IMDb > My Father's House (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

My Father's House More at IMDbPro »

A true indie maverick

Author: lexvaluenza from Paris
15 October 2005

Larry Holden's directorial debut shows that he is a true indie maverick. All one needs to do is watch this film to see how little he seems to care about the marketplace, or what Hollywood is jamming down our throats. I simply cannot wait to see what he offers us next. My Father's House is not easily gotten, but I was lucky enough to find a copy being sold by one of his ex- employees on Ebay. But, trust me, folks, if you are lucky enough to get your hands on one of this DVD's, and are willing to suspend the way you usually watch films, you will be rewarded more than you can imagine. Sure, I'm a bit older than most IMDb users, I imagine, but I think this film speaks to anybody who's heart is still beating, and has its own rhythm.

Deceptively simple. I think.

Author: piccolo-b from Los Angeles, United States
26 August 2007

This film seems to have worked a little spell on me.

After I watched it for the first time, I just sat there, thinking, not feeling blown away, truth be told.

Then, before I knew it, I'd been sitting there in my recliner for about 45 minutes or so, absolutely still.

Then I wanted to watch it again for some reason - which I did, very late that same night. And it was then that I felt myself being tugged, and, eventually, almost overcome at its conclusion. But I really don't know why - and still don't.

But I have a strong feeling that's a good sign, that this film is not done with me yet. Because I kind of want to watch it again.

But be forewarned that this film is very very different from the norm. Then again, nothing about it's presentation screams out to be noticed, really. Like it is meant to draw you in, standing at the door and smiling, like somebody you think you know - but don't, really.

Must be something to do with how simple and subtle Mr. Holden has made it. Becaus3e it isn't at the end of the day. At least it doesn't seem to be.

Hmmm...

Unlike the norm, that's for sure.

Author: deltahomeboy from United States
7 February 2007

It's hard for me to explain why I love this movie so much, but only because I'm not that articulate when it comes to speaking what's in my heart, I guess. But that's also a compliment for writer, director Larry Holden, and his remarkable directorial debut - because (I think, anyway) that's his goal: to try and speak the inarticulate speech of the heart. Does that make sense? I know, sounds corny, but I think it's right on the mark. Well, anyway, I think it's simply amazing when a film can stick with you long after you watch it (especially nowadays with all the disposable / forgettable crap that's out there); and, sometimes, like with this film, for reasons you're not really sure of. You just feel like you really have experienced something different, that you've been exposed to art, and the film keeps popping into your mind at the strangest times. I've read that another of his films, Tucked In His Knuckles, has that affect on people even more -that it bugs them a good, long while afterward, but I haven't seen it yet. Question, though: Why doesn't Mr. Holden sell his movies to Netflix or Blockbuster? Seems like that would help get his movies out there a bit. I admire what has been reported to be an uncompromising stance when it comes to how his films are released and promoted, but isn't the whole point to reach as many people as you can? I mean, it would be a damn shame if this film got lost, eventually, and all because he won't take advantage of all of the available distribution channels. But maybe he doesn't care about all that, and that's why the films are so special. I don't know. All I do know, though, is this film made me take the time to post this, and that says a lot in my book. Check it out if you can find it.

love and hate

Author: raisin_face from United States
1 July 2007

I auditioned for Mr. Holden in 1999 for the lead female role (Jenna) in "My Father's House," and remember him saying then - after I asked him what he was looking for in regards to the scene I was about to do - "Make me love and hate you at the same time. Or one or the other is fine, too." Then he chuckled.

I didn't get it then, but after reading some of these posts about this film, as well as a recent online interview at Rogue Cinema, I do now. Well, I think I do, anyway.

Him and his films seem to have their absolute haters and their absolute lovers, nothing in-between, and I have a very strong feeling that that suits him just fine. And I have always thought that was a good sign when it came to works of art. And artists, too.

Anyway, I came here today to find out what he's up to now (after running into one of his producers, Kerry Johnston, recently at a restaurant here in Hollywood on La Cienega - who said he was about to begin filming his seventh film at the end of this month in Wyoming - though I suspected she was purposely throwing me off his trail, as she looked at me like I was a stalker), and, remarkably, IMDb only has this, his first time behind the lens, listed. Not sure why, because he has directed five other films. But for some reason, as I was alluding to before, I bet that's just fine with him.

Mr. Holden, I'm going to try and email you now (I can't believe your email address is listed here!); but if you by some chance come here and read this first, I'm eight years older now and have thickened my resume substantially, and am ready for my close-up!

Oh, and "management1," I went and checked you out, reading some of your previous posts, and know now why you were so confused with Larry's film: It's not Battlestar Galactica, and doesn't star your late heroine, Anna Nicole Smith. Stick to wondering why that steroid riddle pro wrestler Benoit killed his wife and son, and leave space here for people who are serious about film. Also, your post smells of personal vindictiveness. Did you work for him? Or did you also audition for this remarkable film and get shown the door?

Not worth a rating

Author: ytopbanana73 from United States
17 April 2007

I bought this movie when it 1st became available (to the tune of ~$65) because I was there for some of the shooting and my car was in the movie. What a complete and total waste of money! This movie was AWFUL! Boring, slow, terrible story line...I'm not sure what movie the other people that reviewed this actually watched, but it couldn't have been this one. I'm not really sure what else I can say about this movie other than I wish I could recover the the time in my life that I wasted in watching this horrible movie. After my wife tortured herself by watching the entire movie, I literally fast forwarded through the it until I saw my car and then shut it off...it was that bad. I can't believe this won any kind of award. It must be only for the fact that he made the movie. I have nothing against Larry. I met him and he was a very nice, personable guy. But IMHO, this movie just does not cut it.