IMDb > "Medical Investigation" (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Medical Investigation"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Medical Investigation" More at IMDbPro »

Hold the phone

Author: danny_rat from Australia
25 May 2005

Some small spoilers

This show recently started here (AUS) My comment deals with one episode the one where they go to the Arctic station (one of the few, where they don't have the run to the hospital bed scene) anyway, after sabotage the generator is out and most of the rest of the show is a desperate attempt to get the power back so they can contact home base to find an antidote. (a) Any part military base would have battery backup for the radio system. (b) more importantly, They all seem to forget that after the (MI Team) first arrived at the station one of them used his iridium phone to call his family, major plot goof.

Exciting and watchable show

Author: ette100 from New Zealand
16 June 2005

We are nearly at the end of the season in New Zealand and I have really enjoyed this show. It is so watchable and I like to try and guess the commonality before the cast. It's a shame the show is not being renewed for a second season as I would like to see more character development. I am a fan of Neal and Kelli too and think their characters work well together bringing just enough professionalism combined with a more personal note. I think it's good there is a new storyline each episode while the casts' lives carry on in the background. Each episode concludes and we can wait for the next outbreak. I wish the cast luck for future projects and will have to wait for repeats I guess.

Predictable format...

Author: craigwatsoncpa from Australia
31 March 2005

Whilst this series can be fast pace and interesting, the format for each episode is very predictable. It starts off with a larger than normal number of deaths from an unknown cause, then more deaths or instances. Then "commonalities" are tracked down and then the disease is treated. The lead character is always on the phone walking somewhere - whether it is on a beach when treating an outbreak on an island, or up and down hospital corridors. I think the concept is good for a one-off movie, but not a TV series. Then the concept of emergency and the lack of time is fairly loose as in a recent episode where there was no time to obtain a court order, but then they found time to get one, and also perform a DNA test.

Not terribly bad...entertaining and worth a look.

Author: Custerd
9 September 2004

I just watched the pilot of this show, and...well...it wasn't bad. It wasn't mind blowing, but not bad.

The first show dealt with people turning blue and the MI team trying to figure it out before the smurfs all die. It's about as fast paced as any medical show, with the tough, strong, and somewhereinsideagoodheart main male character, and the lead female that knows more then her coworker admits to himself. You have the lackeys, who do a good job for what they are worth. I rather enjoyed the woman who was trying to keep the story out of the press. (Sorry, it latterly just ended and I'm a wee too lazy to look up names other then Neil's.)

Ah, Neil McDonough, how beautiful with your blond hair and blue eyes. I love the man, he rocked my face in Band of Brothers and Boomtown. (Boomtown, how I miss thee.) He has the potential to really take this show and take off with it. I hope he does. He's damn talented.

We'll have to see where this show goes and if it'll make it. I hope it does. With this show, LAX (With Frank John Huges) and Scott Grimes on ER (I hear he's coming back, oh please let it be true.) it'll be a Band of Brothers fest this season on NBC. Rock on.

medical investigation

Author: tstrange21 from United States
19 January 2016

i miss this show it was a good show it had a great cast good plot most of the people who probably didn't like this show likes duck dynasty or something a show that has no plot. this was one of the best shows i can remember sitting with my family watching this show. this show was great cause of the plot to it i mean people trying to solve deadly diseases thats what i liked about. but now the new age is more about duck dynasty and the walking dead two of the dumbest shows on TV. the walking dead people running from zombies what kind of show is that. and the duck dynasty dumb just plain out DUMB. this show had a good cast and i miss it this was one of my favorite shows when it was out i wish they would bring it back

Medical Whodunnit

Author: Daz Morrell from United Kingdom
28 April 2005

For me and my family this is a great show as we race the cast to spot the common factor before they do. I have read the criticism above but then surely television is meant to be either a) entertaining or b) educational, ideally both. The show has excellent entertainment value, and any show that reminds us that just because we think we eradicated a disease there is no excuse to be complacent, nature can and will turn round and bite us in the rear if we do, or come up with something equally unpleasant.

It has been said that we cannot feel for the victims as we aren't given enough time to identify with them because they are only here for one episode. How many other shows especially crime or police based have the same situation ? The victim is a passing character the investigative team are the permanent stars, but no one seems to feel they are let down by this.

I am looking forward to when one of the team finally succumb to one of the illnesses they are fighting and the battle to save them, also to see which of the team pair up with who and how that will affect their working relationships.

I'm trying to find who sings the song in the "South America Bacteria" Episode that plays near the end!

Author: c4rn3vil from United States
12 May 2005

Hello. I've enjoyed watching this Series as far as it's been out. It's sort of a pumped up ER but in a more realism of speed.

Although I'm wondering who sings a song in a particular episode.

It was the Mar 12th, 2005 Air, where they were tracking down possibilities of this bacteria from a plastic surgeons office. due to flue like symptoms.

The song plays around the time they diagnose the anti-dote to the virus like bacteria - when they girl's undergoing recovery. It's a smooth tone sounding song - except I'm left without the Artist nor the Songs title.

It goes something like the following;

I'll do anything, just to save you... etc etc. If you've seen this episode and know or can refer me to this actual song? Please do to my email. c4rn3vil@gmail.com (Spammers will be tossed)

Thanks in advance.

Regards, Jarhed C.

Love medical investagation shows.

Author: cj2135 from United States
11 October 2006

I am one of Neal Mcdonoughs biggest fan. So I was so happy to see one of my favorite type 0f shows with Neal staring in it. I thought it was a very impressive, and the type of medical work they were doing was very insightful, I felt I really learned a lot from the series. I truly miss the show,I would love it if you brought it back. The crew was great also. I love Neal's acting and I think he would be wonderful on one of the CSI series. Maybe he and his crew could have a new CSI Austraila, I think that would make a wouderful new CSI. Thank-You for the opportunity to express my feelings and to be able to vote on this series. THANK-YOU SO VERY MUCH........... Cindy in Idaho. A huge fan of Neal Mcdonough

Some of the most ridiculous dialogue I have ever heard!

Author: abiwren from Sydney, Australia
10 February 2005

I wanted to like this show but really...I'm halfway through the first episode and just heard something so stupid I felt compelled to post something here to prevent anyone else from having to suffer through it. Apart from the delivery of the lines, which is just strange (there is no emotion whatsoever behind them, so there's no tension & no intrigue, something which is sort of necessary in this kind of show!) the lines themselves...this is a 99% accurate quote

"how long till that boat gets here?" "at 6 knots an hour, about 40 minutes" "when it gets here, we lose containment" "and then more people could get sick"

MORE PEOPLE COULD GET SICK. It's RIDICULOUS!!! It's delivered in the way that the one-liners are on CSI but it's a stupid line, especially considering that they've already made the point at least 10 times (literally). You should only watch this show if you couldn't work out that it was about people getting sick from the trailer.

P.S Having known for plenty of the show that the virus was in some way related to soil, they then wait another 10 minutes before considering the possibility of checking the first guy's room for plants. Oh yes. Real geniuses these guys. On the other hand, the plot still manages to be convoluted.

great idea, but it's no ER, quality wise...

Author: from sf, cali
12 November 2004

This is a great idea for a show...I can't get enough of ER since it's pretty authentic, and the actors have done their homework. However, in MI, "Dr." Stephen Connor needs to learn a little more background, for instance, how to pronounce "Bacilli." Hint: it's not "back-silly." What's up with his lips, anyway? Is it a bad collagen job or some weird shade of lipstick? I hope makeup can help him out on this...he seems very cold, too, even when he's trying not to be...not a good quality for a doctor, maybe that's why he's an investigator and not a primary care doc. Anyway, I hope the show can get some polish next season and delve just a bit deeper into the material. It's got potential.