IMDb > "Power Rangers S.P.D." (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Power Rangers S.P.D."
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Power Rangers S.P.D." More at IMDbPro »

SPD is one of the best

Author: enami741 from United States
17 November 2005

S.P.D. is one of the best seasons since Time Force without any doubt. After a long time do we get to see so many characters with multiple dimensions. That Mighty Morphin era of good vs evil is now a thing of the past thanks to S.P.D.

The season begins with the introduction to the main characters: the rangers, Emperor Grumm, Broodwing and Piggy. As the season progresses the characters develop to an extent that everything falls into place at the end.

The Red and Yellow rangers who started as street Robin Hoods discovered themselves and their true potential as Rangers. They realized the difference they could make by getting involved in something big than resorting to petty crimes.Initially ignorant Jack, the Red ranger learned to appreciate friendship and teamwork.The Blue ranger, who we see as being disappointed and jealous of not being red turned out to have a reason for that. It's not about power but because his father was one of the best Red rangers ever! The Green ranger, who we were introduced as being the goof, turned out to have some cool abilities such as psychic ability. The Pink ranger is not just a pretty girl this time. She came from a rich family and was definitely privileged but decided to join the SPD in order to do something challenging. The Commander, an alien from another planet, has his own tragic history in which Grumm destroyed his home planet and took away his wife.

The bad guys are not just bad but they are "good" bad guys. Grumm's goofy yet devious portrayal places him with Mesogog and Lord Zedd as one of the best villains ever. Grumm's history with Commander Crueger adds an extra dimension to the conflict. Broodwing, a mercenary who served Grumm at the beginning had his own agenda. Piggy, an absolute opportunist and a double agent, was integrated so well in the story that despite his limited screen time he was an integral part of the show.

That was just the characters. The story, zord fighting sequences, the team ups, countless cameos and references to the past season is a true treat to all fans young and old. This season was the only one in my opinion that actually responded to the fandom in so many ways that no other seasons have ever done before.

Overall, S.P.D gets an A+.

A Feel Good Show

Author: sabiekay2006 from United States
17 March 2006

Ah, Power Rangers. I used to LOVE that show as a kid. I had the toys, watched the show religiously, and even played "Power Rangers" in the back yard. As I grew up, and more Power Ranger shows came on, I started to cringe at what the new seasons were like. I thought that they had lost the magic that was Power Rangers, and for the most part, I was right. Actually, when I had 1st heard of SPD, I refused to watch it. Just around fall or winter last year, I was flipping around on the TV one morning, and decided to watch SPD reruns. I loved it. The characters were complex, the plot line was good, and the dialog was not super cheesy. I just watched the finale this week, and I found myself not wanting it to end. That's how good of a show it was. It's not super "See This or Die!" like other hyped up shows, but this one has a lot of heart. It leaves a good feeling in my heart, and in the end, isn't that all you can ask from a TV show?

Great Series

Author: spade782-1 from United States
8 July 2008

Power Rangers SPD is one of the BEST Power Ranger series, since the show's debut in 1993. The series has a promising sci-fi storyline, VERY, VERY cool theme music and dynamic characters. The five rangers are a very awesome cast. The casting directors definitely got the right people. "Jack", the red ranger and his longtime friend "Z", the yellow ranger were like robin hood-like thieves, but decided to become part of something bigger, then joined the ranks of the SPD team, along with Syd, pink ranger, Bridge, green ranger and Sky, the blue ranger. The team had a few arguments from time to time, but became a great ranger team. Sometimes quarrels are needed to develop a superb group of people. That's the first time this has happened in Power Rangers history.

"Mighty Morphin Power Rangers" was the first cast and will always be the best, right along with "Power Rangers In Space". BUT with the police patrol and sci-fi themes like Star Wars, Star Trek, Babylon 5, etc, etc the SPD team is actually "THE" Power Rangers. The name fits perfectly.

Love it again, for the third time.

Author: Natalie&Nicole Lafferty from United States
1 September 2006

About the age of eight, I began liking "Mighty Morphin Power Rangers." I loved that show. However, being a Kimberly fan, I grew tired of the show when Kat took her place. I remember seeing the "Turbo" movie a few years later and marveling at how dumb it looked. I now realize I hate Turbo :). I assume Zeo was similar, but I don't think I ever saw an episode.

At about the age of 12, I began watching "In Space." I grew to love it. The acting was better and the plots were better. Zhane was my favorite then. I watched a whole lot of it and enjoyed every minute. When the show ended, I stopped watching it. "Lost Galaxy" didn't come for a little while, so I lost interest before I ever got a chance to see it. I never did see "Light Speed Rescue," "Time Force," or "Wild Force" either.

Now, at the age of 19, I'm into it again. It's a weakness that grabbed me over the years and has me in the grips yet again.

"SPD" is my new favorite. I like the idea of these five young adults in an academy. It's professional and I think very mature. It's not too mature for younger viewers, but they use 'big words' and act very military. My favorite character is that of Bridge Carson, the SPD Green Ranger. He is no doubt the comic relief. He's constantly confusing himself and is goofy around everyone. He tends to annoy his teammates, but they learn to love him. His physic abilities are also amazing and I think most developed out of all the rangers. Sydney Drew is adorable. Some may think she's an annoying brat, but I think she's a typical spoiled child. She can be unintentionally selfish, but she's learning. Her ability of turning her hands into elements is a very interesting idea. Jack Landors, the Red Ranger, and "Z" Delgado, Yellow Ranger," are also great, but not my favorites. Very early on they become great power rangers. Z never really has any problems with her team, but Jack bumped heads right away when he let being the 'large-and-in-charge' idea of being red ranger get the best of him. But they both love being rangers and will do anything to protect their planet. Z's replicate ability and Jack's ability of going through solid objects are both very unique. Okay last, but certainly not least is, because he'll get upset, Sky Tate, Blue Ranger. The wannabe red ranger was given blue ranger and has been upset since. He immediately bumped heads with Jack and the other team members tend to annoy him as well. Later Commander Cruger calls him a 'Self-righteous, pig-headed, ego-driven Ranger." That tends to fit him, but remember to be a ranger you must be true of heart and he defiantly is. His father's death is a real soft spot and Jack allowed him to fulfill his dream and use his morpher to become the red ranger to defeat the monster that killed his dad. His force-field may seem boring, but I believe it's the one of the best genetic powers. When the show ends, Jack leaves SPD and they promote Sky to red ranger and Bridge to blue. No word on who's the green ranger.

"Ninja Storm," "Dino Thunder," and "Mystic Force" have all caught my eye. I watch them all and tend to enjoy. But "SPD: Space Patrol Delta" is my favorite now. I also hope there will be several seasons of Power Rangers to come in the future. I would like see if any pull me in once again.

S! P! D! EMERGENCY! These comments are from Twins, but is written by one, Natalie.

Not the best, but it beats Turbo.

Author: Chris (cjpdigi90@msn.com) from United States
10 June 2005

As far as PR seasons go, the best would have to be Time Force or DinoThunder. SPD is something we aren't used to, but at times it's pretty cool. There are countless alien cameos which hardcore fans will recognize as monsters from previous seasons. There are episodes that shine like Recognition and Idol, and comedic characters like Bridge and Boom. I also realize that a lot of changes were made from the Dekaranger footage to make this. (Bullets are replaced with lasers.) It's not the best, but it's not the worst either *cough*Turbo*cough*. This, like Ninja Storm, is a stretch for Power Rangers. It's pretty good and I'm sure it'll get better as the series goes on.

Power Rangers S.P.D. is awesome

Author: clconner-08750 from Green City Missouri
6 August 2015

When Power Rangers S.P.D. came out I was only 3 so I only watched reruns of it. I watched it along with other Power Rangers shows that were going on at that time on Jetix because I was a big Power Rangers fan and I still am at 13. Power Rangers S.P.D. was my favorite. I am watching all the shows on Netflix right now and I figured out that Disney owned Power Rangers During Power Rangers S.P.D. and people keep saying that Disney ruined Power Rangers. I was only 3 at that time so I didn't see that anything was wrong with it. I grew to watching it and it was my favorite. Now that I look back at all the shows put together and I think that Disney actually did better than Saban. All the shows that Disney made just seemed better than Sabans. My favorite character was Sky the Blue Ranger. He was always my favorite. I think S.P.D. is the best Power Rangers show ever and I think Sky the Blue Ranger is the best Power Ranger ever. I have a lot of memories watching that show I even gave it a 5-star rating on Netflix. I love Power Rangers S.P.D. and Sky the Blue Ranger so much I bought a Power Rangers S.P.D. Blue Ranger action figure. I have beat the game on Game Boy Advance. I have drawn a picture of Sky the Blue Ranger and hung it up on my wall. I have watched every single episode of Power Rangers S.P.D. and it is awesome!

Awesome and it beats Lightspeed Rescue

Author: kiti22
15 July 2012

SPD is easily one of my favorite ranger series

the rangers are awesome, the Zords are Awesome,

the Costumes are Great

The Battlizer was Awesome

Doggie Cruger was awesome as a power ranger and hes one tough dog

he can stop Gruumm from you guessed it, take over the world.

The characters overtime became enjoyable, the villains are solid, the two team-up episodes with Dino Thunder kick butt, the story is developed well, we get to see 9 rangers in action (the most of any season so far) and that theme song just Rocks!, Then there's Piggy! Love him or hate him, he helped save the day and entertained!

This series was 10x better than Lightspeed Rescue

Thers also a Power Rangers SPD Video Game for the Game Boy Advance My Opinion .... This game lost the essence of the Power Rangers. Without the ability to morph , stage model repeated several times and bad soundtrack make the game get too Boring , whats strange about that game the final boss of this game was Benaag , did that game need to have more characters like Omega Ranger&Mora&Morgana&Broodwing&Kat Ranger&S.W.A.T. Megazord&Omega Max Megazord&etc , Why Don't you Hear the Power Rangers SPD Theme Song anywhere in that Game. But the Megazord fights are good. if you're a Power Rangers Fan, Do Not Add this Game to your Collection MMPR The Movie on Sega Mega Drive/Genesis and MMPR The Fighting Edition on SNES are still the Best Power Rangers Games Ever Made

Notes Power Rangers SPD The TV Series: 8 out of 10 Power Rangers SPD The Video Game: 3 out of 10

Keeps me and kids entertained

Author: powersackers from United States
23 December 2005

My almost 3 year old and 9 year old and I watched a few times on Jetix/ToonDisney and enjoyed it. This is my first exposure to Power Rangers and I was impressed enough to buy all 5 DVD's for Christmas. The plot lines and action are OK, and there are values taught within them. If you look at it from the target audience point of view its a good show. I haven't grown tired of watching the DVD's thus far and we've only opened 2 of them. Once we open the other 3 for Christmas the rotation will allow for many hours of entertainment. I even shelled out 150 bucks for some action figures, morphers and gun toys for the boys. Mystic Forces will be starting soon, It looks entertaining as well.

Wish they didn't dumb it down

Author: lordzedd-3 from United States
18 November 2006

As you are all aware of I am a big Power Rangers and Sentai fan, which goes way back to my childhood. After seeing Dekaranger Vs. Abaranger proves what I suspected for sometime now, that Power Rangers SPD has been dumbed down, there is not catching criminals in little cards, after judgment mode, they kill the offending monster like most Sentai shows. I have no idea why they decided to do that. Except they didn't like the "POLICE" being judge jury and executioner and that's bull. They should have not changed it. On the plus side, the blending of stock-footage is getting much more smooth and clear. If it wasn't for that cross over movie, I would have never known about the dumbing down. The monsters are cool and the robots they fight in is cool. Except for the dumbing down, it's a great Power Rangers show and I give it 6 STARS.

SPD Rocks!

Author: cvb72 from United States
9 May 2006

I can't believe those who prefer the supremely cheesy original Power Ranger shows. It must be the bias of youth and not wanting things to change. Actually I am a bit guilty of this as well since the newest series "Mysitc Force" doesn't float my boat like SPD. Disney now has Power Rangers Generations, and I cringe every time I watch an old show. I have even remarked to my husband that Power Rangers have come a long way.

My son absolutely loves the show. We watched one of the final episodes this morning. It definitely created some tension with the evil forces taking over headquarters, and the A squad defecting to the dark side. I am hoping that a sixth DVD comes out with all of the SWAT mode episodes!