IMDb > The 58th Annual Tony Awards (2004) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

The 58th Annual Tony Awards (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Best darn night of my life...

Author: LOTRmerrysgrl3 from United States
18 April 2005

I was lucky enough to be able to attend the Tonys this year and I must say, even though I was in the second to last row of the highest balcony, I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world. To be able to be in the same room with some of the best musical/Broadway performers in the world was a dream come true.

Watching Idina Menzel and Kristin Chenoweth belting "Defying Gravity" and Hugh Jackman making Sarah Jessica Parker dance... That was incredible.

I'm so happy for all of the winners (except for Best Musical) and everyone else who was up for an award. There's always next year.

I Was There

Author: hockeychamp7 from United States
19 September 2005

I may have been in the balcony, but it was freaking the greatest experience ever. I was in the same room as my hero, Billy Joel. I got to see Tony Bennet perform. Two of my favorite all time musicals were duking it out (Avenue Q, and especially Wicked). I got to see scenes from each again, get goosebumps from "defying gravity" and find out what a freaking great host Hugh Jackman is. For those who don't know, being a host isn't all about announcing names, during commercials they have to keep the guests entertained. He did that by coming out and singing songs and telling jokes. He picked diddy out of the crowd during a commercial break after singing "oh what a beautiful morning" and asked him to sing along. He pointed to his wife saying, "now that's bling" but saying it was rented. Diddy, however, didn't know the song, so in front of everyone, Jackman taught him. Hilarious, I think so. And I don't know about TV, but Philicia Rashad commanded such respect and has such a peaceful way about her that she put the whole room in such a tangible silence and stillness. And my girl Idina won baby! On top of it all, my drama teacher knew the director or Wicked and Assassins, so I was invested in his success. She also met Sarah Jessica Parker at the opening night of Wicked, and Sarah got pulled on stage, which was interesting. They also showed hilarious shots of a Broadway documentary coming out, but I forget which one it is, I don't think it was the PBS one. It had scenes of Avenue Q being written at home around a piano, and actors pretending to yell at each other backstage to set the "mood" of what Broadway is like. And to be at Radio City, come on. It almost rained on my group while waiting in line to get in though. But standing in line just looking around knowing I was getting into the hottest ticket in the town, you can't ruin that mood.

I wish I had could have been there

Author: deadly-1 from Suffolk, England
9 June 2004

I was so very very happy when I got the news that Hugh won the Tony from the Boy from Oz, and his performance in Oklahoma certainly deserved the nomination award. However, what ever film he appears in he has this extra ordinary talent to bring so much to a character that there are Oscars out there waiting for him I am sure. It needs the right director with a GOOD SCRIPT and he will do the rest. I have managed to acquire all of his films with the exception of two and they have been very enjoyable - and his input in each film has brought that film to the fore. He is so very astute in working on characterisation. I have not managed to see Van Helsing yet - I have not been able to manage it - but I will.

HOW ABOUT AFTER THE Oscar FOR AN EXCELLENT FILM WE GO FOR A MUSICAL FILM SAY PHANTOM OF THE OPERA - THERE ARE MANY GOOD MUSICALS BUT I CANNOT PUT A NAME ONE A BETTER ONE THAN OKLAHOMA AT THE MOMENT - I WILL WORK ON IT. what do you think ? aS Trevor Nunn said 'There are many good musicals - but not many to revisit'

GOOD LUCK TO YOU HUGH, AND dEBORRA AND Oscar I HOPE THAT LIFE REWARDS YOU AS YOU DESERVE.

ANNE