IMDb > "Medium" (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Medium"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Medium" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 9:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]

Some people do not realize that this show is based about a real life woman.

Author: mistylynnb from Hopkinsville, Kentucky
15 February 2005

What some people do not realize about medium is that it is also loosely based on a real life woman. She does this exact kind of work in her hometown for local law enforcement. Even if the premise is not original, the writing and acting of the show could not be better. Medium is a delight to watch. Ms. Arquette who portrays her character with such passion was and excellent choice for this role. I find myself waiting for each Monday to come around just to see what she will dream next. I truly hope this show hangs around for many seasons. It is an excellent show which I hope will continue to fascinate and entrance our minds.

Successful Combination of Sci-Fi, Crime and Family Drama

Author: Maurene from Maryland, USA
4 February 2005

I haven't been this enthusiastic about a TV show for awhile. The actors are top notch and the stories interesting. In my opinion, the core of the show is not the cases the main character (Allison) investigates or even her psychic abilities. Rather, its how her abilities affect her relationships with others (especially her husband). So far my favorite episode has been "A Couple of Choices" but I can't explain why. I love how the husband and children are portrayed. I have a small crush on the husband (Joe) and the kids argue with each other just like normal kids. (I got a real kick hearing the eldest daughter tattle that the younger one hadn't brushed her teeth - rather she just got the toothbrush wet.) Allison is so down to earth that she is easy to related to.

So few crime or science fiction shows effectively incorporate family drama. Medium is a refreshing change!

Great first episode

Author: Carol Stephens from Northern California
5 January 2005

I was very impressed by the pilot. It quickly set up how this woman got into helping solve crimes. We did not have to slog though a long set-up, because it got quickly to the action.

I liked seeing her husband and daughters. Her husband was portrayed as a very supportive man. I already care about how she will handle this atypical job and be with her family. Will she have to do a lot of traveling, being away from home?

She is a strong character. I liked how she stood up to the sheriff (or police chief, whomever). And with moments like "Tell him you know about the kiss." we see that she is also very perceptive with a quick mind.

In spite of her strengths, she also showed a natural reaction to being odd/different. I also appreciated her frustration when she felt that what she was trying to do was for nothing.

This episode had good acting, drama, suspense, humor. And it wasn't creepy. I'm really looking forward to future episodes.

I'm looking forward to the next episode

Author: glhaile from Texas
5 January 2005

My wife and I both thought the initial episode of this series was very entertaining. The premise of the show is certainly thought provoking and the hour passed by faster than my remote can skip over any "Reality" show I stumble onto. I thought it well written and acted, with some memorable dialogue. The Texas Rangers even sounded Texan, Though I doubt they travel in a pack, that scene was one of several visual attention grabbers. Horatio over on CBS will have to solve his crimes without my assistance as long as Patricia Arquette and all involved keep up the good work in that competing time slot. The sequencing of the story line kept us interested in the plot. I predict and hope it'll stick around. We will certainly watch it this Thursday evening

Most believable paranormal show on Television

Author: roidessinges from United States
9 March 2005

This show is great. The main character is very believable as an ordinary housewife with an extraordinary gift. The best ting about the show is the writing; the heroine is not infallible, neither is her husband. The two kids are also incredible. Neither of them is "precious" or precocious, they act like ordinary girls, and the little one is downright goofy, which makes here especially charming.

I have no idea why this show airs in the last hour of prime time, when there's very little to offend anyone. It's nowhere near as putridly disgustingly gory as any of the CSI shows which air in the middle time-slot. (Which I also love, but not for the gore)

"Medium" allows for an escape - not an explanation

Author: DrGreenWolf from United States
22 February 2005

I have to disagree with anyone who says this show is "corny," "unbelievable," or glamorizes a "supernatural talent." The essence of good fiction does promote the suspension of disbelief to the point in which the characters, events, and plot are believable. If you watch the show for realistic events, true plots and characters, then, yes, this show will be a disappointment. If, however, you wish to escape the constant bombardment of "reality TV," this show is an excellent diversion.

The characters, the plots, the dialog, and the premise itself may not be all that believable, but neither were "Baywatch," "Melrose Place," or "Dukes of Hazzard." And look how long they lasted! Those who have just one hour to try this show, try keeping an open mind to the talent of the actors and watch for the sake of watching, not scientific evidence.

Never Miss It!

Author: karatemom from Canada
25 February 2005

I really enjoy this show. The premise is great. The paranormal aspect is handled well, and I love the interplay between the husband and wife. For me, it's a never-miss-it show, and I don't say that for too many shows. Good job! My husband had one issue with a legal aspect, but he's a lawyer so that's expected. The show I really enjoyed was the one with the husband's friend at work. I also enjoyed the show where one of their daughters made a friend at school. It was also very touching. The emotional growth of the characters is well done. One has to feel sorry for the husband, right? :-) He can't get away with anything. I also like the way they have returning characters.

it's not as far fetched as the premise may seem

Author: paulsandberg from United States
23 March 2005

I've known women who have had premonitions - one even gets weird twinklings where she blurts out things while watching the news - and then whatever info she states comes out to be true.

So this show really works for me. It could have easily gone for some kind of sensationalism and quickly sunk to the bottom, but the writers have decided to reach for something more meaningful by creating an everyday household trying to deal with an unique situation. In doing so they have made the fantastic seem much more plausible and have given the show a sturdy foundation.

If you are looking for refreshingly crisp dialogue and some excellent acting within a show that makes you think, then please give Medium a try. It's so much better than all those so called "reality" shows, or the posturing in such shows as CSI where the writers cover up their lack of skill by having the stars look meaningfully into the camera.

It's funny how a show that many think has an outlandish premise can actually come off as being so much more realistic.

entertaining

Author: blanche-2 from United States
5 March 2005

Since the success of "Sixth Sense," many characters in the movies and on television have been seeing dead people. Allison, a law student with a husband and three kids, is one of them. This series is based on a real-life, gifted medium. She is portrayed by Patricia Arquette. Having seen the real Allison Dubois and heard her speak, this is great casting.

The episodes I've seen thus far have been entertaining, refreshing, intriguing, and a nice break from the usual fare on network television, i.e., bachelors, survivors, bachelorettes, and makeover victims. Arquette's performance is understated, that of a likable character with an offbeat, supportive husband, cute kids, and a bizarre relationship with the spirit world. The guest cast tends towards the quirky, making them interesting. Allison's visions are more focused than the rather far-fetched images the young woman gets on "Missing," probably because Allison is not only seeing, but talking to, dead people.

Up to date version of "Seeing Things" (1981)

Author: phbalanced
26 January 2005

Medium reminds me a lot of an old CBC series from 1981 called "Seeing Things". Both Louis Ciccone and Medium's Allison DuBois have visions and the ability to look beyond obvious clues and are instrumental in police investigations. Allison has a supportive family unit and is an ordinary mother who tries to balance family life with her part time work for the police. The addition of recurring character Det. Lee Scanlon should prove interesting in future episodes, as Allison & Scanlon did not have an amiable first meeting. And the latest episode titled "Night Of The Wolf" also introduces Allison's youngest daughter as also having a special gift of being able to see dead people. Looking good so far, this series has a good though not original premise. If you're familiar with Seeing Things and also enjoyed the three season series "Millenium" starring Lance Henrickson, give Medium a chance.

Page 1 of 9:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]