IMDb > "Rodney" (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Rodney"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Rodney" More at IMDbPro »

Promising

Author: duce122 from United States
25 August 2004

'Rodney' (2004) Rodney Carrington, Jennifer Aspen, Amy Pietz, Nick Searcy, Oliver Davis, Matthew Michael Josten. Down-to-earth husband/father in middle America quits his job that he hates and starts doing stand-up comedy, much to the dismay of his wife and kids. Saw the pilot at an ABC Premiere Party @ Times Square on August 22 and although this looks like 2004's answer to Roseanne/The Drew Carey Show, it is a lot better than it has any business being. Some of the jokes fell flat, but that often happens in a pilot episode (especially one on ABC). Several supporting characters are realistic people whom anyone could know. I had never previously heard of Rodney Carrington, but he seems to know what he is doing and delivers one-liners in a swift manner. Certainly promising.

One of the Funniest People in America

Author: ryan79 from Whitesburg, Kentucky
29 December 2004

I've been a fan of Rodney Carrington for many years. If you've not heard any of his stand-up comedy you're really missing out on one of the funniest people in America. Rodney Carrington has sold out Rupp Arena in Lexington, KY many times along with many other arenas and concert halls across America. As for the sitcom, it's very good, well written and is usually very funny. It places a struggling stand-up comedian in rural America in various situations as he tries to further his comedy career while also working to support his family. Many of the episodes are based on the stand-up comedy of Rodney Carrington and the real life situations he has faced. I've not heard anything about how this show has done in the ratings but I do hope it is picked up for next year. You're missing out if you have not seen this show.

Family Fare

Author: dwpenn from United States
15 February 2006

I saw the other comments and the only way I can account for the variance in viewpoint is the differences in expectancy. I had not seen the comedian before to the best of my knowledge so this was just another sitcom with unknown faces to me. It was good family entertainment, story-telling, based on something one could expect to occur in the home. I really appreciate not having to make excuses for poor behavior of actors on screen (and off) to children; there was no risqué content. I hope that wasn't just this one episode by a fluke, I hope there's more like this to come. We need decency back for (at least) family viewing, even if it means some people will call it flat and others call it predictable. I'm old enough to remember Ozzie and Harriet, and by today's sophisticated and earthy world view Ozzie and Harriet would be slaughtered by commentary and then summarily canceled. In America our tastes have become more sophisticated, but that shouldn't be blindly taken as a good thing. Almost nobody blushes at anything any more, and it seems to take more shock and awe (even in family situations) to satiate our appetites. We're like the frog put in water with the temperature slowly raised to where it's boiling before we are aware (if we are ever aware). My opinion is that it's our loss (just like it's the frogs loss); our loss that we think this show is missing anything; what we need back is our appreciation for a simple story-line made up of genuine family situations. In the show I saw someone who looked how I think Mac Davis would have aged to this point in time (after all these years since his variety show). In IMDb Mac wasn't listed in the cast of Rodney, but when I checked under Mac's page he had guested on three episodes. IMDb is wonderful for answering questions that arise. Summary: We need decency back for (at least) family viewing, even if it means some people will call it flat and others call it predictable. Flat and predictable are an element in life, a good one that makes us feel secure, when someone plays that back at us on screen we should call it a good thing. The fastest of the thrill rides at Disneyland is partly appreciated because of its contrast to the other rides, a point we're losing about Disneyland, about stories, and life.

The best family comedy on TV!!!

Author: dx1234 from United States
26 June 2006

this is the best family comedy since home improvement. there are many situations especially in season1 that common folk can relate to. Rodney is quite simple and down to earth, i love this show, it is probably the best family show of all times! i especially love that this show focuses on family and importance of father's presence in his kids lives. Rodney is funny as hell,i love his songs and stand up comedy. and on the show the rest of the cast do their thing really well,we all want the best for our kids, but we can find ourselves in situations where unwillingly we disappoint them, now who hasn't found himself in that situation? the entire show is well made, hope it stays on for a long time.

The best TV program on abc1/ abc ever!!

Author: thomasperkins from Plymouth, Devon, England
27 August 2006

Rodney is the best TV program on abc1 (in UK) ever! I am so disappointed to read that it seems series 2 will be the last. Series 1 was excellent and had me in stitches all the way through every episode. Series 2 has just started on abc1 in the UK. It is excellent but the episodes do not seem to follow a logical order like series 1. For instance, tonight's episode, "Welcome Ho" seemed to logically follow the last episode of series 1 where Rodney leaves for a 2 month tour but instead was shown in the middle of the series after "Sleepover". Series 1 was best but 2 is still great, I want them all on DVD or video but there is no retail release so I am recording them all at the moment onto DVD. I have 4 episodes in order of series 1 on DVD so far but cant do series 2 until its finished because I am not sure what order they should be. If you like the show buy 1 of Rodney Carrington's CDs from US. The Greatest Hits is super, I bought it new on eBay and it was still well under £10 to UK from US!

Flat and uneventful

Author: criticman2000 from United States
16 August 2005

If you've ever heard any of Carrington's cocksure, edgy comedy CDs, on which it certainly seems as though he's thoroughly loaded, laughing at himself, rolling quite blue, but always with good reason-- the guy is funny as hell-- you're probably also scratching your head at this lame attempt to turn him into the new Andy Griffith. I mean, you can sit through retread of crap after retread of crap, but this man needs a working venue, and this clearly isn't it. The writing is dumb, the pace is slow, the kids are cookie cutter cute and the wife has no presence. But they all stand out when you see what they've done to poor Rodney. If you think I'm being overly severe, go buy a copy of "Morning Wood" and hang on.