From that point forward, it's a complete waste of time...typical monster-in-a-cave fare. You could probably make a drinking game out of it, though...everyone slams a shot whenever a foam rubber rock moves.

Save your time and rent "Jason and the Golden Fleece" or some other film that is at least a little entertaining.
38 out of 60 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Not my Crete
lastliberal24 March 2007
I lived on Crete for two years so I am familiar with the story of the Minotaur and the Labyrynth. They took that story and made some monster flick about how one dude (Tom Hardy from Layer Cake) found out his girlfriend was still alive in the maze and he set out to save her and the village. I do have to say I was most impressed with th Temple and the blood-drinking leader. I was even more impressed with Queen Raphaella - Michelle Van Der Water.

Was it a complete waste? No, the special effects were good, the monster was ghastly, and the action was what you would expect from a sci-fi film. Again, worth a look for Michelle Van Der Water.
12 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Good Entertainment
Claudio Carvalho29 December 2006
In the age of gods and spirits, the world was ruled by a dark empire from a palace in the Island of Minus. The locals worshiped the Bull, and the ambitious queen got pregnant of their god, generating an offspring part human part bull. When the prince is killed in the island, the dwellers blame the villagers and they are sentenced to give eight young women per year to satisfy the Minotaur. The shepherd Theo (Tom Hardy), son of the village leader Cyrnan (Rutger Hauer), misses his girlfriend that was abducted a couple of years ago. When he meets a leper seer, she tells him that his beloved Ffion is alive, and that Theo must go to the island to kill the beast and save his love. Theo goes to the palace and faces the king Deucalion (Tony Todd) and the Minotaur, supported by Deucalion's sister, the queen Raphaella (Michelle Van Der Water), who discloses the truth about the Minotaur.

"Minotaur" is a good entertainment, and of course is not the story of the Greek mythology of Theseus, King Minos of Creta and the maze of the Minotaur. The story is reasonable, the special effects are good and the acting is average. In the end, I liked this movie. My vote is six.

Title (Brazil): "Minotauro" ("Minotaur")
21 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Silly and insulting
atreidis28 December 2006
There are definitely some people who hate Greek Mythology. The proof lies in "Minotaur" movie.

They took the story of Minotaur from the Greek Myth and they distorted so badly ending up with this awful movie.

It is supposed to chance things cause you want to improve something not to make it worst.

The original story of Minotaur based on symbolism is full of meaning. The story of this movie has nothing to tell. Absolutely not enjoyable. Like somebody else said... they butcher the mythology of the Minotaur story to make this. It's silly and insulting.
22 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
" In the lair of the Minotaur, many go in, but no one survives the Beast "
thinker16911 May 2014
The legend of the Minotaur originated in antiquity when first related by the great storyteller Homer. Now in modern times several movies have been created and I've seen five. From among them all, this is the very best. The director is Jonathan English, with writers nick green and Stephan McDool. The tale is retold here and it tells of a peoples who lined the Mediterranean and fell under the tyrannical power of King Minos, who was cursed When he offended the Gods and who in return was punished by them. He had asked for a son, but was instead given one who fed on Human flesh. Each year, the king sent his warships throughout the land and forced his vassals to give him tribute in the form of young boys and young girls to be fed to his son the Minotaur. However, Theseus, the half-son of Zues volunteered to be among the victims and offers himself to the group to be sacrificed. Unlike others stories where the King's daughter fell in love with the heroic youth, this version is flagrantly dark and there is much violence, blood and gore to satisfy action oriented audiences. The film is more violent than others, but it's necessary to meet the requirements of advance theater goers. The star of this film is handsome, Tom Hardy who plays Theo or Thesus. Tony Todd is Deucalion the tyrant king who plays it to the hilt. Other cast members include Lex Shrapnel, Jonathan Readwin and Rutger Hauer as Cyrnan. There is a great deal of violence as I said, but it goes hand in hand with fiery, dark caverns, the amazing Minotaur and especially the explosive finally. Take it from me, this version will become a Classic and thus I recommend it enthusiastically to one and all. ****
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this