IMDb > "Into the West" (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

A Wondrous Journey into the Past and the Future

Author: Linda (wanbliwinyan@aol.com) from United States
16 July 2005

I have diligently watched this series since the beginning. I have re-watched all the episodes at least twice.

Having some knowledge of Native American history, I have found that again Spielberg has done his homework on both sides of the journey west.

I feel that he has portrayed both sides more than fair and hope that this movie will open the eyes of those who still believe in the stereo typed "Indian, Pioneer, and Mountain Man. I hope that this movie again will make people understand what happens to "Nations" when there is prejudice and ignorance.

I found some inconsistencies in some of the issues with the personal lives of Indians, that I am fairly sure are not true. For example men didn't attend the births of their children..This was considered bad luck.

I also felt sometimes that I must of missed something. For example, Naomi was with the wagon train that was attacked by the Cheyenne? Then she was suddenly named "Five Horses." I assume that meant she was bought from those that captured her from the wagon train. This whole episode, though romantic was a bit unrealistic.Women of her age were seldom if ever adopted into any tribe. They were consdered to be "untrainable."

I found the language a bit stilted at times, but, considering that a lot of these actors are from other tribes, I think they did exceptionally well.

I have waited since Dances with Wolves for a good, honest portrayal of Native Americans...I finally got it...Thank you to all involved!

Mitakuye Oyasin

'Hanble Omani Winyan

Scalping was commonplace and honorable

Author: njordbloodaxe-1 from United States
22 June 2005

It's interesting to read the comments about the show for me, since I was in charge of props for it. I disagree with the Native storyteller I'm afraid. Lately (within the last few years) some Native people and apologists claim that scalping was introduced by the whites. True, bounties were paid for scalps during the French & Indian War, and to a smaller extent, during the Revolution, but I'm afraid that scalping was already well known among Native peoples well before the whites were here. It was proof of a warrior's bravery, he gained some of the power of his enemy and the act was looked on with reverence. I don't see why this is looked on as such a horrifying thing anyway. Of course, by our standards, it's barbaric, but it wasn't so to many cultures in their own times. The Celts even collected enemy heads, for much the same motivation as our Native people took scalps. Frontiersmen also took Indian scalps for exactly the same reason. Any cursory glance at any book on Native Americans will show you decorated and honored scalps. Please be aware that the series contains 2 scalp dances, and one dance with some of the hands of Custer's men. This was taken from several pictographs and descriptions by participants. These things would not have been put in without extensive research.

A story every American should see...

Author: bejillian from United States
24 June 2005

"Into the West" is an amazing story, that anyone who calls themselves an American should see. This mini-series shows a heart-felt perspective of American History that no high school text book could possibly explain. The way they tell these unprecedented events through generations of two families, and the joys and tragedies that they endure keeps you glued to the screen every second. You have no idea how excited my mom and I were when we found out that EVERY episode would be two hours long!! We expected the first one to be two hours to reel you into the story, and then the rest would be an hour. But an hour each week just wouldn't be long enough to explore all of the different aspects of these people's journeys. And the cast is absolutely spectacular, especially Matthew Settle and Tonantzin Carmelo. The love they have for each other seems to make everything else in this tale a little more bearable. I'm going to stop now, because I could go on for hours and hours about this series if you let me. Steven Spielberg, you ROCK!!!

Into the West

Author: dkdavis30 from United States
13 June 2005

First of all, my husband & I loved the show. We thought it was great!!! I'm really looking forward to the upcoming episodes. I'm even spreading the word to people I work with to get them interested in it!

Second, it's just that...it's a show! It's made for TV & ratings. Although, they do a great job of trying to hold true to most parts of history, they can't hold true to everything and expect EVERYONE to enjoy it. You're always going to have people over analyze things & pick out the problem areas but truth be told, it's a great show & well made!

Last, maybe this gives you a better idea of just how much I enjoyed it.... I don't even care for western/Indian type movies/shows but I did this one. It's nice to see shows these days that aren't filled with profanity & sex but rather attempt to follow a life that some of us never knew. Seriously, at the end of the day, it was a "feel good" type of show & one I'm glad I took the time to watch!

Great entertainment

Author: ltbchow from United States
21 June 2005

My husband and I have really enjoyed the two episodes that have aired so far and we are eagerly anticipating the remaining episodes. This mini series is both entertaining and educational. I can only imagine the effort that was spent to recreate the look and feel of that period in time. The use of the native American language adds realism. Can you imagine how unrealistic it would look if all the native Americans spoke fluent English? This movie does a great job of depicting the journey west as something both exciting and extremely dangerous. I noticed in the comments section that some viewers find certain plot scenes unrealistic. You have to realize that the settlers were ordinary people with no special training regarding how to survive out west, therefore they succumb to drowning, diseases, and yes, getting run over by a wagon.

I also thought the casting was well done in this movie. I enjoyed watching Keri Russell, Matthew Settle, Jay Tavare, and the rest of the cast. At times the movie is moving at such a fast pace that I got the impression scenes were left out in order to fit into the time slot allowed. I hope a DVD will be released so we may see some extra scenes. I would highly recommend this movie to families or anyone who enjoys great entertainment.

Into The West

Author: lmittelstadt from United States
23 July 2005

I thought this was a excellent series.For those who want to degrade it should take the time to research Indian Affairs .There corrupt policy from day 1.With the full support of the U.S.Government that simply made treaties with the Native Americans to disregard,break,or flat out lie about the content and sent military forces to support corrupt Indian Agents, land barrens, speculators for the railroads.

We stole their land and made promises that were never going to be kept and they knew it(the government). The final Episode Ghost Dance and the massacre at Wounded Knee was so intense it made me ashamed to know that we could do this and be proud of ourselves.I have been to Wounded Knee it is a very sad place and now this series makes it more realistic as to what happened there.These were innocent people they slaughtered!

Well Done Show

Author: morningglory08 from United States
15 June 2005

I watched this not expecting much, and though the start was slow the show really picked up momentum by the second half. Acting was solid, but the storyline is what I think will really be good. I enjoyed the portrayal of both the settler/native side of the story. One thing that really makes the show unique is the use of native language- you hear English, several native languages, Spanish, and so on. That made it feel more authentic. I think that people who are interested in native culture will enjoy it, since it tells things from that point of view, but without being preachy or heavy handed- there are good and bad characters in both cultures. My only complaint is that the main character, Wheeler, is a little wide eyed and borders on corny at times, but hopefully that will get better as the series goes on.

The next best mini series that I ever saw

Author: Edward W. Gildner (edg3610@aol.com) from San Angelo, Texas
23 July 2005

I just finished seeing the final installment of the mini series "Into The West", and I was quite taken with the Indian nation was treated as a whole. As in any mini series, there will always be some fiction, but now I have a new appreciation for the way the Indian nations were treated as a people. My wife is part Cherokee, and a mixture of everything else, but my heart went out to the Lakota people, and to the entire Indian nation for the way they were treated by the white race. These were a race of very simple people, who just wanted to be left alone, but progress and greed got in their way, and this mini series made me sick that we could do this to any human being. I wish I could turn back the hands of time, because I would fight on their side against my own people, simply because these are probably the only honest people in this country. The one thing that did come out of this series is the dishonesty of our own government, we make an agreement, then we break it because it serves a purpose.

Great Series and Good Performances

Author: lorimarla from United States
15 June 2005

I've been watching this series since it began, and it really gives both sides of the picture. The performances of Native American actors, especially Irene Bedard (Pocahontas' voice) are solid. The other characters are significant but less impressive. The locations are scenic, and the camera work is sharp as well.

I would recommend as a supplement a recent book, "Making the White Man's Indian: Native Americnas and Hollywood Movies." The book covers 100 years of Indians in the movies and gives many behind-the-scenes stories. If you're interested in the subject and like movies about Native Americans, watch the series and check out this book.

A Great Mini-Series!

Author: 1stbrigade from United States
22 July 2005

In the spirit of "North and South" comes "Into the West," an emotionally-charged mini-series that chronicles the migration west, and the effects of manifest destiny on the Indian tribes that saw their lands taken from them by the white man. From the 1820s to 1891, we follow two families: the Wheeler family, who take part in the great migration west; and the family of Loved by the Buffalo, members of the Lakota Sioux Tribe. An amazing cast, brilliant writing, and thrilling cinematography take us back to that time when two great nations clashed, and whose fate would shape the destiny of America for all eternity! Grade: A+

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]