IMDb > Tekken (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 11:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Ouch.

Author: Haplo-9 from United Kingdom
7 August 2010

Okay just finished watching this and wow is it bad. I could sit here and kick the heck out've it for not being faithful to the game, which hooo boy it isn't, but then all I'll get is a bunch of people going "It's Tekken The Movie, NOT Tekken The Game!".

So I'll review it as a simple action movie. The plot was thin, the character motivations were practically nil and the fight scenes were shot with far too many cuts. The acting ranged from over the top to poor.

Interestingly for a movie that did not in any way respect the storyline of the game, it went out of it's way to include homages to it. Hell entire characters were in it for no more than that. Anna Williams didn't have a fight or indeed even a line! She existed for no other reason to name drop and to wander about in her underwear. While we're on the subject of the Williams sister's what the heck is wrong with Nina's face?!? I have no idea if this is true, but it looks like it's been constructed in the operating theatre, apologies if it wasn't, but DAMN.

They also managed to incorrectly spell Cung Le's name in the credits.

Not for Tekken fans as they'll get angry, not for action movie fans as they'll get bored.

Not Bad for what it's worth

Author: scaryoutcome1 from United Kingdom
4 August 2010

Okay, First thing's first.. I am only writing a review on this Film because the last guy who did a review has seriously done my head in, and clearly doesn't know what he is talking about, he says that this film was an awful and boring film.. however i am curious as to what he is comparing it to.

Now on to the film, I at first wasn't too sure about watching this and had no high hopes as there has been little advertisement on this film and really isn't as big of a production as the likes of Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter. The Acting wasn't too great, However the fight scenes make up for that as when the fighting kicks in you completely forget about the Acting. The film is highly Watchable and good entertainment.

I Personally would of given it a 7 if there was more back story on each individual character, and there was more original cast.. example.. why is raven in it and not hwoarang grrr

However the film in my opinion is far better than street fighter the legend of chun-li and not as good as MK.. but it's exactly like the game's which is good.

Actually not that bad

Author: maik-buetefuer from Germany
12 August 2010

I was surprised positively. Yes, it's a video game adaption and from what I can tell it doesn't stick too much too it story wise, but for me it was quite entertaining. It's stupid, but not yet on a level where you want to face palm yourself all the time. It's much more serious than DOA and I still like that one better, but that's mostly because of its all-out- trash-appeal and because the fight choreography is a million times better. In Tekken many fights look like training exercises, many cuts can't hide, that you're not watching one fight, but many separate actions. Plus, there are some shots that are supposed to look dramatic or cool, but the just look badly done.

But all in all, it's mildly entertaining, it does look more expensive than it was, the cos-play-factor is bearable and some ideas in the fights are nice to see. I would never buy it, but for rent it's entertaining 90 minutes of mindless fun.

Don't understand the dislike

Author: lee_shenlong10 from United States
15 November 2010

Look I understand Video Game movies have a stigma about them but to hate on a movie due to the lack of authenticity you should look again. The writers of this movie did the best they could to pick out the story of Tekken. What people do not understand is when a movie is made they can take liberties with the story because it is "Based" on characters not carbon copies. I enjoyed this film from beginning to end, some of the writing was bad and some of the actors could have been better(Movies now a days have the same issue), but you have to realize most of the actors in this film are actual MMA and martial artists. I liked how they changed things around to make sense of it all, especially for those who will be fresh to the story of Tekken. The fighting was top notch, Jin was likable, you really felt like he was an ordinary Joe. I loved the fact that the film was left open (watch after the credits). This movie to me has a wonderful replay value almost like "Kickboxer" on crack. All you fans need to get your heads out of your A$$ and enjoy the movie for what it is. If you like Tournament, Fighting or even a nice action flick this one is for you.

Tekken didn't blow me away, but it's much better than I expected.

Author: lewiskendell from United States
27 September 2011

"You will fight, the world will watch, and my legacy will be written with your blood."

Tekken actually wasn't half-bad. I'm as surprised to be saying that as you probably are to be reading it.

It probably helped that the bar is so low for video game adaptations, and that the last such movie I saw was King of Fighters, which was awful to an absurd degree. Tekken can't help but look good in comparison to that. It helps that it makes at least an effort to keep some of the story and characters from the games, while offering frequent decent, if not great, fight scenes. The overuse of flashbacks gets a little old, but that's a much more minor issue than I was expecting Tekken to have.

I have to mention that Tekken looks pretty good, with some impressive sets and a slick, high-budget veneer. The main actors are adequate, with John Foo as Jin being a capable fighter and believable enough as an earnest and ultimately good-hearted guy. Kelly Overton doesn't have a lot to do other than look hot in her greatly revised role as Christie, but she's infinitely qualified in that particular area. She does okay in her action scenes, too. Ian Anthony Dale is appropriately villainous as Kazuya, and everyone else is at least acceptable.

Tekken is basically just another fighting tournament movie, placed in a video game setting. But, that's all it really needs to be. The story is simple and straight-forward, and I think that's a good thing. Keep in mind that this isn't supposed to be a 100% accurate adaptation of the game, and it'll probably entertain you.

Just another fix for Adrenalin Addicts

Author: changmoh from Malaysia
5 August 2010

IN the tradition of "Mortal Kombat", "Street Fighter" and other fighting video-game series comes "Tekken" to the big screen. If you expect a cinematic treat the likes of "The Dark Knight" or "Iron Man", you are on the wrong planet. However, if "Tekken" conjures for you visions of some handsome underdog hero fighting against grizzled hunks, and scantily-clad women attempting motions of kick-boxing and kicking-ass, you are on the right track.

And you may even be taken up by the action in "Tekken". At least for the first half of the movie.

Mainly, the movie is about a handsome and rebellious Jin Kazama (Jon Foo) who gets reluctantly drawn into the Iron Fist tournament organised by the mighty Tekken Corp. Jin learnt to fight from his mother Jun (Tamlyn Tomita) who also warns him to stay away from Tekken and the Iron Fist tourney! Of course, one thing leads to another and Jin finds himself in the highly-publicised tournament where he must fight contestants twice his size and having triple his experience. These are heavies like the 'bionic' Bryan Fury (Gary Daniels) and Russian contender Sergei Dragonov (Anton Kasabov). No prizes for guessing if Jin would tip the odds.

And oh yes, he also meets curvy femmes like Christie Monteiro (Kelly Overton) and Nina Williams (Candice Hillebrand) who provide the requisite teaser and eye candy. In the course of his battles, he learns the truth about himself!

With fast-paced action, brief dialogues and some dazzling fight sequences, one can easily get taken away by the Tekken action, even if they are ludicrous and downright incredulous. The plot is predictable, even with its twist involving Jin and chief villain Kazuya Mishima (Ian Anthony Dale) and his father Heihachi (Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa). Indeed, the narrative barely helps to sustain the action sequences - and the fighting scenes get repetitive and stale in the second half of the film.

But then with a second-rate cast of relative unknowns, it is unrealistic to expect anything more than the visual delights of "DOA". What we can be thankful for is that director Dwight Little has kept the flick within 90 minutes and does not show too many bloody and gory scenes (yes, some video-game enthusiasts may find "Tekken" tame).

VERDICT: For fighting game fans and adrenaline addicts. - by LIM CHANG MOH (limchangmoh.blogspot.com)

for a tekken fan...my two cents worth

Author: raven calle
8 August 2010

Before watching the movie I had high hopes that i'd get to see my favorite character/s in action, and true enough, it didn't deliver..unfortunately for me but then again, some parts of it were worth a fourth of the disappointment.

First off, it was a bit confusing to see characters from different timelines all come together in this particular set and it was kind of heartbreaking to even note that Hwoarang, Paul, Michelle, Julia and Xiaoyu were not even in it, considering they already included Raven, Steve and Christie plus Eddie too. The story was kind of hurriedly narrated and no follow-ups for the other fighters that were mentioned...sort of like they were just there for the sake of being in the tournament. It centered mainly on Jin and the rest appeared to be more like supporting backdrops of that sort. It would have had more spice if they at least allowed the other characters to have more than just kicking and punching roles.

On the plus side, the fight scenes, though short and fast, were satisfactory and did away with the fancy light-me-up hits and supers. It made the movie look more in tune with the real martial arts portrayed. The basic moves were there and well, the final strikes were a bit....tame, for a fight to the death effect.

All in all, it's entertaining to watch since it's Tekken after all and it's not everyday that people get to watch live action renditions of their favorite console games. My only gripe is that my favorite character was not in it, unfortunately (Ling Xiaoyu, at your service) and it would have been more interesting if there was a particular solid timeline that the story arc related to and not just put everyone in a big melting pot.

Bad! But still enjoyable

Author: farhan386 from Indonesia
29 July 2010

The legendary fighting game finally came into live action movie! As a fans of the game, I felt that I have to watch this movie despite bad reviews by other IMDb users.

They're right. The story was so awful? yes. The movie looks cheap? yes. The characters had very different personality compared to the game? yes. Nina is too horny? yes.

The fighting scenes isn't too bad, at least. Much better that that Dragon Ball Evolution. It's still enjoyable, with fast-paced background music. But the fights took place on very badly decorated arena.

Of course, there were many stupid things in this movie. When Jin was attacked inside his room, Christie Monteiro can't even break the door by force! She has to break the window with something nearby, and then open the door using handle? What a lame way! These first class fighters are supposed to have great power in their muscle.

The characters didn't perform their signature moves on the game. Where's that dragon uppercut used by the Mishimas (including Jin)? I didn't expect that the fighters will emit lightning, fire, etc from their body like that in the game, but at least please use their original moves in the game.

This movie will disappoint you, either you're fans of the game or not.

What the hell is this?

Author: Emil Berdibaev from Belgium
6 August 2010

Why such a bad grade? Let me start off by telling you that I am a real fan of the Tekken series. Don't get me wrong, the movie was *ehhh* OK, but it was not Tekken.

The story of the movie does not fit in the time line of Tekken series. There have been 6 tournaments so far & the movie does not adept any of them, but mixes up everything & makes a huge mess out off it. Everything is just misplaced. For example: Jun Kazama (Jins mother) dies in Tekken 2, Miguel Caballero Rojo joins Tekken 6 to avenge his sisters death, Sergei Dragunov entered Tekken 5 to infiltrate Mishima Zaibatsu Lab, Eddy Gordo enters Tekken 3 to find the murderer of his father, etc.

In Tekken, every character has his/her own purpose of entering the tournament. In the movie the actors didn't even know what they were doing there. NONE of the actors fitted the shoes of their characters & I'm not talking about the resemblance. I could care less about the resemblance, cause I know it's damn near impossible to look like a fictional character. For example: Kazuya Mishima is a good person, turned bad after the Devil Gene took over him, he only wanted one thing ever since: kill Heihachi Mishima & Jin Kazama in order to get full power of the Devil Gene, Codename Raven is a spy, who was ordered to infiltrate Mishima Zaibatsu, etc.

If you are interested in the story of Tekken, you don't have to play Tekken games. Just surf to: http://tekken.wikia.com/wiki/Tekken_Wiki & you'll know what Tekken is all about.

So I mainly hate this movie, cause it doesn't bring Tekken, it just brings a random action entertainment flick. It's not as if Tekken storyline is a masterpiece or anything. It's just like going to 5* restaurant, ordering a chicken & getting some KFC on your plate. Not as if KFC is bad, it's just that you're not getting, what you've ordered, thats all. You get the point?

The Dual Perspective

Author: Glimmerman218 from United States
10 August 2010

When I was a child there was 3 video games that to this day will always go down in history as my favorite games ever made. One of those games happened to be Tekken. When I first heard about this movie I was pretty psyched. To be honest, I didn't really know what to expect. To say the least I wasn't "Butt Hurt" but I wasn't happy either. From the perspective of somebody who has never played the games before, this would in fact be a good film. However, from the perspective of somebody who has played the games... I found myself saying "omg what are you guys doing this isn't how that happened" almost every 5 minutes in this film. I guess I now know how those guys who say "The book was better" feel. A lot of the Tekken characters in this movie where completely out of character compared to the character they portray in the gaming world. Like I said though, I can see how someone who has never played the console games could enjoy this movie. Aside from all that, the content of the film as story progress wise was forced. The action is what made up for that downside. With all that being said as a loyal Tekken fan. I either hope A. They make an anime movie out of Tekken that sticks true to the roots or B. Does this movie some justice in a Hollywood remake. They're going to need to take a completely different approach if they want to attract the interests of the hardcore fans.

Page 1 of 11:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]