IMDb > Stuck in the Suburbs (2004) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Stuck in the Suburbs (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Good for a Disney movie

Author: Jenna Altringham (hayden-panettiere-ukfan) from Essex
16 October 2005

It was a lot more interesting then I thought it was going to be. I loved the storyline, and I think it would be a lot of teenager's dreams to get something like this happen. It's a good film that shows you no matter what background you're from, you can always do what you want, so it's a nice positive message.

The acting is pretty good, despite it's a Disney film, though as usual the 'little annoying brother' character was unnecessary. Danielle Panabaker's acting was a little boring, but Ryan Belleville was brilliant, as was Brenda Song.

All in all, it was a good film, and I'd watch it over and over again! 7/10.

The best song here... is Brenda.

Author: Ddey65 from United States
2 June 2005

Saucer-lipped Danielle Panabaker plays Brittany Aarons, one of four girls who are hot for pop singing boy-toy Jordan Cahill(Taran Killam). However Miss Aarons, a budding songwriter, seeks a little something more in her life than her plastic existence. Ten minutes into the movie later, comes Natasha Kwon-Schwartz(Brenda Song), a new girl who walks into school like she owns the place, and passes herself off as a sophisticated upper-crust New Yorker/globe-trotter. Only she doesn't come from the part of New York you might think she does. Ahh, Brenda Song... where were girls like her when I was growing up? Upon Natasha's arrival, Brittany slowly starts to make a move towards breaking out of her conformist routines, but not before becoming an extra in Jordan's latest music video, and inviting Natasha to join her and her groupie friends. When Jordan's entourage bumps into Brittany and Natasha, they all collect their stuff, and get each other's cell phones. Once Brittany gets a hold of Jordan's much more sophisticated phone, Natasha convinces Brittany that it'd be fun to mess with his career. Along the way they find that Jordan's life is not the life he chooses, but rather the one his record company wants for him. They won't even allow him to use the lyrics he wants for his own songs. At first he's terrified that his personal barber give him a major haircut, but eventually accepts it as the first step towards a break from his plastic image. During the movie a member of Jordan's entourage, who's also his best friend(Ryan Bellville) reminds him that "3 years ago, you were playing music in your parents' basement, and I was backing you up..." which makes it look to me like the guy had a grunge band, before the music industry wrote off grunge completely. But no -- rather than evolve into the down-to-earth singer/songwriter the movie suggests he'd become, he remains a pop-brat.

I suppose it helps to actually be a girl under the age 16 to fully enjoy this movie, or at least to have been that age during the pop-explosion of the late-1990's. This doesn't mean it's a completely bad, it's just not one of the better ones. But what the hell, give it a try anyway.

Great Movie!

Author: p_g86 from California, USA
31 October 2011

I'm surprised this movie didn't get rated 10 stars. I rate it 10 because it's light comedy and fun and very colorful. Plus, I love the scenery so much, it just grabs my attention. The whole movie with Panabaker and Brenda Song is just amazing. I'm surprised though that the girls were able to figure out what "Jordan's people" are doing wrong like not letting him record his version of a song.

I'm also amazed how quickly Natasha (Brenda Song) comes up with ideas so super fast, but that's Hollywood for ya. After all, it is fiction. Overall, I LOVE this movie and wished it was put on DVD, but I am glad that at least I was able to record it, which I've seen so many times. This is the best movie with Panabaker and Brenda Song, but that is just me. ;)

teen girl drama

Author: SnoopyStyle
14 September 2014

Brittany Aarons (Danielle Panabaker) is a squealing teenage girl living in the suburbs. She is in love with pop star Jordan Cahill (Taran Killam). Natasha Kwon-Schwartz (Brenda Song) is a new girl in school after a couple of years in Europe. Brittany is quickly attracted to Natasha's worldly life as she hides her Jordan Cahill love. Brittany accidentally switch phones with Jordan when Eddie (Ryan Belleville) drops the phone during Jordan's video shoot. The girls start to have a bit of fun with Jordan's phone.

There is some attempts at making fun of the unanimity and the lack of originality in the suburbs. There are good barbs that are wasted on this teen girl movie that is practicing exactly that. There is little originality or any interesting characters. Brenda Song is playing the cooler edgier girl which kind of says it all. She and Panabaker are fine as teen girls. Taran Killam is not a pop star and doesn't have that vibe. He's probably the biggest problem ... other than the constant squealing.

Not The Worst

Author: morganstephens512 from United States
18 September 2016

This film wasn't so bad as much as just so strange to the point where I literally had no idea what was going on within the movie itself. I mean for Disney Original movies, this is not the worst I have ever seen. Which means that it's not the worst movie I ever seen in general, but it was still bad enough as whole. But I will talk more about the actual stuff in the film instead of general thoughts.

What I did like was that this film felt very much like what could have been one of the first been the first LGBT Disney Channel Original Movie. While I don't really know or think that this was actually what they were going for, it had felt very much like the two leading females were actually a female couple the whole time and that they were in a relationship. That was at least the vibe I had gotten from it. If this was the case, it was a decent step forward for them.

What was bad about it was pretty much everything else. The plot had literally made no sense at all, and that there was no real connection in ninety five percent of it. The film felt way too long for what it was supposed to be for its own good. The film was super boring as well. Don't forget the really long climax that could have ended twenty minutes earlier or the really forced in music guy from every Disney film at the time and you got the complete list to just one of these bad movies.

Honestly though, despite this being a bad film that I wouldn't really suggest to people at all, I could actually watch it once or twice without feeling like I wasted too much time of my life. It's not good, but it could be worse. There are many films that I would rather watch than this and the same could be said on the other way around. I will give it a three out of ten and let it stay there.

WATCH THIS FILM!!!! (best for ages 0-1000000000000)

Author: LaUrA mArTiN from Dublin, Ireland
4 March 2007

I'm Laura martin and I'm fifteen. I usually love all Disney channel original movie but this one was my favourite it was very funny, feel-good, exciting and fascinating. its suitable for all ages. i absolutely loved it. its a fantasy film, but its a good one. i would definitely recommend watching this film. there is a lot of screaming but its for good reasons. some comments say that this film well practically stinks but it doesn't it smells lovely (ha ha ha). my two younger sisters also loved it one of my sisters is six and the other eleven and my dad who is forty-two. this film is also funny and the cast are great actors and play their role's very well. Daniellle does a very well job and most of the actors are familiar and will be to most people. i know some people will disagree with me but I'm not afraid to give an opinion A TRUE OPINION and i think some people may not like it but i do and so do all my friends. Take today for an example Disney channel had a vote of two films today :model behavior or Stuck in the suburbs and stuck in the suburbs won. Everyone i know loves this film and people i don't know because it won the movie showdown. if there is anybody out there looking for a fell-good, happy, funny, movie i'd say stuck in the suburbs would be the right movie for you. i truly hope that my review of stuck in the suburbs helped everyone who is reading it. Please consider my review of the movie and watch it. Thanks for reading my review of Stuck in the Suburbs(A Disney Channel Original Movie). xx xx

its everything u expect from a Disney film

Author: unconditonal_love from liverpool england
25 November 2006

i found the film a bit predictable and boring but i am 14.

i was really annoyed with my little cousin as she was very hyper that day so i saw a film on the Disney channel and put it on and told her to watch it.

she is 6 and she loved the film, some bits she didn't get like the ending but i didn't get that either y was Eddie the star of the video shoot i thought it was Jordan's video?! but she did enjoy it.

i noticed the mistakes such as at the end Jordan was not actually playing the guitar, but she never.

it is definitely a film for if you are seriously bored or 10 and under.

it calmed my cousin down well.

although all she did was sing for the rest of the day then.

I am confused about the ending of this movie...

Author: soccerhockeychick19 from United States
4 August 2005

Okay at the end of the movie the girls are coming home from soccer, and they are all obviously friends.

Jordan is on the phone with Brittany, and the girls are excited to see their music video on the TV.

The girls got to dance in the video, i get that.. but can someone explain to me how come Eddie was the star of the video.

I thought it was Jordan's video to do?

If anyone could email me and explain the answer to this question that would be really great...

soccerhockeychick19@hotmail.com ~Nicole~

Hats off! We really enjoyed the show.

Author: cecelli_capriotti from United States
25 October 2006

I know Im a little late getting this to you. I actually caught this the first week it aired back in '04. My nephew made me record the show for him because he really enjoyed. We use to live in New Orleans, we recognized the plaza. Cool thing, we were there when they were shooting "Growing Pains II" and i remember your trucks around the Italian plaza. Is the sound track available in stores? My nephew and his friends really enjoy singing to the music. Also, what has the lead actor done since the show? We liked watching him. Thanks again for a great family special that everyone can enjoy. We're hoping for a part II, any possibilities??

Is this what Disney Channel Original Movies have come to?

Author: superdupergizmo from France
26 November 2008

I grew up in the 90s; therefore, you must understand that i witnessed firsthand the premiers of the greatest DCOMs. I was there when Brink! appeared, Zenon, Halloweentown, Johnny Tsunami, etc, These movies constitute my childhood. When these movies came on, not only myself but whoever I was watching them with would stand completely in awe for 1h30, talk about it for the week to come and catch it again the next weekend. I don't think words could express the amount of excitement Zoog Disney brought.

Even when I watch them now, the dialog doesn't seem that bad (so effective in fact, that I actually remember parts of conversations literally word per word, from movies I saw over ten years ago). The characters are believable, funny, granted a little stereotypical but that's what makes Disney's charm...

I sat my little brother down in front of the Disney channel to try and convey and make him understand my feelings for DCOMs. Enter Stuck in the Suburbs... my brother looked at me slightly puzzled, asking me if I had always been gay. I feel more disappointed and betrayed now than, what could I compare this to?, when Han Solo found out Lando sold him out to Vader...

Half the movie, and I'm not exaggerating, is flashbacks. There is no talent in these young actors (some of which are older than I am) whatsoever. The plot is ridiculous; it feels like a bunch of old rotting corporate people over at Disney sat around a table and asked themselves "How can we seem hip to these youngsters?" OK, maybe all the DCOMs were like that, but they at least made a little effort to not let us realize they think we're complete idiots.

And apparently this type of movie works... Stuck in the Suburbs is rated almost as much as Zenon or Airborne. How is this possible? DCOMs got even cheesier and people prefer them now? (though apparently the lack of curse words is enough to give it 10/10 for some people) Christ, it's a completely different generation.