IMDb > "Law & Order: Trial by Jury" (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Law & Order: Trial by Jury"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Law & Order: Trial by Jury" More at IMDbPro »

A good start

Author: schappe1 from N Syracuse NY
4 March 2005

The original Law & Order was 50-50 a cop/lawyer show. SVU is 90% cops. This one is 90% lawyers. The biggest innovation is that we get to be a fly on the wall as the defense attorney plots his/her defense, which has absolutely nothing to do with truth or guilt. It's all playing the system. Tony Bill, in the premiere, calmly describes how he killed the victim and the attorney, Annabella Sciorra simply listens as if this is background information that might come up in the trial and have to be dealt with.

I'm a big Perry Mason fan, where the hero is obsessed with truth and guilt and all his clients are innocent, so this is quite a change. Mason represents what we'd like our justice system to be about. However Sciorra represents who we would want to hire if we committed a crime. She clearly sees her job as getting her clients off: that's what she's paid to do.

Frankly, I think the accused has a right to an aggressive defense that forces the prosecution to prove guilt beyond a shadow of doubt. But if the lawyer knows the client is guilty, responsibility should shift to dealing with extenuating circumstances that might lead to a self-defense or insanity plea or a reduced sentence. That might be better for the client than insisting on a not guilty verdict. And what must the feeling be for a lawyer who knows he/she got a guilty man off. If it's one of satisfaction, there is something wrong.

As to the show, it's promising. I'm hoping that not all defendants turn out to be guilty, (even though all of Perry's clients were innocent), as it kind of sends the wrong message. One of the things I liked about the original show is that they weren't always right and they didn't always win.

Captures the "Order" side of things quite well

Author: canadianfreak_17 from Guelph, Canada
22 April 2005

I have watched almost every episode of TBJ that has aired since it came on and I believe that has given me enough time to make a fair judgement on this show. I've liked it from the very first episode and one of the major reasons why I've liked it is because it focuses entirely on the order side of things. Now I know with a name Trial By Jury that is expected but it not only looks from the prosecutors point of view (which is all wee see on the other 3 L&O installments) but we also see it from the defence side of view too. Defence lawyers meeting with their clients, counseling them on their trials. It is very interesting. I give it 7/10 so far. It has held my interest and I look forward to seeing what else it can offer.

Will miss Trial By Jury

Author: jacobm111 from United States
24 October 2005

I am a huge fan of the all the different Law and Order shows. Of course, my favorite would have to be SVU.

When Trial by Jury came out I thought I would give it a try and really fell in love with it. The main actress Bebe Neuwirth is amazing - I believe she has been in a few of the other Law and Orders for small parts. Over time, I actually found I began to like it better than even Criminal Intent.

Without trying to sound too dramatic, I must admit I am a little frustrated they decided to cancel it. It didn't really have a fair chance I felt and especially for the time frame. Perhaps statistics show differently... I don't know, but to me... Friday night TV can't be good at 10pm - a lot of people are out on the town then.

It Was A Career of Achievement

Author: CharlietheP from United States
4 January 2005

I cannot say enough about Jerry Orbach; I loved the guy and the way he delivered his lines, always believable of his character even if they weren't always great lines. I looked forward to seeing him on Trial by Jury, still pending at this moment. Also if only once or for a season, if Trial by Jury brings back Carey Lowell who has such natural beauty and who always delivered her lines as Jamie Ross as if it were all real and not acting, without chewing the scenery, talking out of the side of her mouth (Joisy?) or "reciting" woodenly, it's worth the viewing. I just wish Jerry O. had had that prostate exam; I could have watched him work forever. Maybe he could have even been allowed to sing "Try to Remember". I can dream, can't I?

This had a lot of potential

Author: dee.reid from United States
16 August 2008

I really hated it when this show was canceled. I'm a "Law & Order" fan, so you can see that I eagerly anticipated this new spin-off series from "Law & Order" creator Dick Wolf. I tuned in like a loyal viewer every week for about two months and then just like that, it was gone. What a tragedy.

Perhaps if Jerry Orbach hadn't died, then maybe it would have had a proper run on television. I was really upset about his death, and maybe that's why NBC felt that this show just couldn't go on without him since his character was to have a significant role on it. That's just my speculation, I don't really know why it was canceled.

"Law & Order: Trial by Jury" focuses on the actual judicial process, including arraignment to sentencing, and the prosecutors and defense attorneys and their behind-the-scenes activity. If I were a law student, I'd be taking notes, but as a criminal justice major, I could probably do better with the other spin-offs, but that's just me.

This was a great show. Like the original and other two spin-offs, "Law & Order: Trial by Jury" is gritty and intense courtroom drama at its best.

How and why it was canceled is beyond me. It just had so much potential to go a great many places. Now it's been relegated to reruns on television.

I expected more from this show

Author: ejhutchaz from United States
20 November 2005

I'm a long time fan of Jerry Orbach, and all the Law & Order series, and couldn't wait for this to start, even tho Jerry had died before it was aired. Based on the second half of the title "Trial by Jury", I was expecting to see jury involvement as they deliberated to reach their verdict. That never happened. I watched the entire run and what I saw was disappointing. Outside of Jerry, and Amy Carlson there were no likable characters. The BIGGEST problem was the lead actress Bebe Neuwirth. While she was great on Cheers and Fraiser, she looked, and came across, cold and hard and unlikeable - and this show needed "likeable" after it lost Jerry. Her wardrobe, makeup, and hair style didn't help either, she just appeared as a cold hard Bitch. What this show needed was Angie Harmon, or Carey Lowell to keep your interest and hold the show together. For me it just came across as a watered down copy of the original, and I wasn't surprised when it died.

Jerry Orbach's demise killed this show as well

Author: bkoganbing from Buffalo, New York
22 February 2013

Law And Order: Trial By Jury is the spin off that didn't sell. Sad it only lasted for not even one season.

It seemed to have everything going for it, a good team of ADAs with Bebe Neuwirth and Amy Carlson as her second chair. Above all it had as an original team of investigators of Kirk Acevedo and the most popular of all the Law And Order characters, Jerry Orbach as Lennie Briscoe.

I don't know if Orbach was sick or even knew how sick he was with the cancer that killed him when he signed for the spin off. In Law And Order prime, his character Lennie Briscoe said he was putting his papers in and was thinking of joining the District Attorney's own squad of investigators.

Orbach only completed two episodes and it was painful to look at him in these episodes that aired after he passed away. It's possible that people who wanted more of Lennie Briscoe just were turned off by the sight of him and no one could really take his place. And he certainly wasn't going to be making return appearances like Carey Lowell and Richard Brooks who were former second chair ADAs.

Such a pity this show didn't take or people rejected it after Orbach died. The team of Neuwirth and Carlson were good, I'm surprised that neither was picked up and made appearances on SVU, Criminal Intent or Law And Order prime.

Remember Lennie Briscoe

Author: Dale McCartney from United States
1 March 2006

It's hard to believe how much Jerry Orbach has aged from the time he left the original Law & Order series to the beginning of Trial by Jury. His hair was completely gray and his voice was a little gruff. I wish he were still around to portray Lennie Briscoe on any L&O series, but unfortunately, that won't happen. I just wish the writers of the original series would mention the fate of Lennie Briscoe since retiring from the 27th precinct to show how the other characters felt about their friend and co-worker. I've watched Trial by Jury and even after Jerry Orbach passed away, I don't think the writers ever mentioned his character's death through the other characters, such as Hector Salazzar or Lt. Anita Van Buren from the original series.

Perry Mason: Prosecutor

Author: (rcastl2335@aol.com) from Houston, TX
12 March 2005

Although it's good to see Bebe Neuwirth back on TV, I'm sorry it's in such a lackluster series. The original L&O is fun to watch because of the neatness of the concept: half cop/half DA and sometimes, like in real life, the good guys lose one. The new Trial By Jury seems needlessly diffused, if not confused, by the drifting cast of DA's, cops, criminals, investigators and defense attorneys. Too many cooks in the kitchen, in other words. But the biggest fault is this:however badly the DA handles the case--and she's been pretty inept in the first 3 shows, in the last ten minutes with a surprise witness, plot twist, writerly incompetence, et voila, the DA wins the case. It's all very hackneyed and contrived, a la Perry Mason where someone confesses to the crime from the visitors seats. I may tune in from time to time simply because of the powerhouse guest stars (Annabella Sciorra, Peter Coyote) but L&O: Trial By Jury won't make my shortlist for must watch programming.

Most annoying website ever/terrible spell check function

Author: berkeleymews from United States
19 March 2009

I liked this version of Law and Order as well as I liked the Angie Harmon episodes of the original. Which is a lot. One of these days I'll make it to the video store and buy the DVD. I believe it comes with something else as there are so few episodes. Amy Carlson and Bebe Neuwirth were very good. I apologize for the spelling errors. I'm using a wireless keyboard that seems to have a mind of its own. Completely irrelevant to my comments, but should I have to actually add four lines of extra text? Why on earth would anyone require ten lines of text? In any event, both lead actresses were very good and the supporting cast was as well