IMDb > Half Light (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 12:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Eerie Little Thriller

Author: del hart from Tenerife
18 November 2005

This movie is good, well acted, well scripted, well directed, and above all, it will keep you guessing to the end, I do not know enough about "The Technical Side" of movie making to comment, all i know is, if i see a film i like, or for that matter dislike, then i will make a comment on it, after all its only entertainment. Too many times you read about the, ins and outs of film making, and all the back stage stuff, when really all you want to know is, will i enjoy this film, and the answer to Half Light is yes, no swearing, very little sex content,just a nice put together thriller, enough twists and turns to keep the momentum going. i am trying to find something to moan about in this movie, and to be quite honest there is nothing, Demi Moore is very good in the lead role, and the mainly British cast is excellent Go see it, judge for yourself, i do not think you will be disappointed.

Surprisingly good... give it time!

Author: donjuanramirez from United Kingdom
16 January 2006

I was lucky enough to see a copy of this with my wife recently... and wasn't entirely sure what to expect. I was pleasantly surprised! The acting of all characters was very good, with Ms. Moore putting in an excellent, yet sometimes implausible (scripting?), performance. The shooting of the film is excellent with the locations adding much to the feeling of the film. There are enough twists and turns in the plot to keep you guessing, even if you think you have it worked out within the first half, as we both did, you'll doubt yourself from then on in.

My one criticism is the start of the film. It feels somewhat piecemeal and directionless, perhaps on purpose to mirror the main characters state of mind, but it just doesn't seem to gel, and the scoring feels the same, however don't let that stop you watching this film as once past the first few scenes you will be tripping over yourself trying to figure it out.

All told this was a well produced, well filmed, well acted movie, and don't believe any of the 'horror' tags, it's more suspense/thriller, and very good to boot!

What a pleasant surprise!

Author: tennrose from United States
24 January 2006

I had never heard of this movie when my husband rented it, and was pleasantly surprised. Demi Moore was excellent, but i felt like Hans Matheson really was the top performer in this movie. His wonderful Scottish accent and sweet face made him extremely appealing, making you want to check out other movies he was in. The scenery was beautiful, and I absolutely fell in love with the light house. It was really neat to see wild horses on the light house island.

I loved the mysterious plot, but the movie left me a little sad. There were a lot of plot twists, and I watched the movie two days in a row to see if I could figure out a couple of things! This is a movie that I will probably buy to keep, so I can watch it from time to time.

More spooky than horror

Author: Soong from United Kingdom
26 November 2005

Writer Rachel Carlson played by Demi Moore is left unable to write after the tragic death of her son.

In a hope to remove her writers block she moves to a remote island off Scotland. A local psychic startles her with a comment about her son and after befriending a local lighthouse keeper things begin to get creepy. Is she imagining strange things happening because of the isolation and the fact she has recently stopped taking medication for depression, or are they real? There is an unfortunate plot stopper 3/4 of the way in the film where a conversation opens out the plot to a point you may think why continue watching, but there is still a twist in the end.

R17 rating but no profanity or nudity (but did have short above the shoulders tasteful sex scene). I think the rating came from one violent scene in particular involving a child. A little bit of gore toward the end but not too graphic.

Surprisingly Chilling Little Movie.

Author: Mr_Ectoplasma from New York, NY
8 September 2006

"Half Light" is one surprise of a movie. The film is about a writer, Rachel Carson (Demi Moore) who tragically loses her young son when he drowns by the dock near their house in England. Devastated from the event, Rachel's friend rents her a secluded island cottage on the Scotland coast so she can relax and recover in the comfortable atmosphere, and conquer her current writer's block. But when she arrives to the little old cottage on the edge of the ocean, weird things start to happen. She has strange visions of her son, she spends time with a man living in a lighthouse who has supposedly been dead for seven years, and the townspeople are also quite strange. Real life terror and supernatural events drive Rachel into hysteria from there, as she tries to unravel a complex mystery.

This was a surprisingly chilling little thriller film, the atmosphere of the whole secluded ocean village was unique and neat, the little village set itself sitting right on the sandy beach. There are a lot of dark gray and foggy tones in the film, which add even more to the atmosphere. I liked the whole feeling the film had, it was isolated and eerie. It's kind of hard to explain, I can't really put my finger on it, but the whole atmosphere was foreboding and spooky. Demi Moore was great, she's a pretty believable actress from what I've seen. Her performance was realistic and fit the film well. The settings are great and really spooky on many occasions, particularly the small cottage and the old lighthouse. The story was rather original, and very subtle with overall good writing. The ending was a bit of a twist-ending, blending real-life horror with a supernatural addition, but it fit well and I wasn't disappointed with it (like some twist-endings leave me).

Overall, "Half Light" is a good little thriller film that caught me off guard, I was expecting something along the lines of cheap straight-to-video garbage. It's quite the contrary though. The Gothic, seaside atmosphere was excellent and well put-to-use in the film, and the creepy little story was well written with a satisfying conclusion. Fans of supernatural thrillers will definitely want to check this one out, it's a good one for sure. 7/10.

pretty good actually

Author: camandsoph from Canada
10 January 2006

not a bad movie at all. more of a love story than a ghost story - but the two are woven together pretty successfully. The ending falls short, but the rest of the film is well planned.

Moore is an odd choice for the lead, but she turns out pretty good - despite a general unbelievable reaction to later events in the story ( but this is more script ).

some beautiful cinematography and settings, and a few creepy moments. Some good acting too ( but some mediochre stuff mixed in ). Its clear why this movie was not mainstream enough for the theatre, but its a worthy DVD rental or download. On the whole Its a strange one - i thought it was very good, but also not very good at the same time.

Can you feel the chill, really spooky.

Author: JuRo Baran from Slovakia
7 January 2006

It was a really nice surprise for me, I didn't expect so good movie. What's it about? Rachel Carlson is a successful mystery novelist whose life falls apart when her 5-year-old son drowns at her country home. A year later, in an effort to heal her wounds and help her to start writing again, her best friend rents her a secluded cottage in a remote fishing village, where events unfold that rock the tranquil village and cause Rachel to fear for her sanity and her life. The main actress was Demi Moore, and I think she played her role excellent. To beginning, it was a little bit confusing because you don't know that is fake and what is real.

Euro..enjoy

Great movie !

Author: lailousa dejala from United States
28 January 2006

I think this movie was excellent...i really enjoyed watching it and the plot was extraordinary....this is a must see thriller...:)Demi Moore always gives it her best. She is an inspiring actress. This movie had me surprised towards the end........but i wont say how u will have to see it to find out.....This is something different for her....she usually plays a role in a movie as a seductive person,but here she played as a loving,committed,,stressful mother who feels like she is guilty for the death of her son. Like I have mentioned before, this is a must see thriller....it has many turns and parts in it that really scared me.

terrific tale/beautiful music

Author: jmlocke from United States
30 January 2006

Besides telling a terrific tale, Half Light has beautiful music - I see we have a petition going for the soundtrack, GREAT! Until that gets released, enjoy similar music by Arlene Faith - check it out at: www.woodenstonemusic.com I just purchased two of her cds, Spirit of the Celtic Violin and River of Dreams. It's hard to find this type of music without singing and these are treasures! Demi Moore's acting ability in this movie really came through - I hope she pursues more movies along this line and reactivates her career! In a rare move, I've recommended Half Light to all my friends and family and have yet to hear someone say they didn't enjoy it!

Perfect stormy night movie for lovers of the sea

Author: ApolloBoy109 from United States
12 April 2006

I just finished remodeling my back lanai to watch the Florida skies. I did it in a nautical theme including a mural of a lighthouse in stormy weather. I thought this movie, which boosts a beautiful lighthouse in Scotland, would be the perfect way to inaugurate the new room, And I was so right.

It was perfect. The movie has elements of mystery, romance and the supernatural. From a murder in the past to a mystery in the present, a dead child, a mystery writer trying to recover -- to a handsome, no, sexy lighthouse keeper and strange village folks nestled away in a small Scottish fishing village on the coast of the North Sea -- this movie was wonderful to watch.

I don't understand why it wasn't at the movies when crappier movies are released weekly. Demi Moore reminds us she is quite the actress and Hans Matheson is about as dreamy as dreamy gets. The rest of the cast is flawless and the writer earns his stripes by toying with us. You never really know what's going until all is revealed.

All in all, folks, what we have here is a throw back to the days of Gothic romance, dark shadows and Wuthering Heights with a killer twist ending.

Rent it with your lover, sit back and be entertained.

Page 1 of 12:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]