IMDb > Hustle & Flow (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Hustle & Flow

Hustle & Flow More at IMDbPro »

Page 2 of 21:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

The emperor is naked, people!

Author: arrbee55 from United States
13 August 2005

After reading through the comments, it looks like at least a couple of people saw the same movie I did. Hustle & Flow - this movie is a hustle and more of us should follow our instincts to flow out of the theater in the first minutes of the film - No, It doesn't get any better the longer you stay. . . misogyny, stereotypes, sexism, patron-ism, Hustle & Flow has it all. Yevette finally "sees the light", abandons her middle-class existence and joins the crew at the house full of ho's. Nola don't mind DJay messin with her head cause sometimes it needs messin with. DJay, the sympathetic reformed pimp throws one of his girls, and an infant, out on the street - wow, my kind of hero. I'm not sure what audience this "black movie" is intended to reach, but I am definitely on a crusade to minimize the number of people who waste too much time and too much money watching this, yet another in a long line of movies that denigrate Blacks and women.

A combination of strong acting, realistic direction, nice music and real emotions

Author: christian123
28 July 2006

D-Jay (Terrence Howard) is a pimp from Memphis trying to do more with his life. When he learns that a hugely successful rapper, played by Ludicrous, is returning home to Memphis, he plans to become a rapper himself, writing songs about life as a pimp in hopes of being discovered.

Hustle and Flow is an inspiring, engaging and intense film of becoming something. The majority of the film is realistic with relatable characters and situations. It shows the many struggles of life and it proves that hard work does pay off. The beginning of the film was a little tough to watch because of the living style of the main characters. It was a little scary to see what some people have to do just to get by. I think director Craig Brewer did a fine job at portraying these situations without making them seem too cheesy or over the top. The second half of the film focused on D-Jay and his struggles to find his right music. The music is surprisingly good and meaningful. I say "surprisingly" because rap doesn't really interest me but the film actually made it tolerable.

The lyrics don't hold back and they may be offensive to some. I thought they were okay and they had more to do about life rather than the usual stuff you hear in rap songs. My favorite scenes were the ones that took place in the recording room. As cheesy as this may sound, they were more inspirational and engaging. It showed different types of people working together and coming up with some nice material. The final act features D-Jay meeting with Skinny Black and hoping his songs get picked up by him. The conversation between Skinny and D-Jay was pretty good but it was also a little depressing. It's sad to have someone lie right to your face about how good you are and then find your music in the toilet. It just shows how tough the real world is and it makes D-Jay tougher for not giving up. The ending wasn't as strong as everything else. It was a little cheesy and unrealistic. However in some ways, it was nice to see a sort of happy ending.

The acting is terrific and everyone gives a good performance. Terrence Howard plays D-Jay and he gives a very engaging performance. His character isn't very likable but it was easy to root for him. His performance was just that good. Taryn Manning is just as good as Terrence and she also deserved an Oscar nomination. I can't believe this is the same girl from Crossroads considering her performance is really strong. I don't really like Anthony Anderson but even he gave a good performance and it was easily his best performance ever. Taraji P. Henson and DJ Qualls are also just as good as the other actors. Personally, I think Ludicrous gave a better performance in this film than in Crash.

While the film is pretty good, it's not for everyone. Most of the characters are unlikable due to their lifestyles and attitudes. Some people may find it hard to care about these characters if they think so low about them. Also, the women in this movie are mistreated and some people may be disgusted by this. The story is also unoriginal and it there were a few clichés. Personally, I thought that the acting and the direction were strong enough to overcomes these weaknesses. In the end, Hustle and Flow is a difficult film to watch at times but it's still a strong film that's worth checking out. Rating 9/10

Interesting example of modern disrespect for women

Author: robospork from United States
14 June 2006

This movie is useless as a "realistic depiction" of life as an up n coming rapper. Sure some people may actually live like this, but I think it is more a portrait of what white America thinks black America is like, not how it actually is. Also, I was shocked with the way the women characters were repeatedly emotionally pulverized and abused mentally. This is quite an interesting insight into a real, right now, modern perspective of gender inequality. Forget all the racial stuff they tried to push into our faces here and think about how the women were treated. It was completely awful and it is not reality... it is a glimpse into the warped male minds that made this movie.

Who cares about all the cuss words... the truly troubling stuff in this movie come out in unintended innuendo, none of it is intentional.

God what an awful 8-mile wannabe, and 8-mile sucked.

Great performance in the lead but the material isn't all that it needs to be and slips away totally at the end (minor spoilers)

Author: bob the moo from United Kingdom
21 November 2005

DJay is a smalltime pimp, selling his one or two worn girls out of his battered Cadillac or seedy strip-joints. However time has worn his enthusiasm for the game and he longs for more. Meeting up with an old classmate who has recording experience, DJay sees the opportunity to take his experience and use it to make his dreams come true through hip-hop. His aspirations cannot get him away from the reality of his situation but the impending visit of local rapper-made-good Skinny Black could be the break he needs.

It is not possible to talk about this film without focusing on the person that really puts it all on his back and carries it from start to finish – Terrence Howard. Never someone who has impressed me, Howard did well in a small role in Crash and has improved again to produce a convincing central performance here. DJay could have been a big cliché played by a rapper that deeply enjoys the credibility of the pimp role but in Howard's hands the role is much closer to being a real person. He doesn't enjoy the pimp life so much as convincingly mire himself in it – his eyes are filled with an anger and pain that say more about the person than a thousand Jay-Z songs ever will. His character is key to the film and it is Howard that makes this part work.

The rest of the film is more or less worthy of him but loses its way right at the end. For the majority we are allowed to act as witnesses without sides in his story – we aren't pushed to see him as a good man or a bad man, nor to allow the fact he might be "good deep down" to excuse his violent exploitation of women. It is a fine line but the film balances it well. This success helps to make the plot more interesting considering that it is only ever a note away from being just one big "making it out the hood" movie. The scenes of hip-hop hope are a bit cheesy but they are well balanced out by the sleazy and unglamorous reality of the lifestyle. It could have been deeper and more about the characters but it is still interesting enough to do well – up to a point.

Unfortunately this point is about 20 minutes before the end of the film when suddenly Brewer abandons his approach and falls back on cliché, easy options and, worst of all, an optimistic ending that sees him holding DJay up in a way that he had mostly manage to avoid doing. The whole end flies in the face of what had gone before and throws off the balancing act it had done up till that point. It is a shame because it should have been more downbeat and interesting but instead it takes the line of least resistance. It may have been Brewer but, in his defence, it does smell slightly like the work of a studio executive or an American test audience. It still just about works although not even Howard can cover the disappointing in the final act.

The rest of the cast do well to help him. Usually Anderson is enough to make me avoid a film but, as with the most recent series of The Shield, he shows that he can act and has a solid serious side. He is good and surprisingly unshowy support for Howard. Manning is good as Nola but again the end of the film sees her betrayed and asked to be something she is not. The vulnerable and pregnant Shug is really well delivered by Henson; her character may be simple on paper but she does well to be really quite touching and sympathetic. Parker has a black cliché in her finger-clicking, swearing performance but she is good enough to do the job without dragging the rest down a notch. Ludicrous (who also impressed me in Crash) is pretty close to his rapping personae in an easy role but he deserves credit for taking a beating on screen and being convincing in his one role. Hayes is a bit distracting in such a small role but again is a nice addition.

Overall this is a pretty good film that pulls off the balancing act and avoids judgement for the majority, helped in no small way by a very strong turn from Howard. However at the end it undoes all this god work with an ending that is so easy and pat that I genuinely doubted it had been delivered by the same person who had written and directed the first two-thirds. Close to cliché and corn at times but it mostly mixes them well and the film is worth seeing.

It's Hard Out Here for a Child Molester Too...

Author: everybody_is_a_critic from United States
29 March 2006

Wow, did I ever detest this movie. I shut it off after an hour and can't find anything good to say about it.

Now we're glorifying pimps… It's incredibly offensive to me that the song "It's Hard Out Here for a Pimp" won an academy award. (worst of all, I can't get the stupid hook out of my head). We're supposed to feel bad for how hard this guy's life is? I could feel bad for him if he was the one having to sell his body day after day – but I really can't get much sympathy going for a pimp. How about, "It's hard out here for a child molester." Does that grab you?

It's hard enough out 'here' for a law-abiding, gainfully employed black man – how about showing THAT in the movies. Instead of the same representation black men get over and over – pimps, drug dealers, addicts (or the 'success' stories: rappers and athletes).

Even though the movie doesn't show him beating on his 'employees,' you know that he must – the women are clearly scared of him and his first song is entitled, 'Whoop that Trick' (toned down from his original title, 'Beat that Bitch'). And no, I don't believe he's referring to beating up a customer (which is not really too common). Some statistics: "80% of prostitutes are sexually assaulted by pimps via sadistic sex; 71% of pimps use drugs to control the women; and 34% of the women received death threats from pimps personally or to their family." - from "Sex Trafficking In the United States, Coalition Against Trafficking of Women Study," Raymond, Hughes, Gomez (3/01)

The women are all incredibly superficial characters (the weepy, weak-willed caregiver; the dumb but docile white girl; and the bitch).

And Djay's dream of being a rapper. I'm sorry - just because he has something he needs to 'spit out' doesn't mean it's something worth listening to.

Black on Black Hate

Author: uptownbill (uptownbill@hotmail.com) from New York
25 July 2005

Hustle and Flow must be the favorite movie of The Klan, David Duke, and Clarence Thomas. Not since Birth of a Nation has there been a worst depiction of African American people. Every character in the movie is completely self loathing and full of misogynistic thoughts and actions. Terrance Howard plays a failure of a pimp who mistreats his prostitutes and throws one of them on the porch in the middle of the night along with her crying baby in his walker.

This movie depicts that there is no craft to making rap music and that it is the theme music of the slime of society. Every song is about drugs, violence, bitches and hoes.

He later beats up a drugged rapper and shots his way out of the situation. He goes off to jail but not before he convinces his white prostitute that she is in charge. What a movie hero.

John Singleton is the new D.W. Griffith perpetuating destructive black stereotypes. What did we do to you John? Who hurt you? Hustle and Flow should be called Black on Black hate. The hustle is the marketing to hip hop audiences; the flow is the cash flow the studio will make.

uptownbill@hotmail.com

Enjoyable like Showgirls or an Arch Hall Jr. Film

Author: paulrichard_rocks from United States
27 July 2012

I am amazed at all the 10 stars/high ratings given to this film. I actually enjoy watching this film in the same vein as I like watching Showgirls. This film is so bad it actually becomes an inverse of itself in an enjoyable way. I would rate this film up with Showgirls to be one of the worst films ever. By the same token, it is an enjoyable film to watch and laugh out loud.

By the way, when Terrance Howard was rapping, it appeared his voice was running through a processor of some kind, vintage whenever-the-film-was-made. If he couldn't have afforded microphones, did he send the blond back to the store for another "transaction"?

This film is all flow

Author: dj56 from United Kingdom
28 August 2008

When, people originally are told about this film, understandably the idea of rappers and gun crime can seem a little cliché, and almost annoying watching another film about idiots shooting each merely for the sake of it.

However, this film could not be further from that, this is deeply psychological movie, which in its own way can make you sad and Happy at the same time. Terrance Howard (D Jay) plays a what can only be described as a philosophical pimp, whose desire to better himself is truly up lifting.

Though whats makes this film so spectacular is not really the music, but how the music is made. In this film we watch the process of not only the lyrics but the beats and original sound, that separates this movie from its grotty genre and elevates it to that same level as pulp fiction and reservoir Dogs.

Amazing..........

Author: nama chakravorty from India
13 May 2009

Craig Brewer's 'Hustle & Flow' is one of the finest independent films to come out in Hollywood. A films that shows reality in its truest form. A story about a pimp aspiring to become a rapper. The idea is fantastic if first of all, and the execution is just a cherry on the cake. Agreed the film ends up sad, but it leaves you satisfied and energetic. 'Hustle & Flow' rocks.

Performances: Terrence Howard is fantastic, the soul of the film. He's astonishing in every frame he appears in, and is easily one of the best performances of this decade. Anthony Anderson is as usual, excellent. Taraji P.Henson delivers an earnest performance. Taryn Manning is a revelation. She's superb. Others are decent.

on the whole 'Hustle & Flow' is a brave and reverting film. I love this film, and I recommend each and every cinema this film. Two Thumbs Up!

What a shame!

Author: chatbada from France
8 March 2007

This is a real shame! This film has a LOT OF QUALITIES : the acting is good, as well as the photography and even the story is not so bad...so, what's wrong? First, there are too many problems with the montage : so many time, you feel that a scene could be shorter, because what is shown is not so interesting, or because what is meant at a time is so obvious that it could be just suggested and shorten but not shown entirely. And that is to me, the worst waste in this film. Especially for a musical movie, rhythm is the key, and here, it lacks rhythm, which, pardon me, for a rap movie is a kind of paradox, isn't it? The second weak point, is about the acting : I agree that THE ACTORS ARE EXCELLENT, but you feel sorry for them, as the direction missed to bring some changes, some variations in their acting, so without those variations you get more and more tired, even with the best actors. So, because I am not a modest person, I will say as an advice for everybody here that want to make a film for me:0) be more suggestive, and never forget VARIATIONS, and Rhythm!!!!

Page 2 of 21:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]