IMDb > Hustle & Flow (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Hustle & Flow

Hustle & Flow More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 21: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [Next]

This movie taught me something important about life.

Author: Rush-Limbaugh from United States
7 January 2006

This movie taught me that if you are a stupid worthless high-school drop-out pimp who abuses women, swears frequently and kills people, you can turn on your past and become a stupid worthless high-school drop-out rapper who abuses women, swears frequently and kills people. Thank you for such a stirring and emotionally resonant film, guys. I really appreciate it! "Everybody gotta have a dream" is the tagline. Notice the incorrect grammar. That's because it's "cool" to spell things wrong in the gangsta world (note that the "er" in "gangster" has been replaced with an "a," too).

I'm so glad I live in a world where films about disgusting people can contain a moral as important as this: You're somebody too, even if you're a scum of the earth. So become a rapper, make loads of money and be an even more important scum of the earth.

Very, very good but not great, great great

Author: catchamovie from United States
31 July 2005

I mainly went to see this film because I like Terrence Howard and he got a great review from Ebert and Roeper. At first, the movie was bombarded with the stereotypical images seen before in black flicks. People fighting in bars, pan handling, of course the drugs and prostitution. It seemed to only show the negative sides that I was hoping wouldn't be seen as the norm in the community. But, as the movie unfolded it showed the birth of a dream, a coming together of friends for a common cause, and true emotion. It showed that even the dregs of society can be lifted up somehow, by their dreams being fulfilled. DJay began to be a man to root for. He started to put in the necessary work, drive and effort to be a team leader and then to go out on the limb -- though not in the most respectable ways, to achieve an end. The cast did a phenomenal job. Based on the diversity of the audience that was with me, I think many will understand the process in getting a recording heard and also appreciate rap or hip hop, more. Terrence is a good actor and has played mainly the 'tough guy' roles but he really showed an emotional side. As one poster eluded -- we are now giving credit to a Pimp and feeling sorry for him. It doesn't make sense because a Pimp should be looked down on and shunned by society. Who cares if they reach their goals or dreams. They don't deserve it --- leading the life they do. It is comparable to how some like "The Sopranos" -- killers that they are, but we somehow see that they have a heart and somewhat normal family dynamics as everyone. The movie wanted everyone to have that common denominator -- realizing that everyone has a dream and may want to validated, heard and improve their life. This was a very unusual vehicle to make that point, via the "Pimp Mobile," but Terrence may have nailed it.

a must see

Author: jarvizu from United States
27 July 2005

I have only seen two great films this year. "Crash" and I just saw "Hustle and Flow". It just so happened that Terrance D. Howard is in both. Now that is absolutely great acting. Not just by him, but by the other actors too. What a raw and real film. After watching this, my husband said he has a better understanding of RAP also. There better be some awards around the corner for this film and this actor. Brewer has captured something both in the writing and directing. An athlete would call it "Being in the Zone".

Kudos to Brewer and the crew.

Jo Ann A. , Huntington Beach, CA

A tale of the Human condition!

Author: solomansang from Los Angeles, California
27 July 2005

This movie was so gritty and real, it touches upon the human condition so well. I did not know what to expect and it blew me away. Not only did Terrance Howard provide a great performance but the storyline was excellently done. Terrance you alway have been a great star and with this performance you have truly made a serious turn.

The story conveyed the longing of all the characters to live a better life in the face of poverty and few options. There are some very memorable scenes in this film. The first is when DJay (Terrance Howard) spits his first rhymes in the makeshift studio of his bedroom with Anthony Anderson and DJ Qualls characters. As they layer the sound of his first song one begins to not only see but, hear the potential of DJay dreams of becoming a rap star. The second is through a series of flashes during a jail visit when the audience is treated to what the future may hold for DJay(that is the most I will say because I want everyone to experience the film without giving too much away). That scene brought me to tears and I was uplifted as I left the theater. They say the sign of a great movie is when you are left thinking about it for days. Hustle and Flow has done just that for me. Praise to John Singleton for finding a way to finance this movie and get it out to the masses and major praise to the writer and director Craig Brewer for not only telling but giving us one of our(African American)stories in such a profound manner. I know there are many more stories out there and if any studio heads are reading this, DON'T BE SCARED TO GIVE US MORE!!! We are multi-faceted people with universal stories that everyone can relate to when it involves the human condition. I only hope the buzz keep growing and that this movie is a great success. It needs to be put in more theaters by audience demand. Maybe then can we get more tales like this that reaffirm that even the lowest of low can dream. My final words get out and see this movie! It's a must see!!!

Best movie I've seen all year...

Author: mjones-50 from United States
26 July 2005

I must say that I really wasn't expecting a lot from this movie. The trailer and previews were interesting enough but I assumed it was just another "hip-hop" movie. To my surprise, the storyline and the actors were excellent. Terrence Howard is a great actor and he gives DJay such character. Actually, the entire casting was great. I was surprised that it only brought in $8 million but maybe that's pretty good since it was only showing on 1000 screens. I hope that people go out and support this film. When I heard that John Singleton financed this movie personally, I thought "he must really have faith in this film". It is an excellent film and it deserves all of the great reviews. This is a must-see film.

Don't miss!

Author: filmguynyc from United States
25 July 2005

Take a look at Terrence Howard's performance in "Crash," and then go see what he does in "Hustle & Flow." The guy does all the little (and big things) a film actor has to do to be credible. Not only that, he has an absolutely mesmerizing screen presence.

If he doesn't become a major superstar, winning accolades and awards along the way -- as opposed to the kind of superstar status of, say, Tom Cruise or one of the other lightweight pretty boys -- then we'll know once and for all that the system is totally gamed.

"Hustle & Flow"? I went to it the night it opened in NYC, having heard the buzz about it in reviews on NPR and in the NY Times. I was somewhat skeptical, yet I bought my ticket with an open mind, hoping I'd be entertained, enlightened, etc.

Maybe what I really wanted was something other than the Big Bucks Production Crap that the major studios turn out so routinely. I wasn't disappointed. Because "Hustle & Flow" didn't overwhelm me with effects. Instead it got me involved in a story about some downtrodden yet ever hopeful characters.

Craig Brewer's script crackled with wit, pathos, hope and rage, and his direction was blessed by so much verisimilitude that the part of Memphis he intended to portray became almost visceral on the screen, tiny elements (wisps of smoke from a cigarette, beads of sweat, the oily smudges on an old fan) adding volumes to the back story.

Brewer's casting decisions were inspired. Terrence Howard (DJay) will get all the "star" play, but he's got some terrific support in Taryn Manning (Nola), Taraji P. Henson (Shug), Paula Jai Parker (Lexus), Anthony Anderson (Key) and DJ Quails (Shelby).

All in all, this is a "don't miss" film. A breakout by its writer/director, star and cast. Will it win big in this year's Hollywood awards shows? Hard to say. It should, in my opinion. One thing is sure... it's infinitely better than the "5.9" rating it's been given up to this point in time.

Almost forgot... all hail John Singleton for producing the film! On NPR I heard that he put $3 million of his own cash into getting it done. Let's hope he cashes in big-time...

A true understanding of Music and Culture

Author: exoticElephant from los angeles california
22 July 2005

I recently viewed this film and the moment I walked out of the theater, I made phone calls to inform other friends and family that they should see this film, ToDAY(opening). I was amazed(not shocked because he is an excellent actor) at Terrence performance. I could really feel his spirit as he brought this character to life. The supporting cast was excellent as well. Taraji P. Henson, Paula Jai Parker, and Taryn Manning. There were some excellent scenes between all three. This film reminds me of the origins of blues, the true blues. Although its coming from a pimp and his so called "hoes" it is his blues and his struggle. Very real to life. Of coarse some will look down upon this film because it deals with a pimp and his hoes, but this is the most real to life experience I've ever seen in the media about this lifestyle. This film showed the rawness of it all, that it was not "bling bling and slap a hoe". I suggest you check out this film, you wont be disappointed.

Great Film-making and Casting

Author: Atlanta Talent Magazine from United States
18 July 2005

I couldn't take my eyes away, wondering what will happen next - the way film was meant to be. The story builds and then there is a climatic turning point that gets you really engaged. Amazing film-making!

I think Terrence Howard is one of Hollywood's best kept secrets, that is until now. By starring in Hustle & Flow, his talent shines. He embodies the soul of this pimp-turned-wannabee rapper character so intrinsically that you swear it's really the story of HIS life.

Nonetheless, I must admit I was somewhat put off by the stereotypical characters at first. The movie quickly overcame those hesitations. At least there is a balance of imagery amongst characters; some depicting conversely positive roles.

The casting was perfect from Anthony Anderson to Elise Neal, Taryn Manning to rapper "Ludacris". This award-winning indie is a must-see.

I'd like to say a lot more but it's one of those times where, "You have to see it for yourself" is best suited.

What a shame!

Author: chatbada from France
8 March 2007

This is a real shame! This film has a LOT OF QUALITIES : the acting is good, as well as the photography and even the story is not so bad...so, what's wrong? First, there are too many problems with the montage : so many time, you feel that a scene could be shorter, because what is shown is not so interesting, or because what is meant at a time is so obvious that it could be just suggested and shorten but not shown entirely. And that is to me, the worst waste in this film. Especially for a musical movie, rhythm is the key, and here, it lacks rhythm, which, pardon me, for a rap movie is a kind of paradox, isn't it? The second weak point, is about the acting : I agree that THE ACTORS ARE EXCELLENT, but you feel sorry for them, as the direction missed to bring some changes, some variations in their acting, so without those variations you get more and more tired, even with the best actors. So, because I am not a modest person, I will say as an advice for everybody here that want to make a film for me:0) be more suggestive, and never forget VARIATIONS, and Rhythm!!!!

An Embarrassing Hook

Author: tedg (tedg@filmsfolded.com) from Virginia Beach
13 December 2006

Sometimes a movie is successful, engaging you but leaves you feeling dirty.

Sometimes a movie is well enough made to seem worthwhile but gives you nothing, nothing at all.

Sometimes a movie purports to be a genuine visit, an exploration in real, raw human dynamics from a world we wouldn't other wise see. This does advertise itself that way. And it is a fraud.

The "true" part is the story of the guy, the Memphis rapper who sold CDs out of the back of his car. He tricked his way into a meeting with the director — a polished white guy — and made a demo in 24 hours from scratch. That song won the Oscar prompting the ghetto/ trailerpark hoots half the world saw. That part is genuine, a man "making it."

But what false is everything else. Oh, I know folks get offended at the misogynism, but that's excusable here because that is the way most of the world runs. What is obnoxious is that we see a man "finding himself," following his path," and other sorts of soft notions about moving from irrelevance to a full life. The opening speech gives it to you in terms of dogs and man.

And we see him do so in the context of making the song that both redeems him and forms the sonic backdrop of the movie. It seems so genuine on screen: a whore finds her center to sing; a repressed producer finds his groove la la la. And our pimp finds untapped resources that must exist lest we wouldn't have a movie.

But in reality this is not the case. The top musical talent in Memphis (which is saying something) is turned to giving us what we see as genuinely from the man's soul but could never be. Never. And even if it were, does this song do anything but make your head bob for three minutes?

The acting is impressive, and we should give Singleton credit for that, I think. But what a waste these actors must have known this to be. We like it, but it is lies. We like it because it is lies. There is no genuine black culture any more. It is all packaged to be sold, pimped.

Ted's Evaluation -- 2 of 3: Has some interesting elements.