IMDb > "Blackpool" (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Blackpool"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Blackpool" More at IMDbPro »

Superb Blackpool Is great

Author: evolvedsky from United Kingdom
27 October 2005

I was flicking through the channels on TV slightly bored had not a lot to do until i came across a program that was just starting. I didn't know what it was about but it was called Blackpool. It seemed pretty good nothing more than you normal melodrama and about five minutes in they burst into You Can Get It If You Really Want (Jimmy Cliff) and to my amazement i found it hugely captivating.

The musical choruses are great through out the series ranging from Gabrielle to The Clash i think that you don't have to be into musicals to appreciate the bursts of songs as they almost fall into a category of music video within the program having there own dance routines even little fantasies they help a great deal to build the plot.

Apart from the music the program takes very sinister turns that make very significant changes to the plot throughout and as the truth gradually seeps out you will begin to see darker secrets and darker changes in the characters Which after every episode had me eager for more. From watching the casino owner Ripley opening his brand new casino to have his whole world fall apart in 6 episodes will bring out many emotions but inevitably entertain you throughout.

The cast is brilliant The chemistry between David Morrisey (Ripley Holden) and David Tennant (D.I. Carlisle) they have a great passion to hate each other although will stop at nothing to get one over on the other one. Tennant however falls in love with Sarah parish (natalie Holden) and the romance between them is great along with the music you can really feel a great passion between them which on screen is captured so well the rest of the cast really pull the whole thing together and ensure a great performance on the whole.

This program is well worth a watch to anyone who enjoys being entertained. The blend of music great characters and a superb and captivating story all set on the back drop of the sunny seaside resort of Blackpool will have you wanting more.

This program gets my vote i hope it gets yours.

Unusual drama

Author: hesketh27 from Southport Lancashire Uk
21 November 2004

Blackpool is an unusual drama (with touches of comedy) which tells the story of an amusement arcade owner who finds himself and his family at the centre of a murder investigation when a body is found in his arcade. From time to time the actors burst into song (a la Singing Detective) & are transported into fantasy sequences which work quite well as an integral part of the plot. The actors' faces are well known to UK TV audiences from their regular appearances in supporting roles in other TV vehicles. As in all BBC productions, the performances are uniformly good. The real star of the show however is Blackpool itself. The wonderfully seedy holiday resort is well used as the backdrop and well known places/landmarks appear in most scenes. An enjoyable serial. (The soundtrack's pretty good too!)

Brilliant Outstanding Awesome

Author: (fredsawy@aol.com) from USA
1 December 2005

I have to say when I first heard about "Viva Blackpool" I was very curious to see it. I missed the first episode and was upset but thank goodness BBC America showed a repeat of it a few days later the night before episode 2 so I taped both and watched the first two episodes back to back.

I'll admit that when I first started watching it I was thinking "Ok maybe this wasn't such a good idea after all." But somewhere between that thought and the first 20 minutes of the show I got drawn in and found I couldn't wait to get to the second episode on the tape.

It's slow moving at the start but once it kicks in it grabs hold of you and won't let go. I couldn't wait for the next week's episode and once it came I was never disappointed.

Each episode ends with a brilliant cliffhanger done with a brilliantly done stage and well chosen song that fits the situation and mood. "These Boots Are Made for Walking", "Knock, Knock Who's there" just to name a few. Also the way all the songs through out the show are all staged you see how the lyrics really fits each and every character with what's not only going on with them, but all the small sub plots of the show as well. All perform them with great emotion and bring the lyrics to life and you can feel their pain, anger, joy , fright and love.

The ending of the story is very well done I think and brought a few feeling good type of tears to my eyes as I sat and watched the show ended set to Burt Bacharach's beautifully done "Alway's something there to remind me." I've kept each episode on tape till it comes out on DVD here in the states. Which I hope will be very soon.

Wonderful, Quirky Murder Mystery

Author: kenj-3
11 January 2006

I did not expect this to be anywhere as good as it turned out to be. I mean, who wants to see a murder mystery where the main characters break out into song every 30 minutes or so? Yes, they actually do sing in their own voices over recordings you will recognize.

The songs are a perfect fit to the story, moving it along and providing a lot of context. My personal favorite was the head to head between David Morrissey and David Tennant, both singing "These Boots Are Made For Walking."

Sarah Parish has always been a personal favorite, starting with "Cutting It" and doing a killer job as a lawyer in the short lived series "Trust". David Morrissey did a fantastic job. You'd swear he is a total sleaze in the beginning of the series, but by the end, your opinion will probably change. Likewise, David Tennant (the new Dr Who) seems to be the perfect cop, but is he really?

PS - If you saw this on BBC America, you missed about 10 minutes out of every episode. Several songs were cut, as were a lot of key scenes that made the story much easier to follow, and also developed some of the the characters much further. Especially Hallworth, the character played by David Bradley who was protesting the conversion of the arcade into a casino.

Do yourself a favor - get a multi-region DVD player, and order the DVD from the UK.

Amazing

Author: Cazanya from Sweden
18 January 2006

This is absolutely brilliant!!! Only UK would do this kind of show and go all the way :-) I love Sarah Parish and she's just amazing in this. Oh and those who complain about the fact that it isn't dancers and singers that does the characters thank god for that! I think the point is that it isn't perfect, it makes it more real and what joy would it be watching perfect dancers who can't act!? No they did the right thing casting actors for it... Anyway this is funny,touching,dark and a bit disturbing aka everything you can possibly want in a TV program and I can just pray it's true they are planning a sequel.... UK are brilliant at making TV that stays with you long after it airs unlike US...

Amazing!

Author: Wes Jones from United Kingdom
29 November 2005

This show was one of the best things i have EVER seen (and coming from me, thats saying something). The cast was an inspired choice, the script and dialogue was excellent and the songs were amazing! David Morrissey is an excellent choice to play Ripley Holden, he fits the role perfectly as the mysterious arcade owner who believes in luck - LOTS of luck. Before Blackpool, I was no fan of Sarah Parish, but her acting in this is great, she is believable as Ripleys wife/Carlisle's lover. Speaking of Carlisle, David Tennant MADE that role his own, playing it to perfection.

All the cast are multi-talented because not only did they act IMPRESSIVELY, they actually sang the songs featured in the series, and performed their dance routines. This gives me a new-found respect for all the performers because it must be hard to do what they did on a daily basis.

All in all, an excellent show. If you haven't seen it, WHY?!?

An enjoyable and entertaining drama!

Author: Tara Wheeler from United Kingdom
8 January 2006

Blackpool is a comedy/drama. It was great acting by the whole cast and every episode ended on a cliffhanger which left you wanting to watch the next episode straight away! The way the songs were done was brilliant and the chemistry between David Morrisey and Sarah Parish was good. There are a lot of twists in the whole story which make it even more fun to watch because it is unpredictable. The music, the dancing and the singing make this drama a part comedy because however serious the song is it still manages to make you laugh. I really liked the way the director used the songs and put them into the mood of the scenes as well, it helped you to understand what the characters were thinking and feeling with out them telling you. Overall I think this is one of the best dramas the BBC has produced in years!

Excellent series

Author: galadrial from Australia
10 February 2007

I just bought the DVD of this series, as I have recently become a huge fan of David Tennant. I was planning to watch it in 6 installments, but by the end of the first episode, I was intrigued by the story and ended up watching it all in one session. The writing is excellent, with fine performances, and the use of popular songs as part of the narrative works well. David Morrissey plays the central character of Ripley Holden, who is essentially quite hard to like because of his attitudes and practices, but he manages to create sympathy for him by the end. David Tennant shows his fine acting skills (and his lovely Scottish accent), and is particularly winning in his scenes with Julie Parish. All in all, a very fine production.

Blackpool

Author: Elise120 from United States
20 January 2006

Blackpool (released as Viva Blackpool in the US) is absolutely the best mini-series I've ever seen. It was unique, well written, directed and acted. Although both David Tennant and David Morrissey are wonderful actors, I felt that David Morrissey really stood out in his role of Ripley Holden. If anyone's seen any of his other work, they would see what an incredible actor he is!! And outrageously attractive as well. The musical numbers are well done. What a brilliant idea to have the actors sing along with the original artists, sort of like Karaoke. I was also impressed with new actor Tommy Morrisson, who played Danny Holden. I expect to see him in other films..he's very talented. Sarah Parrish is lovely and talented as always, and I'm looking forward to seeing David Tennant as Dr. Who. In conclusion, I highly recommend this series. I only wish that BBC would release the DVD for Region 1 soon, as my home VHS recording is getting worn from repeated viewings.

A drama set to the background of a Blackpool amusement arcade. Three sublimely played roles make this a movie which I shall remember for a long long time to come .....

Author: christian-205 from Netherlands
24 December 2007

No warning. Just zapping through Dutch and Belgian TV channels when I stopped by chance at 'Blackpool'. I don't know what held me - perhaps the sublime acting in the three main roles. David Morrissey plays the the cheap shallow amusement arcade owner - or so he seems at first! His protagonist is a sharp police detective played so convincingly by David Tennant. Detective inspectors don't usually fall in love with the wives of their chief suspects but David is the exception. He falls completely for Sarah Parish who plays the wife of Ripley Holden, the arcade owner. Of course David has to fall in love with Sarah. After all, she plays an intelligent emotionally honest woman with depth of character to such perfection that it is almost impossible to distinguish between the actress and the role she depicts. Three incredibly good actors develop through six episodes of a gripping story with moments frozen in brilliantly selected popular song. How could Natalie Holden ever have fallen for the the sleaze boss Ripley? You begin to understand when you realize that Ripley is also a human being with ambition, depth,intelligence and charm. The characters scintillate through the episodes first of all showing one side and then another. My only criticism was that it was impossible for the sixth episode to meet the expectations built up during the previous shows. It very nearly succeeded however. There is a fine balancing line between drama and soap. Although all the ingredients for soap were there in the story line, this movie never once strayed over the line. My congratulations to the writer and the actors - a fantastic production which I shall remember for a very long time.....