IMDb > "House M.D." (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"House M.D."
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings

"House M.D." More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 46: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Hugh Laurie surprised me

Author: walsh-22 from United Kingdom
20 April 2007

I have to say Hugh Laurie as Dr. Gregory House is a revelation. I have seen him in programmes such as Jeeves and Wooster and Blackadder where he played a upper class twit who had a whinny voice. I never thought he could be a sex symbol but he proves me wrong here. He shows in this series that there is more to him then comedy and that he can actually act. His accent is brilliant and maybe some Americans don't feel that but they shouldn't be quick to point the finger, let's face it, the American actors have done some bad English accents in their time, Dick Van Dyke, need I say more. He plays an antisocial doctor who is a departure from other shows where he doesn't have a good bed side manner and only cares about solving the medical conditions and not so much helping his patients. He says what he likes and at times can go over the line. He is definitely the anti-hero but you can't help being drawn to him.

When I first heard that Jesse Spencer was going to be in it, I thought it would be a disaster as I have seen him in Neighbours and didn't think much of his acting but again he has surprised me by how good he is.

I like the fact that the programme does a different take on investigation shows, this time the detectives are the doctors who have to look at the body and what has happened to find out the right reason for the illness so they can cure the patients. The visual aids help me understand at times as the medical speak can go over my head.

The cast help to make the series a joy to watch. It is funny at times to seethe way House treats his friend Dr. James Wilson (Robert Sean Leonard) and his boss Dr. Lisa Cuddy (Lisa Edelstein) as he always seems to plow over them at times to get what he wants. I do love the character of Dr. Allison Cameron but she can see things black and white and no grey in-between which sometimes gets on my nerves. Omar Epps as Dr. Eric Foreman is the one that is like House in some ways but in others, he has his own view and is a very strong character who isn't afraid to battle with his boss if he thinks he is wrong.

This show is original and fresher than any other of the medical dramas on television and it is interesting to see a different side to medicine, not just treating people in accidents but people who have life-threatening illnesses and seeing how the doctors explores the options of each symptom to find out the true cause of the illness.

Breathtaking ! Amazing ! Hugh Laurie !

Author: Catalin H from Romania
27 February 2008

When I started watching House M.D., i thought it was just another doctors movie. Then it hit me ! I really mean, it hit me! I saw a crippled doctor, wearing no doctor's robe, walking along a crowded corridor, using his cane as a weapon, complaining about some case with the line that made me stick to this show up to it's fourth season (and hoping for more): "Cancer, she's gonna die, boring!". I was bewildered.

Then I saw another episode, and another, and I couldn't stop watching. Just for Hugh Laurie I wish this show never ends. The humor, the irony, the sarcasm, the crew, the stories, the cases, the episodes, EVERYTHING is entertaining, it's like you get glued to your seat and you keep watching, absorbing every little word he says, admiring every joke that he makes.

And you know what keeps me coming back for more? The fact that he is unpredictable, it is just impossible to know what he is about to say, what he is about to do, to think. Don't expect a show with doctors that scream "scalpel", "clear the room", and with a lot of blood. It is as much of a story about the cases as it is about the characters. If you are a person who loves the action, the adventure of the discovery, the thrill of the puzzle, or if you are a person who hates doctor shows but has an excellent sense of humor (although just about everybody can laugh when House responds to "You owe me some clinic hours" with "And you owe me a lap dance") you are the one this show is designed for.

They are amazing, both the character and the actor. Hugh Laurie, you have my entire respect !

General Stuff

Author: hdemaio from United States
10 February 2005

1. To see just how amazing Hugh Laurie's performance is in House check him out as the hopeless twits in Jeeves and Wooster or Blackadder. Soooo different. That is some transition. 2. The acting and dialog on House MD are superb but the basic premise is going to wear out very rapidly. More interpersonal activity among the team and Drs. Cuddy and Wilson and less of the formula "clinic" and MRI-Injections-chalk board-house search-etc. The plots are becoming too predictable already. Suggestions:send House to raise hell with the Center for Disease Control or to other institutions to widen the interplay. 3. Does every patient have to have a violent seizure? You can almost set your watch by the bed shaking. 4. Please keep this show alive even if they can't save all the patients.

It's Lupus!

Author: NerdyNinja49 from USA
2 January 2015

Normally when I watch a series, I mildly enjoy it and wander through the series mindlessly, particularly with sitcoms. On very rare occasions, a show will pop up that I enjoy the main actor so much I follow him around for a couple years. This happened with House.

Hugh Laurie plays the part so perfectly and does this incredible thing where you absolutely hate him and love him at the same time. You want him to be happy, but you also can't help but feel like he deserves some of the things he goes through.

The thing that impressed me the most about House is the fact that House stays House from the first episode of season one to the last one of season eight. His personality doesn't waiver for one second, and that's a feat in and of itself.

While all of the medical jargon wasn't necessarily accurate and they had a habit of people coughing up blood in almost every episode, I did find it far more fascinating than any of the crime dramas that pop up. That might just be my personal opinion. It did get old the last couple of seasons though. "It's lupus!"

Probably the best part of the whole show was House and Wilson's relationship. All of my favorite moments surround their crazy shenanigans. Like the chickens. Ah, the chickens...

The worst part is when it's over. You are depressed for a few days. You know a show is good when it does that to you. I wholeheartedly recommend you go watch House.

If you find medicine interesting you go with House or Scrubs

Author: thommy741 from Germany
28 April 2014

So here's the deal: While I know that the main gripe some people tend to have with this series is the formula that never seems to change (wrong diagnosis over and over until House saves the day) I never actually got bored. Luckily for the viewer there is so much going on in each episode and most of it really made me have a great time. I laugh at some of House's clever schemes and even cry sometimes (most of the time because of some drama-plot-twist or because someone of the main cast "dies" on screen). If you want a more comedic approach to medicine check out Scrubs which is hilarious and - thanks god - doesn't rely on background-laughter. If you want to learn some more about exotic diseases and feel "clever" (which you'll do since you kinda feel like part of the team getting all the inside information) you go with House (wath Scrubs anyways!). I'm often stunned at how far this show has come until it finally ended (with a really worthy final) and I'm happy I stayed with House 'till the end (I'm on my second run 3-4 years after I've watched the first episode for the first time).

If you hate doctors and medicine, this show won't change your opinion (it may even make things worse). But IF this kind of hospital drama is your thing, you will not find a better series out there.

Finally...innovation

Author: lambiepie-2 from Los Angeles, CA
28 February 2006

This is the kind of program that will have two types of audiences: those that are totally upset that nothing really sexual, pretty or soapy is going on here, and those who like a good medical drama that focuses on the medicine which isn't too sexy, pretty or soapy. I'm with the latter group.

And what I like the best? The up and down put-off attitude of this doctor who is not perfect in any way, very human and sadly, very brilliant. So why is he in a "training hospital"? Ah, there is the beauty of this series.

This isn't your glossy, over set television fare. It's bare, it focuses on the medical, and yes it uses many of today's TV technical advances to portray them.

The central doctor in this series, Dr. House, has a few charges who are also smart, young and cocky. This is good because they will learn much from their assigned mentor who is flawed, moody and not very sociable - but a medical genius - and how hard it is to unlock that information so these doctors in training can learn. And the Administration. There's nothing like the hospital administration (business) to interfere with the medicine..and the egos.

I love the failure rate given to many in this series: patients as well as doctors. There are successes, but the failure rate is important as well - because not everything in the medical profession has a happy ending in 60 minutes..and not just because someone has to expire, but because of decisions, negligence, prejudice and much more.

A hard show for some, but a true gem above the alternatives out there.

in response to larajane's comment about Hugh Laurie's accent

Author: melszigg from Haddonfield, NJ
18 January 2006

Having lived most all of my life in New Jersey, I think Hugh Laurie comes very close to the local dialect. People who are not from New Jersey are under the misconception that people from New Jersey all speak like Tony Soprano, which is far from the truth. In fact, depending on the region and education, the New Jersey accent is very flat, almost Midwestern. He has it down. I have been a fan of his since he was doing the Blackadder series, and knowing that he is British, I am amazed that I don't detect a trace of his native tongue. As an added note, he is finally sexy to me. Having played comedic upper-class twits for much of his career, his sex appeal was lacking, but now, wow! I guess it took affecting an American accent, not shaving and behaving like jerk for me to see how very sexy the man is. Which may say something about me, but so be it. Hugh Laurie is fabulous.

Hot House

Author: rockie1949 from United States
20 September 2005

"House, M.D." is written with exquisite humor, heart and conscience. While the entire cast is very enjoyable to watch, Hugh Laurie is perfection, delivering an awesome multidimensional performance each week. Dr. House is a character one hates to love, but does despite best intentions, thanks to Mr. Laurie's performance. One hopes the writing continues to be top drawer. Thinking back, "Mash", also a quality medically inclined program, needed more than a season to gather a viewer base large enough to insure continuation. "House, M.D." seems to have gotten off to a better start, which is gratifying, but leaves one suspicious. Good television, good entertainment, does not necessarily require political correctness, which is in short supply in Dr. House's world. Hopefully the network will keep their paws off for at least another season or two. Good laughs seem to be at a premium these days. (I am, however, grateful that my physician doesn't exhibit the same crusty exterior as Dr. House.)

where do they get the plots for House?

Author: (jupersdupers) from United States
16 February 2005

They must have gotten last night's House plot from some obscure article in a medical journal. Napthalene poisoning from termites? Wow.

I loved it when House coughed and spit in the OR to break the sterile field and canceled the liver transplant. The way House's little Vicodin problem was only half-resolved was interesting, too. It's refreshing that the show's writers don't feel compelled to sew up all the loose ends neatly at the end.

This series far surpasses E.R., which was decent for about one or two seasons and then descended into maudlin soap opera.

When the characters in a medical drama start getting the disease-of-the-week themselves or their personal lives become the main plot line, the show is over. I hope House doesn't drift in that direction.

I love House

Author: Nicole Fry from United States
25 May 2012

I have literally watched this show since the Pilot episode in '04. I grew up on this show. From 8 to 16, I feel like I've loved House since the beginning and I will never stop loving that character. Or Hugh Laurie, for that matter. I even told my mum, when I was 9, that if I ever got sick, she had to take me to House. I can remember every episode very vividly. And before the Swan Song, I was always curious about how they did all this medical stuff on these people. It seemed freaky. But, thank you House, for letting me grow up watchign you. I feel like you are one of the most real characters on television. Nobody is nice all the time, and nobody is perfect. That is what you represent to me. Reality. And for all other House fans out there, I think we all agree: This show will be missed <333

-Nicole