IMDb > Rang De Basanti (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Rang De Basanti

Rang De Basanti More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 33:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Celebrate your Freedom ...

Author: gauravb21 from India
26 January 2006

Paint It Yellow…. Oops….that's suppose to be Rang De Basanti….. Well that's exactly the director tries to convey. Its about today, us and our present, yet the similarities we have from the Pre-independence era. The Gen-x who knows Mac-D but still prefers the Dhaba Paranthas with sweet Lassi. However they restrict their national values only to food and nothing more. Its not a run of the mill stuff with 6 six romantic songs, couple of foreign locales and then finally some emotional drama….. No no no….. Rang De…is a Cult movie. It is more of an introspection, a food for our thought process. It makes us think, as to how should we actually celebrate our freedom. I was really moved by some of the ending lines by the narrator, "I thought there are 2 types of people in the world, one who die crying and other who move away in silence but today I learned there is third genre, people who go laughing". That says it all…

Rang De… is definitely a very brave and innovative attempt by the director and for that matter he has selected a near perfect cast. However veterans like Om Puri and Anupam Kher looked disposed. All the characters grow gradually in the film and make you think their way. Everyone is given enough space to justify their talent. Rakesh Omprakash Mehra is a director of the new emerging Indian cinema, he always tries to bring in something very different. I was really impressed by his last attempt in 2001 for Aks (Amitabh Bachchan and Manoj Bajpai ), and he definitely has succeeded in making another fabulous master piece. The highlight of the movie is the great use of cinematography techniques. Its probably for the first time in Indian cinema that juxtaposing has been used with such a great effect. The way each character gradually immerses into scenes from the past leaves you fantasizing about the hard work that has gone in the background to create this, both technically and on the part of the actor.

The movie starts on a very high spirit reflecting today's youth mindset who believe that patriotism is something that looks good in history chapters and today's world is far ahead of all that, they would prefer to go boozing and dancing rather than thinking on any of those lines. The way the campus scenes are shown really makes everyone go down the memory lanes of beautiful college days. This is followed by some intriguing drama and events which turns the life of a group of buddies upside-down altogether.

The film grows on you gradually. The director has made sure that there is a clear message in everything he presents, even the group of boys represents different sects of society and religion. Hence creating an appeal for everyone watching it. Music is another high point of the show, its foot tapping and very much with the mood of the subject. The songs give you a sense of freedom from within, a freedom to think in one's own way. A.R. Rehman doesn't need any introductions and he is surely one of the most original music directors we have in the country.

The brilliance of Aamir Khan is something very difficult to narrate, he has proved it umpteen number of times that he is truly the most versatile actor in the industry. His comic timing in the first part is better than anything seen in recent past. He is extremely fluent even with difficult Punjabi tongue twisters and the acting prowess he has shown would be very difficult to match by anyone around. He appears so natural and his complete look with new hairstyle (which is now part of his every new movie) gives a very striking combination.

Well the most wanting part of the whole thing has been the script to certain extent, it appears very loose in the second half and at times gives a droning feel. Few new ideas presented by the author looked half-baked. However it has been the technical expertise of the director who managed to save the things with some outstanding camera work and editing.

Rang De … is for sure a must watch movie, it doesn't have any preaching but still it will force you to think once. As they say it "There are two primary choices in life, to accept conditions as they exist or take upon the responsibility to change them". I believe most of us want to bring about the changes without doing anything, so its time to think again folks and take some responsibility, lets Paint It Yellow …

A must see for young India

Author: Kripa Rao from Mumbai, India
26 January 2006

The movie released today after a lot of hype and controversies. I went to see it expecting it to be a little different from the standard escapist fantasies churned out by the Indian film industry (of which I am not a fan). What I got was something so very different from what I had envisioned. The humor,the clichés, the nonchalance of youth, the culture, religion,politics... are all there and the best part is that it works. The storyline though is stretched a bit (we Indians need that) but the message is loud and clear. Throughout the movie a great sense of humor is maintained.The performances are all excellent.

I have given this movie a rating of 10 solely on the basis of the originality of the story. While this movie is definitely not Kurasawa or Satyajit Ray, it is one of the few movies from India which I feel will appeal to both the mainstream and discerning audiences. A movie not to be missed.

At Last

Author: Jigarbanzo from United States
28 January 2006

It's about time there has been a Bollywood film about the youth of India. Granted these are college kids and not the average Indian adolescent who sometimes foresakes education for work, they are a good representatives of young Indians both in the diaspora and in India.

Casting is great. Each character pursues their emotion, when their emotions are pursued by circumstances. They express both the emotions at surface and those sunken to be brought out by a situational tide. And they do it with truthfulness. Although some of the elder cast could have been utilized more, the focus on the youth and parallels with past figures are well orchestrated. The character that plays Bhagat Singh, Amir Khan, and Sonia are incredible. Each has their own spotlight where they nudge us from complacency and create an unstable sense of urgency.

This is the best screenplay I have seen thus far in Indian media. Although BLACK had great language through what we saw on the screen, this movie has shown the progress of film- making abroad. Finally! The depth and character development we need are supplied with not just turn of events, but the turn of the screen. We don't need just words to understand a character. This movie shows how well a change in scene isn't a transition but an entity that holds together a character and emotion. And repetition! And repetition of words, dialogue, and attitude through the parallels was very inspiring.

The general storyline of the movie is good. I say good because parts of the youth's leisure sometimes can get annoying as well as the camera-work that accompanies it. At times I wanted to push the film forward and get to the point. But that's the point! Point being that we need to understand the choppy nature of the first half because, chops or not, these characters are transient figures who don't realize their role in life until they have experienced the wholeness of reality. It's interesting that the wholeness comes from reflections of the past. The use and reuse of certain scenes are important in showing the character growth built upon experience.

AR Rahman's music captures the reality unbelievably. We have dance numbers, but they're pathetic belligerent kicking and hand waving. Isn't that what we usually do when we're drunk anyways? Although the use of the music is off sometimes and abrupt, the emotion that each peace carries relates so well to the circumstances. The best use, in my opinion, being Luka Chuppi by Lata M and AR Rahman. The symbiosis between the lyrics and the events on screen are incredible. Dramatic irony at it's best.

The cinematography of this film is great in the majority of the film. The few annoyances in cinematography come with the patchy scenes with the first half during these "leisure" rides and early in the second half. But, besides that - the cinematographer and director have made outstanding use of the diagonal view. The lines and profiles of people and country are so well placed that you begin to understand how crooked life's path can be. None of us have a straight line ahead of us.

What makes me enjoy the movie the most is the humor and cause. You'd think with all the aforementioned details that this is a sobering movie about crooked lives and emotions and such, but the characters have fun. Sue's project is hilarious and the use of extras was really earnest. It is very much how I would be acting with friends, of course only when drunk like they are in certain parts. The cause is very important to this film and it makes it a powerful film because it has this cause.

I'm 22. I just recently visited India. I understood and was confused by the youth of India and this film portrays the ambiguity of India well. There are no answers, there are only actions. And this is what they strive to do in the film. Usually Bollywood movies lose their purpose come the 1st dance number, but the truth of this film speaks more than numbers. It is a film about what comes after pure, white innocence of our youth. And it asks that we paint the difference.

No words ...simply best

Author: Amar Bandgar from India
26 January 2006

all the people who are waiting for good, original and well executed Indian film . the wait is over for you people. Go and watch this movie. i wont tell you anything about the story. from direction to screenplay, dialog's and all other parts in technical sections extraordinary work done by all. the performances of every actor are mind blowing. don't miss this movie. its worth watching. the use of flashback to show the historical scenes, very fine use of cinematography and art direction to show the difference between past and present India. its a journey of boys from college students to the fiery,rebels. No wonder... it gives you real life look..

More Than A Wake-up Call, A Thought Provoking Movie For Our Times

Author: skfazli from United States
31 January 2006

If I wait any more to say all the things I want to say about this great soul-stirring movie I will never be able to say it.It is the best use of the film medium that I have seen in a long long time.Here in the west we have virtually abandoned good cinema.Where are our Capras,our Wilders, our Hitchcocks, our David Leans? We make trivia now that neither entertain nor enlighten.To put it very bluntly, we make utter trash.Good work in the world is being done elsewhere, especially in India where a Bhansali stretches the limits of cinematic expression, where a new Wilder emerges in the shape of Anees Bazmee, where Shaad Ali springs a surprise with a Bunty Aur Bubbly,where out of nowhere comes a Guru Dutt in the garb of Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra and takes us to a new level of awareness and self-discovery through cinema in a stunning masterpiece called Rang De Basanti.

I challenge anyone to name a film made anywhere in the last fifteen years or so to hold a candle to this one.It is simply awesome.As an entertainer it is superb, as purposeful film it goes even further.As a fearless, bold crusader for just causes it is beyond compare.The whole team deserves to be congratulated.

Apart from the tremendous contribution made by the writers and the director of the movie, the people who need to be singled out and applauded for the high quality of their work are Aamir Khan(his best role yet),Soha Ali Khan(who finally claims our attention with this role and is destined to be as distinguished as her mother Sharmila Tagore). Waheeda Rehman makes you feel that Guru Dutt is back directing her from heaven.Kirron Kher who is improving with every picture.And all the boys from Kunal Kapoor to Atul Kulkarni.All have turned in amazing performances.After Devdas and Munna Bhai MBBS, Binod Pradhan has once again shown that as an ace cameraman he is second to none.And what can you say about A.R. Rahman?This time he even sings like a pro.He is paired here for the first time with Prasoon Joshi who makes you think of Majrooh Sultanpuri.But before I forget, I must mention Alice Patten. She is a joy to behold.And she makes a great pair with Aamir.

The film does not have a single dull moment in it.It can be repeated again and again with increasing returns to the viewer.It is a crossover film and needs to be seen by every one in the world.Its publicity and promotion should be geared to that.It should be sent to every international film festival in the world and should be India's entry to the Oscars this year.

Simply Brilliant Story Narration!!

Author: baskinrobbins2005 from India
26 January 2006

I have watched this movie today on the Republic Day of India, and I was really left speechless with the movie. It ranks among the very best movies. The movie has brought out the best performance from each actor. The movie has a very realistic look to it. And to add to the credits for the movie, the direction and the camera angles are simply mind-blowing. I don't think anybody will be satisfied with watching the movie just once. I think the movie is simply EXCELLENT. All those of you who haven't watched it, please do so. The topic that the movie covers is very much relevant and is something that is going on these days in our country.

Brilliant Brilliant Brilliant

Author: surajwmu from United States
28 January 2006

Brilliant! Brilliant! Brilliant! Cannot believe that such a movie could be made in Hindi cinema.Complete Kudos to the screenplay,director,actors and the whole team for producing such a brilliant movie.

It would be a mistake according to me not to support such movies and label them as preachy or patriotic movies for mocking reasons. Reality is it is a sensible movie which talks to all walks of life.

The balance between ideologies,reality and humor has been taken care off in the most spectacular manner; never making the audience feel small,blamed or negative.

The characters are very real and they do make a lot of sense. The issues that have been touched are topics which we choose not to talk about or act on but at the same time it is no lecture and the light heartedness of the college environment makes you feel nostalgic and calm.

The movie is all about hope. Once again awesome job to the rang DE bas anti team! Peace

Film Review- Rang De Basanti- India Awakens

Author: kathuria_nidhi from United States
30 January 2006

Film Review

Rang De Basanti

India Awakens

By Nidhi Kathuria

Rating *****

'Rang De Basanti' gratifies you with uncomplicated, almost melodious humor; it fills any void that Hindi films altogether may have left inside you dry. From the word 'go', this is one film that grips you one hundred percent. It is a film that every Indian should watch. The film simply flows like poetry where characters have the magical ability to bounce into different periods in time and the past and the present conjoin beautifully like a reverie. And in this moment lies the strength that transforms a common man into an uncommon man. He truly becomes an Indian. 'Rang De Basanti' is not a cliché patriotic film. And thank goodness for that! One really needed a break from J.P. Dutta and Anil Sharma brand of films. No more over the top acting, melodrama, reckless display of uncontrollable emotions and forced tear jerker deshbhakti songs. It was about time for a novel storytelling, for someone as passionate a director like Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra to tell and for us to hear and see and become. The actors simply glide through with the story and the screenplay by Kamlesh Pandey, which is the USP of the film. Not to take away any credit, Aamir Khan, Atul Kulkarni, Sharman Joshi, Kunal Kapoor and Siddharth really got into the skin of their characters of ones they are and ones they turn into. Even Soha Ali Khan has given her career's best and her unconventional looks proved only advantageous for the character she plays. What 'Mangal Pandey' couldn't do for Aamir Khan, 'Rang De Basanti' does and more. Madhavan in the cameo gives a true to life performance. Om Puri and Anupam Kher didn't have much to do in the script. Kirron Kher on the other hand was exemplary in her 'pucca Punjaban' character. Veteran actor Waheeda Rehman also did justice to her role. One actor who deserves a special mention is debutante Alice Payton who plays the role of Sue, a filmmaker from London, who wants to make a documentary in India called 'Young Guns of India' based on heroes of Pre-Independence era. Sue wants the boy band to don the roles of Bhagat Singh, Azad, Bismil, Rajguru etc. that only act as a baptism of fire, by virtue of which they find courage and strength that was needed when a cyclone behest their lives and demanded of them to raise their voice; a blast that could be heard by our generation, to shake their souls and have a one voice. And hence the film is beautifully titled 'Rang De Basanti'. The dialogues and lyrics by Prasoon Joshi take the film to another level. While Art Direction and Cinematography of the film almost makes you speechless. Every frame of the film is shot with precision and perfection. Needless to say, the editor has also done a super fine job. And now for the music- A.R. Rehman after the wishy- washy music of 'Mangal Pandey' completely absolves himself. A musical journey that takes you on a roller coaster ride that ends in an Awakening. Well, that's what the film hopes to achieve on some level, without being preachy or affected. Salutations to Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra for giving to our generation a renewed faith and hope, for making us believe that there is a fire kindling in all of ours' souls and no matter where we are and what we do, we love our country.

The Story: A young English filmmaker, Sue (Alice Payton), arrives in Delhi to make a film on Indian revolutionaries and their struggle for independent India. She is supported in her venture by her friend Sonia (Soha Ali Khan). After grilling auditioning sessions, when Sue is almost disheartened and doubts if she will be able to find her heroes at all, she comes across DJ (Aamir Khan), Karan (Siddharth), Sukhi (Sharman Joshi), Aslam (Kunal Kapoor) and Lakshman Pandey (Atul Kulkarni) and she knows she has found what she was looking for. From sheer playfulness, the group gradually starts to feel the pathos the revolutionaries must have experienced in their battles. All these individuals have a different outlook when it comes to sentiments on Nationalism. Ajay (Madhavan) who is an Air Force and plays Sonia's fiancé is instrumental in igniting the fire in them and the events that follow, uproot their indifference towards their country and change their lives forever.

Rating Scale: * Average **Good ***Very Good****Excellent*****Outstanding

Simply amazing performance by all, especially Aamir

Author: confused_eminem from India
27 January 2006

Aamir strikes back guys. Its the movie of the year. Simply amazing performances by all. Though i felt that the movie dragged just a little bit in the beginning, the second half was amazing. The movie begins in a very light manner and gets takes a serious turn in the second half. It basically tells a story of how truly normal students get ready to even risk their lives in their fight against the system. The performance of Soha Ali Khan was better than I had expected. I specially loved the manner in which the historic events were shown. A truly amazing transformation of normal college students into rebels. Miss it and you will regret it.

Screenplay, cinematography and Music - 10/10

Author: Arul Prakash from India
26 January 2006

The movie is a blend of few many good things. The best thing about the movie undoubtedly is the comparison and shift from past to present. For people who thought old values are not for modern days, this sure is an eye opener. An excellent music background score by A.R.Rahman. the cinematography is so damn realistic. Excellent screenplay too. There are certain instances where the screen has more than one event being focused at. This makes the movie more natural and easy to relate to. Siddarth might have done a bit of over-acting. but the sensitive Aamir Khan is at sheer acting epitome. Expecting this to be nominated from India for Oscars. Unlike Dil Chahta Hai it is a more heavy and thought-provoking movie sure to rise Nationalist spirits.

Page 1 of 33:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]