IMDb > "Lost" (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Lost"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings

"Lost" More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 74: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

Good, bad and ultimately, indifferent

Author: criticman2000 from United States
1 September 2005

I hate soap operas. A lot of people say that, then, they spend a few days at home, sick, or on a dull vacation watching them and they get hooked. No chance of that ever happening with me. Soap operas have pacing based on commerce. They drag out the goods at a snail's pace so you can watch the car ads, again and again and again and again. This is the problem with "Lost". It drags on and on and on and on, due to limited availability of pertinent information, and an aching desire to sell products. There are flashbacks aplenty. Do they have anything to do with the current plot? That depends on which 'theory site' you go to, and yeah, you definitely need to use one with this show. But "Lost" is not without its merits. The cast is excellent and there is a healthy dose of suspense. Terry O'Quinn, in particular, chews scenery like nobody's business, but then he's always been great for that. Why he hasn't gotten more work, is beyond me. Jorge Garcia, as well, is remarkable; he's got real presence, he commands each scene he's in, struggling to give us something to believe in. Everyone is quite good and the setups are at the very least, intriguing. But the other side of the coin contains flying stuffed animals, looking very much like flying stuffed animals, ridiculous red herrings, plot lines that pop-up, then disappear for weeks at a time... . You need to be taking notes, believe me. And then, there are the things which make no sense whatsoever, such as, whatever happened to the bulk of the survivors? All this is stylishly designated to keep you coming back. If it's worked it's magic, more power to you. I find the whole thing manipulative and ultimately annoying, but reserved my opinion until I could watch the finale, which was frankly, lame and disappointing, framed by more promo lies stating, "many questions will be answered". It was busy enough, it also delivered more query and little conclusion. I also wanted to reserve judgment until I could catch up on episodes I may have missed, due to the on again, off again scheduling of the show. I caught myself up finally, tonight; with the recap of Hurley's story, incidentally, one of the most satisfying episodes I saw. The show has a lot going for it and it knows it, which makes the situation even less endurable, because I am certain, that at the end of next season, we'll still be scratching our heads and wondering what the hell all this is about. I hate soap operas because I hate being messed with.

This show should have gotten lost long ago

Author: evilpinklolita from Anchorage, AK
31 December 2010

I started watching Lost right right from the start. It seemed like a great show, at first, with a unique approach. I watched every show faithfully each week. But toward the end of season 1, the show started getting weird. New characters with complex stories started appearing with increasing regularity. I kept watching. Then in season 2, more people came, along with more and more stories and the whole show became incredibly confusing, so confusing that I never understood what was going on. It also didn't make sense how all of these people would just appear suddenly on this tiny island when they had never been there before. Since I never could follow the storyline anymore, it wasn't fun to watch so I stopped before the beginning of season 3. I'm glad I did, because I heard it just got worse and worse.

Truly, The Greatest Show On Television...

Author: fearfulofspiders from United States
5 September 2008

Intriguing. Exciting. Dramatic. Explosive. Complex. Epic. Words that only touch the tip of the iceberg in terms of the grand story that is LOST being told.

From the acting down to the rare visual effects, LOST is the essential show on television for fans of science-fiction, fantasy, action, adventure, and lots and lots of mystery.

Each cast member is so well chosen, and so good in their roles, that you either love them, or hate them, or downright wish them dead.

The visual effects, when used (which is rare) are actually quite well done considering the usual production of shows. Be it the "smoke monster", to the polar bears, LOST is believable in terms of eye-candy.

As far as story goes, nothing can compare to the vast complexity this show has made viewers like me endure. Beginning to End, continuity is virtually perfect, characters are developed, and the ever-evolving story slowly gives the answers to its questions so many crave.

Overall, there is practically no flaw in LOST. It does for dramatic/sci-fi television what Arrested Development did for comedy: it has set the bar.

I highly recommend LOST to those that are patient, intellectual, and love every moment of the ride, no matter how long it takes to reach the end.

See this show.

Good show with a very disappointing ending!

Author: CyrussTheVirus from United Kingdom
3 November 2013

I have watched this show in its entirety and was thoroughly entertained. I like the time travel aspect towards the end and the super natural elements.

The characters in the show developed over time and had depth. The story arcs were interesting and the twists and turns kept me in anticipation for the next episode.

Then we got towards the end of the final season. I was hoping for some sort of half decent explanation to cut off all the loose ends and unexplained events that occurred. Due to the nature of the show I wasn't looking for a logical, realistic ending that made complete sense. Just something satisfactory.

This is were the show let itself down. At the end of it all, I felt as though following the show for the five seasons was a waste of time.

*SPOILERS*

I just didn't understand how it came to finding some mysterious light in a cave and the then all the characters that had been killed off, coming back to life and having a get together in the local church. That did not do justice to the show at all. Just left to many gaps and unanswered questions.

This is why I have given Lost 5/10. The score is based solely on the ending. I felt very let down.

It could have been perfect...

Author: LetsWatchSomething from United Kingdom
7 January 2013

If 'Lost' had ended after season 5 then despite all of my aching unanswered questions, I would have been happy.

Instead I'm left with what in my opinion is the worst ending in television history. I honestly can not express how truly disappointed I am in the way that it finished having invested all my time in getting there. This may sound a little arrogant considering I'm sure many people enjoyed the ending but to me it was the exact opposite of how I wanted it to end.

All of the mystery that existed before season 6 was incredible, I was ready to hail 'Lost' as one of the greatest shows ever. Despite the far fetched nature of time travel, the way it was beginning to develop had me intrigued enough to overlook any possible flaws except I still couldn't shake the fact from the back of my mind that 'Lost' was no longer about simply leaving the island with all the survivors who remained, which made it the most humanly accessible in the first place.

Now we were beginning to unravel the even bigger mystery of the island itself which is what many of us had been looking forward to since the beginning so I accepted the change of direction. After the hydrogen bomb detonated, I recommend leaving it at that. No seriously stop watching, it all goes down hill so fast I don't even have time to blink.

When Locke was revealed to be the Man In Black I had already predicted the outcome - Jack Shephard kills him. In fact it was so obvious that I was hoping 'Lost' pulls yet another trick on me, but unfortunately at this point, no more twists or turns were available.

What hurt me the most wasn't entirely the final showdown between Shephard and the MIB, it was the awful build up. At this point I literally didn't care about the characters anymore because I was so unattached by the ridiculous decisions they made however I still wanted to view the conclusion to the entire series.

Everything about season 6, from all of them finding out that they are candidates, to the average reunion of Jin and Sun, to the boring death of Widmore, to the awful episode 'Across the Sea' where we learn about the origin of Jacob and the MIB, all of which were topped off by the most lacklustre conclusion ever.

What went from finding about the islands secrets, instead turned into a generic battle between good and evil (and of course good always wins). It truly is pathetic that they took such an easy root despite the amount of intelligent writing in previous episodes.

But wait! Now the definitive ending will arrive, finally the survivors will leave the island and the truth will be revealed to the world! But of course not, yet more unnecessary things occur and the island is about to sink... and of course it is up to Jack to save the day!

Without dwelling on the outcomes, another irritation I'm concerned about is the flashback time-line. The 'reunions' that each character has are completely irrelevant and I couldn't help but think they were added to give us some sort of emotional justification having seen all the characters go through so much. Jack Shephard's death which mirrored the arrival he made in the pilot was the only thing that was enjoyable but the fact that he enters the church and starts hugging people to me just ruined the reality part of 'Lost' that I enjoyed so much (Despite time travelling and killer black clouds).

I'm still in two minds whether I should recommend 'Lost' to other people. On one hand you have an incredibly written and deep show packed with meaning, but on the other hand the ending is awful.

But of course I could be wrong and maybe some people could be satisfied with the ending.

It pains me to give 'Lost' a 6/10 considering before season 6 I was going to give it a 10/10, but I just can't recover from the mental loss of the worst finale in television history.

Unlike no other

Author: Pierre-Simon Laplace from Tau, Nuetrino
14 August 2013

I have Asperger's, so when I say something is a favorite, it serious! This show is one of my favorites of all time. I had never seen an episode until 2012 and thought I would give it a try on Netflix. Two weeks later I was done with the series. I have never been able to get involved with a series like I have Lost. Each episode leaves you hanging massively and I feel bad for the people who had to wait in between episodes and seasons. The creators have been criticized for leaving the ending too open, or unexplained. Like Stephen King's the Dark Tower series, I found this ending absolutely fitting. Movies that explain way too much (Matrix 3) do not leave enough for the imagination of the viewer, but this does and I would much rather see a show that does that.

Plot Gimmicks Point In One Direction

Author: Al Azose from Van Nuys, California
14 February 2006

And that direction is down. WAY down. The only viable explanation at this point for all of these totally weird plot anomalies is that all of the survivors are dead and in Hell. It's a classic Hollywood copout. The writers have dug so many plot holes that any attempt now to explain these mysteries in the real world would be far-fetched and ludicrous. Thus, being in Hell as an "explanation" eliminates the need to connect the monsters, the black horse, the polar bear, the "Others", the Dharma Initiative, and all the other mysteries of the island. According to the rules of Hollywood scriptwriting, if you're in Hell anything goes and doesn't need explaining. But it's still a copout. Of course, they can always resort to that other Hollywood copout: It was just a dream.

The show is still fun to watch but it would have been so much more enjoyable if the mysteries had a believable, logical explanation in the real world. If they're not in Hell, why are the writers so reluctant to reveal any mysteries? Two puzzling but less obvious mysteries: (1) Why didn't Hurley lose weight after eating nothing but nuts and fruits (at least before he found that food stash in the hatch)? (2) Why didn't the raft crew attempt to circumnavigate the island instead of heading out to sea? They may have found a luxury resort on the other side where the locals would have said, "Oh, we don't go to that part of the island. It's private property owned by an eccentric billionaire named Zeke Dharma".

Ultimate show ever

Author: rum2550 from Sri Lanka
9 November 2010

I've just finished watching LOST.In fact, I didn't have a chance to watch it on TV in a regular manner so I bought DVDs of all six seasons and watched over last 2-3 months. Watching the pilot alone was enough for me to understand that this is not gonna be an ordinary TV show.This fantastic show easily surpasses all the TV shows I have ever seen.There are a few characteristics that make this show so unique.

1.Concept of running two story lines in a single episode; main story and another story on a centric character presenting as a flashback/flash forward. 2.Never a TV show, in my opinion, was able to depict qualities and history of characters so deep that we tend to feel like they were our friends or relatives that we know for a very long period of time.Even though there were shows that ran longer, they were not able to do that this competently.For example, I used to be a die hard fan of "X files" when I was going to college but I never knew Moulder or Sculley as close as I know Sawyer, Kate or Jack in LOST. 3.Outstanding blend of characters originating from a wide range of social and cultural backgrounds; from a spinal surgeon to a con man, from Americans to an Iraqi all teaming up against challenges they face in surviving on the island. 4.Never a show was there which combined elements of so many genres with this much success. Can you imagine action,mystery,adventure,sci- fi,romance,thriller all in one episode? 5.Creation of incidental interactions in a very subtle manner among characters which makes us so amazed and even shocked. (eg.Jack's father having a drink with Sawyer, Kate being friend with Sawyer's ex- girlfriend etc.) I always wonder how come writers come up with ideas that are so subtle.

All I have to say now is that I miss Lost. I miss the Island and I miss the characters of Lost. In fact, I felt as if I have lived past 2-3 month in this island with a bunch of friends. Thanks a lot to the creators of the show for giving me this wonderful experience and I'm doubtful whether there would be another show of this caliber in the future. I hope I was wrong.

Annoying

Author: clone_enolc from United States
13 November 2009

The show quickly becomes irritating. The lack of information given almost always comes as a gaffe in the storyline. The little information given to make any progress in the story is often later recanted as a lie. The cast does a good job and are believable. I feel the writing and lack of direction in the story is the real problem. There are often scenarios invented that feel they are there more often to kill time than to further the characters or the main plot line. Almost the worst show ever. The boundaries implemented by network Television do not play a role in the failure of this show. I also, do not like the fact that I am required to enter 10 lines of comment to fulfill this sites requirements, I just wanted to post (for the first time) that I really do not like a show that I have watched 5 seasons of.*

This was done at the request of a friend, I would not and could not have made it through on my own.

A Bunch of Confused Selfish Idiots Stranded On an Island

Author: Player433 from United States
7 November 2006

I've watched most of the series so far, and I really like the premise of the show, but I can't stand any of the actors, or more so the parts that they play. Everyone on the island has such a huge gap between personalities that it's completely inconceivable. Everybody is extremely selfish and no one will actually work together to make things happen for nothing. The plots are pretty unique, being that this isn't a typical storyline, but everyone's attitudes and actions are very predictable and, most of the time they will do the stupidest things they can think of, as long as it was their idea in the first place. I think the realism to the main plot is very far fetched especially with the types of characters they have, and it's nice that they go into detail about every character, but there are supposed ~45 people on the island and they only show or even talk about maybe 10, and the other ~35 or so people aren't even explained at all. Anyways for the most part this has a few odd twists about it, and leaves you hanging guaranteed at the end of every episode, and very much just wastes your time.