IMDb > "House M.D." (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"House M.D."
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"House M.D." More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 44: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

Clever!!

Author: Akhil Gautam from India
5 October 2013

This show is so great and creative that it makes you like a man who is arrogant, cocky, careless and hates everyone but him. Meet Dr. House a really talented doctor and an addict.

This is a drama focusing on one unique hospital case in every episode plus how it affects their personal lives in the background. Show is clever and many times made me think about my life( which BTW every smart TV show does).

Characters are well played, specially Hugh Laurie, handled the role of House quite well. I couldn't ask for more.

The only drawback I could come up with was that this show shows blood and surgery and some really nasty scenes. If you are OK with that. This is a show for you. Even if you are not Give it a try. May be its craziness makes you ignore its nastiness.

Simply the greatest TV show of all time

Author: aryafsharm from Turkey
2 December 2012

I grew up with House, and I can say with certainty, that it played a huge role in shaping my character. I was only 14 when it came on air. At first, I didn't like it, nor did I understand why would anyone but a doctor enjoy it. But at my mother's recommendation, I gave it a second shot and 3 episodes in, I fell in love. To this day, I go back and re-watch it and learn new things all the time.

House is the perfect TV show. It surpasses genre and classification. Elements of Comedy, Drama and even Thriller combine in a show that is funny, exciting, sad, and philosophical at the same time. It's a show you can laugh to, eat popcorn to, or really learn something from.

Many critics have drawn comparisons between House and Sherlock Holmes. From the similarities in their names (House & Wilson, Holmes & Watson) to their characters (House does drugs to do his job better, House is also a brilliant judge of character, House can also observe and deduce extraordinary things from a mere glance, House also likes to experiment on himself, Wilson is his moral compass, Wilson admires his genius but also understands his misery, etc.) to little references that the writers drop themselves (House also lives in apartment 221B), This show is sure to find its way to the heart of any Sherlock Holmes fan.

On the medical front, this show never fails to amaze even strangers to medicine. House and his diagnostic team deal with increasingly special cases that are apparently largely real-life. As they try to figure out a diagnosis, they also have to figure out the patients themselves. This is a big source of psychology for those interested. House has impeccable skill when it comes to reading people and telling if they are lying. Pay attention and you can Learn and use these in real life.

On the non-medical front, the show explores the relationships between a group of interesting characters, and sheds light on how people behave behind their masks. In its eight-season run of nearly 200 episodes, there is little subject matter that the show doesn't discuss. The story-lines are gripping and peak toward the end of each season. Unlike most TV shows, the writers of House are never afraid to write not-so-happy endings to their story arcs. An example of this fearlessness can be seen when Kal Penn, who joined the main cast in season 4 as Dr. Kutner, had to leave the show to go work for the Obama Administration. Whereas most shows would simply write him off by having him quit, or move elsewhere, the writers had his character commit suicide.

At the center of the show, Hugh Laurie does a perfect job at bringing to life the anti-hero of the show, Dr. Gregory House. A genius in medicine, House is often portrayed as a miserable anti-social introvert, and at other times, as a manipulative unethical jerk with little concern or regard for rules or the humanity of medicine. Yet, all his rule-breaking leads to countless lives saved, often times in a way that wasn't possible if he had done it by the book. House constantly plays jump-rope with the line between right and wrong, and the show has you examine your values and morals and judgments regarding what's right and what's wrong. As House so cleverly puts it "Would you rather have a doctor that holds your hand while you die? Or a doctor who ignores you while you get better?"

The fact that such an odd character has the main role in this show, in itself, makes this a unique show, and a daring one.

Thanks to an all-star cast, both the main stars and the guests, a unique premise, interesting medical cases, great direction, and a decent ending, House never ceases to amaze from the pilot to the finale. If you like being challenged philosophically and analytically, this show will be your fix.

"Excellent."

Author: fura kuri from Germany
29 May 2011

A word of caution. Before you visit Princeton Plainsborough, be aware that the doctor might not treat you with kindness.

He is no Brad Pitt. He can only walk with a crutch. He is frustrated and in constant pain. He's a drug addict. He's a genius and still wrong so many times. His name is House, and he has only got one friend in the world. He is a brilliant doctor, and a pathetic human being. It takes a while to realise that a lot of his sarcasm and brutal honesty is meant kindly.

Then there is his team: sympathetic and a little more shallow, but still interesting characters, each one with a story. Their boss, House, frequently ridicules them and treats them rather horribly, but they appreciate him for the challenges he provides, and because they actually have the chance to become better doctors while with him.

The true strength of the show lies in the writing. Hysterically funny at one time, the next scene has you in tears without a warning. The actors cannot be praised enough - especially Hugh Laurie, of course, who has been limping and adopting an accent for the show for seven years now. The medical cases are apparently well researched and often come with a little (or major) twist. The show also has no problem to sometimes laugh at itself - watch out for medical soap opera within the series!

"Everybody lies" is a postulate of the show, and you quickly learn not to trust anything you hear in the first 30 minutes. The writing is rather underrated; often, there are subtle links (or parallels) between the case of the week and personal issues of the cast. The formulas that work are suddenly overthrown before you can complain about a hint of boredom. Watch "House's Head" and "Wilson's Heart" for a true masterpiece that s t i l l blows you away when you have already heard the outcome.

In short, this show has made some bold decisions and continues renewing itself without becoming shallow. It draws you in and takes you for a furious roller-coaster ride. And they are not finished yet: the limping doctor is going to return for an eighth installment, so do not pass this up. It deserves all the praise it gets.

A misanthrope's point of view

Author: calvinnme from United States
19 May 2012

I "get" House, and not just because I too am a misanthrope of sorts with a chronic condition that cannot be cured. This show was sold to Fox as a "Medical Law and Order" with the network being told that the cases not the cast would be the focus, and I think it would have been a failure had there been truth in advertising. The interesting thing about this show are the relationships and in particular, Hugh Laurie as Greg House M.D., a genius at diagnostic medicine that saves lives but does not like people.

And why should he? He develops an infarction in his leg, is misdiagnosed until it becomes so serious his leg may have to be amputated, clearly expresses his wishes to take a medical path that will mean either his death or complete recovery THEN has the hospital administrator conspire with his girlfriend at the time, who has his medical directive powers, to come up with an intermediate solution while House is unconscious. House keeps his leg, but will have deep chronic pain in that leg for the rest of his life plus the leg is now virtually useless. This is all told in flashback in the first season.

So for eight seasons House's friends and colleagues chastise him for not embracing his friends. Why should he? If he had been friendless at the time of his infarction, nobody would have meddled in his medical decision about his own body. His friends betrayed his wishes and left him in this state, pushing him away when he doesn't meet their high standards of behavior - standards of behavior that are fine for someone who isn't constantly in pain with a deep justified sense of betrayal.

Hypochondriacs - you have nothing to fear here. The medical cases are so bizarre and such one-in-a-million kinds of things that you have a better chance of winning the lottery than getting the diseases that House's patients get. Nobody House treats has breast cancer or Lyme disease or Parkinson's or any other highly probable illness.

Let me finally say just one thing about season seven, where most people think House jumped the shark in the action he took in the last episode of season seven. You don't start a love affair with someone who has grown comfortable in their isolation, tell him that you don't want him to change and tell him you think he is "an amazing man" just as he is, give him a big taste of of happiness and belonging and even family for perhaps the first time in his life, only to rip it away because of one isolated case of failure that should have been predictable. In other words you break your word and change the rules - you really did want change - and if you do these things, to quote House, "you really are an idiot" if you expect anything but an eventual emotional explosion.

House is the best thing on TV today, I highly recommend it for the social and unsocial viewer alike - it has something for everyone.

Farewell Dear House

Author: Ticky 88 from Serbia
16 May 2012

There are three aspects of House which I admire.

The writing cast. Hugh Laurie. And Robert Sean Leonard.

The show looks at life from a critical standpoint. It refuses easy solutions just because they give the satisfaction of a purposeful world. As its main character it has a deeply conflicted, yet intellectually brilliant man, who is not straightforwardly depicted, but remains inscrutable to a certain point throughout the seasons. It provides a setting where it is not unlikely for crucial, ontological questions to pop up on a daily basis, and it takes every advantage to tackle life from multiple perspectives. It has portrayed a variety of main characters since it first appeared on air, and though not all have given satisfactory performances, the dilemmas of their relationships were nevertheless made real.

I am sorry to see House go. But it had one hell of a ride.

What the f*** happened?

Author: from Netherlands
25 January 2011

This used to be one of my favorite series. House being the screwed up doctor, who is struggling with life and himself, addicted, in pain, but brilliant. This made him a very interesting character. This reached the peak in the end of season 5, where he goes insane in a 'cool' way and ends up in a mental institution. The series went very grim that season, and ended up even more grim and catching, almost striking. It feels like the natural consequence of how he lives and handles his emotions, feeding it back to the reason why we 'normal' people live our lives as we do.

That is where the series should have stopped. Because after that, House simply gets better (although the episodes playing inside the institution are still quite good). During season 6, House is still quite the same but without the vicodin, but when he grows into a relationship with Cuddy in season 7, he basically becomes normal. Just a normal doctor, who is happy, has no problems, and is good at his job.

How do the writers expect me to find that normal doctor interesting? All that happens now are things that have been happening on side-tracks the whole series, the same jokes. The talks with Wilson that used to be serious and confronting and funny are now about Cuddy's child and and they added some little 'brilliant' girl that does nothing but talk about morality, to a very childish and annoyingly overdone level.

As I said, this used to be my favorite series, but I don't think I'm going to watch another episode. House has lost it.

An intelligent masterpiece. outstanding

Author: emanuel_boni from Portugal
13 May 2009

An intelligent and a outstanding TV show. Incredible directed, especially by Greg Yates (house's head) that bring a reviling life and fresh air to the TV.And the eternal Hugh Laurie that make the main character a cult mark of the TV, presenting us with a fantastic interpretation. This is the show that i don't wanna to end. using the style walk and talk, the creators give the show more realistic emotions and keeping the action on going. Creatores Bryan Singer and David Shore can look at them selves as winners, as they probably concept's the biggest score of American television, by carrying on one curmudgeonly character that make so much fans all over the globe. A TV show that will make our mind blow away. A must see.

That is it

Author: tiger86-2 from Bulgaria
16 April 2009

The greatest TV show ever made. Don't you believe me? Just see it. The greatest TV show ever made. I thought I would never write that. Especially about a medical show. But... That is it. Why do I think so? I will try to explain.

First, it is the idea. I know, it is not very realistic but who needs realism actually? Let me tell you what do I think about the idea. I think they wanted to make a medical show that is not exactly a medical show. "House M.D." is more like a crime show where "the criminal" is not a man or a woman but the disease they are trying to cure. This is not trying to be "ER" and that is good. I needed something different and I got it. How can I not be glad? Second, there are the characters. Especially House. He is GREAT. Really. I don't think it is possible for that kind of a doctor to even exist but he is great. A drug addicted genius who doesn't care about his patients but for their illnesses. A doctor who would do anything to cure the disease even if he has to destroy his patient's personal life. A doctor who loves the mystery of being a doctor. Yet sometimes you see him being a real human being with all of his feelings and desires. Sometimes he shows he cares about the patients. Great, I told you. And Hugh Laurie does a great job portraying him. Honestly I had never seen such a good acting in a TV show before. Of course there are the other characters. While their function is most of the time to be puppets in the hands of House all of them have a personality. Cuddy is great, so is Wilson, and so are the other doctors. I didn't like Cameron, though, but the way House treats her is...

Well, that is from me. Just see the show.

Please DO NOT COMPARE - May contain Spoilers..

Author: rricker159
14 January 2009

This show cannot be compared to E.R. which is frivolous and trite. House is more thought provoking and in-depth with the real aspect of medicine, showing that you don't just get to yell and scream out a bunch of acronyms in an E. D. and "Tadah" either save, kill or run them up to the O. R. (as is such silliness in E.R.)... I give House an 8, just due to some outrageousness such as a known opiate addicted doctor would obviously be suspended and have had to go to rehab or more likely had their license revoked (plus criminal charges as well, blah blah blah..). Also sometimes the outcome is Too Grande to be true 'YET it is a TV series so can't be all too real all the time. To compare with E.R. is just silly due to the painfully over ran series and the soap-ish nature. Well, House M.D. is just a much better and "thought provoking" series; The writers do not bore (compared to ER) with tedious who's doing who and the most OUTLANDISH soap crap to ever to be called a serious drama, I will say the first few ER years were not as bad and quite entraining.

best medical mystery show since Quincy M.E.

Author: siggy_4844 from United States
19 December 2008

Here we are with House M.D. in it's 4th year and the show is still going strong. I love medical dramas and like most people I also like a good mystery. House M.D. combines both in a very interesting way. Instead of having the lead character of the show be a very handsome and likable guy who is compassionate with his patients you have the exact opposite. Hugh Laurie's Greg House is a scruffy-looking, sarcastic character with a bum leg that hurts him all the time. The constant pain is making him pop vicodin pills as if they were m&m's and he makes no effort to hide his addiction to the painkiller meds, not even infront of patients. Sometimes he even cheats to get his hands on some. Yet despite his seeming unprofessionalism he's somehow the most brilliant diagnostician in the entire hospital. The viewer ends up with a love-hate relationship for the guy.

The supporting cast is also excellent and lends variety to the show with the diversity of characters. You have the very compassionate oncologist Dr. James Wilson (played by "Swing Kids" star Robert Sean Leonard) who deals with cancer patients all the time and is House's best if not only friend. Dean of medicine Dr. Lisa Cuddy appears to be an inadequate doctor but excellent boss who is often finding herself in the position of having to defend House's actions. Then there is African-American neurologist Eric Foreman who is sometimes a bit stereotyped as having come from the hood but makes a great contribution to House's think-tank team and favorite person for House to pick on. Dr. Allison Cameron, the sex-kitten of the show, is not all that likable in my opinion. I find her constant arguing with House about ethics annoying. She will go against House's directives even if the "right thing to do" will end up costing the patient his or her life. Dr. Robert Chase, the young, easy on the eyes Aussie doctor seems to be doing most of the labwork and going to patients' houses to check for possible causes for the patient's illness (reminds me of the show Medical Investigation). Speaking of Medical Investigation, I liked that show, but not nearly as much as I like House. The lead character in Medical Investigation was a very unappealing character and the rest of the cast forgettable. For some reason what didn't work for Medical Investigation works with House. Maybe the show wouldn't have been cancelled if an actor of Hugh Laurie's caliber had been in the lead role.

I used to watch E.R. for a few seasons but lost interest after Paul McCrane's character of Dr. Robert Romano was killed off. Thereafter the show had lost it's appeal to me. I liked Dr. Romano, he was sort of a precursor to Dr. House with his no-nonsense attitude and biting sarcasm - another guy you loved to hate. As said before, I like medical shows and also mysteries and I think House M.D. combines this very well. The show reminds me a lot of the 70s Quincy M.E. starring Jack Klugman. Both characters aren't physically attractive and go against the rules quite often if the end result justifies the means. Both characters get in trouble with their bosses a lot. What do a doctor of diagnostic medicine and a coroner have in common? They both search for clues to find out what happened to a person. The only difference is that House's patients are still alive and he tries to find a cure before time runs out.

In my honest opinion House M.D. is the best medical mystery show since Quincy M.E and I look forward to every new episode. I hope the show sticks around for as long as E.R.