IMDb > Mrs Henderson Presents (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Mrs Henderson Presents

Mrs Henderson Presents More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 18:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

The Best little movie you'll never hear of!

Author: carriecerta1 from Los Angeles, USA
5 December 2005

Long time viewer of IMDb.com but first time poster. I just HAD to post after that negative listing I saw because I couldn't disagree more! I found the movie hilarious and touching. The history of the Windmill Theatre is extraordinary! I come from a theater background and currently work in production for television and film... and I just loved this movie. From the script, to the costuming, the acting, music and imagery... beautiful. My only complaint would be to the Weinsteins - where is the PR??? Dench and Hoskins are amazing! Oscar contenders for sure! I know it won't be released wide until January and I do hope it picks up speed because there's no good reason NOT to see this movie - there's humor, nudity, history, a little romance, a little violence... it has something for everyone!

Gently amusing British wartime film with superb music

Author: svw from London, England
4 December 2005

I cannot believe how badly this lovely film has been savaged on IMDb.

Apart from spectacular vaudeville staging, Judi Dench plays her eccentric, mischievous widow to perfection and the excellent Bob Hoskins is cast surprisingly out of type as a reserved, rather complex, gentlemanly but iron-willed theatre manager. Their argumentative relationship is amusing without being overbearing, as the film is essentially a nicely balanced ensemble piece. Dench's character Laura Henderson turns out to have a very touching motivation for her desire to stage daring musicals for brave young men off to war. Will Young gives an astonishingly strong vocal performance throughout. His mannered vocal style is perfect, and he looks every inch the part on stage. His few brief moments of acting are nothing to blush over either. Kelly Reilly, the star of the naked girlie reviews, is quite simply mesmerising to watch, and ultimately her character is full of pathos.

And if none of that were enough to engage you, you've got an interesting wartime plot, based on true events in the history of the Windmill Theatre, which in current circumstances feels highly topical and relevant for Londoners. 9/10

A winner

Author: hmd4321 from Milwaukee, Wisconsin
23 October 2005

A lovely movie. The idea that a movie about a strip joint could be so classy and funny seems absurd. Yet here is a loving portrayal of London's Windmill Theatre whose motto "We never closed" (or, as some wags used to say, "We never clothed")sustained them through World War Two and at least into the 60s. Judy Dench seems to have shed her Dameness for a a high old time as a very glamorous, and slightly camp, septuagenarian. Bob Hoskins (also producer) is very restrained yet determined as her adversarial business partner. And Christopher Guest puts in a surprise appearance as the Lord Chamberlin befuddled at having to grant a license to such a licentious business enterprise. It is he that comes up with the idea that nudes absolutely still on stage are "art". The depiction of the London Blitz is romantic and at one moment tragically graphic. A must for Denchophiles, Anglophiles, nude lovers, showbiz types, and anyone who likes a good yarn well told.

MRS. HENDERSON PRESENTS is a brilliant film and a great story.

Author: screenwriter-14 from United States
10 December 2005

Judi Dench as MRS. HENDERSON is a joy to watch from the first scene in the cemetery to the last scene on a roof top in London. A powerful story of a rich English woman who strikes gold with an investment in a theater in London during World War II and turns her investment into a brilliant refuge for her audience as bombs drop all around the theater.

Bob Hoskins turns in a performance as brilliant as Ms. Dench and the two of the them on the screen together is such a pleasure to watch two polished and professional actors light up the screen. The chemistry between them is marvelous, and their scenes together are filled with tremendous writing and biting humor. A "cinematic joy" just in time for the Awards season.

MRS. HENDERSON PRESENTS brings us back to the time of World War II and visually shows us the strength of character which the English people had in fighting the Germans and the tremendous sacrifices made by Great Britain to win the war. The supporting cast of beautiful women, and the marvelous role Christopher Guest has in the movie makes this film one to remember and cherish during the holiday season.

LET THERE ALWAYS BE AN ENGLAND.

An all-round British triumph

Author: bushbabyskip from United Kingdom
30 December 2005

How to start on this spectacular film?

The music is superb, Fenton did a sterling job in providing the score for this enthralling musical. Judi Dench sits, as always, perfectly in the role of rebellious Laura Henderson, and her rapport with Bob Hoskins gives a punch to the storyline. The stunning Kelly Reilly combines her English-rose appearance with wartime tenacity and delivers a truly believable and moving performance throughout. Will Young, a surprise casting for many, heads the musical cast with an almost scarily convincing performance as the energetic performer, Bertie. He's rightly received glowing reviews after his substantial appearance in the movie, most notably from Dench and Hoskins themselves - inspired casting by Frears.

This film is a perfect example of typically British humour and attitudes, particular during WWII - In fact it's been a hit with many people from the era (when I went to see it I was surrounded not least by people of 60 and over who reacted to the film with raucous laughter and many a teary eye). I whole heartedly recommend this film to anyone with a love of music, comedy, history, Britain or simply bloody good acting.

A wonderful movie

Author: jimpryke from Sedona, AZ
14 December 2005

I saw this movie last night at a screening in Sedona,AZ. I thoroughly enjoyed every aspect of the show. The casting was perfect. The sets were marvelous. The acting was superb. The chemistry between Judith Dench and Bob Hoskins was palpable and just fun to watch. Kelly Reilly, Will Young, Christopher Guest, Thelma Barlow and the remainder of the cast brought to life a very poignant story of a slice of life in WWII London and the spirit of the people of the West End theater district. All of the storytelling, dancing, singing and script was masterfully choreographed and crafted by the collaboration of Director Stephen Frears and Writer Martin Sherman to produce an extremely entertaining movie well worth a few hours of your time and worthy of all the acclaim I'm sure it will receive. A must see movie.

A feel good experience

Author: robrpc-1 from Australia
1 January 2006

This little gem was given a bad review by a local newspaper critic and I couldn't disagree more!! I loved it. Judy Dench (the wonderful) and Bob Hoskins are fabulous in their roles and I loved the flirtatious undercurrents. This film made me laugh and cry .... I left the theatre feeling lovely ... what more could you ask for in a movie?? The history of the Windmill Theatre and the (ludicrious) laws allowing the nudes on stage was very interesting. I think Will Young did very well in his first movie, I am an oldie who enjoys his singing. All in all a great movie, Judy Dench fans wont be disappointed, and I hope some younger movie goers give it a go as its well worth the viewing.

The Perfect Escape...Cinematic Fun

Author: jsemovieman from St. Louis, MO
11 December 2005

As the closing feature of the 2005 St. Louis International Film Festival, "Mrs. Henderson Presents" was shown to a nearly full theatre. Coming from the United Kingdom, the film is not a drama nor is it a comedy. "Mrs. Henderson Presents" is best described as a "dramedy" mixed with a musical. Judi Dench dives into her usual role with ease, playing Laura Henderson. As an upper-class widow left with heaps of money, she decides to purchase a theatre, which she names The Windmill. Through the love-hate relationship between Mrs. Henderson and her theatre manager (the terrific Bob Hoskins), they present the most revolutionary program in England: nude women on stage. "Mrs. Henderson Presents," constantly switches from drama to comedy, but is so skillfully directed by Stephen Frears that it maintains a fluid and graceful tone. This is a film that is told through the eyes of its main character, Laura Henderson, so an unrealistic sense of optimism exists. The message lies in the naïve buoyancy Mrs. Henderson grabs from the continuous tragedy and sadness.

Stephen Frear's new film is truly heartbreaking and tragic, but ironically, is incredibly fun. In "Mrs. Henderson Presents," The Windmill Theatre stands tall like a knight in shining armor to the soldiers and crowds of England. It is also a pleasurable escape that certainly deserves more than one visit.

An exceptional little film

Author: jprhedd from Florida
25 December 2005

I seem to be on a Judi Dench role this week, first having seen Ladies in Lavender and now Mrs. Henderson Presents. Such a lovely actress. Bob Hoskins is another favorite having played a wonderful part in the Dunera Boys, a lesser known but excellent movie. They were so well matched in this movie and all the other parts were played with equal professionalism. I really cannot fine any flaws in the film. I am a big fan of musicals so that might have helped and might put some people off, but the numbers were well staged. Enough wry wit, drama and storyline for most people. This is what I would term, a small film. No blood and guts, no massive video effects but rather old war footage, no massive attack scenes. Just a story about life during WW2 on the West End of London.

It is rare that a movie can make you laugh and cry

Author: alecchristie from London
3 January 2006

Magnificent performances from Bob Hoskins and Judi Dench make this the film of 2005. It is a fantastic example of British cinema doing what it does best. Combining a period setting with comedy, pathos and tragedy this is a film that takes you from tears to laughter in a matter of moments. Judi Dench's opening scene takes us from the sober and controlled environment of a pre-war aristocratic Englishman's funeral to a moment of pure emotional release in the apparent privacy of a rowing boat on an English river. Mrs Henderson copes with the loss of her father not by attending coffee mornings or charity functions, but by purchasing the Windmill Theatre and putting on a bawdy burlesque revue. Enter Bob Hoskins as Vivian Van Damm, the cigar smoking Dutch Jewish theatre manager. The two have a love hate relationship which is so well acted the chemistry between the two of them is electric. (possible spoiler) At one point Mrs Henderson approaches Vivian Van Damm after he has received news of the round up of Dutch Jews by the Nazis. This scene is underplayed which such sensitivity by both actors it elicited an emotional response in myself and all the people I was watching the film with. Excellent casting from Leo Davis. Kelly Reilly is the one to watch out for in 2006. Thelma Barlow and Christopher Guest were hilarious as Lady Conway and Lord Cromer. Martin Sherman script is clever, witty and deeply moving. I left with a tear in my eye and joy in my heart. Unmissable. And Will Young can act as well as sing.

Page 1 of 18:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]