IMDb > Hustle & Flow (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Hustle & Flow

Hustle & Flow More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 21: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

Great performance from Howard, great film

Author: PersianPlaya408 from Milpitas, California
13 January 2006

This is a great film about a music industry that hasn't gotten much shine in Hollywood. I mean you had your occasional successes in 8 mile and many failures such as State Property, Get Rich or Die Trying or even Belly to an extent. This film is realistic and not over the top. I liked Howard in the lead as a pimp turned rapper from Memphis. I liked Brewers direction and writing, this is a gritty film that is thought-provoking, emotionally packed and entertaining. Anthony Anderson and Ludicrous both give good performances too and also Taraji henson and Taryn Manning were very good in their roles as the women who were pimped by DJay (Howard). This film is wellwritten, acted and directed. 9/10

Great and powerful film

Author: dennsylvania from Pennsylvania, US
11 January 2006

Great film. Very powerful. Very entertaining. Great acting performances. Great casting. Great script. Characters you really feel for. One of 2005's best films. It's a great story of a man trying to live his dreams, and get out of the mediocre life he's leading. Very inspiring for all of us who want more than life's given us, and feel we have the potential for more than we've done. If we all took a shot, we'd have far less regrets. I'd rather know for sure, than wonder "what if?". I'm sure a lot of people will say it's ripping off 8 Mile, but I think this film is far superior, and much more believable. I loved this film, despite not liking rap music, so it really transcends audience demographics. It's a film about a would be rapper, but it's not just a film for rap fans. It's a film for anyone with a dream, which really should be everyone...

'Talk the talk or walk the walk'

Author: gradyharp from United States
11 January 2006

Terrence Howard is one of those actors who seemingly can do anything. No matter what the role he intelligently chooses to play he is always phenomenally fine (Crash, Ray, Lackawanna Blues, Their Eyes Were Watching God, Four Brothers, Hart's War, etc etc etc). In HUSTLE & FLOW writer/director Craig Brewer has finally given him a vehicle that allows him more screen time and the opportunity to create a character that burns his image on our memory indelibly.

The story of a pimp and drug dealer in Memphis, stuck in the poverty level and rapidly drowning in mid-life crisis, who pulls himself into the stream of his need and dream to be something different, a rapper star, has been told before but never in the gritty realistic atmospheric way this film does. One of the most telling sequences of both writing and acting is the opening scene of the film when Djay (Howard) quietly talks his philosophy to Nola (Taryn Manning), his primary prostitute, simply sitting in the front seat of his car, awaiting johns. Howard makes this soliloquy pungent yet quiet and in the words we hear provide the outline for the story to follow.

While Terrence Howard's is towering, the supporting cast is superb also. Anthony Anderson, DJ Qualls, Taraji P. Henson, Paula Jai Parker, Isaac Hayes, and Ludicrous all offer genuine portraits of difficult characters. The smarmy side of Memphis is well captured by cinematographer Amy Vincent. This is a fine film, a bit difficult to watch at times because of the bruises of poverty and the depths to which people must descend at times to survive. But the story is pungent and tough and Terrence Howard is a marvel to watch. Grady Harp

Involving with strong characters

Author: pc95 from San Diego
10 January 2006

This is purely a character driven picture. The acting is very good on all counts. There is frustration, angst, and hope that is palpable. The director wisely cuts out a lot of the gritty details of the hustle and focuses more on the characters as humans trying to survive. It helps to identify with care for the people involved. The story is simple yet focused and involves some growth and learning. Particularly enjoyable was Djay's friendship with the people around his life. The ending was a bit of cop-out though causing me to wonder if the character had actually learned anything about humility. A bit of a letdown. Otherwise it was a good drama worth the watch and rental.

a great movie

Author: poetbob from Canada
9 January 2006

From all I'd heard about it, I had high expectations of this movie before I watched it, and I was not disappointed. Wow. It was not a good movie, it was a GREAT movie. D-Jay is a Memphis pimp trying to get out of the hustling game. In his heart and mind burns the flow of rhythm and lyrics born out of the gritty streets, where he ekes out a living for himself and his "girls". But he dreams of more, of bringing his verse out, knowing its cathartic nature can be his only hope for escape and freedom from his life of drug dealing and pimping. Hustle & Flow has a rock-solid supporting cast, but Terence Howard needs an Oscar for his portrayal of the rapping pimp, D-Jay. He made it real, he brought D-Jay to life, he gave him his heart, the good, bad, inspiring, self-defeating, overcoming, and redeeming. Maybe Terence Howard isn't "big" enough yet in the Academy circles, but in my mind, if he doesn't deserve an Oscar, no one does.

Amazing how little recognition it received!

Author: petkot1990 from United States
15 November 2005

This is probably one of my favorite movies of this year if not of all time. After I watched it I was hooked on Terrance Howard. The man is the greatest thing to hit Hollywood since plastic surgery! And directors know it, he's been in plenty of movies this year and I have yet to be disappointed. But, back to the movie. This movie brought the Pimpin' life of DJay to you in near perfection. Terrance Howard was great. I loved the songs so much that I went out and bout the Soundtrack and it's just as good as the movie. DJay is in a rut pretty much and decides that the only way to go is up. He meets an old friend from High School(Anthony Anderson) who has become a producer (or whatever you call it in the case of classical music) and sees the opportunity. The song he decides to make for his premiere called "Whoop That Trick" delivered a great scene while being made. Anthony A. says to Terrance H. while the song is originally called "Beat That B****" "We're trying to get Radio play man, no one will play this. It's degrading to women." "Well what you mean man?" "We gotta change the title, it's degrating to women when you call them B*****s" "Well I ain't trying to call no H* no B****. How bout "Stomp that Ho" or "Whoop That Trick." This is my favorite scene!!! This is getting a little long... Bottom Line - MUST SEE!!! It's too late to see it now, but it's coming out on DVD January 10,2006!

pivotal plot point

Author: tlmfilmmaker from United States
30 October 2005

The character of Harold played by Claude Phillips was the most on point acting in the movie. Phillips' performance as a street bum who sold D Jay the small keyboard that helped hook the main character to pursue his dream was the strongest and yet, most understated scene in the movie. The interplay between D Jay and Harold was natural and believable. I expect to see Claude Phillips appear in more films in the future.

The movie in itself did not meet the hype of the film. Although we saw the inner workings of a particular pimp and his whores relationships, it did not express exactly how most black confident pimps operate in this game. For example, most pimps do not pimp out of their car, like D Jay. That is "chilli pimpin" and "spot pimpin." That mode is reserved for the shaking pimps. D Jay appeared to be more confident of his game and his control of his hoes. Conseqently, pimps who fit that profile, they instruct their lady or ladies on how to act in regards to procuring business and set them out on automatic pilot to ply their trade, with him or her behind the scenes waiting on the money.

Although, the acting was good, Terrance Howard and his pregnant ho overstated the Southern dialect in trying to talk Memphis. However, Howard hit a homerun with his rapping. Perhaps, he should consider exploring that talent further.

Excellent & so real

Author: BronzeKeilani26 from SF. Calif. USA
26 October 2005

I really don't like movies laced w/ struggles & oppression which take some of us back down memory lane if were not still on it but Hustle & Flow was great! I was able to relate to almost all the characters thru experience & my life had a great ending just like this. For those of you who assume the movie is over exaggerated or too much was put on it, trust me it wasn't. My son decided to take me out to see a movie & this was our choice. I was very surprised to see the showing packed w/Caucasians & elderly ones at that too so I sent my son out to make sure we were in the right showing. My boyfriend once told me that they enjoy stories of our lives & observing what oppression is about. I was thrilled to see this movie kept it real & they enjoyed it from the beginning to the end. I always have loved Terence's acting & he shined at his best in Hustle & Flow. Surprisingly A. Anderson was likable in this movie & all the characters played their roles to the tee giving it the realness that made it so enjoyable. This is one movie I have got to own!

Best film of '05

Author: beatsbeats from United States
10 October 2005

This was the best film I saw in 2005 and I doubt anything this fall will be able to top it. When I first saw the previews, I assumed that it would be another in a string of weak hip-hop films that have been released recently. However, the Sundance buzz and critical acclaim hooked me in and I'm glad because it is a really great film and though the Oscars will probably snub it, it deserves an award for Best Actor (Terrence Howard). Howard's character, DJay, is a Mephis pimp who is struggling to make ends meet after his number one moneymaker, Shug, becomes pregnant and another hoe starts acting up and he has to kick her out of his house, in a particularly violent and disturbing scene. A chance run-in with old schoolmate Key, who has small business recording gospel choirs and legal depositions, encourages him to re-think a career as an emcee. With a little convincing, Key agrees to help DJay and the two set about recording DJay's raps with the help of an enthusiastic white boy (played by DJ Qualls) who has a penchant for making dope crunk beats. The film has been compared to "8 Mile," but it is actually a much different, much better film with more focus on the music and less on the protagonist's personal problems. There are some great lines, including DJay's soliloquy at the start of the film, and some very humorous scenes, especially with Nola, DJay's "snowflake," who steals every scene she is in. And the music is amazing! These beats are as fresh as anything coming out of the Dirty South right now. It is rare to see a film where every character is played perfectly, and this is one of them. If you don't like hip-hop, you might not understand the power that this film has, and if you are bothered by prostitution you might be disgusted by some scenes. But I feel that it goes a long way toward humanizing pimps and prostitutes and does not just portray them as the dirty side of society or as ridiculous caricatures. Also, DJay's hunger to become a rapper is more poignant than Rabbit's and 8 Mile. So if you want a film that will make you laugh, cry and nod your head to some cutting-edge crunk, this is it.

Truthful, raw, passionate film

Author: J. Cat McDonald (catmacart@aol.com) from California
20 September 2005

My first education came from the streets. I know about pimps and ho's and I know about grifters and players. My second education came from the prison systems of America. My third educational installment, thus far, is academic and from traditional universities: a BFA (Fine Art) and a MA in Psychology. All education begins in the cradle and ends in the grave. Along the way,if we are lucky we have a dream. Hustlers understand this intuitively. I appreciate artists and craftsmen who grab hold of a dream so vibrant it's alive. Bravo to the community of artists who hustled allowing this movie to flow.This was a film draped in passion and raw vision. Even the cigarette smoke snaking up and out of flaring nostrils to get a point across was rhythm. Those that nit picked about small inconsistencies missed the vision....Bravo written word, bravo superb acting ensemble, bravo to those with a vision that won't let go!