IMDb > Hustle & Flow (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Hustle & Flow

Hustle & Flow More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 21: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

Oh my, oh my. ...

Author: Orange Banana from United States
30 July 2006

People, let me tell you something, and please read this through so you don't get the wrong impression here: I'm not a big fan of movies containing similar plots that involve mostly "black" culture, Ebonics, pimps and the kind of materialism they promote. And that's partly because I've seen a number of them. So, first time a friend of mine told me he had "Hustle & Flow" on a DVD, I said "Nah, thanks." But then after about 4 months, for some reason I went to check the reviews for this title and decided to take a chance. I rented it and then ripped it to my hard drive, for those evenings when you have nothing better to watch. Then one day, I helped this guy with his motorcycle and he wanted to pay me for that. I refused to accept money from him but instead he tucked about 1g of pot I'm my pocket. I's been a while since I've taken any and I though, hey, let me refresh my memory.

So there I am, stoned like an Indian cow, in front of my 24" widescreen LCD, starting this DVD with the following mindset: "If it's not entertaining in the first 10 minutes I'm zeroing this movie for good".

And the the very first scene, where he reveals his riped mind to this ho' who couldn't compose one simple, meaningful sentence as a reply to his 5-6 minutes dissertation, blew my fckng mind to pieces. I couldn't stop watching, my eyeballs where drying up, I didn't want to blink. The whole movie flows with such characters, each is worth studying. But most of them develop throughout certain time period, while DJay was already developed, fully bloomed. So here we are, watching this knightly character who knew what he wanted so much more than the others that he simply hanglides through them throughout the whole movie.

You must see this movie stoned cause I cannot guarantee what would I say if I wasn't. So take no chances, get some weed from your neighbors teen and rent this mottafuka at once. And make sure you watch it with someone who has the similar mindset like you or just be alone.

Let me know what you think.

Hustle and Flow will have you hustling to a theater

Author: JBene1 from United States
9 February 2005

At first glance Hustle and Flow may appear to be a goofy film about the hard- knock life of a pimp trying to break into the rap world, but after viewing the film at Sundance it is clear that this dramatic film stands heads and shoulders above its peers. TERRENCE DASHON HOWARD has a break-out performance as DJay, the pimp with bigger dreams of becoming a rap star. TARYN MANNING and TARAJI P. HENSON share the screen wonderfully with HOWARD as his "supporting ladies". ANTHONY ANDERSON and DJ QUALLS complete this rat pack as the men behind the music. As the film unfolded, I found myself invested in the characters fears, hopes, and dreams. They are stuck in a world of prostitution and drugs, and everyone's hopes to break out of that cyclical world are resting on DJay's shoulders. I enjoyed watching the characters develop and learning more about their inner wishes as the plot progressed. They may be rough around the edges, but they know how to work what they have. Also the music in the film should be credited as a supporting role. A great soundtrack will be coming out of Hustle and Flow. The film avoids a cliché ending, yet it still satisfies the viewers needs.

It's great!

Author: bernardo_ve from Barcelona, Spain
28 December 2015

I just saw this movie about 10 years after it was released. It's a typical underdog story, but there's something about the detail and small steps towards achieving something great that I loved. You can feel DJay's frustration, passion and push forward towards achieving a goal and a dream, something that unexpectedly infects the people surrounding him, to the point of creating a cult following and loyalty. An interesting character, crossing thin lines between abusive and comprehensive, but through passion creates empathy. With an AMAZING soundtrack, great acting with heavyweights like Terrence Howard and Taraji P. Henson and a great pace and story, I think this was one of the most underrated movies of 2005.

Interesting, engaging movie

Author: grantss from Sydney, Australia
29 July 2015

Interesting, engaging movie.

A small-time hustler in Memphis, Tennessee reaches a crossroads in his life. Pondering what to do next him and a few friends start to record hip-hop music, written by him, in his house. It's good but will it get them anywhere?

Good, engaging plot. There's a grittiness and realness which makes the story so appealing. The characters are hardly perfect people, which makes the whole experience so much more plausible.

Solid direction by Craig Brewer (who also wrote the script). I'm not a hip-hop fan but the soundtrack works very well.

Terrance Howard is solid in the lead role and gets great support from Taryn Manning, especially, Anthony Andersen, Taraji J Henson and Ludicrous. DJ Qualls is the token white guy in the cast, and is, as almost always, fairly irritating.

Worth a watch.

The roots of "Empire".

Author: Bob-45 from Savannah, GA
7 March 2015

My wife and I are HUGE of "Empire". So, imagine when I discovered two of my favorite actors, Terrence Howard ("Lucius") and Taraji P. Henson ("Cookie") had appeared together 10 years earlier in a similarly-themed movie about hip-hop. Unfortunately, while "Empire" is consistently entertaining, "Hustle & Flow" builds slowly and unpleasantly. While Terrence Howard's "Djay" is an earlier incarnation of "Lucius," Taraji P. Henson's "Shug" appears mentally-challenged. Worse, the two characters responsible most for the outcome are white. Also, the scene where "Shug" gives "Djay" comes out of nowhere. Just WHERE did the very-pregnant "Shug" get the money to give "Djay" this VERY expensive gift? Not to mention, the Oscar-winning song, "Its hard out there for a pimp" is not as good as the original song created for "Empire"; and it pretty much the only song in the movie.

I fear many of those who see the reviews and awards for "Hustle & Flow" are going to be as disappointed as my wife. I liked "Hustle & Flow" for its raw honesty. However I resent the "tools" given to white racists who will watch "Hustle & Flow" and say, "See?" I give "Hustle & Flow" a "6".

Not the usual blaxsploitation

Author: SnoopyStyle
28 April 2014

DJay (Terrence Howard) is a Memphis pimp and a drug dealer with a dream. His hoe Nola (Taryn Manning) is actually more of a friendly co-worker. Shug (Taraji P. Henson) is a pregnant mess. When he buys a kid's keyboard from a street drunk, he renews his music dreams. He bumps into his old schoolmate Key (Anthony Anderson) who with Shelby (DJ Qualls) helps him record his songs. It's a struggle as he hustles for the recordings and the chance to get his music played. He aims to bring his music to successful rapper Skinny Black (Ludacris), but it's a long winding road.

This movie has loads of atmosphere due to the gritty Memphis locations. On the surface, it's another blaxsploitation movie about the hustle, rappers, drug deals, pimps and hoes. But it's much more about the downtrodden who still have their own dreams. It takes the stereotypical characters and give them life. Also there's a scattering of white characters here. So it's not a simple movie about pimps and hoes. Then there is also the great music. There is still no other Oscar winning song quite like "It's Hard Out Here for a Pimp". The performances are superb especially Terence Howard. Even Anthony Anderson puts in a solid dramatic performance.

Gritty Rag-to-Rich Tale!

Author: g-bodyl from United States
24 November 2013

Hustle & Flow is a good tale although it's slight Hollywood-ized version of a rags-to-rich story. But that doesn't stop this movie from giving effective performances and a gritty hustle and pimp story. This story is one that the small-town people can relate with and it's well-written one at that. Now, this is not my kind of music but I can still appreciate the way people have come to succeed in this music industry especially when things seem the darkest.

Craig Brewer's first feature is about a full-time pimp named Djay. Djay wants to get out of that business and prove to the world he has skills to be a rapper. When his childhood friend, who is a millionaire rapper plans on coming to town, Djay enlists the help of his friends to make sure he can succeed.

In 2005, this film as well as Crash put Terrence Howard on the map. He is brilliant as Djay. We can see his earnest passion to become a rapper and he brings much to this role. This character is what brought Terrence Howard to stardom. The supporting cast is decent as well even though some of the female characters are quite annoying.

Overall, this is a borderline great film that tells the traditional rag-to-rich tale. This is not my kind of music, but I can appreciate all the hard work these people do. I don't know where this film would be without Terrence. I enjoyed this gritty tale for the most part. I rate this film 8/10.

Do the pimp and rap

Author: Prismark10 from United Kingdom
7 September 2013

Hustle & Flow is a strange hybrid. Part rap, part urban drama and set in the south. Terrence Howard is a Memphis pimp, Djay who runs a stable of prostitutes and still has trouble making ends meet. No wonder life is hard for a pimp.

After an encounter with an old school friend who also works as a music mixer he decides to write and rap about his life experiences, record music and hoping to have a shot at the big time. He hopes to this by persuading a big music star played by Ludicrous to listen to his tape on his return to town for a July the fourth party.

Terrence Howard would not be seen as your first choice to play a rapping street hustler as he tends to be known for more urbane characters in films such as Crash but holds attention as the hustler and rapper who lives for today and then struggles to do that. He is no hero or even that sympathetic, he just wants to survive but at least he does have dreams and talent as the words seem to flow out of him.

I guess the films might be problematic if you do not like rap and the subject matters of the rap songs with its swearing might be off putting for some.

There is tenderness, when Djay, Shelby and Key get together to make music and its at this point the film displays its heart when before that, its Djay pimping out his women.

honest, artful, beautiful

Author: lorios from Athens, GA (USA)
21 January 2006

I first heard of this film when the NPR show "Fresh Air" played interviews with Craig Brewer and Terrence Howard in the summer of 2005. I put it then on my list of "Films I absolutely have to see" (just crossed off Brokeback Mountain, still waiting to get to Paradise Now). I had the date that Hustle and Flow was coming out on DVD on my calendar, and I finally got to see this film last night. It's just incredible! The range of emotions that the actors display (and that the film evokes in the viewers) is exceptional. This is a world that I know nothing about (not just the pimp/hooker part -- I mean, I've never even been to Memphis!) but I feel as though I've lived in it now. Congratulations to everyone involved in making this beautiful movie, because you ALL did a top notch job! (not to play favorites, but especially the actors who play DJay (Terrence Howard) and Shug (Taraji P. Henson) -- amazing!)

Move over Denzel Washington, Terrence Howard is in town

Author: DJAkin (Donjakin1988@gmail.com) from AZ
18 January 2006

Terrence Howard was very good as the pimp in this movies. Terrence Howard is amazing and his acting is accompanied by ANTHONY ANDERSON who also delivered the goods. The best part was when Terrence Howard was talking to Skinny Black in the bar. That was a great scene. I won't say what Terrence Howard did. He is a great actor and WHOOP THAT TRICK stuck in my head for days after seeing this movie. Terrence Howard is a rapper in disguise. He was able to pull off the Terrence Howard shuffle with no problem at all. Terrence Howard is not Denzel yet, but he is well onto his way. Terrence Howard is the next big black thing to come out of Hollywood. I hope that Terrence Howard decides to continue making great movies because he is up there with Forrest Whittaker now!