IMDb > "Lost" (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Lost"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Lost" More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 68: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

It could have been perfect...

Author: LetsWatchSomething from United Kingdom
7 January 2013

If 'Lost' had ended after season 5 then despite all of my aching unanswered questions, I would have been happy.

Instead I'm left with what in my opinion is the worst ending in television history. I honestly can not express how truly disappointed I am in the way that it finished having invested all my time in getting there. This may sound a little arrogant considering I'm sure many people enjoyed the ending but to me it was the exact opposite of how I wanted it to end.

All of the mystery that existed before season 6 was incredible, I was ready to hail 'Lost' as one of the greatest shows ever. Despite the far fetched nature of time travel, the way it was beginning to develop had me intrigued enough to overlook any possible flaws except I still couldn't shake the fact from the back of my mind that 'Lost' was no longer about simply leaving the island with all the survivors who remained, which made it the most humanly accessible in the first place.

Now we were beginning to unravel the even bigger mystery of the island itself which is what many of us had been looking forward to since the beginning so I accepted the change of direction. After the hydrogen bomb detonated, I recommend leaving it at that. No seriously stop watching, it all goes down hill so fast I don't even have time to blink.

When Locke was revealed to be the Man In Black I had already predicted the outcome - Jack Shephard kills him. In fact it was so obvious that I was hoping 'Lost' pulls yet another trick on me, but unfortunately at this point, no more twists or turns were available.

What hurt me the most wasn't entirely the final showdown between Shephard and the MIB, it was the awful build up. At this point I literally didn't care about the characters anymore because I was so unattached by the ridiculous decisions they made however I still wanted to view the conclusion to the entire series.

Everything about season 6, from all of them finding out that they are candidates, to the average reunion of Jin and Sun, to the boring death of Widmore, to the awful episode 'Across the Sea' where we learn about the origin of Jacob and the MIB, all of which were topped off by the most lacklustre conclusion ever.

What went from finding about the islands secrets, instead turned into a generic battle between good and evil (and of course good always wins). It truly is pathetic that they took such an easy root despite the amount of intelligent writing in previous episodes.

But wait! Now the definitive ending will arrive, finally the survivors will leave the island and the truth will be revealed to the world! But of course not, yet more unnecessary things occur and the island is about to sink... and of course it is up to Jack to save the day!

Without dwelling on the outcomes, another irritation I'm concerned about is the flashback time-line. The 'reunions' that each character has are completely irrelevant and I couldn't help but think they were added to give us some sort of emotional justification having seen all the characters go through so much. Jack Shephard's death which mirrored the arrival he made in the pilot was the only thing that was enjoyable but the fact that he enters the church and starts hugging people to me just ruined the reality part of 'Lost' that I enjoyed so much (Despite time travelling and killer black clouds).

I'm still in two minds whether I should recommend 'Lost' to other people. On one hand you have an incredibly written and deep show packed with meaning, but on the other hand the ending is awful.

But of course I could be wrong and maybe some people could be satisfied with the ending.

It pains me to give 'Lost' a 6/10 considering before season 6 I was going to give it a 10/10, but I just can't recover from the mental loss of the worst finale in television history.

The most beautiful and most misunderstood TV series of all times

Author: enteredapprenticering from Switzerland
20 May 2012

1. According to legend tens of thousands of years ago there was a high civilization also in the Pacific Ocean, which was on an Island complex which is called "Mu" or "Lemuria" in today's time. This island complex got "lost" in the sea, the series offers a view into the island, its past and the philosophy of this ancient high civilization. One of those Islands was used by the Lemurians tens of thousands of years ago for healing purposes, as it possesses one-of-a-kind unique geomagnetic properties. It was dedicated to the God which was called Sobek by the Egyptians, who were later the collective basket of the remains of this ancient high civilization after sinking into the sea. A system of underground streams from a cave, where the major concentration of geomagnetic energy resides, were connected by the Lemurians to stream into a specifically built temple on the island with a healing spa at its center to heal the sick.

2. Many thousand years later, most likely around 500 BC, a Greek ship gets stranded on the island including a pregnant woman, who gets separated from her shipwrecked party, but rescued by a hermit-like Phoenician priestess, who lives alone on the island and got shipwrecked herself many hundreds of years before. The pregnant Greek woman bears twins, but the Phoenician priestess immediately kills the mother after giving birth to the twins. She fear other humans and civilization as such and believes to have as purpose to protect the island from humans trying to harness the geomagnetic energy, as she believes by harnessing it it would shut down all geomagnetic centers of the earth and result in the death of planet Earth. She lies to the twins about almost everything, who believe she is her mother. The blond haired Jacob is spiritually and mentally so weak that even after the Phoenician priestess confesses that she killed his real mother to prevent a "profane life" with humans, as humans are evil and only kill one another, he still stays with her. After 30 years the Nameless brother finally discovers with other humans from the shipwrecked party a way to transform the geomagnetic energy of the island into quantum-mechanical energy which would allow him to leave the island and finally go home. The Phoenician priestess kills him by and burns every living human on the island. The island brings the Nameless twin back to life for the 1st time. He decides to kills his step-mother for good. His weak-minded brother Jacob throws him into the central geomagnetic cave believing that his brother would never return from the cave. Instead the geomagnetic energy kills him, but island raises him from the dead for a 2nd time and gives the Nameless brother the power to change into the human appearance of other humans and to transform into the form of black smoke. The whole tragedy is that the island does not need protection, as it is shown throughout the series that the geomagnetic energy is harnessed and manipulated without the assumed consequences of shutting down other geomagnetic centers of the earth.

3. In 1867 a British Slave ship crashes on the island and brings Richard Alpert to the island. He is used by Jacob to manipulate others into following Alpert to the island so Jacob can test them, whether they are Protector-Priest material suitable as his successor.

4. In the 1940 Alpert has brought Eloise Hawking and Charles Widmore to the island as protector party against the US Army, which intended to do H-Bomb tests on the Pacific Island. They kill all soldiers, the island remains free of other visitors until the 1970ies.

5. In the 1970ies the island is re-discovered because of its geomagnetic anomalies by American scientists, who found a scientist community called the "Dharma Initiative" that is supposed to live on the island and conduct experiments in stations that are built over the geomagnetic output fields on the island. One of the experiments go wrong and the energy released causes an accident, in which many people die. Those that didn't die are killed on orders of Jacob which he executes through Alpert and Widmore, who lead killing crews to slay all remaining scientists. They were able to do so by manipulating a young boy, called Benjamin Linus, into following them for Jacob's cause, who arranges the secret positioning of poison gas in the village of the scientists when he is already a young man. They explain him that the island must be protected and killing the scientists would secure the island. Benjamin Linus and Charles Widmore engage into a power struggle after the killing, from which Benjamin Linus emanates as victor, Widmore is banished.

6. In 2004 Oceanic Air Flight 815 crashes on the island by a complex string of interventions and manipulations through Jacob and the tragically manipulated executors of his order Alpert and Linus. On the flight he believes to be on board 6 persons which are suitable as his successors. Here the actual story of Lost starts. None of what happens for most of the 116 Episodes from Seaon 1 Episode 1 until Sesons 6 Episode 14 actually matters for the core story. The lives of the protagonists and characters are shown before the island and their potential and actual future, which is caused by efforts trying to transform the geomagnetic energy into quantum-mechanical energy in order to time-travel. During their time-travel adventures the protagonists manage to release an H-Bomb that was left by the US-Army in the 1940ies. Physical Space is dislocated from Physical time. 2 time streams follow side-by-side. In the 1st time stream all characters die except a handful that manages to leave the island on a plane. In the 2nd time stream all characters believe to have never crashed on the island and to be actually alive, but are dead in reality and need to remember their adventures to die spiritually in peace.

Possibly the finest Television show ever made.

Author: mikeonbass2 from United Kingdom
19 May 2009

It's difficult to adequately explain just how extraordinary this programme is. I was fortunate enough to catch it first time around it continues to astound me.

I could echo what past reviewers have stated; the flawless acting, the incredible direction, the tantalising mysteries/reveals/twists, the deep characters and their turbulent relationships and Michael Giacchino's haunting score, but it is the way that Carlton Cuse and Damon Lindelof weave these elements together that makes what they do nothing short of alchemy.

Cynics have often declared that the creators have been making it up as they go along. However, as I write this the penultimate season has just concluded and believe me, from the very beginning it has been meticulously crafted to build up January's Season Six. This means you have eight months to commit yourself to catching up in time for the sixth season.

I simply cannot recommend this programme highly enough. If you do watch it you know what I am talking about. If you don't it's time to start, but for god's sake stay away from the IMDb boards and don't read a THING about it. Enjoy it!

Where is that review?

Author: sneepvaart from United Kingdom
3 April 2012

I'LL START WITH THE OBVIOUS THE BACK AND FORWARD THING IS EXTREMELY Irritating

- if you don't notice that then your a phucking dunce. So i'm watching and its farely entertaining and you've got the suspenseful music as they are running through the field or forest and something cool is about to happen - it may just happen this time and and kick in the nuts don't you people ever learn its the perverbial whats in the secret box ...nothing;

you fell for it, the show is sinical foreplay, a tease just a massive big string along for 6 years or whatever. Anti-climatic is the signature of the show; the writers joke on the audience.

To repeat: ever time something is about to happen - a breath away from excitement cue instant flashback. Or instead of developing characters properly that is appropriate the storyline of the island instead we'll go back 6 months before the plane crash and give you an irrelevant load of mollocks that has virtually no connection to what is going on in the present day and by the time we flash forward again you either have forgotten what exactly was happening or you've LOST interest.

Excellent story telling but with Extremely bad ending

Author: kuklei from Albania
22 June 2010

Up to the last episode this series had won 10 out of 10 for me. Ending just gets 0 out of 10. The most stupid ending ever, who left all the questions unanswered. I wish I had not seen the last episode.

The funny thing is, I had seen the first 5 seasons in 5 years. Then right before season 6 was out I downloaded them all so that I could start Lost from the beginning and try to follow the story line without the interruptions (between the years) so that I could keep my memory sharp and focused on the whirlpool of the events.

What a waste of time. In the end nothing made sense so eventually I did see the sessions once again for nothing. I would suggest leaving the last episode out and try to find yourself the answers would be much more entertaining end thrilling. After all, I don't like the purgatory idea and I would like to add one more question to the plate of the common questions left opened.

Who the hell is Charles Widmore and how the hell did he get his role?

The Ultimate Con

Author: romanos_georgiou from United Kingdom
20 May 2010

There is a place where dreams are born. And in that place the most beautiful wishes are granted and the darkest nightmares emerge. While watching "Lost" one gets captivated by the character development and the labyrinthine storytelling, all the twists and turns and cliffhangers and surprises, all the sorrow and the remorse and the guilt and the need for redemption that comes along with the main characters and their lives. All the mysteries in the world don't stand a chance when the writing is thorough and solid, when the protagonists are suffering and can't find a way out and you feel like suffering alongside with them, when supporting characters have a distinct persona of their own and their flashbacks or flash forwards are captivating to the hungry eye. And here lies the biggest problem with this much loved TV show. The core of the story, as seasons and years went by, seemed to be twisting in it's axis and changing rotation. From the brilliantly written characters and the mysteries that surrounded them, both on and outside the island, the story of "Lost" became the story of some mysteries that involved the same characters the viewer had learn to love and follow. The story of Jack, Kate, Sawyer, Hurley, Jin, Sun, Locke and all the others gradually became the story of the Man in Black and Jacob. It is essential to understand the dynamics of the storyline and the mythology of a narrative that, from beginning to end, stays true to its audience. "Lost", in its final season, wanted to have a look behind the curtain and see the wizard, to open the box and show the world that all the answers were there. Finally, the curtain fell and the box opened; and there where no more dreams and no more wishes and no more nightmares. It is the destiny of a story that reaches the end. The ultimate con of a once glorious piece of art that had a beginning, a middle, but not an end; and in the final act did not have the courage to stand in front of the mirror and ask: Is there any greater mystery than the mystery which stays unsolved? And, as Jacob put it, "It only ends once".

Season 1: 8/10 Season 2: 9/10 Season 3: 9/10 Season 4: 8/10 Season 5: 8/10 Season 6: 2/10

I'm LOST for words about how great this series is

Author: reneweddan from United States
31 October 2010

I can't believe I haven't written a review of this series yet, but I figured it long overdue.

I tuned into this series quite late because I wasn't into all of the hype it was receiving, plus I prefer to watch quality shows when I can run a marathon of them. Needless to say, I burnt through seasons 1-5 in about a week and a half, and am currently working my way through season 6.

This series questions all of those questions a real intellectual might have. The reasons of existence, freewill vs destiny, time travel, philosophy, human instincts, humanity, probability, conspiracy, and so so so much more.

If you have even the slightest inclination to watch this film, do yourself a favor and set up a quick and basic schedule on how and when to watch the series with the most fun possible. Perhaps every Friday through Sunday night with popcorn and some of your best pals, but be warned, once you start, you might not be able to control the vast array of awesomeness that is Lost.

Although this series never gets dull, there might be times where you question whether or not you should spend time continuing, so keep in mind that everything has a purpose, your mind is supposed to work as you watch, and that this series will always allow for interesting conversations as it is our generation's classic.

Enjoy every minute of this series, and when you're done, your perspective of quality will drastically change, it'll be like box wine to 1985 Marilyn Merlot (guaranteed).

Plot Gimmicks Point In One Direction

Author: Al Azose from Van Nuys, California
14 February 2006

And that direction is down. WAY down. The only viable explanation at this point for all of these totally weird plot anomalies is that all of the survivors are dead and in Hell. It's a classic Hollywood copout. The writers have dug so many plot holes that any attempt now to explain these mysteries in the real world would be far-fetched and ludicrous. Thus, being in Hell as an "explanation" eliminates the need to connect the monsters, the black horse, the polar bear, the "Others", the Dharma Initiative, and all the other mysteries of the island. According to the rules of Hollywood scriptwriting, if you're in Hell anything goes and doesn't need explaining. But it's still a copout. Of course, they can always resort to that other Hollywood copout: It was just a dream.

The show is still fun to watch but it would have been so much more enjoyable if the mysteries had a believable, logical explanation in the real world. If they're not in Hell, why are the writers so reluctant to reveal any mysteries? Two puzzling but less obvious mysteries: (1) Why didn't Hurley lose weight after eating nothing but nuts and fruits (at least before he found that food stash in the hatch)? (2) Why didn't the raft crew attempt to circumnavigate the island instead of heading out to sea? They may have found a luxury resort on the other side where the locals would have said, "Oh, we don't go to that part of the island. It's private property owned by an eccentric billionaire named Zeke Dharma".

If you care about important questions a show poses being answered, avoid this show!

Author: Bobby Sanders from United States
23 November 2012

Since Lost has wrapped up some time ago, I write this review in the hopes that it might have some influence on those that had missed it and want to go back and watch the series. I recently heard someone suggest to a friend that they go back and watch the show, so I feel the need to hit on the main weaknesses that I saw with the show. I preface my review by saying that I have watched almost every single episode of Lost from beginning to end, with the exception of a few episodes in season 5 when I could barely stomach continuing to watch the show. Although many might say that the show was about "developing" the characters, I will only examine the flaws in the overall plot of the show.

First, if you are the type of person who likes questions/mysteries for the sole sake of presenting them, then this is quite frankly the show for you. However, if you expect more than a completely half *ssed attempt to address the questions once posed, avoid this show like the plague. Maybe it's just me, but I believe that the whole point of highlighting important questions/mysteries is the attempt to try to explain these topics to best of one's ability. Since I don't have days to point out each plot inconsistency or unanswered questions/mysteries, I will try to sum up the plot via analogy. Imagine you have a 1000 page murder mystery book that starts out following a detective that is trying to solve a case involving a rapist-murder. After spending about 500 pages laying down clues the detective follows and it feels that the case will be solved and everything will come together and make sense, the detective all of a sudden catches another completely unrelated case and then dedicates all of his time and effort to solving case 2. The book then spends the next 498 pages almost strictly focusing on the second case while from time to time making enough references to the 1st case to make you think the writer will eventually come back to it by the end of the book. Now for the grand finale, in the last 2 pages, the detective hears that both murders were picked up randomly for jaywalking by a beat officer and then both confessed to their crimes voluntarily. The book then ends without bothering to answer why the killers committed the crimes in the first place and offers a half *ssed attempt to explain the relevance of 20% of the clues, while acting like 80% of the other clues just didn't exist. Add 10,000 more pages, 40 characters (half of which you ask why they were even included), and 200 more unanswered clues/questions/mysteries, and you have Lost.

It became rather obvious to me halfway through the series that the writers had absolutely no idea where the show was going and were using the idea that if we throw a bunch of *hit against the wall, maybe some of it will stick. My belief is the reason why the writers refused to answer any of the questions they posed is that they didn't want to box themselves in and they wanted to draw the show out as long as possible and continue to keep the money flowing in. Lots of people will tell you that each scene had meaning, but at no point in time do the writers actually demonstrate what they believe or think are the actually meanings behind these scenes. The writers merely leave it up to the viewer to fill in the lion's share of the meaning behind the show, which is why everyone and their mothers have a different hypothesis about where the show was going/went. I admit that I like movies and shows that keep you guessing or have you fill in a few holes at the end that result from a well laid plot, but I find it the hallmark of lazy and incompetent writing when the viewers are expected to try to answer almost every question posed. I am all for show/movies that make the audience think, but this method of script writing should never alleviate the burden of writers having to think. I believe the reason why so many people liked the show is that I think they give the writers way too much credit and think that they had a deeper meaning behind everything they did. It seemed to me around season 3 or 4, the writers were so lost in convoluted plot lines that went nowhere, they decided to ask a bunch of 6th graders where they think the show should go. In an attempt not to hurt any of the 6th graders' feelings, despite the fact that most plot lines didn't make sense or fit together, they decided to incorporate all of them with the brilliant idea of when one has run its course, just throw in another to distract the audience from the fact that none of the earlier 200 mysteries/questions were ever addressed. Bottom line, I felt cheated out of the time it took to watch the entire series, and if you expect the plot of a story to make sense and loose ends to be wrapped up, you will feel cheated too.

Overall, I felt fairly insulted by the writers who seemed to believe that either I forgot most of what happened in the show or I would unquestionably accept the pathetically few incoherent answers they offered. While I found the characters to be bland and sometimes completely pointless, others may find that this aspect of the show makes up for the rest of the nonsense that was vomited onto scripts and shoveled into our living rooms. The best advice I can give at this point, if you think that you can't handle the issues I raised, don't suffer through the entire show like me waiting for a coherent explanation for 80% what happened over the course of the series.

Good, bad and ultimately, indifferent

Author: criticman2000 from United States
1 September 2005

I hate soap operas. A lot of people say that, then, they spend a few days at home, sick, or on a dull vacation watching them and they get hooked. No chance of that ever happening with me. Soap operas have pacing based on commerce. They drag out the goods at a snail's pace so you can watch the car ads, again and again and again and again. This is the problem with "Lost". It drags on and on and on and on, due to limited availability of pertinent information, and an aching desire to sell products. There are flashbacks aplenty. Do they have anything to do with the current plot? That depends on which 'theory site' you go to, and yeah, you definitely need to use one with this show. But "Lost" is not without its merits. The cast is excellent and there is a healthy dose of suspense. Terry O'Quinn, in particular, chews scenery like nobody's business, but then he's always been great for that. Why he hasn't gotten more work, is beyond me. Jorge Garcia, as well, is remarkable; he's got real presence, he commands each scene he's in, struggling to give us something to believe in. Everyone is quite good and the setups are at the very least, intriguing. But the other side of the coin contains flying stuffed animals, looking very much like flying stuffed animals, ridiculous red herrings, plot lines that pop-up, then disappear for weeks at a time... . You need to be taking notes, believe me. And then, there are the things which make no sense whatsoever, such as, whatever happened to the bulk of the survivors? All this is stylishly designated to keep you coming back. If it's worked it's magic, more power to you. I find the whole thing manipulative and ultimately annoying, but reserved my opinion until I could watch the finale, which was frankly, lame and disappointing, framed by more promo lies stating, "many questions will be answered". It was busy enough, it also delivered more query and little conclusion. I also wanted to reserve judgment until I could catch up on episodes I may have missed, due to the on again, off again scheduling of the show. I caught myself up finally, tonight; with the recap of Hurley's story, incidentally, one of the most satisfying episodes I saw. The show has a lot going for it and it knows it, which makes the situation even less endurable, because I am certain, that at the end of next season, we'll still be scratching our heads and wondering what the hell all this is about. I hate soap operas because I hate being messed with.