IMDb > "Blue Collar TV" (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Blue Collar TV"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Blue Collar TV" More at IMDbPro »

Meh...

Author: nocturnal-spork from United States
23 June 2006

The Blue Collar Comedy Tour was great. I sadly cannot say the same for Blue Collar TV.

I watched this show when it first came out, but I eventually stopped. When I watched an episode recently, I found it really wasn't too good. This show had SOME good moments, but overall it is disappointing. Many of the sketches are stupid and not in a funny sort of way. I think it could be better.

The show could do without Larry the Cable Guy giving his opinion on things. It could do without the redneck dictionary, too. It was amusing at first, but it is time for it to end.

Pathetic

Author: Nick Zbu from Michigan
12 January 2007

The entire appeal of the Blue Collar Comedy Tour itself was to reinforce an idea that most of America (read: the rural part) is exactly the same regardless of where you go. This idea also states that everybody in America, the world's melting pot, is eventually dissolved into a homogeneous mixture which constitutes what an American is and should be. And this American that comes out of this process follows a stereotype in which all men are Tim Taylor without the skinniness, all women are supercompetent workers that do no wrong, and all kids are smart and full of hijinks that lead to the hilarity of modern-day life.

In short, that premise is hollow. It assumes a fantasy ideal that is used to conform reality to it. And when a TV show assumes it and then goes from one comedian at a time speaking to a captive audience to putting it into skit form, it fails.

The sad truth about Blue Collar TV is that on top of the aforementioned assumption about American life, it's just not funny on top of it. The humor is one dimensional and stale and despite having the original producers/creators of MadTV is boring as anything. Essentially, if Home Improvement was turned into a skit show, it would be Blue Collar TV. There's just nothing here except indoctrination. And it's not even funny.

Never even laughed

Author: alabuszewski003 from United States
19 January 2005

Blue Collar TV is not funny. I tried to watch it, and I couldn't get myself to laugh if my life depended on it. I also don't understand what "get-r-done" means. I am from a rural area and I saw it spray painted on a snow plow. Every time I hear that Larry guy say get-r-done I want to scoop my eardrums out with a spoon. The comedy is just so bland and mediocre, it seems like they could have come up with something better. For instance, on the TV show, holding a pot on your head and calling yourself a "pothead" is not funny, it's just lame. I really don't like the redneck culture (if that's what you would call it), or the values or ideals of it, so maybe that's why I don't like it. I do respect other peoples opinions so if there are some who like it, so be it. I will stick to my Aqua Teen, Family Guy, Simpsons (such a classic), Venture Bros., etc, etc.

disappointing

Author: mike_ab_19m from Boston, MA
23 September 2004

I don't care for rednecks, only because most of the ones I've met hate everybody who is NOT a redneck. (notice I've said "most", so please, no hate mail...)

Nevertheless, I always liked Foxworthy, and thought his standup routine was smart and creative. I thought this show might have potential but the first episodes I saw -- I don't know which number they were, but they featured "lingerie" for older couples and the "You Might Be" movie trailer -- just weren't funny. Not at all. Not even clever. Another sketch involving Larry The Cable Guy reading a politically correct version of Little Red Riding Hood was just jaw-droppingly stupid. The sketch ostensibly was making fun of uptight PC-speak, but wound up revealing the prevalence of bigotry that the sketch writers feel is prevalent among blue collar types...i.e., "Native American Riding Hood" instead of "Red" Riding Hood.

Satire is one thing. Desperately trying to associate obscure and offensive terms with a poor attempt at wit is just embarrassing. Christ Almighty, do people still call Native Americans "Reds"?

Some of the comparisons between BCTV and SNL/MadTV are, I think, appropriate. But I would compare this disappointing series to a different, earlier attempt to glorify the unwashed masses. Anybody remember the rootin'-tootin' variety show called "Hee-Haw"? The major difference, however, is that Hee-Haw was REALLY about rednecks. The type that thinks that Blacks are monkeys, Jews have horns, and that the Confederacy will rise again. I see more of that in BCTV (though more muted) than anything actually "blue collar" oriented.

A better title for the show would be Redneck TV, since what they do has little in common with the typically urban culture of real blue collar America. I don't hate the show or the people involved, but I really hope they improve and find their niche. Foxworthy can do way better than this.

A Nice Little Show.

Author: General_G from United States
29 October 2005

Blue Collar TV is okay. I like that they don't focus in on the whole southern theme to far. It only gos to an extent. Some sketches aren't redneck or southern typed jokes. I like Gary Anthony Williams. Hes a funny guy. I originally know him from Malcolm in the Middle. I'm glad he got into sketch comedy now. My favorite cast member out of the blue collar gang is Bill Engvall. Hes been underrated and I really like his stand-up acts. It is kind of disappointing that Ron White isn't on the show. It just doesn't seem complete. He did guest star a couple of times at least. He should come back more often. I like there little thing at the end where there all together and Larrys got the guitar out. Those are usually good. I'm surprised there on the WB. You would think CBS or UPN would pick up something like that. Anyway, keep up the good work Blue Collar Gang!

The Blue Collar gang star in their own hilarious sketch show!

Author: SonicStuart from Kansas City, MO
21 April 2005

After the Blue Collar Comedy Tour Movies, Jeff Foxworthy, Larry the Cable Guy and Bill Engvall star in their own sketch show called Blue Collar TV. Although I wish that Ron White was on the show more often as a full-time cast member but he makes an appearance every now and then. I have liked the Blue Collar comedy team and their hilarious jokes and tours! Every episode opens with Jeff Foxworthy with an introduction and the sketches that are in every episode of the show is the Redneck Dictionary segments, the Blue Collar politically corrected fairy tales that Larry the Cable Guy reads to kids and at the end of every show Jeff, Bill and Larry come out and the audience asks them questions.This show also stars Brooke Dillman, Heath Hyche, Ashley Drane, Ayda Field, Peter Oldring and Gary Anthony Williams. This show is so hilarious and another one of my favorite sketch shows along with "Chappelle's Show", "SNL", "MadTV" and "Cedric the Entertainer Presents"!

Great sketch comedy show, if you like sketch comedy

Author: apextreme from United States
3 March 2005

Blue Collar TV is framed based on the very popular Blue Collar Comedy Tour, featuring Jeff Foxworthy, Bill Engvall, and Larry the Cable Guy. It's pure slapstick sketch comedy, and many of the sketches are about redneck relationships, family life, interactions with non-rednecks, and making fun of mainstream television. In the last few years, the only vastly accessible sketch programs were Saturday Night Live and Mad TV, both of which have been pumping out lower quality programming every season, mainly because they themselves mainstream and insist on inviting mainstream musicians to play at their shows. Did I forget to mention politically correct as well? For us other 100 million Americans that don't throw up our arms about racial/cultural jokes, enjoy this type of humor, simply because it is funny. Shows like Blue Collar TV make you laugh, help give you a better understanding for different walks of life, and humble you all at the same time. Of course it is television, so everything is going to be larger than life, but thats the only way to make efficient use out of a 30 minute program minus 10 minutes for commercial breaks. At the moment the 2 pantheons of sketch comedy are SNL and MadTV in one corner, and Blue Collar TV, and Chappelle's Show in the other. A honorable mention should include the Chris Rock show, which is now off the air.

There has been controversy of the the new sketch comedy programs, simply because they are deemed 'racist'. All are highly successful as well. Blue Collar TV rakes in 1.3 million viewers an episode, and considering the WB's most popular show only takes in only 2.1 million viewers per episode that is a very good sign of longevity. I was not able to find the demographic information on their ratings on comedy central, and that could possibly double it's ratings.

Most of their humor is in bad taste, but none of it is hateful. Just try to remember, they don't try to spread an 'agenda', and it's for adults. If you don't want your 12 year old to watch it then get them a TV with a V-CHIP.

Couldn't ask for more...

Author: Jack Treese from Holley, New York
19 September 2004

When I first saw Blue Collar Comedy Tour, I found it to be quite possibly the funniest film ever. It still is.

When I heard about this show, I expected it to be nothing more than skits revolving around the jokes the guys made in BCCT... I was right, and then some!

This is indeed a rednecked SNL/MadTV, and I couldn't have it any other way.

From sketches including Rescue 911 to The REAL Bachelor, I can never really stop laughing when I watch this show.

My friends feel that this show sold out the Blue Collar Comedy guys quicker than Metallica. I disagree. If anything, this show glorified how much redneck humor rules.

If you haven't watched Blue Collar TV, I recommend you do. I'm definitely buying Season One when the DVD is released.

Couldn't ask for more...

Author: Jack Treese from Holley, New York
19 September 2004

This is indeed a rednecked SNL/MadTV, and I couldn't have it any other way.

The Answer to Our Prayers!

Author: (sylviastel@aol.com) from United States
29 April 2007

The Blue Collar Comedy Tour has launched a successful comedy show not filmed in New York or Hollywood but in Atlanta, Georgia at a local theater. Sadly, the yuppies in New York and Hollywood don't understand the rest of the country. We're not all ignorant, bigoted blue collar trailer trash as the elite might think about when it comes to audiences. The reason that these comedians have become famous and rich without losing their touch with middle America. I've loved blue collar humor because I grew up in working class union community. I don't know what country clubs are like nor do I plan to join one. The Blue Collar TV show is the answer to our prayers when we feel down about our personal, financial situation. At least, we can expect to see these guys around a lot more making fun of themselves, their families, friends, and of course, it's audience without malice.