IMDb > Beautiful Women (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Beautiful Women More at IMDbPro »Schöne Frauen (original title)

A Feelgood movie with an edge

Author: meta4-1 from Oslo, Norway
29 November 2008

5 women meet at an audition, connects, goes on a day out that lasts somewhat, and forms friendships. They are all different and has only one thing common - they would all like to be actresses, get the part, belong. Does not seem much, but is so well done and with feeling that I keep returning to this small film. They are all beautiful women, the leading parts, although so different so similar. I have not really gotten my eyes opened to German films until lately, but the more that I see the more I like them. Being European I might relate to German films easier than Americans, but give this flick a chance US. This one is well helped by a former group,"Queen Bee",who colors the emotions throughout the film with their humor and wit and music. It's a Buddie-movie and if that is not your taste - it's not for you. It was for me. Excellent.

Gently understated situational drama

Author: Alice Digsit from Ultima Thule
5 February 2014

Gently sexy, mildly quirky, shyly arty and very human.

An accidental meeting of a group of not-quite-so-strong women grappling with life and auditions leads to their heading off on a day's adventure. I watched this in German with English subtitles and found it to be one and a half hours pleasantly spent. The thoughtful script maintained a dry whimsical tone with moments of sadness.

The interesting trope of not showing any of the men's faces keeps the film firmly focused on the women's stories while allowing a glimpse at how several of the characters relate to men. Acting, shooting and script were all excellent and the music was tasteful and well performed and then incorporated into the plot.

It had a possibly slightly oversaccharous, feelgood ending, but by that time I had been won over by the characters and could cope with the sweet send off.