IMDb > Barnyard (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 16:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Short memories

Author: seeyounext2sday from United Kingdom
17 December 2006

I find it hilarious that so many people are gnashing their teeth and saying,"it's just a copy of The Lion King". This type of story didn't start in 1994 - the plot is ancient, with even Disney admitting that it was based on some of their earlier films, Hamlet and - get this - Exodus from the Bible (not including the fact that it was alleged that the whole movie was stolen from "Kimba the White Lion, but that's another matter). So, the genre is several millennia old. If people are going to accuse "Barnyard" of plagiarism, they should at least check the original source material before throwing stones.

Anyway, onto the film. I thought it was lightweight, but had some very funny parts. Thankfully, my children (13 and 8) are able to separate fact from fiction, so the images of bulls with udders, getting loaded on milk, stealing a car and evading the police whilst joyriding probably won't have too much of a negative impact on their lives. However, if, when they're older, they fall into the company of a gang of cows with attitude and a propensity for car theft, I'll know who to blame.

Some people really need to lighten up.

Come on, lighten up

Author: m_16801 from United States
5 September 2006

My daughter and I....ages 8 & 55 saw this over the weekend and I just don't understand why there are so many negative reviews. We both laughed most of the time...except when Ben died, and my daughter looked up with a serious look on her face and said..."that's sad isn't it dad". I wish my son would've been along to see the lesson about being responsible. I'm recommending it to everyone I see! Udders on bulls, cows stealing a car...I say let's not look to deep and just sit back and enjoy the stupid humor....farmer under the funny. Do we really need to be so critical of the quality of animation? I didn't even notice anything about it, I was too busy just enjoying what I thought was a good movie.

Nice story overcomes so-so animation

Author: Gregory Eichelberger from San Diego
30 July 2006

Yeah, I'll admit, after a glut of recent animal-centric CGI productions ("Over The Hedge," "The Wild," "Ice Age 2," "The Ant Bully," "Chicken Little," etc.), I had little hope for this Paramount effort, but I gladly admit I was wrong.

This was actually a pretty decent animated feature; and while the artwork wasn't the greatest (do male cows really have udders, and if so, do those udders look like baby bottle nipples attached to plumber's helpers?!), the story was good and the vocal characterizations were right on.

Ben the Cow (voiced by Sam Elliot) is the leader of the barnyard when the farmer is gone (why a cow has this role, and not a bull, a dog or a horse is never really answered). His sworn duty is to protect the animals from a pack of vicious coyotes, led by the vile Dax (David Koechner, "Anchorman").

Ben's favorite saying is, "A strong man stands up for himself, a stronger man stands up for others." Ben's adopted son, Otis (Kevin James, "King Of Queens"), however, has no such loyalties or philosophy, and is a living example that cows just want to have fun. That includes partying all night in a literal barn dance, ice surfing off a tall mountain with his idiot friends, or going for a joyride and "boy-tipping" with some "Jersey cows." Otis is definitely one non-stop party animal.

When his father is attacked by the coyotes while trying to protect the farm, though, Otis has got some growing up to do – real fast. His relationship with a new bovine, Daisy (Courtney Cox)- who's about to give birth - also proves to be a major complication.

Sweetly told, "Barnyard," with more than a passing allusion to "The Lion King," stresses the importance of fathers, friends, and mustering the courage to do what's right - there's even a couple of good old-fashioned tear-jerking moments here, as well.

Some small children may be frightened by the intense scenes with the predators, but, overall, while certainly no "Cars," this will keep both kids and their parents entertained for 90 minutes or so. And there's nothing wrong with that.

PLEASE read before wasting your money

Author: Sarah from california
5 August 2006

Hello - I normally love movies. I'm 19, I have seen many and dislike only one or two. This one though, the second it finished, I had to pull my sister (who had wanted to see it) out by the arm and I burst into tears of laughter as soon as I got out because it was such a ridiculously awful movie.

Why it was awful: - all the cows had udders, especially bothersome were the MALE ones with udders - none of the characters were unique or engaging, except perhaps the main Coyote Dag - the idea of cows keeping watch against coyotes is just ridiculous - the 'funny' moments are repetitive and become simply a sequence to out-do the last one - the themes of working together, which should have been present at the end, were nonexistent. Instead, people get the impression: Well, I'll take this all upon myself, and in this case I was lucky that my friends decided to back me up without my knowledge - all the moments similar to the lion king (as mentioned below) were beyond corniness, even for a kid's movie

and...the worst of all... IT PARALLELS THE LION KING IN EVERY SINGLE WAY Responsible father figure who is killed by Coyotes (the Coyotes are essentially the Hyenas, with Dag, the lead Coyote, being the equivalent of Scar) The farm falls into chaos, Odis (the cow, though basically Simba) wants to play around, and is shocked that his dad died, believes it was his fault (even though in this movie, it WAS his fault), confronts the Coyotes and gets an ass whooping, after which Dag tells him to leave, and on the verge of leaving, Odis somehow decides to go and save some chickens and his friends back him up (by complete surprise of course, he leaves without knowing they will come help him).

Other things taken from Lion King: stars moving around as signs, father figures referring to stars/signs in a mystical loving way, the obviously circularness of how the father Ben found Odis and took care of him, and how at the end Odis' love interest gives birth and he has a similar experience. Birth at the end? GOOD GOD, what the hell... and even similar type music, which seems completely tacked on at the end because it is completely different from all the previous music.

Honestly, this is the first movie I have ever seen where I really WAS rooting for the bad guys - I never understood what other people were saying, until now.

BOTTOM LINE: Don't waste your time to go see this. Convince the kids not to see it, and re-watch the Lion King. Either that, or take them to see the Ant Bully, which was creative and artistic.

I would never take my kids to see this...

Author: LiteBriteMeg from United States
7 August 2006

My boyfriend and I decided to go see this movie after we heard on the radio that it was a good movie worth seeing, even up there with "Cars". Within the first ten minutes of the movie, I was horrified. For starters, the cows, which should be females, had male voices. Then I realized they really are supposed to be guys. I put the transvestite cows aside for a bit and tried to keep watching the movie with an open mind, but it was just so corny I couldn't help but shake my head. I probably checked my phone about ten times to see if it was almost over. The plot was decent, if not predictable, but it took way to long to reach its point. I was having trouble sitting through it, and I'm 19. The children in the theater were actually getting up and running up and down the aisles. I felt like joining them. But my biggest problem with the movie was that it was loaded with drinking references, not to mention that the cows/bulls actually hot wired and stole a car, then drank and drive, broke into a boy's house to push him out of bed (he deserved it though), then ran away from the cops, whom the writers of the movie made look like terrible people. This isn't the kind of thing I would want my kid to be exposed to. There's way too much of that in the real world, if I wanted my child to watch guys drink and drive and lead cops on a chase, I'd pop them in front of the 10 o'clock news. Children's movies are supposed to be an escape from reality, not an escape into ridiculousness. What happened to the good morals and happy endings that children's movies used to boast? That's why Disney's old movies, like Beauty and the Beast, Lady and the Tramp, The Little Mermaid, etc. are classics. If you want your kids to see a great cartoon with basically the same plot as "Barnyard", rent "The Lion King". You can get a great story without the awful drinking and driving and grand theft auto references. The writers of "Barnyard" were obviously trying to continue the great trend of making a children's movie that a parent could enjoy as well, but they did so in very bad taste. I would never take my kids to see this, and I suggest you save your money and watch something else.

Harmless fun

Author: Bing5253 from United Kingdom
22 October 2006

Barnyard is an animated movie about life on a farm. It may not be as good as many other animations but overall I think that this movie was not a great disappointment. The animation is less detailed and more comic and cartoony but is still reasonably enjoyable. It has some good old slapstick violence and some hilarious creatures in. I agree that it should not be ranked along side Finding Nemo or The Incredibles however it does have some hilariously funny moments.

This movie stars Kevin James (King of Queens) and Courtney Cox (the woman we all know from "Friends"). It also has some performances from Danny Glover and Sam Elliot.

Overall, if you are looking for a mind blowing animated movie jam packed full of hilarity then this movie probably isn't what you are looking for but if you are just looking for a decent laugh then this is worth your while.

Funniest & Most Entertaining (for adults) Animated Film I Have Ever Seen

Author: ccthemovieman-1 from United States
30 January 2007

Just when I recently wrote about a new animated film being the best I've ever seen ("Cars"), a week later I watch this movie and now I have a new number one. I cannot believe how funny, how entertaining this film was. I give it a nod over "Cars" for two reasons: 1 - it's easier to watch being a half-hour shorter at 89 minutes, and 2 - it's even funnier.

This movie, especially in the beginning, provides almost nonstop laughs, the kind that adults were laugh at probably more than kids would. This is adult-funny, but don't misinterpret: there is nothing raunchy in the script. It's not totally innocent, either.

I do wave a "red flag" for small kids. There are a couple of scenes in here that are definitely too scary for little ones. I am referring to a pack of coyotes attacking "Ben," the father character seen early in the movie, and literally killing him. That, and the short funeral scene, are too intense for impressionable kids. Later, the coyotes return a few times, too. Those mothers who complained about their little kids seeing this have a legitimate point.

Nonetheless, for me - and I assume most other adults - the rest of this is pure entertainment, with a little sentiment mixed into the comedy as the main character, "Otis" (voiced by Kevin James) learns to grow up. Otis, however, is one of the funniest characters I have ever seen on film, animated or not. When he and his barnyard pals are partying it up, which is frequently, it's just hilarious. With those parties comes some great music, too. I found myself really into the music, more than on any animated film I have watched (or heard).

And - not only is the music excellent, the visuals are outstanding. The movie is filled with rich, deep colors that are stupendous to view.

Whether you are a teen or a senior citizen, I would think you would get a lot of laughs out of this movie. Some of the best animated films I have ever seen have come out in the past year or two, and I have to believe I'll probably watch this one more times than any of them.

Can't believe it

Author: busymom_x_4 from United States
14 August 2006

I cannot believe the number of people referring to the lead characters as 'boy cows'!! there is no such thing people!!!! There are cows and bulls and all males in the bovine species are bulls and do not have udders!!!! There was even an actual bull but it was like it was another type of animal completely! my god this is like drawing human ears on a cat, boobs on superman, or mickey mouse with blond shirley temple curls - even in animation it just doesn't work! giving human qualities to the animals is nothing new & to be expected, but changing their actual bodies into basically a transsexual figure is bizarre for a family cartoon - how many people- editors, writers, producers, animators saw this and didn't know any better or didn't say anything- it is completely astounding! i'm no snob & I luv animation- simpsons, beavis & butthead, south park, even ice age & all the other new ones out there - over the hedge was great- but this is nuts - totally nuts- i could not accept that that many people are that ignorant & i kept hoping for a reason for the udders in the film - an explanation - none came - and at the end when they hold up this little newborn calf & half its belly is udder & they pronounce 'its a boy' i nearly choked!!!! please, writer/creator let us in on the joke!

How to explain this for your children?

Author: xaba99 from Hungary
15 November 2011

Male cows?

Where did this come from? What are these creatures? Is any of the writers have studied basic biology? Are there any reviewer of the storyboard? Have the drawers ever seen a cow and a bull?

This movie is not safe for children.

The story is dumb. Animals are like balloons.

Giving 1 for this movie is overrating. I can't find the words how to describe the awfulness of this...

It's a shame for all the creators that they have participated in this movie...

Dumbing down our children

Author: Nanstein54 from United States
24 September 2006

I went to see this movie. The first comments out of my mouth were, "Couldn't they have gotten this anatomically correct or are they just that stupid?" I was disturbed the ENTIRE time that there were male cows. I had a hard time getting into the plot because I couldn't get over seeing udders on what should have been bulls with NO udders. Male cattle are bulls and they don't have udders. There is enough ignorance in the world and especially in America without writers and directors and producers not taking the time or intelligence to think that what they are showing to the general public can actually affect them. How many little children that have never seen a real cow and will never grow up on a farm or near real cows will grow up believing that there are MALE COWS WITH UDDERS? Even the woman beside us turned to us and said she thought that the movie was disturbing showing male cattle as cows with udders instead of as bulls with no udders.

Like the comment before mine said, his/her children were mesmerized. Well a movie that can mesmerize can also teach and what are they teaching? They are teaching a new generation of children to be stupid. And to be drunks. I do agree with that person that it was unnecessary to show drunkenness as being fun. Don't we have enough problems with people destroying their lives with alcoholism and don't we have enough AAA members and homeless people who have ruined their lives and the lives of their families without trying to promote drunkenness as fun in cartoons for a new generation of children? How many lives of child actors and actresses have been destroyed because they viewed drugs and alcohol as a way to have fun?

Page 1 of 16:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]