The Librarian: Quest for the Spear

Page 1 of 12:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

A thoroughly enjoyable TV-version of Indiana Jones

Author: SaturnWings from United States
11 December 2004

I liked it. I admit to catching the movie only because of Noah Wyle, but the movie caught me. It was fun, not taking itself too seriously, and the feature character is an unlikely hero, which is always worth watching. The name librarian is misleading since Noah Wyle's librarian character is more archaeologist and artifact keeper than librarian, probably why he's the librarian instead of a librarian, a different Jane Curtin will have you remembering.

The plot here is pretty basic. Geeky guy needs to save the world with beautiful woman to help him. She's the brawn; he's the brains. If you like fun little action-adventure movies, this is the kind of plot you're used to.

If you're looking for something different, don't look here. There's very little originality to bed had, but then again, since when did people start expect originality in a made-for-TV action-adventure?

The acting isn't bad nor is it great. It's definitely good enough for a made-for-TV movie. On top of that, you get to see Bob Newhart as a magic marine who kicks ass and saves the day. If nothing else, you should watch to see old Bob Newhart learn a few new tricks. ^_^

The music is pretty standard stuff. Think of it as a cross between Stargate SG-1 and Xena with some random rock beats tossed in for fun. It's perfectly suited for this kind of movie and doesn't try to step outside the box. Granted the rock beats got a little jarring at times due to their unexpectedness but the overall feel was fairly cohesive.

As for the 'action' portion of the program, it's more than fair. After all, if you're going to cast Kelly Hu in a movie, you make good use of the flair that she's known for, a touch of martial arts found in a good old-fashioned fist-fight. Hu's much more of a natural at this than her good-girl counterpart, but that's only to be expected since we are talking about the woman who got to give Wolverine as good as he gave. As for Bob Newhart, I couldn't possibly say whether or not he was good at the action bit. It's too weird for my mind to wrap around, but at the same time, I really liked him in this role. Noah Wyle was the brains so his fight scenes mostly involved him getting beaten up.

Overall, this was a really fun movie. I found myself watching it again when it re-aired. I dearly hope they make a sequel. This movie was much more conducive to a sequel than many other made-for-TV movies. I don't know that this would make a good series, but I'd be willing to bet it wouldn't be too bad if they tighten the story a little. After all, there's got to be a reason why there were so many threads left untied at the end of this movie.

Good, light-hearted movie

Author: Jason Hosler
5 December 2004

The Librarian: Quest for the Spear is a film that doesn't take itself too seriously. Though having a few minor errors in the proper names in legends, and having a protagonist that knows more and can put things together better than anyone ever really could, this movie is a very entertaining look at a work where every legend and fantasical story is completely true.

The basic concept is that Flynn Carsen (Noah Wyle) is a 30 something professional student with upwards of 27 advanced degrees. After his Egyptology professor graduates him early to force him into getting out of school and into the real world, he gets a job as the Librarian for the Metopolitan Public Library. Immediately after his interview he finds out that the Library that he is to be in charge of contains such wonderous treasures as the Ark of the Covenant, Pandora's Box, and the Golden Goose, as well as a fragment of the Spear of Destiny. Shortly after starting his new job the fragment is stolen by the nefarious Serpent Brotherhood. Flynn is sent to recover all of the pieces of the Spear with the help of Nicole No one.

While fairly predictable in resolution, this film offers light hearted romp though an interesting view on a more or less obscure legendary artifact.

This is a truly great movie.

Author: XEDBlondie from Kenmore, USA
11 December 2004

This is a truly great movie. I highly recommend it to anyone who likes spoofs, and comedy. I loved the character development of Flynn, and Noah Wyle did a wonderful job portraying him. I also liked the way they made Nicole seem really snobby, but turned out to be really helpful. If you are looking for a good family movie you might want to try this one. This is one of my top 3 alltime favorite movies and even if it doesn't have real depth to it it's still a truly funny, great movie, and should be seen by all movie lovers. If you want a good way to spend an evening, this is a very good option, it has wit, daring, and a spastic librarian who has to hold his own against the bad guys. Truly inspiring.

I enjoyed watching this film with my grand daughter

Author: derrick-48 from United Kingdom
1 January 2006

I liked the film, it was light hearted, didn't take itself seriously, (unlike some of the 'critics in here) It's a family film, which is as rare as rocking horse Poop these days, forget about the goofs, if you take every film apart you'll find them any where

If you want a film you can watch with a 4 to 80 year old, this is for you, just sit back and enjoy, I'd like to see a sequel to it (even if its just to see Sonya Walgar again, an unlikely heroine)

I know there are traces on 'Indiana Jones' here, but what the heck, every film can have traces of other films in them, why not this one, just enjoy it, my 4 year old grand daughter enjoyed it and its normally hard for her to sit through a film of any kind

I'm A NeRd 2!

Author: sccarnes13 from Tennessee
2 November 2005

My kids and I LOVED this movie! It took me a few minutes to catch on to the tongue-in-cheek/spoof/parody character of this one. Once you get it, though, the sometimes less-than-great special effects and sometimes corny plot elements fall into place beautifully. And yes, there actually WAS a plot, complete with interesting characters, and a STELLAR cast. In addition to seeing Noah Wyle's funny side, you get to see comedy at its best with Bob Newhart, Jane Curtin, and Olympia Dukakis in roles that MUST have been written just for them. The chemistry between the Librarian and the bodyguard is terrific. Watch this one with an open mind and you won't be disappointed. HOPING FOR A SEQUEL!!!!

Good Fun!

Author: kat-310 from United States
19 March 2006

This movie is light-hearted and fun. Shows that even intellectuals can be adventurous, and good guys can win. The historical and mythical artifacts were terrific, and their basic premise sheer inspiration. The various locations around the world added an interesting element with exotic lands and beautiful scenery. Also, the existing and developing relationships were handled in a believable fashion. Great work by the main character, who is versatile, entertaining and talented. Also appreciated the "side-kick" who had many skills and provided some counterpoint to the bad guys. Would love to see a sequel with the same characters, maybe picking up where this one left off.

MaYbE I'm just a NeRd

Author: rainybklynight from Brooklyn, New York
22 December 2004

I personally loved this movie, It was fun. Finally a movie where the smart guy/nerd is glorified and isn't the villain. It had hilarious moments and I guess I'm just weird that I like it so much. I mean, people take it way too seriously, People, ITS NOT THAT SERIOUS! It's just a good adventure and the characters are fun and funny. The jokes are laughable, as they are supposed to be, unlike in so many movies I've seen where the jokes are unbelievably corny. Obviously, these people know what they're doing.(referring to directors and screenplay writers, et...) I loved the main character, Flynn, he was a riot, and so was very lovable. There were many parts of this movie that I loved and will always love. Anyway like I said, maybe I'm just a nerd.

A Nice Start...

Author: johntam from Chicago, Illinois
10 December 2004

I like this movie because it shows the rewards of both study and hard work. I like it because Flynn is genuinely nice and naive, while still an able hero. I like his sidekick/enforcer, Nicole No one (There is a "trust No one" line, of course), played with aplomb by Sonya Walger. And of course, there is no way anyone can miss a movie where Bob Newhart sports a Marine Tattoo on his chest and engages in martial arts fighting!

This is a move that the family can watch with no worries at all. The pilot had a lot of setup work to do, but it got it done, so the next movie, or hopefully the weekly series, will be less hokey in the setup. Here's hoping for a series.

Awesome - want more!

Author: rljensen from United States
20 May 2005

Perfect family or "date" movie. Have two boys 10 and 12 who love anything action/adventure/fantasy. It is hard to find age appropriate movies in these genre that aren't campy or a bore. This has it all. Noah Wylie is cast perfectly, as is Jane Curtain and what a surprise Bob Newhart is. Cudos to the casting agents! This film is clean but yet full of action and adventure and humor. Nothing inappropriate or even moderately suggestive, no nudity, profanity or gore. There is one scene where someone is killed and might be a bit much for very young kids, but totally mild by today's standards. Even Nemo is scarier than this. This also lacks the "dark" of Tim Burton films, Lord of the Rings or even some of the Star Wars, etc. We need a series or at the very least a sequel and fast! If anyone knows any scoop on that, please email me!

Entertaining Adventure

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
3 May 2009

The thirty year old nerd professional college student Flynn Carsen (Noah Wyle) has twenty-two graduation courses; lives with his mother and has no girlfriend. When his Professor Harris (Mario Ivan Martinez) releases him from his class and asks Flynn to find a job and face the real world, Flynn receives an invitation for an interview in the public library for the position of librarian. He succeeds and is hires, and finds a secret brotherhood that protects Excalibur, Pandora Box and other treasures of mankind. When a magic spear is stolen by the evil Serpent organization, Flynn is assigned to travel to Amazonas to retrieve a hidden part of the magic object. He teams-up and is helped by the sexy bodyguard Nicole No one (Sonya Walger) and together they face dangerous situations chased by the Serpent's agents.

"The Librarian: Quest for the Spear" is an entertaining adventure that follows the non-stop action style of Indiana Jones. The clumsy Flynn is very funny and shows a great chemistry with the athletic and gorgeous Nicole. Now I intend to watch the sequels of this enjoyable story. My vote is seven.

Title (Brazil): "O Guardião – Em Busca da Lança Sagrada" ("The Guardian – Quest for the Sacred Spear")

Page 1 of 12:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]