IMDb > Dawn Anna (2005) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Dawn Anna (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Dawn Anna is a very inspirational movie and a tearjerker

Author: Kevinisha Gordon (bigchief0418) from New Orleans, Louisiana
10 February 2005

I loved this movie. It showed how you get through life's ups and downs and they couldn't have chose a better actress, Debra Winger. All of the cast acted as if they were a real family, I couldn't have asked for a better cast!! The only thing is that you have to watch the beginning of the movie to understand it, because if you don't watch the beginning you'll get lost.Dawn Anna lets you know that family is very important and spending time with your family is very important. Dawn Anna went through a lot and with the help of her kids and her very caring boyfriend she wouldn't have made it through. I rate this movie a 10 out of 10 stars. It has excellent actors/actresses, and excellent directory and filmography. I LUV THIS MOVIE SOOOOO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!

A movie about a woman who has to overcome lifes ordeals and keep giving with her love.

Author: chrisboelens2000 from United States
14 January 2005

This movie was one of the best I have seen in a long time. The performance by the cast was great. Debra Winger gives the performance of her life and tells all to keep trying when things don't work out. This movie had me crying by the end. Liftime has choose a winner on this one. I hope that they can set the bar for movies that help change peoples point of view and make us all be thankful for what we have. thank you to the writers directors and producers of this fantastic movie. Also i hope that i see Debra Winger in more movies she is one of the best actresses i have ever seen on the screen. She has a way of making me feel exactly what she is feeling. Thanks again!!!!!!!!

Great Story of Tragedy and the Will to Live!!!

Author: ENIGMA05 from Stamford, CT, USA
10 January 2005

This heroic story is about a single mother with four kids that is threatened with a brain tumor and survives a dangerous operation and side effects only to lose her youngest child in the Columbine High School Massacre.

Any normal person faced with such incredible odds would just crumble under its weight or give up. But Dawn Anna isn't just any normal person. She is an extraordinary person. Debra Winger (Dawn Anna) delivers a performance so amazing you feel as if you were right there with her while she was going through all these trying and horrible times. This mother took her daughters murder and turned it into a fight for gun control. She didn't just hide away and let this unthinkable crime leave her hopeless. On the contrary, she is one of the most formidable pioneers for any cause of our time.

If this movie teaches anything, that is that even when the fates deal a cruel blow (or two), the nature of a woman, a mother, a fighter, is to never give up. To continue to live, so that the legacy her daughter left behind lives on forever.

My Rating for this film: 10 (EXCELLENT)

Dawn Anna/Debra Winger: Beyone Excellent: Superb!!

Author: cotati5 from United States
11 January 2005

Dawn Anna is one of the best dramas and inspirational movies of this new year-2005 and one of the best lifetime movies I have seen! Debra Winger has always been an actress who gives "all of herself..she is so natural and wonderful!" I did tape this movie, but hopefully lifetime will repeat it for anyone who has not seen it as yet. I have been wondering what happened to Debra Winger and as such, when Lifetime announced this movie, I was very excited. Ms. Winger has a rare combination of maturity, inspirational, warm, funny, deep emotional sensitivities and yet "the spirited young girl" comes out in her, portraying the "young at heart." Her portrayals leave me with "ever lasting memories!" I applaud all the characters in this movie! Bravo to Debra Winger and Lifetime T.V! Rhoda Friedman RCJ Enterprises

Debra WInger was Awesome

Author: whpratt1 from United States
23 September 2005

Enjoyed viewing this film and the great unity of a family with their mother and each other. There was a bonding between this family no matter what situations they seemed to face and with all the odds against them. All the members in this film showed they all had a purpose driven life and a great will to live. One sister enjoyed watching nature in all forms of life, hawk, young baby chic and dreamed of flying through the air in her dreams. This film was well directed and very down to earth about what life is really all about. Debra Winger,(Dawn Anna Townsend),"An Officer & Gentlemen",'82, put her heart and soul into her acting as she always has in her film career. There was very joyous scenes in this film and also very bitter and heart breaking ones. Great film, with all great actors.

Wonderful movie!

Author: jewelstar21 from United States
23 February 2005

This movie was the best movie I have seen on Lifetime TV so far. I cried from about halfway through the movie until the ending. It's about overcoming terrible events in one family's life and learning that in the end, everything will be OK. The actors and actresses did a superb job or portraying tragic events without taking anything away from the real life events. The cast seemed very comfortable with each other. I agree that one may not understand the meaning of the movie if they have not seen it from the beginning to the end. I would recommend a box of tissues when viewing this movie. I taped this movie and showed my mom, who cried throughout the entire movie.

Dawn Anna Is Another Terms of Endearment ***1/2

Author: edwagreen from United States
27 May 2009

Debra Winger proves her mettle once again as she did 26 years ago in the memorable "Terms of Endearment."

As always, this is a successful film because it deals with a family that comes together to aid their mother, played fantastically by Winger, who is in the grips of a major illness. The cohesiveness of the family structure was never better than depicted in this film. In addition to the warm, caring relationships, Winger finds happiness with a school associate and marriage pursues.

How terrible that one of her children was a victim of the Columbine Massacre. The picture shows how Winger comes to grips with her loss and becomes a crusader against gun violence. A true triumph of the human spirit, this film should not be missed. Endearing as films can be.

Excellent and accurate

Author: keesha_b from United States
14 February 2006

As my husband and I watched the movie, the story was eerily similar. I'm also a secondary ed teacher, have had two brain surgeries (for Chiari Malformation not an AVM though), followed by re-hospitalization for severe infection, and had extensive rehabilitation to learn to speak and walk again. Debra Winger's performance was incredible and like looking in a mirror. She accurately portrayed the unending frustration and difficulty involved in the rehab process, and how it takes its toll on the family as well as the patient. The end was completely unexpected and I can't remember the last time I have felt so strongly for a family. To know this is real just breaks my heart, but Dawn Anna's strength keeps me going, as I'm facing a third brain surgery in the next couple weeks.

Can the scriptwriters spell "hagiography"?

Author: saintcecilia from Australia
26 February 2007

First, I would like to say that Debra Winger's performance is superb. Having had a relative undergo brain surgery and then rehab, I know that Ms Winger got it all so right it was almost painful to watch.

And the last section was excellent (not in terms of what took place) but it showed what it's like to be a bystander/victim, to be suddenly caught up in events that you can't understand and all you can do is wait and hope. It also showed the shortcomings of live TV, with the reporter repeating the same words over and over again - not conveying any information, just intent on avoiding dead air. The coverage of London subway bombings was the same, with an endless loop of firemen in their HazMat gear and a distant shot of the destroyed bus.

So what didn't I like? Well, it's more what wasn't there. I know it's hard making a film about real people who have access to real defamation lawyers if they're so minded. I just couldn't believe that four teenagers and a single mother, living in cramped conditions with limited finances, never once screamed at each other or stomped off and slammed doors or stayed out too late or got drunk or any of the things teenagers do. The five actors playing the children did an excellent job but there was a lack of conflict, thus a lack of drama.

And why is the film so coy about the whereabouts of the father (or fathers) of the children? I assume that, if Ms Anna had been widowed, that would have been mentioned, just adding to the tragedy. So either she's divorced (at least once) or she was an unwed mother. Either way, why not tell us? It would just have added to the sense of her courage and stamina that she managed to raise four children on her own.

Oh, and the scene where all the people line up to give Ms Anna their sick leave? Maybe it really happened that way but I doubt it. How did all those people take the time off simultaneously to hand over their forms? Who was minding the store?

The fact is, ordinary people can be heroes and still be human. Maybe Ms Anna really is as she was portrayed in this film, but the film would have meant more if she and the other characters had been allowed to be, well, human.

Great!

Author: joannabanana324 from Littleton, Colorado
16 January 2005

I think people saw this movie expecting a Columbine story. The title of the movie is called "Dawn Anna" not "The story of Columbine High School", so I think it's safe to assume that the movie will be about Dawn Anna. Yes, Columbine was mentioned because Dawn Anna's daughter died at Columbine. They aren't going to center the story around it. It's supposed to be about a woman who goes through a life-threatening illness and her youngest child dying and being able to persevere. I thought this movie was heart-felt, and I found it even more touching because I actually know Dawn Anna since she substituted at my middle school one day. The movie is about the strength of an ordinary woman and the importance of her family. Don't see this movie if you're expecting it to be about Columbine, because you will be disappointed.