IMDb > Halloweentown High (2004) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Halloweentown High (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Lucas Grabeel, one to watch

Author: mwahlq from United States
14 January 2006

This Halloween Town was again worth the time. Disney hit a home run with the casting and fine tuned the show for its audience. Lucas Grabeel stood out in this debut as Ethan, a warlock worth watching. He has much to offer the acting world and is going to go places in Hollywood and his newest release, High School Musical may be the launching pad. The show was fun and the Disney audience loved it. The Halloween Town High premise of creatures disguising themselves as high school students and trying to fit in when their peers find it hard to fit in themselves is a refreshing twist from the other roles available. Disney once again found a new vehicle for some talented young actors. Way to go, Disney!

And the Oscar Goes to...

Author: smalltownboy from Los Angeles, CA
12 October 2004

Halloweentown High, just premiering last week on the Disney Channel was a lighthearted family feature. Watching it, anyone would realize that this film was not out to grab a best picture nomination at the Oscars. However, for what it's supposed to be, Halloweentown High proves to be a film that children will enjoy to watch. With a wide fan base of children of all ages from the first two films, you can see why the Disney Channel is playing the movie several times all month.

While I read over a few of the comments made on the movie, I was perplexed at how some young girls went completely crazy over it, while others took out enough time to write a full essay on how horrible it was. As a movie for children, it's supposed to be cheesy; so expect that and you will find yourself pleasantly surprised.

A Good Way to Complete the Trilogy

Author: fratl from Fort Wayne, IN, USA
9 October 2004

I watched this movie knowing how much of a chance it had to be awful. The most recent Disney Channel original movies have been complete crap (case and point, The Cheetah Girls). And this movie is the third of two great movies already, and I was shocked to find that it was actually good! The only complaint I have is that there is no mention of Cal or Calabar, the villains from the first two. The story starts out with Marnie (Kimberly J. Brown) and her grandmother Aggie (Debbie Reynolds) are planning to bring kids from Halloweentown, disguise them as humans and have them attend a high school in the mortal world, to prove monsters that live in Halloweentown aren't dangerous. But of course, there is a problem, if Marnie can't prove to the humans that the monsters are harmless, she, and her family will lose all their powers.

When the monsters start attending the school, they all stick together and aren't interacting with their fellow human schoolmates, so Marnie suggests they do different extra curricular activities. Then, they start making friends. Then, they sign up to make a haunted house for their school Halloween Carnival, but they make it so it is a wax museum with wax monsters sitting, drinking tea, and eating cookies trying to how that monsters mean no harm. No kid at their school is amused by this. And during this whole time, the monsters are being chased down by evil knights, which leads to a surprising revelation. This Disney Channel movie has surprisingly good computer special effects. Considering their latest effects-laden original movie, Zenon: Z3, had the worst computer effects I've ever seen. Another thing great about this movie is that Disney seems to have a knack for getting the same actors back for their sequels to their original movies. Kimberly J. Brown, Debbie Reynolds, Judith Hoag, Joey Zimmerman, and Emily Roeske are all back, and have been in all three Halloweentown movies. If you haven't seen the original Halloweentown movie and its sequel, I would see those first, because there are some things that might not make sense. You have to see them in order to get the entire story. All in all, this is the best original movie Disney Channel has produced in quite a while. 9/10

Good movies!

Author: robinepowell from Quebec, Canada
12 September 2005

I really enjoy all three Halloweentown movies though the only thing missing from Halloween High was Marnie's friend Luke. Maybe he's too old to be in High School anymore but that doesn't mean he couldn't have come over to give some moral support. ;-) These movies maybe intended for kids but I really enjoyed them! When the first two came to TV, I taped them and had a neighbour copy them onto a few more VCR tapes for other kids I knew. A Halloween movie that's not at all scary is something I enjoy. I can't wait to buy all three movies on DVD! :o)

I am having someone I know who lives in the U.S. pick up a copy of each movie for me and mail it to me. Though I'm the only with a VCR copy of Halloween High and one day hope to pass the third installment onto all of my neighbourhood kids since I know they enjoyed both Halloweentown one and two.

Another hit in the Halloweentown trilogy!

Author: the_moody_youngest from Canada
25 October 2006

This was the best out of ALL of them, and I am being honest. It was the coolest, greatest, best written and acted one of them all. I love all the Halloweentown movies because of their plots! Witty and clever ones. You get to see a different villain, which I loved. In every Halloweentown movie, there is a new villain. I love that! In a lot of movies, they have the same villain for every movie. It had more characters i.e. Cassie, Natalie, Chester, Pete, Ethan and more, they are all students from Halloweentown come to the mortal world to see what it's like to live like a human. My favorite was Ethan! He is so good. Lucas Grabeel is such a good actor, and this was his first acting job ever, and he was excellent. We were also joined by Cody, a new student at Marnie's high school, who happens to like her, she likes him too! It's a real cool movie, the best one out of all, so check it out!

A third movie with the Halloweentown name does not a trilogy make (Spoilers included)

Author: saturniia from United States
10 October 2004

As both a fan of the first two Halloweentown movies and a student of Communication Arts, I was very much looking forward to the third movie in the Halloweentown series, especially since said series is supposed to end as a trilogy. However, the movie's narrative proved that this is not the case.

The first problem one encounters is that the flow of the story doesn't match up with that of the previous two movies. Sure, the flow of the trilogy goes from a childish good and evil narrative in the first move, through a revenge plot in the second movie that fits Marnie's status as teenager, into a reasonably adult diversification theme that metatexturally speaks of Marnie's selfishness. The problem, however, lies in the fact that our young protagonist goes about this in a way that is not structured in the exchange students' best interests.

SPOILERS BELOW!

Furthermore, Gwen, Marnie's mother, uses magic. This may not seem like a big thing to a first-time watcher, but throughout both earlier movies, it has been proven that Gwen actively *chooses* not to use her powers, especially while in the human world. The frivolous use of magic in a scene where Gwen and Marnie interact isn't only odd, it's actively confusing. The only times Gwen used spells in previous movies was as self-defense.

Also, certain characters who had a strong presence in the first two movies were noticeably absent. One can understand the under-use of Emily Roeske's Sophie, because the character is noticeably younger than her siblings and therefore probably still in middle school, but the absolute absence of Luke is inexcusable. This is a character that not only plays a major role in the first two films and is a fan favorite, but also the character who throughout the first two movies was positioned as having a crush on Marnie and, in the second movie, being her friend. While one can understand that contract negotiations and so on may have prevented Phillip Van Dyke from appearing in the movie, to completely forget the character's presence and importance is unforgivable. Even a single line explaining the character's absence would have been preferable. That would have explained why the parents and other more sophisticated viewers of DCOM didn't get any sort of triangle between Marnie, Luke, and Marnie's human boyfriend, which would have been infinitely preferable to the plot we were presented.

In conclusion, while the story is good enough on its own, and the costumes and special effects are magnificent, the movie's shortcomings handicap its impact. The movie is skewed, and appears to have nothing to do with Halloweentown so much as Marnie's selfishness in particular. This is, by far, the weakest of the three movies, while it had the potential to be the best. Disney undershot its goal this time, folks. 3/10 stars, for beautiful costumes and set design.

absolutely fantastic

Author: ele8405 from United Kingdom
25 February 2006

I loved this movie, I watched all 3 of them over Halloween last year I now have them on order although there could of been a better script I have equally enjoyed all of the movies & Finn Witrock who plays Cody is absolutely GORGEOUS.I would of liked it to of contained some of the cast from the other movies but nether the less it was still enjoyable to watch it was a mild horror movie for children & they (my kids) enjoyed it very very much & they can not wait to see if the next one comes out. i just wish that they did movies like this for adults as I am not overly keen on adult horror films. so over all ten out of ten for this movie & all of the other movies very entertaining to watch

Incognito As Humans

Author: bkoganbing from Buffalo, New York
8 April 2010

Those three generations of Cromwell women, Debbie Reynolds, Judith Hoag, and Kimberly Brown are once again fighting some evil forces that are trying to keep the world of Halloween away from the human world. This time it's a world exchange program that's at stake.

Young Kimberly Brown has the bright idea to have some Halloweentown kids come to the human world incognito as humans, the better not to instantly shock people to foster greater understanding. Of course the powers that be in Halloweentown remembering their experiences with humankind before are very skeptical.

But Kimberly believes so much in the project that she bets the family magic powers on it. The bet comes due appropriately on Halloween.

The Magic Kingdom has developed its own nice little franchise in the Halloweentown movies to go along with the various incarnations of High School Musical. Debbie Reynolds and the rest of the cast are as enjoyable as they were in the first Halloweentown film. And if the school looks familiar Zac Efron and company sung and danced there. And Lucas Grabeel of the High School Musical films is also part of this cast as one of the Halloweentown transfer kids.

Halloweentown High is good viewing during goblin season.

A fun, enjoyable film

Author: RuthieDear from United States
8 October 2009

I was never a huge fan of the first two Halloweentown films - the first one felt clumsy and choppy, and the second was just plain dull. I actually prefer Halloweentown High over the others.

First of all, the plot is executed without any awkward dragging bits (think about the long time travel sequence in Halloweentown II, or the anticlimactic ending of the first film). The Halloweentown setting is a good idea that was not used to its full potential in the previous movies. Now, the focus is on the characters, which I think is a great improvement. It lacks visual excitement, but makes up for it in the storyline. And for once, the villain is not a cheesy coot intent on gaining power. His goal is to keep the two worlds separate, not world domination.

Kimberly J. Brown delivers another fabulous performance, and I wish she could have been in the fourth movie as well. Her grandmother is just adorable, flirting with the principle and turning a science experiment into a parrot. Lucas Grabeel, of High School Musical fame, steals his scenes (although I laugh whenever I see his cowboy costume) as the troubled and somewhat annoying Ethan. The only performance I found to be wooden was that of Cody, Marnie's love interest. He seems to have two default facial expressions.

Many critics of this movie have pointed out inconsistencies such as Gwen using magic, or their last name changing. To set things straight, Piper is the last name of Marnie's human father, so she and her siblings bear that name. Cromwell is Gwen's maiden name, and the name of the famous family she comes from. Marnie considers herself a Cromwell now that she has witch powers. As for Gwen and her magic, it's character development. She is beginning to appreciate her background more, and as she accepts the truth about her mother and daughters she begins to accept the truth about herself.

All in all, I enjoyed this movie a lot. 9/10.

Where in the world is Halloweens town?

Author: aeondolphin from United States
28 August 2006

This movie is no were near as good as the rest of the series. Now, right away they start talking about Marnie's "punishment" for opening the halloweentown portal, this is impossible since it happens almost two years after. Lastly not going to halloweentown or having a big magical confrontation killed the fun of this world for my friends and family. Most didn't care about a magical fun-house. In the story Marnie had to "fight this magical knight, they never fought and the story had almost nothing to do with halloweentown. Now the same humor is there I do enjoy myself with that. But after Halloweentown II, I expected more, more magic, more kalbar or evil warlock/witch things. But they didn't have it, so as a summary: This movie is nice but couldn't possibly stand up to the previous movies