IMDb > Jump (2003/II) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Jump More at IMDbPro »

A Meditation on Life Choices

Author: matty03 from San Francisco, California USA
4 April 2005

It seems I find myself turning to Eastern cinema more and more for films that offer real ideas and challenge audiences to think about what they are viewing. As it often feels like films from the US are losing touch with humanity foreign cinema is tapping into it more than ever. If you're looking for a movie filled with familiar plot structure, action, sex and violence this is not the movie for you. However, if you're interested in films that explore human emotion and depth this is a gem!

Filled with great production values and an outstanding cast of actors, this film follows a young man's journey in the first portion of his adult life. The movie illustrates the sheer power our choices in life impact all of those around us for both the good and the bad. Whether or not fate or chance plays a crucial role in our choices is left for the viewer to decide. Somewhat similar to some of the interesting films of the 1970's, JUMP is rare glimpse into life and the way we are all connected for support whether we realize it or not.

I highly recommend this film! I hope this film and its very talented (and HOT!) lead actor find an audience in the US --- both deserve one!

Unpredictable faith

Author: Crveni Krst from Serbia
10 September 2011

One of the main reasons for my affection towards Japanese cinematography is the general feeling of everyday life, and the atmosphere you can project your self in even though you're not a part of Japanese society or culture, like my self. There is often a lack of special effects, fancy scenery, superstar glamor, yet the story and the way it's told not only compensates all that, but it also makes it so much better. I like it that way, and "Jump" beyond much doubt is a solid example.

A young couple, not outstanding in any particular way falls into a quite strange twist of faith. After Jun, the young self situated man gets drunk and decides to spend a night at his girlfriend's place. Miharu just wants visit the grocery store and get some apples, Jun's favorite fruit. Who would know that this is the last time Jun sees her in a long time, before he discovers a twist of faith which will change his life for good. Jun is determined to find Miharu and learn what happened to her, and along the way, his job and private life suffer during the following months. Finally he succeeds, and it's an untwist you could hardly expect.

This motion picture is not the best drama I've ever seen, yet it touched me in a very specific way. It tells a story of life and how unexpected chances and certain decisions can alter it in a second. You could call "Jump" an ordinary movie about ordinary life of ordinary people, but in this case, that ordinary is actually brilliant. 9 points well earned. Good job Japan.