IMDb > Firewall (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Firewall

Firewall More at IMDbPro »

Page 10 of 31: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [Next]

Average thriller with Harrison Ford...that's pretty much it

Author: powerfull_jedi from Portugal
15 August 2007

I finally had a chance to watch this movie on rental and I was pretty unimpressed, apart from the last minutes. While it does show that Harrison Ford's still got it, the whole setup, the plot and pretty much everything else(including the antagonists) is just below average. In Firewall, we meet Jack Stanfield, a computer manager at a bank, whose wife and children are made hostage by a bank robber(played by Paul Bettany) who seems to have been watching him for months on end, poses himself as an investor and demands Jack to hack his own bank and steal money for the bank robber and his gang. From start to finish, I was rather unimpressed as the movie felt clichéd as far as hostage movies go, but also at some times comical, as the henchmen are some of the most polite and caring thugs I've ever seen, they honestly sound and act like frat boys trying to act tough, they engage in casual conversations(even the main bad guy) with Jack's family members, politely ask them if they need to use the restroom, so forth. You'd have a hard time mistaking these guys for thugs, save only for their main villain. The plot is nothing especial and will probably make one or two computer techies cringe by how some of the concepts are so silly(a computer security manager has a 4 word password and it's named after such a huge object? That's Most Common Computer Security No-nos 101 for anyone in this line of work, one wonders how those villains with so much spying going around, missed something that obvious), some tense moments here and there, but the whole real enjoyable moment is the last action scene where the main bad guy(I just call him this, because his true name is never mentioned) and Jack engage in all an-all out fist fight. Honestly, there really isn't much to say, it looks average. Harrison Ford does good with the material he's got and Paul Bettany is somewhat convincing as the main villain, even if his henchmen sound like they walked off the set of American Pie. It's OK for a rental and that's about it.

Harrison in the Firewall Land

Author: native_girl333 from Finland
11 August 2007

Jack Stanfield has a career in banking, beautiful wife and two lovely children. The perfect life is shattered when a crook Bill Cox wants big money with the assistant of Jack. Cox brakes into Jack's house and takes his family for hostage. Jack has to break and enter the bank's system or he can kiss his family goodbye.

The plot is very old. It reminds me of the new movies like "The Hostage" or "Panic Room". Because of the worn-out plot line the film drags. "Firewall" presents the new high technology and when it really helps and works. The movie manages to be somewhat enjoyable but the quick ending lefts you wonder why did they make this movie at all? Harrison Ford makes a subtle performance as a persistent family man trying to save his family. Paul Bettany delivers the role of Bill Cox with a touch of unlikable gentleman. Virginia Madsen is good but unfortunately her part as Jack's wife is left very thin in the battle of Ford and Bettany.

Slickly made, great cast, ultimately disappointing

Author: gws-2 from United States
3 June 2007

I decided to watch "Firewall" only because of its remarkably talented cast, Harrison Ford, Paul Bettany Virginia Madsen, and Robert Forster, among others. The only negative I saw in the casting was that Ford was 20 years old for his role but, come to think of it, he has been 20 years old for every part he has had in recent years. The camera is always well placed and the visuals serve the story well. Unfortunately, this silly mess of a movie was too slight to be saved by anything or anybody.

The setup involves a preposterous kidnapping of the Ford character's, Jack Stanfield, family, following which the kidnappers, even more preposterously, send Stanfield back to his office to use his computer skills to steal millions from the bank he works for. It goes down hill from there.

"Firewall" proves that high production values and a talented cast can't overcome bad writing. I have given it 6 of 10 stars only because its talented cast and competent direction saved it from being entirely unwatchable. Nevertheless, I can't recommended it.

Not as bad as people say

Author: Gordon-11 from Earth
20 May 2007

This film is about a internet security expert getting caught up in a theft of $100 million by the use of internet transfer.

This film is not as bad as many people say it is. Yes, the plot is sometimes illogical, especially about the dog having a GPS collar (how convenient!). But I think it is not a fatal error. There is enough suspense throughout the movie, and I particularly liked the scene where they tried to escape from the house. Harrison Ford looks confused and tense in most of the movie, which suits the tone of the movie too. The ending looks a bit too forced and artificial, but it is OK for some light hearted entertainment.

Cash on Demand!

Author: Bob Hunt (conn24h@talk21.com) from St Albans, England
8 May 2007

I enjoyed this movie very much - in a "sitting in front of the TV with munchies" kind of way. Nothing wrong with that. Its not a great picture, and you can see the end coming a mile off, but nonetheless its all good fun if that's all you're looking for. The thing is, all the way through the picture I couldn't help wondering whether or not the writer had seen the 1961 Hammer film (British) CASH ON DEMAND which starred the wonderful Peter Cushing and Andre Morrell. It is basically the same story, though the earlier film is, by its very nature, much more subdued and also much more subtle. I suggest anybody who either likes or dislikes FIREWALL take a look at CASH ON DEMAND and see how it should be done!

Wrong movie

Author: kosmasp
2 April 2007

The working title was Wrong Element? Boy were they right ... They should've used that title instead. The only thing that safes this movie in my eyes from being complete bonkers/BS is Harrison Ford. His presence alone elevates the movie.

And the plot/story needs elevation. It would've needed a little bit more, but there's only so much Mr. Ford can do. You could blame him for even participating in this movie, but the man just tries different things. So it's more like you should be thankful that he's in it.

As the story progresses/evolves it strays away from the somewhat suspenseful and intelligent beginning. It could've been something better, but it just stays within the clichés of the genre. Some would argue that it's better to use things that have worked out well, instead of making something new and completely terrible ...

If you haven't seen that much thrillers, you might be surprised here and there and Ford will keep you on your toes ... in any other case: It's not a movie you have to watch!

It all seems the same

Author: paulfpb from Australia
12 February 2007

Being a rainy day decided to watch a few movies, a couple of movies later Firewall was on. The first thing that struck me that Harrison Ford is just to old for the part. A Father of young children and hi tech computer technician and knew more than anyone. He looked over 60 and I then I knew it was going to be like Patriot Games, The Fugitive and Air Force One.

Paul Bettany played a good villain and being an English character was able to have subtle nastiness. The character Vince just did not seem fit into what should of been a team of bank robbers. He was an oaf, and was out of depth in the gang

When Ford's new boss was almost run over and next we see Ford at home, the Police should of arrived. The fight at the end was all to similar.

I was entertained and I saw all of the movie

another Harrison Ford Misfire

Author: Jay Harris (sirbossman6969@yahoo.com) from United States
10 February 2007

Why, Oh Why, do writers & directors always use the same plot & story line over & over again/. The Director Richard Loncraine & writer Joe Forte basically use the same plot devices & story gimmicks that have been used in many films over the years. Think THE Desperate HOURS & HOSTAGE for 2 examples,

This time we have Harrison Ford looking every bit of his age playing another executive whose family is held hostage, so that the bank he works for can be robbed. HOW MANY times have we seen this before.

The chief villain in this is the Excellent actor PAUL BETTANY. He is the best thing in the movie. The usually reliable Virginia Madsen plays Fords wife & mother of his 2 children (one is a young boy with Allergies (have we seen this also many times)

Also in the cast are Alan Arkin,Robert Patrick & Robert Forster doing there usual.

The acting & production credits are what you would expect..

It is filmed in the Seattle area, so the scenery is very attractive & the house he lives in is high up on a cliff.

There are many scenes in the rain, as per the production notes, it was very dry when they filmed the move, So the borrowed Fire Dept. water trucks for the rainy scenes..

Note my fair 2 1/2 star rating is at the bottom of the grade,.

Rating **1/2 (out of 4) 66 points (out of 100) IMDb 6 )out of 10)

Watchable but not "24"

Author: Galina from Virginia, USA
7 February 2007

More than anything "Firewall" (2006) directed by Richard Loncraine reminds the super popular TV action show "24" with the main character named Jack (Harrison Ford) who runs against the time to save his family from a gang of dangerous computer-literate bank-robbers and their leader Bill Cox (Paul Bettany). Cox is the mastermind behind a simple but effective plan that involves transfer of $100 million from Jack's bank to his bank accounts in Caymans by forcing Jack to hack the very security system he had created for the bank while keeping Jack's wife and two children as hostages. The only person who may help Jack is his assistant Janet Stone (Mary Lynn Rajskub, basically repeating the part of Chloe O'Brian of "24"). If you forget that Harrison is 63 and it is sometimes painful to watch him in the action scenes, you may actually enjoy the movie. I like Paul Bettany as a polite, charming sociopath. For one second, just for one it seemed to me that the movie might dwell in the "Funny Games" territory but it was back soon to the familiar turf to play its own funny games.

5.5/10

Author: kai ringler from United States
4 February 2007

well where do i start, i thoroughly enjoyed this one, harrison ford , continues to amaze me with age, he is like clint eastwood in a way, gets better with age, just like fine wine. anyway about the movie..this movie presents a slightly different approach on how to rob a bank, very interesting,, with this day and age of computers, and firewall's, i though the bad guy in the movie was an excellent choice, he comes off as the perfect villain,, i think the only thing i really didn't care for int he movie , was when the bad guy let's the boy eat something that he's allergic to,,, and the boy almost dies,, but other than that,, i thought the movie was very well written directed, and acted,, virginia madsen, who i am a very big gfan off,,, did a remarkable job int his movie, she played very well off of harisson ford, altogether i found this movie very exciting, and very hard to press pause on, this movie used a lot of the 21st century hi -tech stuff, that is very interesting to think about, like the gps located on the dog's neck,, hmmm maybe i should get one for my two mutts.. excellent movie,, worth paying the 19.99 would definitely watch again,, the special features was also very interesting to watch as well