IMDb > "Lost" (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Lost"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings

"Lost" More at IMDbPro »

Page 18 of 75: [Prev][13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [Next]

exceptionally amazing television drama

Author: pandora487 from United States
31 October 2006

Great drama and amazing character developments...are they in purgatory or part of a human experiment...it's enthralling! The plots and twists are well contrived and Hurley's voice as the audience is a wonderfully conceived. Any up and coming writer should take notes and anyone who has yet to view this brainchild of the co-creators should rent the prior seasons before delving into this paradise "lost" island atmosphere. Kudos to everyone who continues to make this show one of the most intellectually and morally stimulating dramas to date! I can't wait to see what the writers come up with next or how the actors and directors will choose the tone of the next episode.

One of the Greatest Shows of All-Time

Author: Connor Scribner (DCMarvel18) from United States
2 September 2012

Back in 2004 when I watched the Pilot for Lost, I thought the show had no potential, just another disaster show that would last 2 maybe 3 seasons. Now in 2012, 2 years after the show ended, I realize I was completely wrong. Lost has a twist and turn every episode and will want to keep you watching and guessing every episode until the series finale. If you just start watching the show and don't like it just yet, give it a chance till about season 3 or 4 and then make your decision. It might leave you with more questions than answers every episode and make your brain explode, but stick it out and all will be answered. Lost has an amazing cast and storyline that's dramatic, confusing, intense, and of course, mind-blowing! After 6 seasons this show comes to a end and I still cry every time I watch the finale. Lost will forever go down as my favorite show of all time and one of the greatest shows of all time!

Where is the real season-6 ???

Author: dollarbillsemail from New Jersey
10 December 2010

I've been around since the inception of broadcast television and consider "Lost" to be the best written and produced show ever devised. That said,I have only one point of contention. Where is the real season-6. What we were served up as season-6 was actually season-7. We're missing the real season-6 that bridges the gap between what happened in season-5 and what took place in the final season. Yes,the show was character driven. However,the main attraction of the show were it's revolving mysteries. After season-5,all of the mysteries were dropped. As to why,is the biggest mystery of all. Those unresolved mysteries,too numerous to mention,confounded and wrangled viewers to no end. While I thought that the show's finale episode was great and left viewers satisfied,no matter which character or characters were your favorites,I also felt that the entire final season was very rushed. I have a theory on this. I suspect that the network could no longer absorb the high production costs of a show of this type,and said "We'll give you one more season. Wrap it up". And so,that's what they did. As for the consequences of the network not producing the real season-6 for it's viewers? Well,Clint Eastwood had an appropriate word for it in his movie "Heartbreak Ridge".

This is the best I hope for any more.

Author: scottwallvashon from United States
19 December 2008

This is a marvelous show and it has greatly renewed my confidence in the ability of the networks and television in general to tell a story.

I am one of the people who didn't start watching it until it was well under way, so I had to catch up by renting out DVD's through Netflix.

The mystery is intriguing and the characters are compelling. Admittedly, they are a bit stereotypical, but that's the best I hope for any more. At least it is real TV and not reality. I wish it moved a little faster. They seem to spend a whole episodes just setting up one minor teaser for the next episode. I can't imagine how anyone has been able to watch this one episode at a time, one hour at a time, for years on end. I have had the benefit of seeing the whole thing in just a couple of months. I would have gone crazy constantly waiting for the resolution of every minor teaser.

I'm surprised this was put on by ABC. I would have expected it more from the SciFi Channel. Of course, the SciFi Channel would have dropped it after the pilot for one reason or another. They are all pathological losers over there. Otherwise, they would have done something with "The Lost Room".

My fear is that the mystery is phony and they are just making things up as they go along. I guess, even if that turns out to be true, I will have spent a lot of enjoyable hours pondering it. Please, God, don't let it turn out to be one of the standard science fiction clichés. Anything but that!

June 1, 2010 (after the series finale): It turned out that they were mostly making things up as they went along; and the ending was definitely cliché. No point in rationalizing—the whole series was what Sawyer would call a "long con".

Suspenseful Drama That Keeps Viewers In Search Of Answers (Highly Addictive)

Author: Jimmy L. from Upstate New York
13 September 2008

Passengers miraculously survive a horrific plane crash and are stranded on a desert island that is more than it seems.

LOST combines thrilling suspense with emotional drama to tell the story of the survivors' plight. The show uses flashback sequences to bring depth to the characters and flesh out backstories. The flashbacks often parallel the primary action on the island and each character gets his or her own episode.

The show focuses on a dozen or so of the forty-something survivors, who seem to be the only ones doing anything meaningful. Among the survivors are a surgeon who takes on the leadership role (Matthew Fox), a technology expert from Iraq (Naveen Andrews), and a spiritual hunting and survival specialist (Terry O'Quinn).

LOST is one long story, cut up into episodes for the viewer's convenience. The story starts in the pilot episode and continues all the way through. The episodes are like chapters in a book that is still being written. There's no telling how it will end. Episodes end in cliff-hangers, giving the show its addictive quality.

The show is well-written, with elements thrown into the story whose explanations come episodes later. The flashbacks and exposition make everything fit together seamlessly.

The characters are conveniently and improbably connected through their backstories, but maybe fate drew them together. There's still a mysterious air of the supernatural surrounding the events on the island. (Some dialogue even acknowledges the improbability or preposterousness of certain circumstances in the show.) There's some violence and gore and horror and tragedy, but the majority of the show revolves around mystery and emotion. You feel for the characters and you want to learn the truth behind everything.

The island itself is full of secrets, which unfold over time. Are the survivors really alone? What kind of island IS this? You have to keep watching to find out.

I usually don't go for the heavy, emotional dramas or the hour-long shows. I like lighter fare. But my friends drew me into LOST and I can't stop watching it. I want to know what happens next.

LOST thrives on its ability to keep viewers in suspense, waiting for the answers. I don't know if LOST is the kind of show you can watch over and over again, but you've got to see it the first time.

"Lost" is a thrilling and very entertaining drama

Author: chrichtonsworld from Netherlands
14 April 2007

The first episode immediately gave a good impression what to expect from the series! Mysteries waiting to be solved and a lot of good drama! I love the fact that they gradually reveal the stories concerning the characters! Explaining just enough to stay excited! Of course this show has some flaws! In the first two series there are some characters who for some reason don't show up in the third season! Many of the characters have a decent sent off but some of them just aren't there! Like Rose and her husband! Where the hell are they? What happened to them? Maybe they will return in later episodes! But it is a little inconsistent! That being said "Lost" manages to be thrilling every episode(especially the first two seasons)! That is a very hard thing to do! I do notice that in the third season the focus is more on character development than the mystery aspects of the show! This is not a bad thing! It even saves some episodes from getting boring! One of the elements that can be considered the strength of this show are the wonderful characters! You will grow to love these characters! Good or bad! But eventually I will want to see some mysteries to be solved and get closure! The danger of "Lost" getting canceled due to declining ratings is near! And that would be devastating!

Fed Up

Author: umair-64126 from Pakistan
14 August 2015

I am fed up of the same writing way of American serial writers. They always try to to extend the play by adding characters and stretching the story line unnecessarily. You will always have a jack(good guy) You will always have a Sawyer(bad boy) But both are working together in broad sense. Every new character is introduced strongly and it loses its worth as play moves on.(Ana Lucia, Juliet, Eko, Tom) Ben type characters continues to win because writers have to stretch the story with their win. Original story fade away. Many a things remain unexplained or a lame explanation is provided. When a serial becomes predictable because of these and many other reasons then they kill some main/good character to make it unpredictable.

Write something new man!

Enjoyable and well done if you watch it up to Season 4.

Author: Erasmus_Craven from United States
14 December 2013

It is a wonderful show if you watch it up to the end of season 4 and then make up your own existential ending. Avoid watching season 6. Accept season 4 as the ending, ponder and make up your own answers to what could have happened, and you'll appreciate the show. Season 5 ties into season 6. Season 6 is just a flop, a total disappointment.

Four stars are deducted for a lack of imagination and poor writing after season 4.

Well written up to season 4, tremendous acting by Terry O'Quinn and Michael Emerson.

If you buy the disc set just toss the two discs that have season 5 and 6. If you buy the discs separately you are able to save yourself some money by not needing to buy two more discs.

Best TV Show Iv ever seen

Author: Jack Thompson from United Kingdom
26 April 2012

This is the best TV show I have ever seen, and most likely the best I will ever see in my lifetime. Iv never dedicated my time to a TV show like I did with LOST, I instantly feel in love with the characters, and as each season I saw, I got even more attached to the characters, why ? There stories, there struggle, there redemption. But there's more to LOST than just great characters, there's mysteries, like the smoke monster, the others, the dharma initiative, Jacob and MIB (man in black). While a lot of people would like all these mysteries solved, LOST will not solve them all, it will answer questions, and it will leave questions unanswered. LOST has action, mystery, romance, drama, comedy, it will make you laugh, cry, scream, drop your jaw..it will blow your mind.

Twilight Zone of the South Pacific 21st century variety

Author: MisterWhiplash from United States
22 June 2009

Lost is a show I didn't watch for quite a few years. Not because I don't watch TV or notice that it's a science-fiction/adventure serial that has galvanized a big section of the masses, but because for a while I just didn't have the time. It's hard sometimes to commit to a show, even if it, you know, is available on DVD and online and you hear great buzz from friends and people you trust on the internet. So, after putting it off, I dug into season one about a month ago. It's a month later, and I'm up through season four, devouring whole seasons in a weekend's time and thirsty for more. Lost isn't crack, but there's something in the water that I've been drinking. It is one of the most accomplished, intelligent mystery shows ever created.

Mystery, I say, utmost over adventure or action. The island that Oceanic Flight 815 crashes on, and the aftermath with the survivors and their battle to get off the island and whatever it/they/who/Gods/Devils(?) are is nothing short of captivating. Even on an episode here and there that aren't completely dramatically strong or when the writers feel the need to add that big TWIST or REVEAL or moment of whimsy, the things that do work rarely ever change. I was happily surprised, too, to not come across the hype of some folks online regarding season 3's dip in quality for a while... or was i season 2? At any rate, the mysteries that unfold, one looping into another and another, one trail leading off into some other possibility - all chances, mayhap, being pulled by the strings of Benjamin Linus, one of those truly chilling villains like a steel-eyed Emperor Palpatine minus lightning bolts - make one only want to watch more and more, to discover what secrets may be... even if, perhaps, the reveal may not live to the hype, though it usually does.

It's popular entertainment to be sure (it's on ABC after all, and for all of its rough and violent action and the occasional "sonofabitch" line) but aimed at an audience interested in stories that concern equally with plot, if not more, with character. The standard goes like this: present-tense plot, flashback, present tense, flashback. On occasion, such as a particularly awesome reveal about the full nature of time travel in season four (yes, time travel, and not at 1.21 Gigawats of electricity), we get more calibrated devices for moving the story back and forth, but for the most part it's one character's show, actually, per episode. It's a brilliant balancing act that goes on for as long as it does and doesn't lose interest. We want to know everything possible about Jack, Kate, Hurley, Sawyer, Locke, Sun, Desmond, even that bug-eyed, effective-Lucifer Linus.

The writers, including people who have proved themselves many times over like Damon Lindelof, Drew Goddard and Abrams himself once or twice, provide an audience that sticks with it many pleasures, but the only downside is that, as with a comic-book series, you have to stick with it *all* the way, and here and there a contradiction might pop up that makes you think "hey, did that character really say or do that, hm." And in a weird way it almost comes to an advantage that I ended up watching them in blocks of time, like going through graphic novel collections at a pace that would pause a coke freak. It's that addictive, and it's perhaps no wonder why fans froth at the mouth awaiting each new episode, with the buzz piling high at the nano-second an episode ends.

It's a consistent fishing reel of a tale; and, luckily, a mythology grows and deepens with each season, and one starts to grow paranoid about the whole affair with the ultimate question: why are they there and no one can find them? It's a question, among countless others poised directly or indirectly on Lost, that would make Rod Serling beam with joy.