IMDb > Hustle & Flow (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Hustle & Flow

Hustle & Flow More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 21: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

Involving with strong characters

Author: pc95 from San Diego
10 January 2006

This is purely a character driven picture. The acting is very good on all counts. There is frustration, angst, and hope that is palpable. The director wisely cuts out a lot of the gritty details of the hustle and focuses more on the characters as humans trying to survive. It helps to identify with care for the people involved. The story is simple yet focused and involves some growth and learning. Particularly enjoyable was Djay's friendship with the people around his life. The ending was a bit of cop-out though causing me to wonder if the character had actually learned anything about humility. A bit of a letdown. Otherwise it was a good drama worth the watch and rental.

a great movie

Author: poetbob from Canada
9 January 2006

From all I'd heard about it, I had high expectations of this movie before I watched it, and I was not disappointed. Wow. It was not a good movie, it was a GREAT movie. D-Jay is a Memphis pimp trying to get out of the hustling game. In his heart and mind burns the flow of rhythm and lyrics born out of the gritty streets, where he ekes out a living for himself and his "girls". But he dreams of more, of bringing his verse out, knowing its cathartic nature can be his only hope for escape and freedom from his life of drug dealing and pimping. Hustle & Flow has a rock-solid supporting cast, but Terence Howard needs an Oscar for his portrayal of the rapping pimp, D-Jay. He made it real, he brought D-Jay to life, he gave him his heart, the good, bad, inspiring, self-defeating, overcoming, and redeeming. Maybe Terence Howard isn't "big" enough yet in the Academy circles, but in my mind, if he doesn't deserve an Oscar, no one does.

Amazing how little recognition it received!

Author: petkot1990 from United States
15 November 2005

This is probably one of my favorite movies of this year if not of all time. After I watched it I was hooked on Terrance Howard. The man is the greatest thing to hit Hollywood since plastic surgery! And directors know it, he's been in plenty of movies this year and I have yet to be disappointed. But, back to the movie. This movie brought the Pimpin' life of DJay to you in near perfection. Terrance Howard was great. I loved the songs so much that I went out and bout the Soundtrack and it's just as good as the movie. DJay is in a rut pretty much and decides that the only way to go is up. He meets an old friend from High School(Anthony Anderson) who has become a producer (or whatever you call it in the case of classical music) and sees the opportunity. The song he decides to make for his premiere called "Whoop That Trick" delivered a great scene while being made. Anthony A. says to Terrance H. while the song is originally called "Beat That B****" "We're trying to get Radio play man, no one will play this. It's degrading to women." "Well what you mean man?" "We gotta change the title, it's degrating to women when you call them B*****s" "Well I ain't trying to call no H* no B****. How bout "Stomp that Ho" or "Whoop That Trick." This is my favorite scene!!! This is getting a little long... Bottom Line - MUST SEE!!! It's too late to see it now, but it's coming out on DVD January 10,2006!

pivotal plot point

Author: tlmfilmmaker from United States
30 October 2005

The character of Harold played by Claude Phillips was the most on point acting in the movie. Phillips' performance as a street bum who sold D Jay the small keyboard that helped hook the main character to pursue his dream was the strongest and yet, most understated scene in the movie. The interplay between D Jay and Harold was natural and believable. I expect to see Claude Phillips appear in more films in the future.

The movie in itself did not meet the hype of the film. Although we saw the inner workings of a particular pimp and his whores relationships, it did not express exactly how most black confident pimps operate in this game. For example, most pimps do not pimp out of their car, like D Jay. That is "chilli pimpin" and "spot pimpin." That mode is reserved for the shaking pimps. D Jay appeared to be more confident of his game and his control of his hoes. Conseqently, pimps who fit that profile, they instruct their lady or ladies on how to act in regards to procuring business and set them out on automatic pilot to ply their trade, with him or her behind the scenes waiting on the money.

Although, the acting was good, Terrance Howard and his pregnant ho overstated the Southern dialect in trying to talk Memphis. However, Howard hit a homerun with his rapping. Perhaps, he should consider exploring that talent further.

Excellent & so real

Author: BronzeKeilani26 from SF. Calif. USA
26 October 2005

I really don't like movies laced w/ struggles & oppression which take some of us back down memory lane if were not still on it but Hustle & Flow was great! I was able to relate to almost all the characters thru experience & my life had a great ending just like this. For those of you who assume the movie is over exaggerated or too much was put on it, trust me it wasn't. My son decided to take me out to see a movie & this was our choice. I was very surprised to see the showing packed w/Caucasians & elderly ones at that too so I sent my son out to make sure we were in the right showing. My boyfriend once told me that they enjoy stories of our lives & observing what oppression is about. I was thrilled to see this movie kept it real & they enjoyed it from the beginning to the end. I always have loved Terence's acting & he shined at his best in Hustle & Flow. Surprisingly A. Anderson was likable in this movie & all the characters played their roles to the tee giving it the realness that made it so enjoyable. This is one movie I have got to own!

Best film of '05

Author: beatsbeats from United States
10 October 2005

This was the best film I saw in 2005 and I doubt anything this fall will be able to top it. When I first saw the previews, I assumed that it would be another in a string of weak hip-hop films that have been released recently. However, the Sundance buzz and critical acclaim hooked me in and I'm glad because it is a really great film and though the Oscars will probably snub it, it deserves an award for Best Actor (Terrence Howard). Howard's character, DJay, is a Mephis pimp who is struggling to make ends meet after his number one moneymaker, Shug, becomes pregnant and another hoe starts acting up and he has to kick her out of his house, in a particularly violent and disturbing scene. A chance run-in with old schoolmate Key, who has small business recording gospel choirs and legal depositions, encourages him to re-think a career as an emcee. With a little convincing, Key agrees to help DJay and the two set about recording DJay's raps with the help of an enthusiastic white boy (played by DJ Qualls) who has a penchant for making dope crunk beats. The film has been compared to "8 Mile," but it is actually a much different, much better film with more focus on the music and less on the protagonist's personal problems. There are some great lines, including DJay's soliloquy at the start of the film, and some very humorous scenes, especially with Nola, DJay's "snowflake," who steals every scene she is in. And the music is amazing! These beats are as fresh as anything coming out of the Dirty South right now. It is rare to see a film where every character is played perfectly, and this is one of them. If you don't like hip-hop, you might not understand the power that this film has, and if you are bothered by prostitution you might be disgusted by some scenes. But I feel that it goes a long way toward humanizing pimps and prostitutes and does not just portray them as the dirty side of society or as ridiculous caricatures. Also, DJay's hunger to become a rapper is more poignant than Rabbit's and 8 Mile. So if you want a film that will make you laugh, cry and nod your head to some cutting-edge crunk, this is it.

Truthful, raw, passionate film

Author: J. Cat McDonald (catmacart@aol.com) from California
20 September 2005

My first education came from the streets. I know about pimps and ho's and I know about grifters and players. My second education came from the prison systems of America. My third educational installment, thus far, is academic and from traditional universities: a BFA (Fine Art) and a MA in Psychology. All education begins in the cradle and ends in the grave. Along the way,if we are lucky we have a dream. Hustlers understand this intuitively. I appreciate artists and craftsmen who grab hold of a dream so vibrant it's alive. Bravo to the community of artists who hustled allowing this movie to flow.This was a film draped in passion and raw vision. Even the cigarette smoke snaking up and out of flaring nostrils to get a point across was rhythm. Those that nit picked about small inconsistencies missed the vision....Bravo written word, bravo superb acting ensemble, bravo to those with a vision that won't let go!

It's hard out here...

Author: RecoWilliams (RecoWilliams@yahoo.com) from Arlington, Texas
19 September 2005

This movie definitely was not intended for immature audiences. This movie is rate R for a reason. Now that I got my kiddie disclaimer out of the way.

This was one of the most interesting movies that have since "Crash". This movie takes you into the harsh side of the world of hip hop. So many people live lives thinking they will make it big. For others the only option they have to survive is to make it big.

In this movie hustle and flow you see the struggle the main character, Dee Jay, takes as he sees a way out through music. As a small time pimp and drug dealer he is simply tired of hustling.

This movie pulls you into it's world. It's not a world that many I know would ever be involved in, but it was like looking at a documentary of the next big hip hop star. I was amazed. Visually this movie is just astounding. The camera angles and shots chose. The pace of the movie, everything was absolutely perfect.

I am predicting Terrence Howard to get nominated for an Oscar because of his strong performance in this movie as well as his supporting role in Crash. The combination of these two great movies should have him with at least one nomination. It's amazing he's in both of my top two movies of 2005.

Keep them coming Terrence! He also has an HBO movie that came out this year called Lackawanna Blues it's an interesting movie based off a stage play. If you can find it watch it! Hustle and Flow is one of the most unique movies made this year! Definitely if you are over 18 and can bear through hearing language you don't speak yourself, then go watch this movie.

Producer? director?

Author: eug weatheford from United States
1 September 2005

I have been told that the director...(maybe producer from how it sounds) is currently working on a new movie project unfortunately he wont let the pyramid be used as shelter for the current disaster relief programs because he is going to use it in his movie therefore the pyramid cant release the space unless said person allows..I am from memoirs and I would like to say this movie isn't memoirs the crime rate is unreal memoirs isn't a city to put in the spotlight but thats my opinion..as for whats going on with the relief maybe he is too into the city to care anything about whats currently going on deeper south. its just not right, may I also add hurricane survivors who fled to memoirs are currently being robbed and stolen from.Thats the city I am talking about.

Hustle and Flow ending not so absurd **SPOILERS**

Author: stevel-4 from Los Angeles, CA
29 August 2005

In response to other's posting I thought I would share my thoughts on the Hustle and Flow movie. I personally liked Anthony Anderson's performance, it was decent and compared to his stereotypical roles of the loud mouth funnyman, it was certainly different and a shock.

As for the gunplay in the movie I found that to be realistic and not fluff. It shows that even though DJay has tried to turn his life around legitimately, he cannot completely leave everything behind. He will always have a street mentality first and foremost which includes vengeance paid out in the form of retribution, the only way he knows how. Eleven month jail sentence for attempted murder? Thats not far from reality. Rappers being immortalized for violence and criminal endeavors? That is nothing new--just pick up any hip-hop magazine (XXL, Source) and you can read endless exploits. The scene which struck me as most odd was in the correction center where the two prison guards *happen* to have a mix tape on them right when DJay gets booked. That seemed a little far-fetched, along with his "Everyone needs a dream" cliché line. To me that was the flaw in an otherwise pretty good film.

**** While "Hustle" trucks along proficiently enough, even creating some future crunk hits through DJay's flow along the way (with song titles like "Whoop That Trick"), the film's goodwill is obliterated in the final 30 minutes. If the film wasn't teetering enough on the edge of formula for the first two acts, it sinks like a stone into absurdity when tempers flare and guns are drawn for the finale. Brewer had a curious way of mounting a big audience-pleasing urban film experience with "Hustle," but his instincts turn to dust with this closer, which props up DJay as some type of hero when the film wisely never bothered to take sides before. Brewer also sees fit to hand "Hustle" a happy ending, which is preposterous, and taints the entire experience. Even DJay wouldn't swallow that much good fortune coming to him. ---- 6/10