IMDb > The Lake House (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Lake House

The Lake House More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 56: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

loved it! so beautiful.....

Author: elizabethLhostetter from United States
7 February 2007

what a beautiful film. I think it really shows what true love is: waiting for someone whom you haven't even met in person. quoting pluggedinonline.com-

"More than anything, it's wonderful to watch as the main characters grow to love each other based on friendly conversation, not physical attraction or some personal agenda. Sandra Bullock was drawn to that, too, noting that the couple avoids "the superficial song and dance that always happens when people first meet and are trying to present their best side. ... Because of the unusual nature of the connection there's no embarrassment and no fear of sharing all of yourself because there's a part of you still saying, 'Well, this doesn't really exist,' or 'Even if it does, I'll never meet this person so what's to worry about?' What makes them fall in love so deeply is the utter fearlessness they have in revealing their vulnerabilities up front."

perfect with really what i need

Author: leon1355 from Islamic Republic of Iran
23 June 2007

the story is very good and the design is excellent the play is really good .the timing is perfect . dialogs are fine and it makes you to follow it without break in mu opinion if you go inside the story it will make you cry and laugh this is really good that you know you are watching unreal events but you really believe it could happens. the questions are: 1-what happens after this maybe they can change everything together by mail box! 2-if the come back to office and ask the brother same question what is answer!!!! but when you are watching this movie you really don't need to think about these movie is talking to you in every moment so you don't have enough time to think about making faults. take it easy this movie is perfect don't think about bugs just enjoy it.

definitely worth watching

Author: Dianne Griffin-Brown from ontario canada
29 December 2006

The Lake House is not your usual love story. It has to be the first story where I have actually sat and sniffled in a very long time. The reason that I like it so much is that it touched me in a romantic way but wasn't stupid or sappy. I especially liked the part where Alex and Kate are supposed to get together for a meal and Alex makes a reservation ahead of time. The look on the hostess' face is great and I couldn't help but wonder what she thought when Kate showed up. I could never see anyone but Sandra Bullock or Keanu Reeves in these parts as they are so right for them. I think that this movie is destined to be a classic as much as Casablanca.

Don't like the ending.

Author: cjwa0405-1 from Australia
2 August 2006

The happy Hollywood ending does not buy it for me. In the movie there are two worlds. Alex's (reeves) and Kate's (s bullock). At the end, the two worlds come together as portrayed by Alex coming back from the dead. I can't make sense of it and is a big hole in the plot. The producers must have had a big debate over the ending.

Lake House takes a very similar approach to Il mare (the original) except for the ending. Now that people have seen Lake House, you all should see how the movie should have ended as it did in the original.

Had Lake House ended like Il Mare, the two worlds would have been kept apart, which would be consistent to the notion of the film, Alex would still have been dead in Kate's world but be saved from the accident in his own world.

I am quite displeased that Lake House could not reproduce the beauty (or tragedy) of the original.

Standard romantic film with drama and hints of fantasy

Author: Sandy-Rah from Middlesex, England
22 June 2006

I thoroughly enjoyed this film. It ran for approximately 1 hr 45min and not once did I consider the passing of time - unless it related to the storyline! It was nice to see Sandra Bullock with a different hairstyle for a change and I thought she looked good with shorter hair. She plays 'Kate' a doctor in a Chicago hospital and maybe it was just me, but I just couldn't see her as a doctor. However it did not in any way affect my enjoyment of the film as most it of was to do with the interaction of, and between the various main characters.

Keanu Reeves portrayal of Alex Wyler was excellent. I found the character totally believable and moving. I cared what he went through and what happened to him.

One 'character' who seemed to be important within the story was 'Jack'. A few unanswered questions about her but I think when you enjoy a film, you don't need to start questioning or nitpicking on comparatively small details.

Yes, I found a few moments which seemed a little strange or odd, mainly because of the storyline being set two years apart yet running parallel to each other. But I had my fingers crossed for the possibly unlikely 'happy ending' so those few moments were not going to detract me from enjoying the film.

If you enjoy action films with blood, guts, lots of swearing and not much story then you probably would not enjoy this film. However, if you enjoy a film with an interesting story, carefully woven to link several different lives and set in two fairly close time periods then you will enjoy this film.

If you are a fan of Sandra Bullock or Keanu Reeves then you may see that as an added bonus. I was not a big fan of Keanu Reeves, but after seeing this film - well I am now! I have been a fan of Sandra Bullock for a long time and together again in The Lake House, it is easy to see how well they must get on.

I highly recommend this film.

Romance is back!

Author: Snoopymichele from CT
14 July 2006

Sandra Bullock and Keanu Reeves reteam in this visually beautiful, well-acted romance about a couple who fall deeply in love but (seemingly) can't meet because they live two years apart. Yes, it sounds far-fetched, and both characters don't seem surprised at the circumstance that they are in regarding their time-space separation. However, the soulful and touching performances that both actors give made me forget the potential laughability of the plot. The scenery is breathtaking, the music is beautiful, and the story flows well.

Spoiler The scene where Bullock realizes that she has to prevent Reeves from meeting her and she sends him a letter warning him of his imminent death is one of the most heartbreakingly touching scenes I have seen in recent cinema. When the couple finally does meet, the passion is palpable. It is a wonderful movie, and the wait it took for Reeves and Bullock to reunite on screen truly was worth it. Lightning really did strike twice with the chemistry of these two. Loved it!

The Lack House.

Author: prufrock5150 from Highland, CA
1 July 2006

Have you ever contemplated time travel? Have you ever pondered parallel universes and the complexities of communicating across years instantaneously? If so, great - go see "12 Monkeys" or read a Phillip K. Dick novel, because the writers of "The Lake House" clearly haven't. The characters of this faux-ontological exploration, while a shred sympathetic, clearly have more of a willing suspension of disbelief than I was able to. While I can forgive their shockingly rapid acceptance of the mind-bending discovery of being able to write letters spanning two years' distance, I simply cannot accept that they would become *so* immersed in their little emotional exploration and cute "long-distance relationship" bit that they would *never* actually test the limits of their connection (or even try any tricks with lottery numbers, splitting the winnings - it's kind of a no-brainer). Furthermore, while "KeAlex" (since he is *always* Keanu to some degree no matter what role he's playing) makes some strides to contact her in his time, she apparently fails to make a single attempt to find him in her time (which is actually a contrived, necessary plot point to make the "climax" work). In essence, a movie which promises so much in the realm of pseudo-sci-fi mystery, it resolves with the moral "look both ways before crossing the street." A major disappointment.

a gentle love story with a twist

Author: unakluz from United Kingdom
27 June 2006

Keanu Reeves as the main male character Alex is at his best in this whimsical tale of a couple whose love grows through an exchange of letters in which they discover they are living two years apart. The story was so well written that you just accepted the idea of the magical postbox and also the shared dog who seemed to know more than she was letting on. Although the couple hadn't met at the beginning of the story a chance encounter brought about by said dog leads to Alex meeting Kate(Sandra Bullock)at a party where he knows who she is but she doesn't know him yet and it is one of the most romantic and poignant encounters imaginable as he obviously can't tell her about their correspondence in her future in case she thinks he's insane but they have such an obvious connection. The sad truth about what has happened to Alex comes to the audience before it hits Kate and there-in lies the reason for the story as it becomes obvious that her letters from the future were the cause of what happened to him and she is able to change things to the way they should have been which just makes the ending even more emotional. A thoroughly enjoyable film with two extremely likable and plausible leads.

Things to watch for your first (or second or third) time watching The Lake House

Author: ontimetalent from LA, CA
26 June 2006

This piece was genuine and about as believable as any 'suspension of disbelief' piece could be because the characters responded the way we all would in their shoes. The beauty of this storyline (and thus the original piece, 'Il Mare') is that unlike many other time travel films and stories, the two key characters aren't separated by a generation or more. Other writers probably skipped the idea of just being two years apart because it wouldn't give enough room to toy with how the two can affect each other's 'present', but there are some things that float with a two year time difference more meaningfully than if they were 100 years apart.

Interesting points: Sandra's MD jacket reads 'Kate Forester, M.D.' and she also seems to introduce herself that way at the restaurant, but the credits list her as 'Forster'...no 'e'. Also, Meg Everist was the set decorator, and you'll notice her name as a patient's on the wall as Bullock exits one of the hospital rooms while telling Keanu's character, Alex, about how people from the future wear metallic clothes and read each other's minds. Kate slips just an envelope into the mailbox upon learning about Alex's father, but Alex receives a great big book on the other end. Guess the props master didn't know how big the book would be when they shot her portion of that exchange. ;)

Other subtle notes: Morgan forgot to give Kate a valentine's present of any kind, but as Alex and Kate walk toward the lake house at the end, Alex slips a red envelope into her hands...which could be missed against her bright red coat. It's a thoughtful addition on the part of the writer or director. Of course, it helps that Alex had at least two years to prepare for that Valentine's Day. ;) Good eye on the costumer's part...putting Sandra in brown pants and a blue sweater, and having Keanu in a brown jacket with blue pants for the party scene. It adds visual credence to the thought that the two should be a couple.

Sappy things that didn't happen: The dog didn't show up at the Lake House in the end. Morgan didn't end up with Mona, nor did Henry. A writer eager to tie up every lose end might have delved into any of those things, but thankfully, they let our focus linger on just the two key characters and didn't go with a fully 'Disney' ending.

Final conversation starters: (Spoilers definitely included here) Consider: Keanu was dead from the moment they started corresponding (in Kate's time). There's something addedly touching about that when you think about their walk together, their overall interaction, and the fact that her heart broke for the stranger that died in her arms, wondering about those he'd left behind.

The tree hadn't been at Racine until she mentioned the lack of trees and he planted it, but the kiss and death *had* already happened and come up in conversation in prior to when they'd happened in 2004.

Would it have been worked if she'd tried to call him in 2006 and found out about his death earlier? Would it have worked if he approached her sooner with the letters and his feelings? The face value answer is no, if nothing else she needed that time to realize her feelings as she stated herself "I love you...and it's taken me all this time to say it..."

Things that had to happen: His death The dog, Jack, running away and bumping into Morgan? Hiring Visionary Vanguard Associates to build Morgan and Kate's new place Alex's drawing The box of letters had to be at the Lake House to give Alex a reason to go there and notice her last letter in the mailbox. He had to move out so she could move in. She had to move out so the 'Dear New Tenant' letter could set the ball in motion. Alex had to redirect his bills to the construction site or else they wouldn't be paid for two years. ;)

If you didn't catch some of these finer details on your first watch of the film, see it again. It's worth supporting a PG film that has some substance to it!

Natalie Nicole Los Angeles

Comparison of two movies

Author: HOLTZARZAR from United States
23 June 2006

Good Evening Everyone: I have just seen the movie and I truly feel it is great. Why? Simple: Please everyone go and see the early 1950s movie titled, "Portrait of Jennie." Starring Joseph Cotton and Jennifer Jones.

This move is about two people that time allow a short romantic interlude before separating them.

Now the difference between this movie and the movie Lake House is that this latest movie has a happy ending. Please, please, please, in order to understand and truly appreciate this movie, you should be a romantic at heart.

Lover stirs this movie. Sacifice, trust and time expands the willing togetherness of two people who are patient. Yes, there are trials and tests; however, they overcome them. When you have a romantic heart and love the scenes in this movie and the movie known as "The Portrait of Jenne" you may have second thoughts and see the movie again. Remember this is a movie about love; love with its ups and downs.

To me the two main stars are similar to the two stars in the 1950's movie. My suggestions are these: Go to a romantic bar, dinning place, listen to vintage music of the 1950 composers, place your mind into Percy Faith's, Ray Conniff and his music and others.

Then go and see the movie once move. Oh, high rare romantic movies are being produced these days. Sometimes, it is good to find a decent romantic book, poetry and then go see this movie. So, I am partial to this movie. In some ways it reminds of sceneries from older movies, along with their music. So please have an open mind. Try renting the movie, "The Portriat of Jennie, or wait until it comes back on cable TV.

Everyone have a great weekend.