IMDb > Come Away Home (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Come Away Home More at IMDbPro »

Big Girl in a Little Pond

Author: jrboryk21 from United States
19 April 2005

This is a wonderful family film that brings the not so distant family a little closer together. "Come Away Home" is a very heart felt comedy that will have you laughing one minute and sobbing the next. This film is a rendition of what families truly are in today's society. It was refreshing to see a film with truth and honesty in how relationships between family members truly exist. This movie also brings into light a beautiful location, that many know to be as beautiful as it was captured on the "big screen". From the young actors (Annie) to the young at heart (Grandpa), this movie will appeal to the inner-child in all of us. With witty dialect and a decent plot "Come Away Home" is a movie the entire family will enjoy watching.

beautifully produced movie

Author: edtgate from South Carolina
1 July 2005

On May 11 I had the pleasure of taking my 12-year-old granddaughter and nine-year-old grandson to see the movie "Come Away Home." Initially, I wanted to take the children because I thought they might enjoy scenes from the Hilton Head Island area but didn't expect much more.

To our very pleasant surprise, "Come Away Home" is a beautifully produced movie with one of the most outstanding story lines I have seen in quite some time. The acting is top notch, including islander Gregg Russell, who did a wonderful job. The scenes from Hilton Head were enjoyable but I must say that this movie reaches far beyond Hilton Head. This is a movie for the world to see.

Word of caution: Grandpas should plan to bring a few tissues and hugging of the grandchildren will be in order on the way out of the theater.

A wonderful film. Beautifully written, acted and directed.

Author: clarkdiana from La Habra Height, CA
17 August 2005

A wonderful family film. Beautifully written, acted and directed. The story was touching without being the least bit sappy. I am amazed by what can be done what a small amount of money and a great deal of talent. In an era of "over the top", big budget movies with little substance, this movie was a breadth of fresh air. The two main characters, Grandpa Donald played by Paul Dooley and Annie played by Jordan-Claire Green were particularly good. You got to know these people during the course of the film came to like them and were rooting for them to prevail. This was a truly delightful movie which I thoroughly enjoyed.

Fantastic family film

Author: nicfrompgh from Pittsburgh, PA
29 April 2005

"Come Away Home" has finally given families what they have waited so long for...a movie that the entire family can enjoy every part of without one uncomfortable moment.

Beautifully shot and wonderfully acted, "Come Away Home" is one of the best family films I have ever seen. The story really holds your attention and the little girl is a joy to watch.

Being a parent in this day and age, it is hard to find such a feel-good film that the whole family can watch together.

I don't know everywhere it is playing, but if you have a chance, you should make sure you see it. I hope it does very well...

Home Grown

Author: tookool1056 from HHI
7 June 2005

Although this movie does not have the "Hollywood" flash; it does have a great story. Living on the island where this was filmed, does give a little added incentive to see, but I truly enjoyed this. The film does resemble a simpler 1980's movie. This is great for families. If you don't see it at the movies is is a definite rental. Enjoy! ONe user said that the film did not portray HHI, but the films intent was not to give a history lesson of the island, but to communicate the personal stories that effects three generations within one family. I agree Hilton Head has more to offer that the movie portrays, but enjoy it as it is.

Great film for the entire family

Author: kscovern from United States
17 August 2005

What a sweet film. I actually saw this film multiple times and it was better each time. This is one of those stories that you can see year after year and still relate to. A touching story that made you laugh and cry. The music was great and added to the overall great production. The movie was also visually beautiful with great cinematography. You left the theater uplifted. The young girl gave a heartfelt performance and the banter between the Grandfather and his best friend was hysterical. Everyone has probably had a person in their lives similar to the characters that make this a very real story. You hate the young girl in the beginning but truly grow to love her by the end of the film. You don't have to worry about the content of this film as it is appropriate for anyone. People of all ages and backgrounds can relate to it. Great film to see with your kids or grandparents. This is one of those films you will want to watch over and over.

A rare find- a clean family movie that you will really like!!

Author: from Columbus Ohio
4 June 2005

I was a bit skeptical going in to see this movie, being that it has a G rating and was presented as a family movie genre film. That melted away in the first 15 minutes. What you have here is just a good movie for the sake of being good, with real characters and deluge. Annie is a very realistic girl for her age and her behavior isn't sugar coated. Grandpa Donald and Barney are people that you feel like you could have met or known at one time. Its just very easy to get caught up in the movie and be taken away for a bit, which is what I look for in a good movie. You can't help but be moved and in the end come away feeling good after this movie.

Fun Family Film!

Author: ashnkat from United States
30 May 2005

My family migrates to Hilton Head Island, the setting for Come Away Home, every summer. My kids were very excited to see Come Away Home because their favorite entertainer, Gregg Russell stars in the film. My kids (ages 3, 9, and 11) loved this movie!!! It kept their attention from start to finish. We all enjoyed seeing Hilton Head landmarks on the big screen and the actors were perfectly cast. It was nice to see Leah Thompson on the big screen again. My kids have seen "Back to the Future" a million times and they recognized Leah right away. Overall, we all enjoyed this family movie and we will buy it when it comes out on DVD. Our family gives this movie 10 stars!!!

great family movie

Author: shelbell44 from United States
30 May 2005

We thoroughly enjoyed seeing this film as a family, which is a rare thing in this day and age. The actors are perfectly cast and the story reveals such a believable scenario that anyone can relate to their own lives. There is so often little to no respect shown from younger generations to the older ones that I thought it was a perfect "life lesson" that should be seen more often. We all had some chuckles and fought back the tears in certain scenes, and would recommend it highly to anyone as a feel good movie!!!

We as a family have never been to Hilton Head, but know many people from the Pittsburgh area that are regulars. I think it would be especially fun for them to see the area on screen and enjoy the music of the great singer-Gregg Russell. I have taken my great uncle-90 years old- to see this movie and he also enjoyed it thoroughly.

Come Away Home

Author: gregc2 from United States
7 August 2005

COME AWAY HOME is a surprising feel good movie for the whole family. It's a "PG" movie not just for kids. It was a pleasant night out with no violence, sex, or bad language but a movie that goes back to traditional values and a simpler life. And, yes, there are some "issues", such as rebellious teen, too busy parents, anger at the dad-grandfather character, but these represent things we can all relate to, and hopefully work out. Anyone who has ever visited Hilton Head, S.C. will recognize the scenery and location. While short-lived in theaters, it would be a great TV movie. I hope everyone will tune in! You won't be disappointed.