IMDb > Firewall (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Firewall

Firewall More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 30: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

Ransom?.... no it's "Firewall"

Author: fivestarmichael from United States
9 August 2006

Oh my God. The movie was everything bad I expected. To begin with there is this over-dramatic music through out the entire movie. Even when Harrison Ford is just walking down a hallway. This genre has been hacked and hacked to death. Technological thrillers are nothing new and "Firewall" offers nothing new. This is "Swordfish" meets "Ransom". It is a pathetic movie. Harrison Ford is starting to look like a man in his sixties. In the movie he is married to a woman who looks to be in her early thirties. The woman looks half his age.

I remember when I was in the 10th grade and I first learned about fore-shadowing. Now we call it a "plot device". This movie is full of plot devices (remote-control car). So to predict the ending... one simply has to watch the first 1/3 of the movie. There is nothing clever or interesting about the end. Get this... cop cars even pull up in the last seconds. I bet you haven't seen a movie where a police arrive just at the end?

So I guess Harrison Ford is done. We are all just waiting for "Indiana Jones IV".

Hi Tech = Bad Technical Advisors

Author: lanewooten from United States
12 June 2006

This is a spoiler - I would like to comment on the technical aspects of the movie - Firewall. I work on routers and networks for a living. At the beginning of the movie when Jack is "saving the day" from the brute force hacker by typing in a couple of parameters, the screen is showing a standard Cisco Router interface with an access list that denies a private address and then permits any and all access. His "rule" that he creates only says "rule activated", after the permit deny entry without anything else being typed - pretty lame. I don't know where the technical adviser gets his mumbo-jumbo about a "Black Hole" ISM that will slow the hacker down and block "false positives". I was saying, "yeah right, whatever". Also they needed to get somebody that knew how to type when they showed Jack's hands on the keyboard. Any VP of Networking that writes security software and programs routers isn't going to be hunting and pecking like Harrison Ford.

The most laughable technical aspect of the movie is where Jack takes a fax machine scanner head and plugs it straight into an Ipod. First, there is no way the scanner head would interface into an Ipod communication port and function, especially using the original electrical connector attached to the scanner. I think Jack tells Cox when he is "designing" this MacGyver invention that "Files are files, the Ipod won't know the difference". Taping the scanner head to the computer screen to capture the screen information is a joke and wouldn't work. Even if the scanner head was hooked up to the fax electronics, anything captured would be unreadable.

Aside from the ridiculous technical lameness of this movie I was aghast that after Jack thinks his wife is leaving him for his best friend he and his wife are still "in love" and go running up to hug and kiss each other at the end of the movie. I would have saved the children but gave the wife "The Boot". Also the dog's GPS collar would have been obvious to the crooks, especially since they had a Techie "Guru" with them. The dog would have been fertilizer before they even left the house. Any dog that barks incessantly for no reason would have been shot by the crooks. I have to say this was the worst Harrison Ford movie I have ever seen and I hope the producers weren't stupid enough to pay him the twenty million I heard he was getting per movie. I give this movie about a two, only because of Jack's milfy wife and hot secretary.

Pretty Average but entertaining nonetheless

Author: jpwhite3 from United States
12 March 2006

Plenty of action in this movie to keep you awake, but one doesn't leave the theater with any special feeling like a good movie leaves you with. Hardly thought provoking. It's difficult to 'attach' yourself to any of the characters (well except maybe for the dog). Why the movie is entitled 'Firewall' is mystery to me.

Harrison Ford heads up the 'perfect family'. Successful businessman and husband, good looking wife, son, daughter and a dog. Ford's secretary is one of the main characters from the TV show 24, you know the girl that always looks like she is in pain (and probably is).

There are some problems with the storyline. How for instance did Ford reverse 10,000 thefts of $10,000 from the banks top 10,000 customers with just 4 hand typed commands? The original theft was for 100Million, but apparently only 80 million was stolen and subsequently returned. Why did the cops usher the 'getaway car' away when responding to a bank robbery at the airport, especially since Ford ran to it looking stressed? Not very believable.

My wife liked the movie, so for non techies the inevitable errors are apparently of no consequence. I did like the portrayal of Ford as a very competent technical manager who had his wings clipped as a consequence of an unfriendly merger, very believable, I felt his pain.

None of the good guys got hurt too bad while all the baddies got what was coming to them. The dog was rescued like you'd expect with any 'good movie', all together now.... ahhhhhh.

Ain't worth watching

Author: Oleg Astakhov from Latvia, Riga
11 March 2006

Oh gee, I really hoped this would be one of the movies I like, you know, there are certain types of movies you just like, for example, I like movies about bank robberies, casino robberies, where there are team efforts and careful planning, movie such as AirCon I like too, and simply well done movie without any obvious goofs, or just clumsy scenes. You know, after watching this movie, it feels like Harisson Ford is the only one who actually acted, unlike for example his wife (in a movie that is). The movie was simply unnatural, there were no seriousness, bad actors, I somewhat tried to compare this one with the Die-Hard, but this one is just incomparable, nowhere near as good as Die-Hard is. I'm very disappointed, I barely watched it till the end. Just don't waste your time, please :) Cheers, Oleg

Possibly the worst movie ever made

Author: mntdew-1 from United Kingdom
26 July 2006

Having seen the trailer for this movie some time ago, my wife was rather keen to watch it, so when it appeared on the shelves of Blockbuster we parted with a few quid to rent it- huge mistake.

This movie is just woeful on so many levels, not least its insipid plot and dire screenplay which limp aimlessly to a thankful finish. Just about every Hollywood cliché has been thrown into this pathetic attempt at a thriller. The characters are barely given any kind of depth or background, making it hard to care what happens to them one way or the other. One might have expected a lot more from Paul Bettany, his role as the bad guy is wholly unconvincing, a far cry from his performance in Knight's Tale as 'Jeff'. In fairness, the poor script gave Bettany little to sink his teeth into; it's hard to imagine why he was ever cast for this part.

The villainous nature of his character is seen for the briefest of moments when he shoots his own henchman (killing him instantly from a single bullet to the shoulder amazingly enough), and encouraging young Andy into eating a cookie while knowing of his peanut allergy which causes the young kid to have a near fatal reaction. Partway through the film, due to Ford's non compliance, he instructs one of his gang to injure the boy's knee, then seconds later, amid pleas from Ford, basically says 'no, don't...', about as intimidating as a blade of grass.

Throughout the film I was optimistic for some unexpected twist to liven up proceedings, maybe his wife was in on it or perhaps the whole family would die from a peanut allergy and convulse in one unified theatrical display. It simply lacked originality from start to finish, not even the paltry action sequences had the capacity to arouse any audience anticipation or excitement.

Couple this with the numerous and glaring continuity gaffs throughout the movie and you have a thoroughly disappointing film. Do yourself a favour and don't see it.

a waste of time

Author: rbigalke-1 from United States
5 March 2006

I went to this film with my companion because Harrison Ford is one of our all-time favorite action/adventure actors. But at the end of this film, we looked at each other in astonishment. We could not believe we had actually paid good money to see such a hack-kneed plot, with such a lame ending. The next day I saw "Hostage" for the first time. It's basically the same story- a kidnapped family being held by bad guys to force an upright citizen into doing what the bad guys want. It was amazing to see how much better a film it was! Heart-pounding action, a sensible plot, and a much better hero- Bruce Willis kicked ass, while Harrison Ford was mumbling and stumbling thru this often nonsensical plot. And don't get me started on the product placement and commercial tie-ins. The 2006 Chrysler 300? Fageddabowdit. What was he driving when they got in the trail of the bad guys? A 1980's vintage sedan. Don't waste your time on this dog.

meh.

Author: simons-27 from Long Beach, CA
4 March 2006

This movie was very underwhelming for me. Harrison Ford was great, as he always is, but after seeing this, it made me wonder why he'd agree to do this film.

First of all, the one thing that irritated me that I absolutely could not shake was the fact that this movie had, quite possibly, the wimpiest badguys I have ever seen in any movie, ever. Not even one of them was remotely menacing. Paul Bettany looks like a kindly Conan O'Brien-lookalike - and what was with that skinny little guy with the black plastic emo glasses? He looked like he was more likely to be playing guitar at a Starbucks than holding a family hostage. I'm sorry, but I like my badguys menacing, and this movie flopped miserably in that respect.

Second of all, the daughter had like, one line the entire movie. I know that teenage girls are usually pretty boring (Lisa Simpsons, Meg Griffin, etc.) and that this fact is often made light of, but come on.

This wasn't really a horrible movie, overall, but I can't help thinking that if it were anyone but Ford in the lead, it might have been.

** (two stars out of four)

A Forgettable, Predictable and Full of Inconsistencies Thriller

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
25 June 2006

Jack Stanfield (Harrison Ford) is an executive responsible for the security of the computer system of a small bank. He is very connected to his family, composed of the architect Beth (Virginia Madsen), a teenager daughter and a young son. When the gang leaded by the criminal Bill Cox (Paul Bettany) invades his house, they force Jack to transfer a hundred million dollars to a bank account in Cayman Islands as ransom for his family. When Bill does not release his family, Jack tries to save them by his own.

"Firewall" is an average thriller, with a screenplay full of inconsistencies mostly due to commercial reasons. The first one, of course, is the name of Harrison Ford, too old for the lead role of Jack Stanfield. He could be the grandfather of Andy, and unfortunately he is awful in the action and dramatic scenes. Paul Bettany is excellent, as usual, but his mean and cold character is restrained and could be more evil, for example breaking the legs of the boy, as promised to Jack, or killing Jack's family in the end. But this is a Hollywood movie, it must be a pleasant and profitable entertainment, therefore the conclusion is always predictable, with the good guy killing the bad guy and saving his family. When Jack leaves the bank after hitting Gary Mitchell, he goes home and the police never arrives there. When Jack transfers the funds from the Bill's account, the bank clerk calls the police, but nothing happens later. There are so many "holes" in this forgettable story that it is impossible to like it. Harrison Ford must retire from action movies, or at least select better screenplays more suitable for his age. My vote is five.

Title (Brazil): "Firewall"

Harrison Ford in his worst performance makes this an unbearable film

Author: dbborroughs from Glen Cove, New York
2 April 2006

Harrison Ford gives his worst performances as a computer security expert who's family is kidnapped so he'll help a band of thieves rob his bank. From the first frame to the last Ford looks like he'd rather be anywhere other than making this film. His displeasure carries over and makes this an almost impossible movie to get through. If he doesn't want to be here why should we? I kept feeling that if Ford were a member of my family and I was kidnapped I'd ask the kidnappers if I could stay with them.

Its a shame really since this is a good idea and a good cast thats wasted by the unhappiness of our lead. Given the choice I'd rather watch a TV screen full of static rather than see this again.

Han Solo is Dead

Author: afay-5 from United States
4 March 2006

I went into this film thinking, hey, maybe ol' Harrison can still make a good action flick. Unfortunately, I was mistaken. Never have I seen him in movie that made me think of him as an old man, but this one succeeds. There's a scene where he hops down onto a porch and he stumbles and falls over. I know some my think of this as his character's dogged determination to solve his predicament, but I burst out loud laughing in the theatre. The parting shot of the movie was one of the most clichéd thing I've seen in a while too. Hey, let's slow-mo then freeze frame the family with the burning house from whence they escaped replete with the Benji-esquire dog who's character's sole purpose seems to be to bark endlessly to annoy the nefarious kidnappers. Thought I was watching a John Woo flick for a minute there at the end (cue the white doves anyone?). No my final beef with Firewall comes in the form of Ford's acting. LEARN HOW TO PLAY A DIFFERENT CHARACTER HARRISON! He's been playing the same grim-faced, expressionless, ruffian for the last 15 or so years. What ever happened to acting like a fun, life-loving guy like Han Solo or Indiana Jones or even the street racer in American Graffiti? Guess actual acting is too hard for you eh, Harrison? Don't worry, you'll only have to attempt that about 3 times in your career and the foolish American movie-goer will gobble up all the other crap you put out on the screen. If you absolutely must see this movie, rent it...and I mean, rent it after it's no longer on the 2-day rental rack or when you have a free rental coupon.