IMDb > Grilled (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 5 of 5: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5]

Decent time-passer

Author: johnnybower from Canada
22 July 2006

This movie is not what you might expect from the Raymond everybody loves and the King of Queens. To appreciate this, you'll need to set aside any expectations you have about Romano and James. It's a dark comedy more than anything else, but it's light-dark, if that makes any sense. Performances are very good throughout, and you just never know where this thing is gonna take you, so it kept my interest without the temptation to hit the fast-forward button - which puts it above most comedies these days. The only disappointment was Juliette Lewis, who does a very good job of playing a whack-job female druggie/boozer - unfortunately, we've seen that same character far too many times from her, and in this outing she does not bring anything special to the movie.

Nothing special, but passes the time well.

average movie. i expected better from these two

Author: the-teacherspet from United States
13 July 2006

it was an OK movie. i wish it had been a great, hilarious, movie like most would expect from these two comedians, but it wasn't. it is more of a dark comic and less of a comedy. yes, there are some truly hilarious scenes, but nothing seemed original, it seemed like a ripoff of some b-movie. now that i think about it, i just watched this movie, and although i laughed a couple times, its just not very memorable. not one scene really stands out as a highlight of the movie. it is worth watching once though. ^(^)^(^)^if you liked this movie you will really like "the big white" with robin williams/woody Harrison, and "Trigger happy" aka "mad dog time" with jeff goldblum, and every gangster from every gangster movie,(plus, billy idol get shot in the head) totally must see dark comics!

Always funny

Author: (ape8mymind@sbcglobal.net) from United States
12 July 2006

It's really good to see that Ray Romano and Kevin James are still funny... I hope they don't read this. No, they've been always funny. Once I saw the cover I started laughing already. The best part of it all is that you will believe these guys as meat salesman. Frustrated with their jobs. But they stick to it anyway because there's nothing like closing that deal, whether it's meat or million dollar escrows. You watch these movie for the quick smart lines, Rapport is good playing a D*%&, and the funny duo. Okay physical comedy. Although when Kevin jumped that small fence and fell on his face, that got me laughing pretty hard. Also, his reaction to the side mirror being smashed off. That got me laughing real hard!

Go watch it.

Worth a Watch

Author: icsjones from United States
12 July 2006

A very funny "off the wall" comedy. Great actors, acting, plot and sets. It had quite a few actors from "The Big Lebowski" and other classic Coen Brothers films. The film included an interesting cameo by Burt Reynolds who turns the film in another direction. A very well done film that holds the viewer's interest throughout the entire film right up to the end. It has an unpredictable theme that is unusual for today's predictable comedy. After watching this movie I had to check the DVD box to see if it was in fact a Coen Brothers production, it wasn't. I am not sure if it's an owner but it's really worth a watch if you enjoy off the wall comedies.

Beef, guns and laughs...

Author: phobator from Germany
7 July 2006

I didn't expect much as I read the summary of the plot. As I watched this movie I was pleasantly surprised. This movie is good entertainment. The acting is good though Kevin James again seems to play the character Doug Heffernan from 'King of Queens'. I think the main reason for me to recommend this movie to you is because I like anti-heroes. That's what the two main characters, the beef-salesman, are: losers looking for their piece of the cake. I think they do it in a very funny way. If you are looking for a movie that entertains you, this is the right choice. But: if you look for a serious movie dealing with important subject like 'Schindler's list', do not watch this movie.

Never really gets started

Author: anirog from UK
9 July 2006

The first 30 minutes of watching Grilled I was waiting for the film to start, after an hour I was still waiting. It's only redeeming feature is Juliette Lewis, who I like very much, but she does seem to get typecast by directors as the strung out wacky chick in most of the movies I have seen her in.

The director demands we suspend our disbelief for Grilled as the plot is totally unbelievable, I like suspending my disbelief for movies I don't want realism all the time, but if you need us to enter your little world then please give us something better than this terrible movie.

Soft nice comedy

Author: Attila Krieger from Portugal
4 July 2006

As i hate spoilers I'm gonna be as brief as possible. Its a soft comedy,it will make you laugh sometimes and bring a smile to your face. Do see it, its worth it. I've seen some comedies lately and they were not as much enjoyable as this one was. It will cleanse all stupid and goofy humor films out of you, and yet it will give you a smile to your face,its rewarding! It has a plot, its emotional and very,very funny sometimes. Loved the acting of all characters, well done!! I personally think its a good movie to see in the afternoon and just chill and give a good laugh. It has a dark humor added as to failure situations in life but with a smile in it, and it has that feeling that if you keep trying you will be rewarded :) enjoy the movie

Cheers (sorry about my 2 inches of raw meat English) ;)

An out and out dud

Author: pablocarlos from Canada
15 July 2006

Two door-to-door meat salesmen, in a desperate attempt to save their miserable yet much-needed jobs, get caught in the middle of a poorly explained underworld war. Even though they ought to get out of the way, their need to make one last sale keeps them in harm's way. That about sums up the plot of this fairly dire film which really doesn't seem to know exactly what it wants to be. With Ray Romano and Kevin James in the lead roles, you'd expect a comedy, but the genuine laughs are few and far between here. Instead, it seems to want to be the kind of thing Elmore Leonard might have scripted, yet without the arch wit and quirky characters. We have no idea why the hit men want to kill Tony, or why Boris wants to bump off Goldbluth. We also don't know why Suzy is the way she is. Similarly, the back stories on the two main characters are thin as rice paper. Long story short, a bunch of ho-hum TV actors conned somebody into letting them make a movie and even quality film performers like Juliette Lewis and Jon Polito can't rescue this turkey. As for Burt Reynolds, there's no whore like an old whore.

Garbage

Author: astena from Canada
7 July 2006

One of the stupidest movies I have ever seen. Don't waste your time on this garbage. Ray Romano isn't funny on TV, and he's even less funny on the big screen. The characters are all contrived, falling on every "gangster" cliché in the book. I have no problem with light comedy, but this one didn't even bring an occasional chuckle, let alone an outright laugh. I can only thank the gods above that I didn't actually pay money to see this film. I am not a Ray Romano fan, but I know many Ray Romano fans who were sorely disappointed with this outing. And the script is so repetitive, it sounds like it was 3 pages of dialogue just photocopied over and over again. I repeat: Don't waste your time. What a letdown.

Page 5 of 5: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5]