IMDb > The Heartbreak Kid (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Heartbreak Kid

The Heartbreak Kid More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 18:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

It's no "Something about Mary"

Author: Kristen Kallahan from Seattle WA USA
7 October 2007

The horrible crude scenes leave a bad taste and overshadow any funny scenes. I think the Farrelly Brothers wanted to recapture the success of "There's Something About Mary" -- but they've flopped hard.

The universe of "Mary" was completely wacky and any naughty parts just fit into that universe. This one feels like there were too many screenwriters tinkering with it. (5 are listed). Someone wrote a mainstream romantic comedy script -- then someone else (The Brothers, I'm guessing) came along and just stuck in gross shocking bits.

It's very uneven. It loses steam in the third act. Has a very unsatisfying and unpleasant ending. Carlos Mencia is obnoxious. Ben is looking too old to be playing these parts. Meanwhile, the girls still look 25.

Under Rated

Author: assignment41 from United States
20 October 2007

I'm a little surprised at how badly people are panning this movie; I usually find IMDb ratings to be a good indicator. Many of the negative comments seem to be based on the movie not conforming to the typical 'good guy always wins,' formula driven, oh-so predictable crap that Hollywood tends to pump out. I see one reviewer here actually put "they couldn't even deliver the cliché ending" as if that is something to be strived for. As for me, if I want a morality lesson I'll go to church. If you're looking for a comedy to give you lessons on how to live your life, you've got serious problems.

I'm still only giving the movie a seven because it's a comedy, it's not like it was so moving that it changed my life or anything. As comedies go, though, I found it pretty good. It's not one of those constant, laugh a minute, slapstick comedies, but the parts that did make me laugh literally made me laugh out loud, which is pretty rare for me. All in all, this is one of the best comedies I have seen in years.

50% of marriages nowadays end in divorce...20% of this movie lacks laughs...100% of this movie lacks morality and heart

Author: diac228 (diac1987@netscape.net) from Orlando, Florida
7 October 2007

The Farrelly brothers have had a successful history, but their best work was past them a long time ago. Dumb and Dumber and There's Something About Mary are among the two funniest comedies of all-time, and put the brothers at the peak of stardom. However, their track record afterwards is a heavily mixed bag; you find your underrated gems (Osmosis Jones, Fever Pitch) and then your disasters (Shallow Hal, Stuck on You). The Heartbreak Kid is their attempt to reach back into grade-A stardom like back in the late 90s. Joining with old friend Ben Stiller, they attempt to successfully recreate an old Neil Simon story about a man who has second thoughts about his marriage during his honeymoon. What we get is a cruel, twisted, vulgar, outrageous, and bittersweet movie that tramples over morality and messes around with the typical romantic comedy formula. Unfortunately though, the cruelty in this movie prevents it from being anywhere near romantic. While the Farrelly brothers crafted their best work since Osmosis Jones, this is still nowhere near as good as their comedies of the previous decade.

Heartbreak Kid is about Eddie (Ben Stiller), a lonely man who meets a woman (Lila, played by Malin Akerman) during a random encounter, and after a few weeks believes that she is the perfect woman for him. However, right after the wedding, another side of his perfect woman is revealed, and is slowly but surely becoming a nightmare come true. Despite their honeymoon being in a beautiful portion of Mexico, the honeymoon is a disaster as Eddie struggles to survive being with his new wife. Worst of all, during the honeymoon he meets another woman, Miranda (Michelle Monaghan), who seems to be absolutely perfect for him. In this cruel script, nobody is the hero, and seemingly everybody is the victim in some way or another. Nobody is safe in the movie; which makes this story perfect for the Farrelly Brothers.

Ben Stiller seems to play the same kind of role multiple times, as he has a similar presence to that of his character in There's Something About Mary and Along Came Polly. The only difference is, he's a bit more sinister and a much bigger jerk. His new wife is portrayed perfectly by Malin Akerman, who isn't afraid of embarrassing herself or showing off her body. Their physical humor together creates the biggest laughs in the movie. The most desirable character by far comes from the best performance; Michelle Monaghan of Mission Impossible fame delivers this charming, sweet performance as the adorable and beautiful Miranda. Everyone else did a decent job, with Jerry Stiller in a throwaway role as Eddie's father and Carlos Mencia (surprisingly funny) as a manager of the hotel in Mexico.

This movie's biggest flaw is its obvious attempts to re-create the surprise vulgarity and bittersweet content of There's Something About Mary. It worked back then, but it has trouble now, simply because the characters are not as likable, and the movie lacks heart. In Dumb and Dumber, you knew that they weren't meant to get that dream girl, but their persistence and their kindness (hidden underneath their stupidity) allows for the audience to root for them regardless. In There's Something About Mary, the main character goes to great lengths to find Mary and attempt to be with her; it became a raunchy and bizarre hero's journey. In this movie, the main character selfishly marries, and tramples over other people (emotionally mind you) in order to find his actual soulmate; making him not a necessarily likable character.

In spite of the lack of heart, you will find the laughs, no denying that. The new wife from hell routine was spoiled far too much in the previews, yet was still enjoyable. Unfortunately, once again, misdirection keeps Heartbreak Kid from being funnier than it could have been. After a while, Lila practically disappears from the movie, focusing more on Eddie's budding romance with Miranda. The movie mellows down once Lila is out of the way, and then we see a train wreck waiting to happen for about half an hour. If you are a fan of There's Something About Mary, there will be plenty to laugh about, but none of the content is rich or deep; most of the funniest scenes happens to be gross-out and shock humor. One unique thing in Heartbreak Kid is pretty crappy special effects, which makes it worse for this kind of movie because these kinds of movies do not use much special effects, if any at all. Soundtrack also isn't as catchy or as fun as other Farrelly Brothers movies, especially Dumb and Dumber.

Bottom Line: Heartbreak Kid is funny, but its not an instant classic, nor is it a type of movie to take a date to. While it is not as painfully disastrous as Good Luck Chuck, it still pales in comparison to recent adult comedies and early Farrelly efforts. Ben Stiller still provides the laughs through his physical humor and his ability to perfectly portray a man mentally breaking down. However, this movie has major morality issues and then really slows down once the romance builds up, yet we aren't rooting for anybody because everyone is guilty of lying, deceiving, and worse (except for one character). The directors are somewhat on the right track back to their glory days, but still have a longs way to go. They also really need to grow up and try to fray away from the gross humor, something that Mike Myers suffers from. Looking for laughs? Look no further. Looking for an amazing film? Keep looking.

Stuff it up your nose

Author: middleburg
10 October 2007

I can't believe how terrible this movie is. And the Oscar goes to "The Heartbreak Kid" in the category of the worst remake of a film ever made. Even without comparing it to the original, the movie fails miserably in and of itself. I just got out of a showing of the film, where there were some initial laughs, but by halfway through the movie, there was basically dead silence in the theater for the rest of it. This is expected to be funny: the crazy cousin hitting each of Ben Stiller's legs with a baseball bat; Ben Stiller trying to pull a big pain pill out of Lila's nose with her deviated septum; Lila apparently smashing what she thought was Ben Stiller's member; a sideshow where a donkey is apparently going to hump a young Mexican lady; Miranda's cousins shoving a hot pepper up Ben Stiller's nose, Lila peeing on Ben Stiller on the beach as he is screaming in agony because of a jellyfish sting, endless hitting and bashing of Ben Stiller by practically everyone including Lila in her sexual frenzy, and on and on. The movie commits a bad crime for a comedy - the outrageous antics add up to cringes, not laughs.

For those of us that remember the quirky, extremely clever and funny original, the comparison with this ugly, mean-spirited piece of dreck is almost painful. Other than two of the character's names, and the basic premise of a man falling in love with another woman on his honeymoon, and a couple of the same lines and plot devices early on, there is simply no resemblance. In the original, the only "bad guy" is Lenny - and that's simply because he's devious and dishonest, even though one can completely understand and identify with his predicament. In the original version, one feels for each and everyone of the other characters- Lila in her oblivious ignorance with her annoying (not horrific-like in the current version) habits, Kelly (Lenny's love interest--Miranda in the remake), selfish but coolly beautiful, Kelly's over-protective parents - it adds up to a surprisingly perceptive movie with regard to people's hopes and desires. And, Heck ---- it's just so damn funny with truly great clever dialog, unlike the newer version. In the new version, for some reason the same plot makes no sense, and one could care less about any of the characters.

When I first saw the trailer for this movie I laughed out loud. It looked like this was going to be a hilarious movie. I had heard how the characters were switched around - which made total sense in a remake, not just simply to redo the original, but make a new version with its own set of perceptions and laughs. BUT THEN, I read a review that said that the trailer contained the only funny moments in the film. I couldn't believe that. But now I do. Those few funny moments that are in the trailer are all that there is to laugh at. Save your self 10 bucks and a couple of extra hours in the day - watch the trailer, have a good laugh, and then rent or buy the original. A MUCH more satisfying experience!

First half so-so, second half quite funny.

Author: servoskull from West Midlands, England
26 February 2008

The Heartbreak Kid isn't right up there in the list of great comedies starring Ben Stiller. It's a bit further down, nestled in amongst the likes of Along Came Polly and Envy.

That's not to say it isn't a good film. As far as romcoms go, it's alright. I think it's fair to say the first half trudges along quite slowly but stick with it while the main characters are introduced and the plot is founded because the second half is nicely paced with some very funny moments as things start to conclude. The cliffhanger ending is surprisingly delightful and watch for a final funny scene around halfway through the end credits.

WOW, horrible

Author: Melissa Lutz
13 October 2007

This movie could NOT have been worse. Not possible. My husband and I watched.....oh I say over and hour before we just couldn't take it anymore. We got up and left the theater. That bad. There was NO character development AT ALL. Okay, enough where you knew their names...but that's about it. I really don't think anything the poor girl did was that bad. Okay, so she can't sing...um...ME NEITHER!!! And she got a bad sunburn. I'm sure we all did at one point in our lives. And her mom is big. Well, there's a a good reason to not love her. Whatever. Oh and the whole comedy thing, no that didn't exist either. I don't know, go and see it. But remember, I told you so. Have a nice day!

After the marriage, boredom kicks in!

Author: Simon Parker from United Kingdom
11 October 2007

How the mighty have fallen! The Farrely Brothers once upon a time were the kings of comedy, with a string of hits under their belts and some laugh out loud movies that included Dumb and Dumber and There's Something About Mary, they were truly unstoppable. Then something happened, they suddenly made flops, or at least disappointments. Stuck On You in my mind is where this all began, uneven comedies that while having some good moments were just so unmemorable it was unbelievable. I never saw The Ringer, I didn't agree with the subject matter hence why I didn't watch it, but I was actually really looking forward to The Heartbreak Kid. The trailer made me laugh and it looked like a return to Mary territory. I went into this movie expecting a short, light hearted comedy with some hilarious moments. I came out bored to tears, having only laughed a few times and feeling really cheated and also very disappointed. The Heartbreak Kidis unfortunately a big flop and is definitely the Brothers weakest movie to date in my mind. This wouldn't bother me if everything about the movie was unbelievably awful, but the most frustrating thing is that there are moments in this movie that are genuinely brilliant. The storyline itself is great, the characters are great, the tone is right, so where the hell did it go some damn wrong? My guess is that studio interference has a large part to play. The gross out Farrely humour just does not gel with the sweet romance story at the centre of it all. Also the movie is way too long and the script way too uneven for this to be a good movie. This may not be the worst movie of the year in my eyes but its certainly one of the most frustrating. Ben Stiller is great, Malin Akerman is superb, there are scenes and ideas that are brilliant, the ending is pitch perfect, yet everything else is just so poorly executed!

So lets start with the cast which admittedly is the most consistently decent thing in the movie. Ben Stiller is on a return to form in this movie, after a few cameos here and there and a phoned in performance in Night in the Museum he finally seems at ease. In fact this is arguably his best work in my eyes since Dodgeball, not hard when you see his recent line of work. His natural easy going charm works in this movie and makes a potentially unlikable character, and actually at times his character remains very unlikable, just a bit more tolerable. A shame then the script gives him little comedy to work with, that is until a priceless psychotic breakdown over a Mexican band, which is one of the few highlights of the movie. The true star of the movie however is Malin Akerman as the psychotic Lila. Akerman seems to have a blast as the mad, former junkie, in debt, clingy, neurotic wife from hell. However I found something very strange while watching this movie, I actually felt sorry for Lila for a lot of the film. Sure when she's having sex and beating the hell out of her husband its hard to feel sorry for her, but when Ben Stiller is cheating on her its kind of sad. Whether or not this is intentional or not is debatable however. Michelle Monaghan definitely drew the short straw of the group in a role that is pretty pointless and just too unoriginal for me to give a damn about.

The humour of the movie and the unevenness of pace is definitely where the Heartbreak Kid literally breaks. The movie does start off quite well, sure its not classic but its amusing. In fact the start of the honeymoon is relatively funny, but then about the halfway mark the movie just gives up all hope and dies. The jokes dry up, the romance and sentimentality factor kick in and the eyes start to droop. Despite some decent one liners the movie just doesn't make an effort any more. You find yourself not caring anymore, you couldn't care if Eddie stays with Lila or not, you just want the movie to end. And then the film drones on and on and on. And then when you think you have an ending it suddenly does something else. Thankfuly the unexpected ending lifts things up slightly, but the standard beforehand is so low it doesn't redeem the movie. In fact take out the brilliant Mexican band running joke, the amusing sunburn bit, the few sex scenes and a couple of one liners this would struggle its already low 5/10 rating.

The Heartbreak Kid is really a movie I cannot recommend as it is way too disappointing. The cast do an admirable job with little material and the idea is there. A better movie is probably underneath this wretched turd somewhere, but unfortunately for now this movie remains just another lame addition to the Farrely brothers already struggling CV. The Farrely brother may have once been the kings of gross out comedy, but in an age when we have Knocked Up and Superbad, maybe its time they gave up and tried something else.

Awful

Author: emilylong from United States
12 October 2007

I walked in expecting to see "the best Ben Stiller movie yet" and walked out feeling gross and upset to have spent ANY money on a ticket to have seen such crap. The beginning of the film was funny with typical Farrelly/Stiller moments of awkward situations. Even though it was much more crude than any of the previous films these collaboraters have done, I was willing to give it the benefit of the doubt. However, the laughs quickly stopped. This was severely disappointing. I understand the Farrelly brothers are the masters of the "uncomfortable" moment, but they cross the line with this movie, over and over again. It was sleazy and an awful commentary on current views of marriage. Yuck!!

We entertain you!

Author: Carsten Bornemann from Germany
18 March 2008

Good and fun movie. I generally like Farrelly movies. If you do, go see this one. I just rented the DVD and had a lot of fun with it. The extras on the DVD are also fun to watch. San Francisco as well as Mexico look spectacular in this movie. The locations act as another character and add a lot to the movie. The women in this movie are very pretty and likable. Of course nobody should treat somebody like that - but the title of the movie is "Heartbreak Kid", so I guess what else can we expect. This movie is not "Mary", but I enjoyed it a lot. It has some weaknesses. We don't really like or dislike some of the characters - the script could have made clearer choices. We don't really root for anybody (even though I wished, he stayed with his wife - she seemed cute, nice enough and willing to change if he just had asked). Overall a typical Farrelly movie, very creative, fun to watch but some weaknesses to the script. Also many, many great performances by actors in supporting roles.

Absolutely Horrible

Author: Kevin Cox (kevi747@hotmail.com) from Ft. Worth, TX USA
10 October 2007

I made the mistake of seeing this crap because I thought it was going to be a hilarious escape movie. The reasons it was so bad are many and other people have listed them here. But the main reason is that Ben Stillers character was such a self-centered, unlikable jerk. He usually plays a loser, but ultimately a likable loser that you want to root for. Here he's a lying, misogynistic pig of a man who treats others with complete disregard. I absolutely hated him. And the twist at the end just makes you want to see him get tortured for being such an a-hole. Horrible, horrible movie.

Please do yourself a favor and skip this one. Trust me, if you've seen the previews you've seen the only mildly funny parts.

Page 1 of 18:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]