IMDb > "Lost" (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Lost" More at IMDbPro »

Page 11 of 72: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [Next]

After Season 5, there is no way that Season 6 can resolve the story

Author: billk51 from United States
13 January 2010

Sawyer just appeared on Ellen's talk show and said that with only six or seven episodes left to film he still couldn't make any sense out of the story.

The writers blew it in season 5 when, instead of starting to wind down the already mega-complicated plot, they introduced new characters, live and dead, new relationships and above all brought in time-travel to make the science fiction element of LOST predominant. This led to two and three story lines proceeding at the same time in different years.

A sign of writer fatigue was in the last episode when Sayid, an Iraqi torturer with no known degree from a prestigious university, became the world's quickest study on nuclear physics. Reading from Faraday's notebook he figured out how to extract the core of the H-bomb and set it to detonate on impact (which, from my moderate knowledge of such bombs, is impossible).

Still one of the memorable series in TV history, but I'm afraid it will be known as a series the writers let get away from them.

well-made but ultimately tiresome

Author: postmanwhoalwaysringstwice from usa
25 September 2006

"Lost" has been one of the biggest television phenomenons to come in a long time. It has become a huge monetary winning for ABC and is likely one of the biggest commodities on television. It has a huge following as can be seen on IMDb as well as any number of fansites and magazines. There are a lot of aspects at every stage of the game that will likely be taught in broadcasting schools.

The truth is that the actual show collapses underneath all of the hype. Actually viewing "Lost" away from the hype and attempting to view it on it's own merit is near impossible. The show itself is not necessarily deserving of more than accolades in marketing and an above average delivery of a deliberately convoluted idea.

It's structured in the vein of the Saturday afternoon cliffhanger serial, as each episode ends with the expectation the viewer HAS to watch the following week. And so forth. The real trick behind this one is that very little occurs during each episode, the plot drudges along at a snail's pace and theoretically (like "X-Files") the truth is out there. The well-known plot line deals with the survivors of an airline crash on an island that had all been drawn to Australia prior to their ill-fated flight. The episodes are comprised of flashbacks of the characters crosscut with occasionally similarly themed issues occurring on the mysterious island.

The part that future broadcasters should learn is that somehow the show can be everything to everyone. If people are looking for mystery, intrigue, and a pi like string of puzzles to become perplexed by, then this is their baby. If viewers are looking for more about their favorite characters, just wait because there's likely an episode focused solely on them down the road. If folks are in need of spirituality, there's a running theme here as well.

The real problem is that it's really just entertainment and nothing more. The people involved behind the scenes are very shrewd, very clever manipulators of information who dole it out like a pharmacist might. That part is genius. The show itself is not.

The Best Show Ever

Author: Erekle Antadze from Georgia
5 November 2009

Well, I Watched all 5 seasons now and I can say it's the best TV Series I Have Ever Seen... It's getting better every season... like the 5th season was best! and there is only 1 season left and I Can't wait until February... it has almost 40 Emmy nominations as you can see, and it has a really good cast and a very unpredictable plot! when 5th season and I Was In Shock, because I could't imagine end like this, it was something... so if you don't know watch this show or not then don't think twice it is the best show you can ever see! so it will get you involved and you will want to watch next episode! you will become lostoholic like I'm :)) series get 10 out 10 because it's real masterpiece! I Hope they won't ruin it with last season!

You'd either love Lost, or find it frustrating... or both.

Author: Vivian M. Grey from Thailand
15 February 2009

With credited writings, acting, screening, cameras, stunning visual effects and beautiful locations... Lost is meant to be found by audiences of television.

It is an epic saga sliced & diced into to a million pieces, flashing bits of it here and there hoping for the best that the lame segments will carry their duties in dragging out the show.

A labyrinth story told in a week, but insert some pain resistant secret islanders from Her Majesty's SAS and this will cause severe plot-choking, preventing any answers from ever emerging.

Allowing lies to go on and on unpunished and install another major wiz of incompetent info-sharing between characters... and voila! It is no wonder they keep getting Lost. Have a meeting once a week at least, share some info and this will really save them, but noooooooooooooooo.

The highlight of this show to me was when lies and falsified information (either from stupidity or mood-swings of the moment) led characters to their painful deaths. I look forward to this every week.

Lost is a jigsaw puzzle where the key pieces are never revealed easily and when asked, those pieces conveniently slip away. I am hooked and frustrated at the same time, but there aren't much out there of interest. The good thing is I get bored very easily. It's my specialty.

The most original, complex and mysterious story you can watch

Author: SaUrn_omega from Romania
14 April 2009

Just spectacular! I started watching Lost first out of boredom, but it shortly became an obsession.All the details matter.You start creating your own theories and ideas and try to predict what's going to happen.I wasn't much right.For those who want to stop watching it because at a certain point it seems that most are explained, i would like to say: JUST WAIT! 10/10 I applaud the writers for thinking of such a storyline.It's just brilliant and exciting.Most episodes have cliffhangers that leave you shocked and wishing the week will pass quicker so you can see what happens.What i wish now is that the finale will be the cream of the crop, because the disappointment would be gigantic for the fans who watch the show over and over hoping to see an extra hint.

Oh, for what could have been!

Author: correcamino from Potomac River
17 November 2004

First of all, guess who survives the plane crash? Only those between the ages of 20 and 35. Yes, the odd over and under slip past, but you get the idea. Make-up? Intact! Hair? Never greasy or disheveled! Temperament? Smooth sailing. Someone wrote a review that said how great Lost is because there's never any mugging for the camera. I'm not sure what that person meant, but there are lots and lots of clichés and whatever the au courant, hyper sarcastic jargon is these days, it's used. In spades. The whole idea behind the show is so terrific, and that is what compounds the disappointment. Nevertheless, I hang on, hoping week after week for a glimmer of realized potential. But mostly I come away with scenes, dialogue, characters that bug the living *@&*& out of me. Can't we - once and for all - ban the word 'dude?' As for the overweight guy, wouldn't someone with such an obviously high caloric intake at some point or another be manic for food? For that matter, where's everyone's temper, their despair? It's quite the opposite for Kate, the young American who now has three men digging her. It seems like the writers decided that being stranded on an island without food, electricity etc is a great place for people to get in touch with their issues, neatly resolve them with each other, helping each other. It's like a bunch of short story writers met one weekend in Vermont, read each other their stories and then a panel selected their most vivid characters, put them on a plane, and had it crash on a far-off island. (The pop psychologists took it from there.) Not one character's life was dull, they all had super charged emotional issues to wrangle with, or else fantastic life stories, like Said's. Speaking of Said, I at first found it a tad cruel and ironic that the writers gave the lone Muslim on the show a history of using torture. Nevertheless, up to this point (November), he is one of the show's most compelling characters. Overall: B-

I deserve more?Don't you?

Author: Cest_la_vie_2006 from Strawberry
23 December 2006

This show is so overrated! When i think of this film i can't help but imagine bad acting.And the plot can be summed up in a few words- nothing original only clichés.Tried to make Kate,Sowyer and Jack look cool but they are predictable and pitiful.Actually their characters are based on their looks only. Save for that the actors and especially Mathew Foxx should take some very serious acting lessons,who knows one day can become mediocre. One may say I'm fastidious but i swear my 80-year old grandfather can make a better film! Season one was very good but the second season is terrible and i don't really want to imagine how bad season 3 is.Do you honestly get scared when watching it?! Yet another proof that money is not enough when other things lack. J.J. Abrams why don't you fix it? Or the huge audience will be "Lost"?

Absolute masterpiece.The best TV show.

Author: TsChala from Romania
24 October 2015

The best TV show I have ever seen. Lost has a very interesting storyline, of course there are a lot of unanswered questions or holes, but in my opinion they are all part of the magic. Lost has a really magical atmosphere, it can not be described accurately. The characters are in the center of everything, their drama is beautifully unfolded in the course of the 6 seasons. Practically at the end of the show I felt like I have lost some of my friends, some say that the ending is not good enough, but in my opinion it is just perfect. It really hit me emotionally. I was happy and sad at the same time, I cannot compare any other show to this masterpiece. Somehow the Breaking Bad is the closest to Lost for me,with strong characters, science and real drama. No matter what preferences do you have, I am sure you will be addicted to this legendary cinematic experience.

A must watch show without thinking much.

Author: lohiatherockstarshivam
5 August 2013

one of the best TV series i have ever seen. If you planning to watch it then don't think much just give it a try and i promise you wont regret. Its rating should me 8.7 according to me but as it isn't famous and that is why it got 8.3. The story line is amazing and addictive. After watching two season you will get attached to it and fall in love with this show madly. I recommend you to watch it. Don't look anywhere else after reading this review just trust me and give it a try. You will thank me later on. The characters are perfect for playing the roles they are given. Watching the first 3 episodes will force you to watch the whole season and then all the seasons.

Edge of your seat fun

Author: Cheddarcob17 from United States
5 June 2013

LOST is a show that dives deep into science fiction and makes your head spin with unexpected twists and crazy theories about life, destiny, and even time. In the later seasons it takes a turn toward the mythological and philosophical and it gives the show even more of the mystery feeling than you had before.

The writing is incredible as everything ties together and everything matters. The show makes you do your homework though you have to really think hard about some of the small things going on to understand there answer in the end and trust me I've watched the complete series 5 times. EVERYTHING is answered everything. It is an amazing ride and if you really understand it then it could really make you think about certain things in your life.

Also the acting is excellent by the entire cast. There isn't one weak actor in the bunch and that includes the non recurring role actors. If I had to rank the top 3 performances throughout the show it'd be in this order 1) Henry Ian Cusick though he isn't in season 1. He's just great as Desmond, perfect pick to play the character. 2) Josh Holloway who plays Sawyer, he has the most deep seeded character and shows more range than the other actors 3) Naveen Andrews brings a charm and calmness to an otherwise crazy and out of control character in Sayid