IMDb > "Clubhouse" (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Clubhouse" More at IMDbPro »

Pulled too quick

Author: ump28 from Las Vegas, NV
20 November 2004

From the beginning, I liked the show despite the flaws. I am not some teenage kid in love with Jeremy. I am a mid 30's man. The point being is that the show could have been written better but had some moral points that are identical to today. I read the post about drinking beer in a stadium. Come on! Kids at 16 years old are doing this. Is it right? NO. I like the show and wish that CBS would make more of an attempt in making it a success. This show and other shows like 7th Heaven and Everwood depict normal family life in their own unique way. I like watching shows like the CSI series or NYPD blue but I also like a break from immoral type lifestyles to more family and kid friendly shows. In the episode with the hazing and Jeremy kissing and drinking beer, a very fundamental and important lesson that all children should learn from is despite all of the hazing and being punched in the mouth, he did not resort to violence to get even. Placing the other guys necklace where he did may not have been right but not physical revenge was used. Maybe some other network will pick up this show and give it a chance that it deserves.

Clubhouse hits a home run!

Author: aussipride42 (aussipride42@yahoo.com)
8 October 2004

Ever since I discovered Jeremy Sumpter was the star of 'Clubhouse' I was hooked. I was excited for the premier, and it was amazing. I discovered that Jeremy isn't just super hot, but hes an amazing actor, too. He makes his character completely realistic and I love his facial expressions. When he was crying in the pilot, I cried too. The rest of the cast is amazing, too. Kirsten Storms' character; Betsy, adds humor to the show with her drinking problem and disregard for the rules. The only thing that annoyed be about the first two episodes, was how similar they were. In both, Pete was put in a situation where he has to decide whether to help the team, and possibly get in trouble, or stay out of it and become hated by them. If the show continues like this, I can see the ratings going down. Overall, Clubhouse is a great original show for everyone, its definitely different from the typical teen dramas. From the die-hard baseball fans, to the squealing fangirls, Clubhouse can be enjoyed by all.

Better than a lot of stuff out there - especially reality TV

Author: bsl05 from Dallas, TX
27 September 2004

This show has a few clichés and a few over the top, Dawson's Creek-like moments (a 16-year-old talking about way back when life made sense?), but overall it seems like a decent show. Most of the characters seem very real, and the story seemed to move along well in the pilot - ending with a good lesson in the end. I just hope every episode doesn't turn out to be life-altering like the first, that would just be too much drama for this vehicle. Jeremy Sumpter does an excellent job as a teenager with a passion for baseball, I believe a lot of us could relate to his awe and sometimes tunnel vision for the team that he always wanted to a part of.

i saw the premiere last night... sooo good.. i think I'm hooked

Author: gymnastbabe27 (gymnastbabe27@aol.com)
27 September 2004

me and my sister saw the premiere last night... it was so good we were glued for the whole thing.. hahaha..i think I'm hooked for the season!!.... they have some really good actors in this thing.. the head coach guy and the player that likes pete were very good and the plot has already got me but i don't really understand how they'll keep it stretched for a whole season.. there will probably be some big twist tho..i cant wait till Tuesday.. finally Jeremy sumpter who is he? i can tell hes going to be big!! he was soo good we fell in love with his character right away.. cant wait for the next episode.. GO Jeremy!

'Aimee

if you liked Clubhouse, check out the book it was based on!!

Author: jeffreydamico from United States
21 November 2005

CBS pulled the plug on Clubhouse way too early. A friend gave me the book that Clubhouse was based on. It's called "BAT BOY" by a guy named Matt McGough who was actually a bat boy for the Yankees. It just came out a few months ago, after the show got cancelled (kind of weird timing). As good as the show was, the book is even better.

A lot of the stories from Clubhouse seem like they came straight from the book -- the prank the players pulled on Pete his first day of work, and the potato cannon, and meeting girls at Yankee Stadium, and lots of other inside stories about the Yankees locker room and growing up in New York. Not much about his sister Betsy the JD, but that was actually my least favorite part of the show by far.

I even met Matt at a reading he did in New York last weekend. He didn't know if they're planning on releasing Clubhouse on DVD. But he did say that the book has a website, www.batboybook.com, and that he'd try to post any update.

Check it out if you haven't all ready...

Author: rlo157 from Carrsville, VA
3 October 2004

This is a good family show with a great cast of actors. It's a nice break from the reality show blitz of late. There is nothing else quite like it on television right now either, unless you count Joan of Arcadia as being similar because it has a teen lead character too. Anyway, Clubhouse is worth a look because Jeremy Sumpter gives the main character (Pete Young) a kind of likability and naiveté that is appealing without being overly sweet and cuddly. Dean Cain, Christopher Lloyd, Mare Winningham and Kirsten Storms round out the rest of the main cast members, and each is terrific in their role. I really like Kirsten Storms as Pete's sister Betsy; she is quite a pill, but she still cares about her mom and brother, even though she hates to show it. It may take a few episodes to really find it's legs, but Clubhouse is easily one of the best shows to come along in a good long while, so check it out people--you'll be glad you did!

Clubhouse.

Author: boulevard_of_broken_dreams5 from Canada
29 December 2004

I think that Clubhouse was a very well thought out good T.V. show and I am sad to here that people think that about it...I think it has potential to go on. Clubhouse has many very good actors including Jeremy Sumpter... I think that canceling this show is a bad thing for him along with all the other good actors in this T.V. show. If you could just understand that putting this show down isn't very respectful and i ask people not to do it. Clubhouse IS a good T.V. show and should remain on T.V. for a while to see if people pick up on it and have more advertising that its there... Not a lot of people knew about it...Make it more known if you want it to succeed. Thank you for letting me comment...comment me back if it is in anyway possible.

Good show and will only get better...

Author: rlo157 from Carrsville, VA
1 October 2004

To anyone who might think this show isn't for them, please give it a try. Network television has degenerated into shows that are clones of clones or are reality based shows featuring some often unreal people. This show is a return to family oriented TV where the emphasis is on learning some life lessons, learning what real friends and family are about, and maybe even learning a little bit about our national pastime. Jeremy Sumpter is one of the most appealing young actors in show business today, and he is perfectly cast as the young, slightly naive new batboy for the fictional New York Empires (great name!). Dean Cain, Christopher Lloyd, Mare Winningham, and Kirsten Storms round out the main cast, and they are all exceptional. This show deserves a chance to catch on and be seen. Hopefully it will stick around for a few seasons and we can watch Pete Young (Sumpter's character) learn and grow.

Jeremy Sumpter & Hayden Christensen

Author: shulma2002 from New York City
23 May 2005

The young actor reminds me of actor Hayden Christensen, who plays Anakin Skywalker in the "Star Wars" films. Does anybody else see they resemble each other? I actually thought it was the same actor! This was a fine series. Some stories were corny but several were thought provoking. Two episodes come to mind. In one, Pete sees a player using drugs. He is seen and threatened by the player. Pete must decide whether to keep his mouth shut or tell. He decides to tell. He keeps his job and also wins the respect of the team. Another good episode was when Pete and his friend must undergo an initiation. Pete showed his integrity when his friend got hurt. This was a good series and like "American Dreams" on NBC, got canceled.

I have mixed feelings

Author: Neil Thompson (nptman) from Salt Lake City, Utah
8 November 2004

I've seen three episodes of "Clubhouse", and I honestly have mixed feelings. I think Jeremy S. has real talent (he's 15 for cryin' out loud!) But, the script has a few loose ends. I'm just not seeing a connection between these two teens. I like the family connection between Pete and his Mom, it's genuine. Pete driving the Ferrari was a bit much, though i bet he enjoyed it. LOL. Who wouldn't? Anyway, I just can't see what age group this show is appealing to. I guess everyone, not sure though. So bottom line: can't see a bright future for this show, but I still have hope. I'll be watching this Saturday to see if my opinion changes. It's got a touch of everything, but it's just not enough. It could still change, though. Good luck to "Clubhouse"!!