IMDb > Slutty Summer (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Slutty Summer

Slutty Summer More at IMDbPro »

This is a darn good film! You'll feel like a fly on the wall.

Author: eslgr8 from Alhambra, CA
7 January 2006

I'd read some mixed (to bad) reviews of Slutty Summer, so I was unprepared for what a really good film it is. Of the countless gay movies I've seen, this was the first that truly made me feel that I was observing the real lives of 20something gay guys in a big city. The characters are all three-dimensional, even slutty Luke, well played by Jesse Archer, who is allowed to reveal a deeper side to his seemingly shallow character. Out actor/director Casper Andreas is very real and believable and likable as recently dumped Markus (I liked the way no attempt was made to explain his Scandinavian accent), and his developing feelings for equally effective Jamie Hatchett (as Tyler) build slowly and believably. Jeffrey Christopher Todd is adorable as hopeless romantic Peter, and I appreciated the respect with which Andreas treated this character; it would have been so easy to make fun of Peter's sincere desire to wait for Mr. Right. Virginia Bryant has many good moments as slightly ditzy Marilyn, and again Andreas has made her much more than the usual "fag hag" without a life of her own. I suppose it's possible (though doubtful) that at least some of the actors were straight (only Andreas and Archer are openly gay, as far as I know), but if so, they'd have to be quite amazing actors, because unlike far too many films, I believed that I was seeing real gay men (even down to smaller roles such as cutiepie Lex Sosa as Steven). Reading several other reviews here, I truly wonder at the cynicism and negativity of some gay viewers. This is not a bad film at all. This is not a badly made film at all. The budget may have been low, but this is clearly the work of a talented man who has surrounded himself with a talented bunch of mostly new to the screen performers. And the New York locations add to the realism of the story, and are especially interesting for an Angelino like myself (who loves New York as well). Thumbs up for Slutty Summer.

Surprisingly good light entertainment.

Author: fordraff (fordraff@ptd.net) from Stroudsburg, PA
18 January 2006

This was a thoroughly entertaining film that had laughs and a predictably happy ending. Yes, the characters are stereotypes, but at the same time, the guys are all real people. I know people exactly like these men, and I could see myself in various aspects of these characters. And the topics of conversation were exactly ones that I've had with my friends.

I found Casper Andreas as Markus, the protagonist, perfectly acceptable as a sensitive guy who's a bit shell-shocked after coming home to find his lover Julian making out with a trick. Julian exits, ending their four-year relationship. And Markus takes a job in a Manhattan restaurant, where his friend Marilyn works. Since Markus has been out of the cruising scene, he's taking very tentative steps to get back in circulation.

Markus is surrounded with a very believable group of gay waiters, who are, at the same time, stereotypes. Luke is the smart-talking queen, who recommends his own promiscuous lifestyle as a model for Markus to get over Julian. Tyler is a model who wants no part of relationships. Peter, an actor, is a serious young man who is holding out for Mr. Right, who just doesn't seem to be around.

The guys talk about topics that plenty of gay men talk about: can men be faithful; is a monogamous relationship possible; how many guys constitute an orgy (they agree on five); what does "sleeping with" mean (if you and another guy fellate each other in the steam room at the gym, can you then say you've slept with him), how is "sleeping with" different from "hooking up with," and so on. Thank God, this film spares us any "in-depth, darling" conversations.

The restaurant setting was very real, and the interaction of the waiters and customers plays out fantasies of what many waiters must want to do to obnoxious customers.

All of the men are good looking in their differing ways and deliver solid performances. The accents of Casper Andreas, Jamie Hatchett, and Christos Klapsis added flavor to their characters. And, yes, Jesse Archer as the smart-talking Luke, steals most of the scene, but isn't that true in just about every gay film that features a smart-talking queen? Don't overlook the extras. The deleted scenes and outtakes are entertaining, too. There's one deleted scene showing a disgruntled patron complaining to an already angry Peter that there are only two olives in his martini instead of three. Peter grabs up a handful of olives from a bowl and returns to throw them at the startled patron before Peter slams out of the restaurant. Hurrah, Peter, says every waiter in the business. There are also interesting interviews with the actors, and Jesse Archer, who plays Luke, hosts a short documentary in which he takes to the streets of Chelsea to ask various gay men there, "What is a slut"? This was a funny footnote to the film.

Most newspaper critics and more than a few commentators here have been hard on this film. But I think it's quite a remarkable achievement for a first film, made on a miniscule budget, and shot in just fourteen days. Lighten up. It's fun.

Entertaining

Author: john-1587 from Arlington, Texas
6 September 2004

I watched "Slutty Summer" at the Austin Gay and Lesbian International Film Festival (AGLIFF) and was very entertained. The plot has a creative premise about a young guy named Marcus that comes out of a long term relationship and gets a summer job where he meets a very different group of guys. Along for the ride is the comical token fag hag, Marilyn. These new friends bring him to grips with being a single gay guy in the big city and together all go though trials of love, sex and attempts of monogamy. The scenes were tasteful and the light comedy is done very well. Most of the acting was excellent and you really get a chance to get to know and love the characters. The film was done on a bit of a low budget as to be expected with an independent film. The entire movie was actually shot in 14 days which does allows for mistakes. The editing was done well however, and all in all, I would recommend this film to a friend.

Unfortunate Title

Author: gradyharp from United States
31 January 2006

Sometimes the title of a film has connotations that put people off, preventing them from viewing a film that has a lot of good points just because the title is tacky. Such is the case for SLUTTY SUMMER. This low budget first film by writer/producer/director/actor Casper Andreas may not have the substance or finesse that other independent films have, but taken as a whole it is an entertaining outing that deserves more credit than it has received. One wonders if a different title and cover image would have resulted in a larger more attentive audience.

Summer in Manhattan and new writer Marcus (Andreas) has just terminated a relationship with unfaithful Julian (Christos Klapsis) and finds solace in his man-hungry but gay-friendly friend Marilyn (Virginia Bryan) who lands him a waiter position in a small restaurant where all waiters are various stereotypes of gay men: ex-model sleeparound Tyler (Jamie Hatchett), hopeless romantic wannabe actor Peter (Jeffrey Christopher Todd), nellie flamboyant one night stander Luke (Jesse Archer) and the obnoxious manager Kevin (Lance Werth). Through a lot of visits to bars and hangouts the crew try to soften Markus' hurt and in doing so open Markus' eyes (indeed, everyone's eyes) to the significance of relationships in the flippant world of gay Manhattan.

Yes, the story has been done before but life keeps repeating the same stories, too, and it is fine to have a different take on same sex ways of life and philosophy in the big city. For a film shot in 14 days there is a fine amount of attention paid to small details of conversations. Markus proves an economical director. The cast of mostly inexperienced actors does well, and even if they do seem to be parodies of stereotypes, they do establish understandable characters. For a first film this is a pretty successful outing. With different packaging perhaps it could have had a better chance in the theaters. Grady Harp

Very nice, contemporary drama/comedy - loved it!

Author: jjdominiecki from United States
15 January 2006

This film took me a while to warm up to, but after the first 10-15min. I really began enjoying it. While others may carp about this or that; the writer/director/star's supposed self indulgence; lousy acting; etc., I found none of this to be true. I thought all of the acting was very good, even the over the top manager, who admits to just basically playing himself: "I didn't even have to audition". And listen up now children, there really are people in this world like our up-tight manager. And Luke. And Tyler. And Markus. And very, very cute Peter . . . who alone of these randy characters finds true love at the restaurant - via a 'posting' in mens room. (It's really pretty funny - see the movie.) Director Casper Andreas did a great job of fleshing these characters out and making us care about every single one of them. And I at least did not see the happy ending coming until it was already upon us, it happens so fast. But telling what that is would not be cool, so rent or buy the DVD. A very pleasant way to spend 90 minutes.

Fun, romantic with a universal message of love.

Author: Kenneth Andersen from Denmark
16 May 2005

Great movie. Even though it is primarily for the gay audience, the message in this movie is universal. When I was first presented to this movie I thought that this would be a somewhat waste of time but what the heck, I could give it a chance. Well, big was my surprise, I found myself getting more and more absorbed by the movie. As I said earlier this movie is primarily for the gay audience, but I do believe that anyone can watch this movie. Don't go in and see it as a gay movie, but see it as the fun, romantic comedy it is. This movie is both funny, romantic and intellectual and has much to offer. Gay or not, this is a movie worth watching.

Slut or Not a Slut

Author: thebeardedlady-1 from United States
26 January 2007

This film was shot in fourteen days. The actors are mostly friends (and the basis for the characters) of the writer/director/producer/editor/lead, Casper Andreas. This is an amateur film. Having said that, Slutty Summer is an enjoyable, cute film about five struggling (writer/model/actor) twenty-something waiters working together for the summer at an outdoor New York café. It's funny, cliché, romantic, and sexy. Yes, it's kitschy and camp, but we like that. Once you get in the rhythm (about five minutes in) you forget that the actors are still fresh. The sets are surprisingly believable. The cinematography and set design give you the feel of a bigger picture. Montages are cut and scored like any Hollywood film. The biggest surprise is the turn of the film when you realize that it's not just a romantic comedy or a gay trick film. I felt good about the way the film concluded, whether the hopeless romantic found love or the drunk found strength.

Cute but a little boring

Author: edannon88 from United States
1 June 2006

I like gay movies and I liked a lot about this movie. The guys were very cute especially the guy who was the director who was also in it. I also liked the woman who was very funny but the movie is obviously pretty cheap and the story kept going over the same thing over and over again and it started to get a little dull. i am really glad I have netflix because this is a perfect rental but not really something to go out and buy. one other thing was how it seems like it would be a comedy but mostly it is very serious. If it is a movie about serious relationships then don't put a guy grabbing another guy on the cover. it just makes you feel a little ripped off.

SLUTTY Sum-Up

Author: NJMoon from United States
8 December 2005

"Hey now, summer in the city, independent film looking dull and gritty..." It's no wonder that SLUTTY SUMMER is one tired film, it's creator Casper Andreas wrote the script, directed, edited the film, played the lead and provided the craft services. He's exhausted and distracted and it shows. He enlists his friends to play along, and the acting ranges from 'godawful' (Lance Werth as restaurant manager Kevin, in a turn that makes Charles Nelson Reilly look like Lord Olivier) to passable (Catherine O'Hara-like Virginia Bryan as the only female and resident fag hag). Andreas' only 'new find' is Jeffrey Christopher Todd as a prudish gay aptly named Peter (wink wink). Sadly - with the exception of Todd - most of these folks are not especially attractive (or at least not attractively photographed) which can be the saving grace of a lame film like this.

Production values are poor, at best, with horrible sound, made worse by noisy exterior locations and geographically untraceable accents from some of the principals, including Andreas. The cliché-ridden script breaks no new ground ("You can't fire me, I quit!") and contributes nothing to the genre. The tone ranges from high camp comedy to soap opera seriousness, without much success at either end of the spectrum. If viewing SLUTTY on DVD, go directly to the SPECIAL FEATURES section for a series of on the street interviews by cast member Jesse Archer. On the summer streets of New York's Greenwich Village, Archer (a hundred times more winning here than he ever is in the film) asks folks the definition of a 'slut' as well as some of the key questions the film's script clumsily throws out. Now, THIS would have made an interesting film - SLUTTY SUMMER: The Documentary.

Could be better

Author: travka79 from United States
17 February 2006

So the cover of the movie says its the gay sex in the city...I beg the differ. Yes, in premise there are similarities such as set in NYC and about four friends dealing with finding and losing relationships. Throw in a gay hook, instead of high manhattan-ites, they are waiters pretending to be models, writers, and actors. Seeing past the low budget production, I was quite disappointed that the characters discussed nuances of gay culture that neither provided new insight nor tackled real relationship issues. Instead we are bored with conversations like how many people constitutes an orgy and what does the phrase "sleep with" mean. These shallow and unfunny moments take away from the plot of a protagonist dealing with a break up all gay men can identify with. Whats even worse the dialogue at best was un-witty, and drab. No wonder these gay men are waiters, they talk like they couldn't pass the 11th grade. Given the actors were natural and very hot, the movie is cute and entertaining. But Honey...this was no Sex in the City. *snaps fingers*