IMDb > The Magic of Ordinary Days (2005) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Magic of Ordinary Days

The Magic of Ordinary Days (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

What a wonderful movie!!!

Author: diana60 from United States
1 February 2005

This is one of the best, most heartwarming and well acted movies I have seen in a long, long time. I immediately fell in love with all of the characters, especially Ray, portrayed beautifully by Skeet Ulrich. His inflections and mannerisms are superb. Keri Russell has outdone herself as Livy, with her timeless manners and elegant sophistication in handling an awkward situation during an unforgiving era. This is a poignant drama that evokes emotions long since lost in ordinary, mundane television. Congratulations to Hallmark and CBS for providing such outstanding broadcasting, and hats off to Mr. Ulrich...this role is Emmy-Worthy!

Great Hallmark Film

Author: bickett_heidi from Woodbridge, Va
31 January 2005

"The Magic of Ordinary Days" is like reading a good short story...it leaves a lot to the imagination! It is nice to see such a pure love in a movie. Keri Russel is absolutely gorgeous. Her acting... positively charming. Whoever did the costuming/makeup/hair is fantastic. Skeet Ulrich is perfect for his simple yet heartfelt character, Ray. You fall in love with him along with Lily. I also admire how Keri's character is extremely culturally relative. She treats everyone with respect and admiration. What a great role model! Also, the movie teaches an important life lesson. We do have to forgive ourselves for mistakes we've made. How else will we truly love ourselves and feel worthy of giving and receiving love? The title says it all! Aren't ordinary days the most magical? Being around the most genuine, caring people in our lives. I highly recommend curling up on the couch and watching this heartwarming and sentimental movie. 10/10

Beautiful

Author: prncescbb85 from Columbia, MO
30 January 2005

This is a really sweet movie of love that is found through respect and friendship. Livy has gotten pregnant by a soldier who has been sent to war. Her father, ashamed of his daughter's illegitimate pregnancy, makes an arrangement for her to marry a farmer named Ray Singleton. Ray respects that Livy doesn't want to be with him, but he tries to do everything he can to make her happy.

It's really sweet how they grow to love each other. Things are awkward at first, but as they grow used to each other, they grow to love each other's habits. I loved this movie. It was a wonderful movie.

**** out of ****

A Sensitive World War II Story on the Homefront

Author: lavatch from Twin Cities, Minnesota
30 January 2005

In this Hallmark made-for-television movie, two young performers (Keri Russell and Skeet Ulrich) offer thoughtful character portrayals in the heartland of America during World War II. After becoming pregnant by a soldier (who never appears in the film), a young woman is forced to marry virtually by proxy; she is sent to the Midwest by her stern father and accepts a total stranger, Ray, as her husband. The film focuses on the bonding of a decent man of the earth and the more worldly, educated Livy. The film was earnest in its portrayal of the two main characters. There is also some beautiful cinematography of the American heartland. Although I did not find the overall effect of the film entirely plausible (including Livy's relationship with two Japanese women internment victims working the fields), I nonetheless applaud the Hallmark organization for a tasteful effort. Even the Hallmark commercials were refreshing when compared with the annoying generic commercials on television today.

Russell and Ulrich shine in "The Magic of Ordinary Days" to raise my opinion of Hallmark movies

Author: Schaeffer from Boston, MA
31 January 2005

I liked "The Magic of Ordinary Days" very much because of a combination of things. Set in Colorado in 1944, the movie follows Livy, wonderfully played by Keri Russell. After a brief relationship with a soldier, Livy finds herself pregnant. Her father, a minister, arranges for her to marry a farmer who lives in rural Colorado, but Livy is not happy with the situation, especially since she was pursuing a masters degree in Denver. Ray, the farmer, is willing to marry her and raise the baby with her though. Skeet Ulrich is the shy Ray and is also absolutely wonderful in the role. Russell and Ulrich are great together, even though Livy and Ray seem quite mismatched in the beginning. The movie shows the progression of their relationship as Livy's eyes are opened by the love that surrounds her: from Ray and from his sister and her family, but especially from Ray. Ulrich gives his character a love for Livy so deep that he would do anything for her. Their relationship is tested though when Livy's sister visits and offers to take her back to Denver.

I usually find Hallmark movies to be quite cheesy, but "The Magic of Ordinary Days" is a love story given great depth and played out beautifully by Russell and Ulrich. I recommend it to anyone looking for a cute, feel-good movie with very good acting.

Beautiful story of unselfish love.

Author: longhawk from United States
2 February 2005

What I like about this story is it's obvious contrast to today's popular thought. Livy's pregnancy throws all her dreams into jeopardy. Today's world would have a "quick and easy" solution to her "problem," but children still had some degree of respect for their parents' wishes in the war-hardened America of the 1940s. Her daddy's plan wasn't easy to stomach, but as Ray said, this marriage of convenience between a troubled young lady and a rock-solid family man in training might just be "God's will." I highly recommend this film to anyone wanting a refreshing look into a simpler time, where "simple" people did the right thing, regardless of the personal sacrifice. What they ended up with was often far greater than they ever dreamed of in the first place.

The Best Since the Sarah, Plain and Tall Series

Author: jjr3929 from USA
3 February 2005

**** May Contain Spoilers **** Quite bemused by the recent array of Hallmark presentations, their plots questionable and their characters unappealing, I anticipated this time a decent film previewed in the Hallmark Video News. I always liked arranged marriages story lines because of the awkwardness and the development, and I hoped this would not disappoint.

And it did not.

I agree with so many previous posters: the settings -- time and space -- are beautiful, the characters respectful to each other, including parent to child and child to parent, and the slow, easy development of the relationship between Ray and Livy. The casting is perfect.

In a DVD extra, Skeet Ulrich spoke of the need for body language as a means to communicate -- and this is the outstanding feature to this film. Notice all his facial expressions -- raised eyebrows, slight smiles, reddened or full face, turns of the head, and so forth. Their not touching and sideways glances are so expressive. Mare Winningham's looks of concern, worry, or joy are great.

And the dialogue adds to the high quality: his gentle correction of her when he says, "Our farm," and Martha's reply to her husband's expression of love at her party -- "I know." Plus all the other words spoken -- the two friends at the church -- "How'd you meet?" and their looks when Ray, Livy, and covered cake left, one craning her neck -- Slim's tribute -- great.

So a huge thank you to Hallmark and a plea for a sequel that maintains this perfection -- no surprises, just more of this extraordinary "ordinary" story -- with, of course, the same cast. The Sarah series maintained the integrity, parts one through three -- so it's been done well before.

Loved It!

Author: rekab9 from United States
31 January 2005

Amid all of today's ultra-hip, edgy shows, it is so nice to see something so normal. I must be a throw-back to the old days because I would far prefer to watch this kind of movie than the majority of what is produced today. I could have done without the whole German POW thing which was a little unbelievable. Also, the friendship with the two internment camp detainees was a little distracting. That time could have been spent focusing on the day to day lives of Ray & Livy. I have to admit that I would have preferred to see them fall in love and at least share the same bedroom before the baby was born. Mare Winningham was fabulous, as always. I would love to see a continuation of this family. There are so many issues that could be addressed - Daniel discovering his history, Livy & her family, more children. Of course, Daniel is about the right age to have been drafted during Vietnam - that alone would make a great movie!

Great Movie

Author: ManUDevil420 from United States
30 January 2005

This movie was amazing! My roommate and I stumbled onto it while we had nothing to do on a Sunday night. As the basic storyline goes... Livy finds herself pregnant by a man who has enlisted in the Army (set during WW2)With her father ashamed of her, she is sent away to be married off to Ray, a small town farmer with a big heart. Livy, at first doesn't want to be there, she is not use to the kind of lifestyle Ray is. But she learns to adapt and finds her self falling in love with Ray. While he in return, only wants to do anything to make her happy and would give her the world if he could and even raising her child as his own.

This movie was amazingly sweet and caring. The best acting I've ever seen! Throughout the entire movie you just want these two young people who obviously care for one another to come together and you are delighted in the end when they finally do (although you knew it would happen from the start) It is a amazing movie filled with hope and love.

Quite Magical!

Author: Lee-107 (leena_d@yahoo.com) from India
13 March 2005

'The Magic of Ordinary Days' - the phrase itself is so evocative and beautiful! I didn't know anything about this film or the actors, but when I read the title I knew I had to see it! I loved the languorous feel of this film - everything was tranquil and measured as if the people who had invited you into their home wanted you to take your time and internalize it! I also liked the music. It added a lot to the film! The story had depth and the characters were well etched and rendered by both Keri Russell and Skeet Ulrich. Ulrich especially was amazing! He rendered his character with great subtlety, control and grace. Keri Russell was also really good in her role. Both the actors succeeded in evoking empathy and as an audience you really wanted them to be together and not be parted!

Brent Shields has almost become synonymous with Hallmark, he's either produced or directed most of the Hallmark films I've liked! I really appreciate Hallmark for making such films! Amongst all the pretentious films around, they have consistently made small, meaningful and memorable films! I'm glad that they truly believe in their tag line "Where great stories come to life"!

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]