IMDb > The Lake House (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Lake House

The Lake House More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 55: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

Great!

Author: Derek Elrod (admin@derekelrod.com) from United States
17 June 2006

I was looking forward to seeing this movie all week. When the film got into the first 15 minutes, I questioned whether or not it was going to end up being boring, but it was nothing short of fantastic. I'm not going to spoil the ending, but you will walk away very happy that you saw this film. Don't expect a whole bunch of comedy in this movie. It didn't need much, because it wouldn't have fit the mood and tone of the film. The film never leaves you thinking to yourself, "This couldn't happen in real life." It's about letting go of this mental concept that everything has to make sense, and Sandra's character has to learn to be able to do that. Great job Sandra and Keanu!

An uplifting movie about the hope that love can prosper through time.

Author: Aya from United States
16 June 2006

I went to this movie with a box of tissues, and I used about half, but for a very different reason than for that I was expecting. I only cried tears of joy as the movie was coming to a close. Keanu Reeves and Sandra Bullock have an obvious familiarity with each other, especially as these two characters. THough the actual "falling in love" section of the story is skipped over a bit, it's well worth it, as no one cares too much about that. A movie with such a strange and potentially confusing plot, they did a great job in keeping the watcher informed on which time they were watching, whether it be 2004 with Reeves, or 2006 with Bullock.

I walked out of this movie, happy and still crying.

A Mess

Author: jasonllester from United States
26 June 2006

I'll admit it. When I say the trailers for The Lake House, I wanted to see the film. It looked like the kind of plot I go crazy for. I love all kinds of time travel films, from Frequency to Donnie Darko to Somewhere In Time. Back To The Future is one of my favorite films. So I was anticipating The Lake House, not just because of the plot, but for a chance to see Keanu Reeves back together with Sandra Bullock. I think Speed is a fantastic film, helped greatly by the chemistry of the two leads. So I jumped at the opportunity to see Reeves and Bullock back together.

Then I saw the film. The plot revolves around two residents in the same house who fall in love through letters to each other. The catch? One (Reeves) lives in 2004 and the other (Bullock) resides in 2006. They communicate through the house's mailbox, which seems to be some kind of wrinkle in time. They also share the same dog.

First the good things, as small as they are:

1. Chicago is very well photographed in this film. 2. Reeves and Bullock do their best with what little they have and 3. Shohreh Aghdashloo as a friend of Bullock's character is never bad, and proves herself capable again here.

And now the bad:

1. The two leads are rarely together, thus never being able to shine together on screen. The one extended scene with both of them together actually shows what this film could've been. 2. The plot is highly muddled. The time travel rules are never clearly laid out. The ending is confusing and implausible. 3. The supporting case, with the exception of Aghdashloo, is kind of just blah. No supporting roles are fleshed out. 4. The Lake House itself, which should be majestic, or at least mysterious, is ugly. 5. The characters speak to each other through voice-over, which comes across as awkward and stilted.

So, bottom line, the film is terrible. It could have been great. It doesn't even come close.

2/10: Avoid at all costs!

The Lakehouse

Author: KBabie1625 from United States
17 June 2006

One of the BEST movies I have ever seen..I'm a huge fan of Keanu Reeves and I think he did an excellent job in this film!! This is a movie you can watch over and over again and point out something new every time!! The ending was perfect and the director made it easy to understand which surprised me because normally I get very confused in movies like this but this one was easy to follow, I loved it!!!!! And as for Keanu Reeves, gorgeous as always, Sandra looks amazing as well!! I love how they have played in more then one movie together they are a good team and I'm sure they attract a lot of viewers!! The storyline was amazing I couldn't stop wondering what was going to happen next and when they would meet..if you haven't seen this movie yet, put it on your to-do list..you won't be disappointed! -Katie

Magic Mailbox Of A Fascinating Glass House

Author: Chrysanthepop from Fraggle Rock
13 December 2008

Alejandro Agresti's 'The Lake House' is an unusual love story where two lovers are separated by two years. It couldn't have been easy to bring such a story on screen and there are some confusing moments and a few plot holes but Agresti makes up for this with some wonderful visuals, the actors and the overall subtle romantic feel. Generally, I am not a big fan of romantic dramas but there is a certain gentleness, innocence and subtlety about 'The Lake House' which works for me.

Moreover, the lead actors Sandra Bullock and Keanu Reeves (reuniting on screen after 12 years since the 1994 movie 'Speed') share an electric chemistry. Their scenes together are among the highlights. Reeves, though he is a little off in a few sequences, is suitably restrained most of the time. The actor shows improvement and growth. However, the star of the movie is Sandra Bullock. Though, at times, Bullock's Kate does remind one of her Lucy character (from the 1996 movie 'While You Were Sleeping'), Kate is more ambivalent and indecisive. The viewer can easily empathize with, and on some level relate to, Kate's loneliness and her strive for happiness. Shohreh Agdashloo and Christopher Plummer lend fine support. The soundtrack goes well with the silence and tranquility of the film and the cinematography is good.

My first viewing of 'The Lake House' was two years ago and I had mixed opinions mostly due to the confusion of the plot. I watched it again recently and this time I really enjoyed it. The flaws are still there and bits of it are still complex to follow but this time I took more notice of the positive. It's a great date movie but also a brilliant choice for a rainy day or for a cold winter's night.

loved it! so beautiful.....

Author: elizabethLhostetter from United States
7 February 2007

what a beautiful film. I think it really shows what true love is: waiting for someone whom you haven't even met in person. quoting pluggedinonline.com-

"More than anything, it's wonderful to watch as the main characters grow to love each other based on friendly conversation, not physical attraction or some personal agenda. Sandra Bullock was drawn to that, too, noting that the couple avoids "the superficial song and dance that always happens when people first meet and are trying to present their best side. ... Because of the unusual nature of the connection there's no embarrassment and no fear of sharing all of yourself because there's a part of you still saying, 'Well, this doesn't really exist,' or 'Even if it does, I'll never meet this person so what's to worry about?' What makes them fall in love so deeply is the utter fearlessness they have in revealing their vulnerabilities up front."

perfect with really what i need

Author: leon1355 from Islamic Republic of Iran
23 June 2007

the story is very good and the design is excellent the play is really good .the timing is perfect . dialogs are fine and it makes you to follow it without break in mu opinion if you go inside the story it will make you cry and laugh this is really good that you know you are watching unreal events but you really believe it could happens. the questions are: 1-what happens after this maybe they can change everything together by mail box! 2-if the come back to office and ask the brother same question what is answer!!!! but when you are watching this movie you really don't need to think about these movie is talking to you in every moment so you don't have enough time to think about making faults. take it easy this movie is perfect don't think about bugs just enjoy it.

"Can this be happening? "

Author: Galina from Virginia, USA
16 April 2007

"The Lake House" is a romance in letters which is "kind of a long distance relationship" between two people that live it the parallel worlds separated by a span of two years and somehow connected by a time-traveling mailbox. If anything, this movie connected once again Sandra Bullock as a physician who moves out of her lakeside house to live and work in Chicago and Keanu Reeves, an architect, who lives in the house right now (the concept of "right now" plays an important role in the movie). Two begin to communicate via letters left in the mailbox and suddenly realize that they are as far away from each other as 2004 and 2006 are. If you watch the movie in the right mood with the right person, you could think of it as a sweet, moving picture about longing, about getting close to someone whom you may never see but not be able to get them out of your mind, and who become to you more real than anything you've ever known. You will see the gentle and intimate site of Chicago that you did not know even existed. You will be moved and entertained...If you are not in the right mood, you'd begin looking for the logical faults and plentiful holes in the plot and you would say scornfully, "another chick flick with Keanu as a romantic hero" - so, it is up to you.

6.5/10

definitely worth watching

Author: Dianne Griffin-Brown from ontario canada
29 December 2006

The Lake House is not your usual love story. It has to be the first story where I have actually sat and sniffled in a very long time. The reason that I like it so much is that it touched me in a romantic way but wasn't stupid or sappy. I especially liked the part where Alex and Kate are supposed to get together for a meal and Alex makes a reservation ahead of time. The look on the hostess' face is great and I couldn't help but wonder what she thought when Kate showed up. I could never see anyone but Sandra Bullock or Keanu Reeves in these parts as they are so right for them. I think that this movie is destined to be a classic as much as Casablanca.

Don't like the ending.

Author: cjwa0405-1 from Australia
2 August 2006

The happy Hollywood ending does not buy it for me. In the movie there are two worlds. Alex's (reeves) and Kate's (s bullock). At the end, the two worlds come together as portrayed by Alex coming back from the dead. I can't make sense of it and is a big hole in the plot. The producers must have had a big debate over the ending.

Lake House takes a very similar approach to Il mare (the original) except for the ending. Now that people have seen Lake House, you all should see how the movie should have ended as it did in the original.

Had Lake House ended like Il Mare, the two worlds would have been kept apart, which would be consistent to the notion of the film, Alex would still have been dead in Kate's world but be saved from the accident in his own world.

I am quite displeased that Lake House could not reproduce the beauty (or tragedy) of the original.