IMDb > Breakfast on Pluto (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 13:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

The Smiling Game

Author: Donald Agustamarian from London, England
8 December 2005

There's never been a character like "Kitten" on the screen before or an actor like Cillian Murphy for that matter. What a feast of a film! What a joyful race through a desolate existence dressed in smiles and hope and gratefulness. Neil Jordan's introduce us to this extraordinary real life character with the magical slant of a fairy tale. A lesson for all seasons. A unique portrait of a victim that behaves like a hero. The idea of victim doesn't even enter the orbit of his reality. How beautiful! I hope this marvellous film find its way to a large audience. I want everyone to feel what I felt. I was enthralled by the positiveness at the heart of its message. And if all this wasn't enough. Liam Neeson! Giving the best performance of his career as the most human of the imperfect humans that populate the planet. Do yourself a favour, put aside preconceptions and run to have breakfast on Pluto.

Breakfast on Pluto is amazing

Author: Skstar1723 from United States
10 October 2005

This film is fabulous- and has nothing to do with the solar system (haha!) Cillian Murphy is AMAZING in his complicated role as a trans-sexual man growing up in Ireland in the 1970's and his quest to find what he wants in his life. (Do not judge Mr. Murphy's acting skills from just watching Batman Begins or Red Eye this level of acting falls more in the type of his earlier works such as On the Edge and Disco Pigs) Liam Neeson, Stephen Rea, and Brandon Gleeson are far more than excellent in supporting roles. This film is dependent on its star (Mr. Murphy) and he shines. The themes in this film are universal. Even while the story is sad and the situation the main character- Kitten-finds herself in are very sad, it somehow always becomes funny. The interaction between Kitten and the people around her is fascinating, funny and true-to-life. Mr. Murphy is amazing and deserves and Academy Award for his stunning and flawless portrayal of such a complicated character. It is fabulous!!! Don't want to spoil anything about the plot but if anyone has read the book DO NOT expect the same situations or ending.This film is tender, sweet, funny, has an amazing script and has actors that made this (to some) far-fetched (not to me or anyone I know but one could have that impression) fairy-tale like story excellent. If you strip away the complicated details of this trans-sexual Irish male and his travels during the 70's you can find the root, universal story of a young person looking for love.

A brilliant film

Author: Dougster-5 from St. Louis, Missouri
18 November 2005

I lived in London in 1973, the year that the main character in the film arrives in London from Ireland.

Breakfast On Pluto caught the tone of London in 1973 so well that it was like re-living the past. A past when friendships were mighty and strong; a past when London was a sexually liberated city; a past when people were so wrapped up in television that the London park system had to hire people to dress up like the television creatures called wombles.

But more than bringing 1973 back to life for me, this film showed me an amazingly resilient Irishman named Kitten. To the people who think that a 135-minute film is way too long, I would tell them to go see Breakfast On Pluto, because those 135 minutes just fly by. And they are 135 minutes of great acting, across the board.

Amazing, Touching Film

Author: weesa729 from Palm Coast, Florida
21 January 2006

While this is not a completely conventional film either in structure or storytelling, it is deeply committed to telling the story of Kitten. Just as the film is committed, so is Cillian Murphy committed to being the best Kitten he can, and he succeeds to an almost uncomfortable point, which I think is part of the storytellers goal.

Who does not want to be loved? Not many of us, and Kitten wants it more than most. Her journey to find love in whatever form it may take is both touching and harrowing at times. You cringe when she finds her self in certain situations, and you root for her to take charge of her life, but that is something she is quite unable to do for the most part of her journey.

While this story features the good, the bad and the ugly of the transvestite lifestyle, there is no judgment being made, it is presented as a simple fact of Kitten's life from nearly the first time you see her. That in itself is refreshing. There are stereotypes, but not presented in stereotypical situation, which is also refreshing.

I came away from this movie with a warm feeling in my heart for the character, the story, and the commitment of everyone involved in the film, it drew me in, it took me to places I did not expect, and it gave me a film experience you simply can not find every day in our cookie cutter Hollywood film world these days. My hat is off to all of you involved in the film. If you like something different, something unexpected, and something unusual made with a lot of love, this is the film for you.

A great film that never drags...

Author: hurstdragn from United States
21 September 2005

I saw BOP in Toronto last week and it was one of my favorites (of the 29 I saw). Cillian Murphy was fabulous as the brave and relentless seeker of the truth who faced life with conviction even when everything around him seemed to be disintegrating. Liam Neeson as the town priest was credible and at times heartbreakingly genuine in his reactions to unfolding situations. Stephen Rea was an unorthodox but sweet magician who brought a great deal to his small part. The supporting cast, especially Brendan Gleeson and Ruth Negga, acted with realism and intensity that helped bring the film to life. Neil Jordan, whose track record stands on its own, delivered a delicious dim sum that left me wanting more and at the same time completely sated. Declan Quinn's dulcet cinematography, much like that of Monsoon Wedding and Vanity Fair, made the film one of the most lustrous at Toronto. After getting the willies watching how evil Murphy can be it was great to see him as an uber-hero. Oh, and did I say I want some of those outfits?

Extraordinary film from Mr. Jordan

Author: lrpulini from New York, NY
3 October 2005

I saw this on 10/2 at the NYFF-we got last minute tickets right up front. Neil Jordan was present at Q&A-an absolute treat. The film was simply wonderful from beginning to end--charming, emotionally satisfying, delicately nuanced and very powerful. The acting was sublime, as in all Jordan films. Cillian Murphy is so impossibly gorgeous and yet so fearless and skillful an actor, who uses his physicality to his supreme advantage. The Irish gang of three-Gleeson, Neeson and Rea, who usually appear in Jordan's films, were superb and touching as usual. There were wonderful casting touches--Bryan Ferry as a sicko, Gaivn Friday as a gay rockabilly, etc. The film was audacious, swerving mightily between broad comedy and grim tragedy. The most arresting elements were the amazing customes and the choice of 60s and 70s songs, something Jordan discussed in detail during the Q&A.

I urge all cineastes to catch this one-you will be amazed and deeply satisfied.

The First Truly Great Film I Have Seen In ages....

Author: omegaknight_d from United States
1 January 2006

A masterpiece. I have not seen many of Jordan's other works, but I intend to give his career a thorough examining after seeing Breakfast on Pluto. I also now have an immense respect for Cillian Murphy. To go from 28 Days Later and Red Eye to the layered, mesmerizing performance of Pluto is astounding. The story of using fantasy to escape the harshness of reality is so appealing, one would think this movie could be accepted by the masses. Dreamy visuals, multi layered and realistic characters mixed with stark visceral violence and political mechanisms create an emotionally jarring experience unlike anything I have ever experienced before. I intend to go to the film again and perhaps again. And I urge everyone to go and see this film and support it. Instantly in my top ten all time favorite movies. Bravo Mr. Jordan and Bravo Mr. Murphy.

You are being served now!!

Author: philip-ct from Cape Town, South Africa
5 March 2006

This film is about a transvestite on one level, but it is also a lot more: it's about, belonging, being, loving and being loved. What could have been a one-dimensional caricature becomes a three dimensional movie in the hands of a good director like Neil Jordan, and actors such as Liam Neeson, Stephen Rea, and Cillian Murphy (who is magnificent).

Cillian Murphy imbues Patrick "Kitten" with growing dignity as he/she matures through the film, and at the end she has become a self-assured woman, who has 'found' family, her mother and father, and a meaning in life.

The film does not shy away from the Irish-English conflict, either, and the prejudice directed against "Paddy" is appalling, reminiscent of "In the Name of the Father." It is not for the faint-hearted, be aware! Costumes and music of the late 60's / early 70's are both equally impressive. There is an excellent soundtrack.

In all, I found the film quirky and uplifting; a friend with me pronounced it "depressing". Whatever, it needs to be seen and Provo's an interesting view of the times in which the story is set. Judge for ourself.

Neil Jordan returns to his best material: gender bending and the IRA

Author: (roland@atkinsononfilm.com) from Portland, Oregon, United States
31 May 2006

This spellbinding, tightly written, tightly wound, full speed ahead film is Neil Jordan's best work by far since his 1992 hit, "The Crying Game." And, interestingly, in this new film, Jordan returns to exactly the same intertwined themes that marked "Crying Game": the armed struggle of Northern Irish Catholics against the British Crown and gender bending.

Unlike the last minute revelations in "Crying Game," however, here the protagonist's transsexuality is placed front and center from the getgo. Cillian Murphy gives a bravura performance as Patrick "Kitten" Braden, in a story set in the 60s and 70s. Murphy oozes sensual vitality and is a world class flirt, but he's also genuinely kind and compassionate toward everybody.

The story is divided into 35 brief, fast paced "chapters" following Kitten's life over several years, first in a village near Belfast, later in London. The musical score, which is extraordinarily good, is an eclectic mix of everything from 40s pop tunes to Harry Nilsson and Van Morrison. Good supporting turns are provided by Liam Neeson, Ruth Negga, Stephen Rea, Gavin Friday and Brendan Gleeson. My top rated narrative drama of 2005: grade 10/10 A.

The best film of the year by far!

Author: morrellally from United States
14 November 2005

I have now seen this film twice, and I think it is the year's best film by far. Cillian Murphy performance is absolutely astonishing. He should get an Oscar for sure. Both of the viewings I went to for this film were followed by a standing ovation, and lots of tears from many audience members. It is a modern day fairy tale, told in the most devastatingly beautiful way. can honestly not say enough good things about this film, and especially Cillian Murphy's performance. I personally have never been touched by a film like I have by this one. There is so much honesty, love and innocence. It is absolutely beautiful. I Please go see this film. It is truly an incredible experience.

Page 1 of 13:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]