IMDb > Zathura: A Space Adventure (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Zathura: A Space Adventure

Zathura: A Space Adventure More at IMDbPro »

Page 12 of 20: [Prev][7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [Next]

One very awesome motion picture!

Author: (astro_92@hotmail.com) from Crestview, Florida, USA
20 November 2005

I went to go see this movie the other day, and I must say that I was blown away. Zathura is an incredible fantasy film for families everywhere. This picture has vast intensity! There are also a lot of heartfelt moments here as well. Zathura is absolutely guaranteed to captivate anyone who views it.

From the way that I look at this movie, Zathura is a cross between Jumanji and Explorers. The story contained here follows the elements of a fictional vintage board game and the realm of outer space. Two prepubescent brothers, Walter and Danny, are consistently having arguments about anything and everything. They have an older sister named Lisa, who is very sweet but also lazy. Their parents are split apart in the story. The Zathura board game is discovered by Danny (the youngest child) while he is down in the basement of the house in which they are staying. He starts off the game and he and Walter are soon forced to finish it up so that they can return to Earth again where they will be safe. While playing the vintage game, all three children encounter a wide variety of surprises that come as a result of the words that are printed on the game's cards. In the end, they make it back to their rightful place on Earth and their lives are changed forever.

Highly Imaginative and Entertaining !!!

Author: cshep from Laguna Woods, CA.
16 November 2005

Jon Favreau directs this Highly Imaginative and Entertaining tale of two Brothers as they unwittingly become trapped in the game of Zathura .

Favreau taps into the psyche of pre-teens as he takes the viewer on a space ride of enormous proportion !

Danny (Jonah Bobo) the younger brother and Walter(Josh Hutcherson) are dysfunctional siblings, who have rival issues due to the split of their parents. Constantly arguing and battling over territorial rights , Danny finds a game in the basement, Zathura , When Danny starts playing Zathura in the living room, a card appears from the game, warning of a meteor shower, and then it starts raining fireballs in the house, and the game is on. Danny and Walter explore the house ,and they find that they are floating in the rings of Saturn .

The children deduce that the only solution is to play the game and win , to return their home to earth ,

Unfortunately , it isn't that easy, for each time they press the button and advance, another card comes up and a different scenario ensues. There is even a Robot , is he good or bad ?????

Even though you know that winning the game has to happen for a complete resolution, the movie takes many twists and turns , and the boys start to bond, to defeat the many situations that they face .

Some harsh language and contrived scenes but still evenly paced .

I thoroughly enjoyed this film , but I would not recommend it for children under 10 , for there are many tense and emotional moments, that center around the vastness of space and the villains that they encounter, Zorgons.

A terrific film that will make you forget Jumanji(which is forgettable), the plot device is the same but the movies are not comparable .

Interesting Twist at the End , kids will "GET" it ! So take the afternoon off, get the kids, and have a great time exploring the Universe, with "Zathura" , a GREAT adventure with the "E" ticket ride .

I gave it a 9 for originality, imagination,art direction, and a fine directing by Favreau , he must have been a kid once .

Very entertaining movie.....imaginative with computer graphics in my opinion..

Author: NightGoddess from United States
13 November 2005

I just took my 10 year old daughter to see this movie. We both enjoyed it. I remember seeing Jumanji way back, and expected this to be equally dull. I actually dreaded choosing this as the movie we would go see. I am pleased to say, it is a lovely kids' movie, with a lot of action and some suspense. I LOVE fantasy movies and fairy tales, and this movie reminds me of just that. A modern fairy tale, with creative imagery for children, and a few good moral parts thrown in there. Some parts were confusing to my daughter, and I had to explain a few of the time-line events, but overall an entertaining movie. I'm glad we saw it, without allowing other opinions to cloud our judgment.

Really enjoyable movie!

Author: ToAks from Norway
5 February 2006

Zathura for me was a bit more than jumanji was for me 10 years ago.. 10 years ago i was 20 and jumanji felt abit more "overdone" than what zathura did now..

Zathura is in space yes but it feels less CGI and more (hehe) believable , nah really its still just like jumanji , lots of weird stuff happening along with some great comments.

I liked jumanji but i must say zathura is better!.

If you want to watch a movie where you want to understand everything then zathura ain't a movie for you at all as it is full of SCI-FI and has quite a few "black holes" in the story.

Jumanji 2 this is NOT

Author: siderite from Romania
29 January 2006

This felt like a low budget filmed play. An entire movie that happens in a house with 6 actors (one of them being the robot) and some CGI. The story is planned as being a child story, therefore all the characters are ridiculously clichés that make irrational and absurd choices.

The father (played by Tim Robbins) is, of course, the best played character. It has a few scenes at the start and the end of the movie. Why Tim Robbins would play such a meaningless part is beyond me.

The little male brother is a business manager in becoming. Obnoxious, spoiled, refusing to take responsibilities for his egotistic and stupid actions.

The big brother acts in a way at the start and in a completely different way in the end of the movie, thus invalidating the effect that the whole experience should have had on him.

The bitchy big sister plays a part almost as big (and intelligent) as the robot. Even the zorgons are really dumb.

In the end you feel like you've been watching a cheap remake of Jumanji and you've been ripped off. This is not even a bad movie, as bad movies get plenty of ridicule and talk. This doesn't even deserve mentioning.

Your Kids will like this. You? Not so much......

Author: Doug from United States
28 November 2005

I guess it's not fair to call this a rip off, since Jumanji is a Van Alsburg book, but the similarities are so much that Zathura has that against it from the get go. The effects, substance and acting are adequate but that isn't what's wrong here. It's that the concept was already done, and this movie really doesn't add anything to it. The ending is terribly predictable if you've seen or read jumanji, and the "twist" is fairly obvious given Jumanji as well.

Kids, seeing as though they don't care about fresh plots, will like this film. It's not slow, it's got plenty of eye candy. It's not dull, it's easy to identify with, and there isn't much complexity.

Adults, well, it's not as bad as many alternatives, but you won't be enthused. There is nothing to interest you, save maybe the very beginning when we begin to establish the sibling rivalry.

6/10, see Chicken Little first

Austin Movie Show review - funny and believable

Author: leilapostgrad from Austin, TX
12 November 2005

"Would you like to swing on a star, carry moonbeams home in a jar, and be better off than you are, or would you rather go to Earth?" Remember that song? It was from an 80s sitcom about a girl who would talk with her alien father through that crystal thing? I think it was called Out of This World. Anyhoo, I thought of that song while I watched Zathura at Fantastic Fest last month at the Alamo Drafthouse. I'm sure my slight intoxication added to my enjoyment of this film, but I did enjoy Zathura nonetheless (and I'm sure I would enjoy it sober, too). It's a sweet, funny, and exciting family movie that kids will totally relate to and parents will even get a chuckle out of.

In Zathura, two young brothers, Danny (Jonah Bobo) and Walter (Josh Hutcherson) start playing a board game that sends them and their entire house into space. That may sound goofy, but this movie is so well done that you can't help but believe it. Ultimately, it's a lot of fun, and it might even make some kids think twice about how they treat their little brothers or sisters. As a youngest child myself, I can totally relate to the youngest brother, Danny, who just wants his older brother, Walter, to play with him. Is that really asking so much? Hopefully other kids will watch Zathura and learn to get along with their siblings before being hurdled into space. But even if they don't learn that lesson, at least they'll have fun at the theater.

Are you all crazy?

Author: WolvenNight from United States
12 November 2005

Okay. So the movie is GREAT. My girlfriend, 4 friends and I just got home from seeing it. As we watched the movie progress,we became more and more impressed. The story, the game, the characters, the CGI, the sound, etc. GREAT. Then, there is a plot twist! (This is not imperative to the storyline what-so-ever.) Okay. So, maybe it was just us, but did anyone honestly correlate how the 2 time-lines came together? There was a very unnecessary element to the movie, that could have easily been left out. Once you have seen the movie and really thought about it, you will understand what I mean, and that it makes no sense. The movie was amazing till this point, but picked soon after. The director didn't fully think through this one point which inadvertently causes the rest of the movie to lose its magic.

However, this movie was still great! The direction was fantastic (minus that one area) as was everything else. I would definitely say to go see this movie!

Zathura

Author: srcc4rock from United States
6 March 2006

We watched this movie as a family and I must say that I was sitting on the edge of my seat!

I admit that I'm one of those people who gets emotionally involved with the characters, when they're as engaging as these those little boys and their sister are! I was the big sister so I admit I understand her lack of interest in them and what might be going on with them.

I liked Jumanji and I expected to like Zathura. I was disappointed that I knew who the astronaut was before it was revealed in the movie, but the sister's attraction to him was a cute twist.

My children are older, but the moral of the movie wasn't lost on them. This is a great family movie night treat!

I'm poised for the underwater version!

Good.....but could have been much better

Author: abahb1
14 November 2005

From an overall message standpoint, this film gets a 10 out of 10. I really enjoyed the the two actors who play the brothers (Jonah Bobo and Josh Hutchenson). I think in the end, the film is hurt by being too much like Jumanji (the other Chris Van Allsburg). I have never read either book, so they may be very similar, but still, no attempt to separate this film from Jumanji was made.

Dax Shepard is surprisingly good as the astronaut, playing basically a straight role. Tim Robbins makes what essentially is a cameo as the dad. It would have been interesting to perhaps utilize his talent and had him more involved in the film, but again, not knowing the source material, don't know how that would have worked out.

The special effects and adventure which made Jumanji fun falls totally flat here. Were it not for the great performances of the kids playing the brothers, this film would have earned a far less rating than 6 from me.

A good film overall, but one that definitely is a DVD rental, if you really enjoyed it, a DVD purchase. But I would save your cinema money for other films this season.