IMDb > Rang De Basanti (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Rang De Basanti

Rang De Basanti More at IMDbPro »

Page 2 of 31:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

Mohe Tu Rang De Basanti....(Colour Me Yellow)

Author: krish278 (krishnashorewala@hotmail.com) from Mumbai, India
27 January 2006

Warning: This is not a movie for he faint hearted or for escapists looking for brainless entertainment.

But if you belong to neither of those categories then this one's for you. As a viewer, I didn't know what to expect from the movie. Sure Aamkir Khan was known for quality cinema and all but Mangal Pandey had come as a huge disappointment and I was thinking that this would follow the same lines. Thankfully, I was wrong.

One of the most different movies ever seen on the Indian Screen, it is a novel experience for the average moviegoer. One cannot really categorize this movie as Action or Romance or Patriotic etc. However, it falls under one category perfectly: Cult. This movie is sure to achieve Cult status especially among the youth. It has scenes from the lives of Bhagat Singh and other Revolutionaries (the sepia tone give it a really authentic feel) as well as the state of the current youth. But what really makes this movie stand out is how it makes a successful comparative study between the Incidents and Events in the Lives of our Pre-Independence Heroes and the Lives of the Modern Youth of India. As this comparison is brought out (especially in the Post-Interval Portions), it makes your skin crawl. Also the climax is an exhilarating experience though it will meet with diverse reactions.

The Story: Sue (Alice Patton in an extremely commendable role) is a British girl who wants to make a movie on Indian Revolutionaries like Bhagat Singh and Chandrashekhar Azad on the basis of the experiences of her grandfather who was an Officer in British India. Due to shortage of money she convinces a mix bag of college students and slackers to act in her movie (Aamir, Siddharth, Sharman Soha Ali Khan, Atul Kulkarni and Kunal Kapoor. While making the movie, she becomes good friends with them and even gets smitten with D.J. (Aamir).

Now these guys have a friend who is an Air Force Pilot (R. Madhavan) whose MiG crashes due to its faulty parts. The entire group is devastated. What angers them further is the Defence Minister's (Mohan Agashe) accusation that the pilot was an amateur. But what really pushes them to the edge is when the Police attacks their peaceful protest march ruthlessly not sparing wither man, woman or child. They decide to take revenge....By killing the Defence Minister.

When they succeed in their endeavour, they are shocked to find the Minister being called a Martyr ad being awarded the Bharat Ratna. They decide tat the country needs to know the truth. For this, they take over an All India Radio Station to announce the truth over the radio. What follows is the tense climax that keeps the viewers guessing till the very end.

Analysis: The movie has been treated in a very contemporary manner. The dialogues have been penned beautifully. The script is tight. If the first half is filled with light moments then the second half has its share serious scenes. The Punjabi Dialogues come as a breath of fresh air.

Apart from the main story, there are a number of sub-plots that are included that raise many issues. Be it the views of a Hindu Fundamentalist about Muslims or the views of a Muslim of the treatment given to his community in the country, it makes the viewer think. There is also the love story between Soha Ali Khan and R. Madhavan as well as the controversy regarding the faulty parts in the MiG airplanes purchased by India and the money made by selfish industrialist (Anupam Kher...wasted) and Ministers.

The Music is Excellent. After a hiatus we see A.R. Rahman in full form. The Title Track gives the viewer a sense of elation and the colourful picturisation leaves you wanting more. Also other songs like 'Tu Bin Bataye', 'Paathshala', 'LukaChhupi' and 'Roobaroo' leave an impact on you.

Full Marks to Rakesh MEhra for the treatment of the subject. There are a number of scenes that give you chills like:

1) D.J.'s breakdown at Sue's house after returning from the hospital. 2) Madhavan's last remains brought to his house for his mother and friends. 3) Atul Kulkarni's delivery of the poem 'Sarfaroshi ki Tamanna' as Ramprasad Bismil. 4) the Jalianwalah Bagh Massacre sequence with replacing the Defence Miniter for General Dyer to explain its contemporary relevance.

However, what really makes this movie a true accomplishment is the performances. All of the above would be non-existent if it wasn't for the stellar performance given by the entire cast. Aamir Khan is excellent as the care free Punjabi, but he doesn't steal all the attention. He is supported by equally riveting performances by Siddharth, Kunal Kapoor, Sharman Joshi and Atul Kulkarni. Soha Ali Khan is a revelation compared to her prior films. Her breakdown on hearing of Madhavan's death is one on the most amazing scenes from the movie. Alice Patton is equally good. Her Hindi is sure to strike a chord with the Indian cinegoers. Also, absolutely amazing performances come from Waheedaji and Kirronji. Both lend brilliant support to the movie.

One the whole, this movie is a novel experience. A definite recommendation to every youth of India as well as the World. It is a movie that gives you fodder for thought. Also, it is one of those few movies that actually lives up to its tagline: A Generation Awakens.

Authentic, astounding, amusing, astonishing, amazing, awesome.....

Author: Unknown Person from United States
8 April 2007

Movies we view come and go, releasing from our minds; however, this particular movie left behind a mark in my heart. It is definitely one of the best movies I have ever viewed in my life. I find it pretty ridiculous when such a movie is compared to LRMB.

What i favored most about this extravagant movie was that there was an attempt to conveying a message, and the message is revealed very thoroughly. Human beings tend to complain about negative occurrences, ministers, corruption, unemployment, etc...Yet, rarely any one steps up to change what's wrong, and eventually nothing progresses. This movie encourages you to make a difference in society, and change what is erroneous.

EVerything about this movie is just absolutely unique - the screenplay, the colors, the performances, the songs...EVERYTHING. All actors played their roles top-notch. Every actor had an impact in the movie, and should've received equal credit from my perspective. Amir, Sharman, Siddharth, Kunal, Atul, Soha, Waheeda, every one stepped up to the plate. Some actors were over looked,such as Alice Patten and Sharman Joshi. Alice had dedication towards her work - her Hindi was very well fluent, and so were her expressions. Sharman did a great job acting innocently comic. Soha's reaction after Ajay's death was natural - she fitted into the very skin of her character. Siddharth is a fantastic actor, and hopefully will make it big in Bollywood one day, he handled his character to the maximum level. Amir, as usual, did not disappoint. He was awesome, and very authentic.

The movie was modern - so today, and it was something that we can easily relate to.

Honestly, when I first purchased the movie last year, I thought it was an over-rated movie just because of Amir Khan's comeback; nonetheless, after watching it, I was proved wrong. It was just "wow", beyond words. I couldn't manage not to cry at the end. THe quotes in the movie were just lovely, and has the possession of very deep meanings.

Overall, this movie deserves a 10, without any questioning. It is a message to the youth of the present era. Get out there - change the negative aspects of the world. This movie DOES NOT ONLY GO FOR INDIANS, however all other countries in south Asia, which contains issues such as corruption, over population, and so forth. I am a Bengali, and the movie impressed me as much as any Indian - because the situations in Bangladesh is alike. Ministers are stealing the country's money, and they are not caring about the people, or doing anything to improve the country. People suffer each day - due to their very actions. It taught me that we should do something about my country's political groups, and Prime Ministers. WHOEVER DID NOT WATCH THIS MOVIE, YOU ARE NOT AWARE OF WHAT YOU ARE MISSING - go watch it! =D.

Rang De Basanti - Reality Does Bite! ***Sheer Brilliance***

Author: the_mantra_man from USA
30 June 2006

RDB is the rise of a new genre of films for today's youth that will be hailed as one of the all time classics. If Yuva was the ignition RDB is the Spark that lights the fire.

A script that is almost flawless and executed with unimaginable comparisons to the pre-independence era is extremely hard to portray. Also to grasp the audience by the throat from the word 'Go' in this over critical world is stunning.

I've watched RDB about a dozen times now and I must say it is equally powerful for the message that needs to be conveyed regarding "doing" rather than "gossipping" and "being a spectator or passenger in the so called 'system'". We have all been there, we have all done it and are still doing it but RDB makes you more than just aware of it.

A virtual tag line "Koi Bhi Desh perfect nahi hota, Usey Behther Banaana Padtha hai" is quite adorable and delivered by different personalities with exactly opposite ideals, at different times in the movie. Was it right to eliminate a bad powerful person? Maybe Not but it is definitely a way to get the QUICK attention of the ever so unfocused youth of India, myself included.

R.O.P.Mehra has presented RDB for the youth and done full justice to them. At the end of RDB, one definitely feels that he has had some kind of rub-in with the government regarding MIG's. He seems to have put his heart and soul into RDB. I wouldn't be surprised if his closest kin was one of the pilots affected due to bad parts in the MIG's.

Aamir Khan as DJ (short for Diljeet) has essayed a role that is funny yet focused, comic yet concerned, silly yet sensible and a loafer who becomes a leader. The complexity of this character is probably lost because of the ease at which Aamir is able to become DJ. Being a Bombay-ite to transform into this ever so likable Dilli-ite with that awesome Punjabi "oye pehen de takke.." transformation was dumbfounding. On the other hand he is Chandrashekar Azard. No Doubt.

Siddharth as Karan Singhania & Bhagat Singh is a revelation. A calmness shown by him breathing life into a character who just "Loathes India" and becomes the voice of the 5 man "Rebels with a cause" is sometimes too hot to handle. The emotions and the sincerity of the character are given more than enough respect by Siddharth. He will go a long way in handling intense roles very easily.

Soha Ali Khan as Sonia urf Durga Bhabhi is fresh and practical. She does have lots of similarities to Saif Ali Khan but still stands out as her own woman, not just a Sharmila Tagor or SAK clone.

Madhavan in his short role as Lft. Ajay is very effective and has a magnetic presence that the group of friends look up to. His chemistry with Soha is simply natural.

Sharman Joshi as Sukhi has perfect comic timing and is a great sidekick to DJ's jokes. He does show his ability of serious shades when the film turns into a "fighting for a cause" saga from a light one.

Now, the newcomer that I think will get a lot of looks due to his personality and charisma is Kunal Kapoor as Aslam. His difficulty in dealing with a petty family clinging to old virtues and his loyalty to his friends is just too perfect. His physique can only add to his characters in the movies to come and he could be the perfect raw material for directors who want the next "Angry, Sensitive and Sensible" young man.

I just hope RDB does not stay just a movie but truly awakens India. This one is a 10/10 for sure.

good mix of fun and message

Author: Amrit Singh from India
30 January 2006

The tag line of the film says it all, A generation awakens. This is an attempt to awaken the generation X to the reality, to encourage them to make a difference without giving lengthy lectures and preaches on patriotism and nationalism. So, does the film succeed in doing so..?? Well to a large extent it does. The film manages to invoke the feeling for the nation without any heavy dose of loud hardcore patriotic dialogues. The film is a good mix of fun and message. It delivers the message without loosing the essential fun factor. Amir Khan's one liners keep you alive all through. As expected Amir Khan steals the show but the second leads stand out as well with some good performances. Cinematography, direction and screenplay are of first grade. This one also marks A R Rehman's return to form with some marvellous songs and background score. I would have rated it 10/10 only if the climax was handled a bit better. The end of the story leaves a lot to be desired and the moral of the story is not very clear by its climax. A genuine, honest and good attempt nevertheless. See it and feel good, feel proud and feel moved.

It sure did Paint my heart Basanti

Author: rebel_wid_a_coz from India
30 January 2006

This year gets a perfect start with Rang de Basanti...A movie that is so contemporary...After movies like Dil chahta ha, Black this one really hits me as something new and something different..to start with the story and direction is avant grade and not to forget the acting which has been outstanding...the story has been well thought out..the characters well skated as perfect as when they die in the end the casualness that they depict touches your heart...things they do in the heat of the moment becomes a realization that even they are unaware of and then the big one the climax...many didn't like it..But i just loved it...Bollywood has to learn from this movie to make climaxes like this..the back ground score is outstanding and needs a round of applause..and the cinematography is an institution for aspiring cinematographers....the movies ends on a sad note and still leaves you with a smile...believe me very few movies make that happen... Once again Amir has proved the fact that he is a rock solid actor and the new bunch of actor are a boon to the film and hats off to Rakeshy Mehar for giving us those goose bums and those moments of pride and realization in a much more contemporaries style...It sure did Paint my heart yellow

I have rated this 20, just that IMDb doesn't allow more than 10 :)

Author: shree12777 from India
26 February 2012

Absolutely no words required for you if you relate to India in some or the other way or know something about India or want to know something about India. Just a word of caution, this movie may keep you thinking for hours if not days and weeks.

Aamir Khan, Rakeysh Om Prakash Mehra, and even A. R. Rahman just contributed to shoot something as eruptive and yet gorgeous as India - more of a Before and After comparison where there is not much of a difference. Bottomline: Kudos to Mr Mehra for shooting the longest ever commercial till date. The movie sells it to you. And, hard sells!

A. R. Rahman got the nerve of the movie and composed his usual best, but still nothing compared to Roja yet. Mehra got lucky and I would have prayed him if only I were to decide not to watch his other movies. Aamir gets lucky every time, he is a carefully marketed commodity which won't lose its luster in the near future, at the least.

Definitely one of the best movies ever made.

Author: yousufsmehmood from Pakistan
9 July 2009

When I first watched Rang De Basanti, it started out as a fair film, telling the story of a group of friends making a film about freedom fighter Bhagat Singh and his friends. As it progressed on i realized, well Aamir has done better than Mangal Panday. Then after the intermission, i said, "hmmmm...good film" and i don't say that easily. But when the film ended i thought "Finally symbolism has returned to Indian cinema, and Aamir has regained his status as a superstar." Aamir Khan easily outclasses himself and all the other performances in 2006 and breathtakingly acts very naturally. This performance is unlike any of his previous ones and certainly the best performance by an actor of his age. I'd even say that he outclasses Mr. Bachan in Black and Paa. For this two reasons are present. No.1 both of the roles by Amitabh in Black and Paa were overplayed and both films were copies from two very good Hollywood flicks. The rest of the cast is also very well put together and each and everyone pulls off a decent performance. The soundtrack of the film is perfect for its mood and this is coming from someone who does not, under any circumstances acknowledge A.R Rahman as the Mozart of India. I'd recommend this film to anyone who has taste for good cinema and who loves films with a message, because at the end the message in the film is what makes it memorable. Hats off to Rakesh Omprakash Mehra, Aamir Khan and A.R. Rahman and a memorable thank you to the supporting cast that made this film the best of 2006 (in my opinion).

Leaves you moved, and speechless all at the same

Author: G Singh from United States
24 February 2012

"I always believed there were two kinds of men in this world, men who go to their deaths screaming and men who went to their deaths in silence. Then I met the third kind..." Those were the first few lines of Rang De Basanti, which is more than just a movie to me. It's a wake up call for anyone who witnesses injustice and just watches. For anyone who wants a change. Ultimately, Rang De Basanti scores due to its innovation. The film does not shy away from being unconventional. Rang De Basanto is a treat to all who love great cinema and to everyone who loves their country.

Sue, a documentary filmmaker from England wants to tell the story of Bhagat Singh and his fellow revolutionaries. Despite opposing views by her bosses, she goes to India to make the movie. The story of these men is important to Sue because she read it thru her grandfather's words from his diary. Her grandfather, who was a jailer during that era, had very strong opinions of these boys. Sue reaches India and sees her characters through a young group, and then begins a journey, an awakening.

Rakesh Mehra grips you just from the first reel where you see Bhagat Singh's execution about to take place. From beginning to end, one thoroughly enjoys the flick.

Rang De Basanti's plot is not really what makes it work. It's the characters the viewer understands, loves and in the end leaves the theater with. It may be an ambitious Sue, the lovable D.J., the intense Karan, the crazy Sukhi or even a character like Pandey who one starts out hating and ends up loving.

The moments are also another thing one leaves with them. The talk about corruption etc is excellent and so real. We all talk about this in our everyday lives and can't help but agree with the talk. The characters are straight out of reality.

There are flaws here, like every movie. The second half does lose steam at times. The biggest problem people had with this movie was the climax, which I thought was also a drawback. I did not hate it but the film could have ended in a different way.

A.R. Rahman's music is first rate and comes at the right time. Thankfully, the songs do not interfere with the narrative here. And they're all brilliant here. Cinematography is international standards here.

The writing is good for the most part. The way the stories of the revolutionaries of the past and the present day group collide is brilliantly written. Dialogues are superb.

Rakesh Mehra's direction is flawless. It kills me to say this, but I don't think he'll make another film like this again.

Now to the performances...but before that, let me say that there is not a hero in this movie...besides the director. What I mean is that everyone's a character here and performed with amazing amount of competence.

Aamir khan lives his role here. Everything is perfect in his performance and one really doesn't expect anything less than that from this fab actor. He's terrific.

Sidhart is a revelation. Kunal Kapoor is first rate. Sharman is lovable. Soha plays her part right. The actress who plays the British filmmaker is outstanding. Kirron Kher is great. Waheeda Rahman is as always. The rest of the cast supports well.

One more performance I'd like to mention is that of Atul Kulkarni. He's just brilliant. The way his character changes, you see it but he does it so subtly and wonderfully. He's one underrated talent.

Overall - Rang De Basanti is not perfect, but I don't think there is a perfect film out there. However, it does force you to think and at the same times gives you a great time.

Why this movie was incredible.

Author: mariotofu from Virginia
26 December 2011

Now I won't really go into detail about the plot because the idea is great, honestly it alone could have made the movie pretty good. The cinema style and the realism of the movie is what got to me.

Stuff like this has happened before throughout history where people take the law into their own hands for the sake of justice. For the sake of clearing corruption.

Rang De Basanti makes you think. No matter what your viewpoint is on government, politics and corruption because even the characters themselves are split. This was the first movie (Not just Bollywood) that actually made me put myself into the situation of a revolutionary and in the position of a politic leader. The passion some people have for their country and the freedom of others is remarkable. Before this movie I thought about the topic only when necessary because as an American, we don't directly witness the corruption. Many don't until it's pointed out towards them. Every person in the world needs to watch this movie. Because no government is perfect, we must make it perfect. As I said before this movie will make you think and leave an after-effect for days. You might be the type to criticize the government but never do anything to actually help, there's a character for that. Even he see's what he must do and what is right, only the situation can show who can be a true revolutionary.

How did it do all that? Well like I said before the plot is pretty good, it's original and it has good direction. What make this movie spectacular?

The great cast and their performances is the first thing that needs to be pointed out. Alice Patten does a great job and really blends into her role more than any character. Not saying the others don't but she just does it so brilliantly. She was ideal for the role because she has the mild beauty and spark. Amir Khan obviously outshines the rest of the cast again. Can you believe this man is 46? I couldn't during the movie. I didn't once think "Hey look at the 46 year old who has a teenage daughter my age." because he completely melted into his character. Spectacular performance. He pretty much blended into the rest of the gang but obviously. He blended into his character who was the hardest to portray. The rest of the cast was about the same but Siddhartha did stand out. His character was the rich youth who only shows negativeness. Without these characters exactly where they needed to be...this movie might have not been so great.

The second thing that made this movie stand out was the utilization of the Past-Present shift technique through colored flashbacks. It kept me entertained and both astonished at how bad the revolution was in India.

The Music was excellent, I wouldn't say the movie couldn't have gotten better music but it did set a realistic mood. Thank god this wasn't a musical or all respect for the movie would have gone down.

This movie shouldn't be compared to Swades. Although that is a great movie, that's what it was...just a movie. Rang De Basanti is a call for change and an eye-opener. Every Desi should watch this movie because the condition in Pakistan and Bangladesh are exactly the same as India.

Rang De Basanti.....Bollywood Awakens....

Author: Shubham Gupta from India
15 April 2011

Aamir Khan is my all time favourite actor.His movies are kind of festive seasons for me.He was returning to silver screen after a hiatus of almost 4 years.And obviously my excitement and expectations were both sky high.I,like always wait for his movies with bated breath.The movie released on republic day.I saw it.Superb,Immaculate,Exemplary and what not...Well movies kind of RDB are once in a lifetime experience and missing it is not less then a sin.The more i see it the more i love it.It really is a thinking viewer's movie. It will touch you to the core.It has now become my all time favourite movie.Well,i have too many things to say but then too less too, about this heart wiggling masterpiece.The transformation of fun loving college guys to the rebellious freaks avenging for their friend's sacrificed death against the administration has been fantabulous. Aamir Khan as DJ played his role with perfection.It has only enhanced my love and respect for him.Other actors should not be deprived of their credit especially siddharth and sharman were terrific.Now,director did full justice to the the movie by not over-or-under doing anything.The contrast screenplay maintained throughout the movie was the main highlight.He has taken really best out of each actor.Ending was quite throat lumping but then "Good" movies have to have such things .Music has also complimented screenplay very well.Background score is extra ordinary and the song Luka Chuppi touches the soul.All in all best movie to come out of bollywood till now.The movie will take bollywood to next level....hopefully....bestest,super extra ordinary,brilliant,........and......

Page 2 of 31:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]